PDA

View Full Version : Naturally scented hair?

MissDixie
April 24th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I've been washing my hair with Indian herbs for a few months now and although I'm having great results...I'm missing one thing! A scent! What are some ways to naturally scent hair? I have some essential oils that I've tried mixing with carrier oils, but it doesn't seem to last for very long. I would prefer using something that isn't an oil based recipe. I've also tried taking FOTE aloe Vera gel and mixing with EOs, but aloe makes me hair feel dry and stiff. And the one time i put a drop in my herbal mix, it made my hair smell weird!! Do you you have any recipes or ideas or EO blends?
I have:
Jasmine
Orange
Clary sage
Myrrh
Frankincense
Cedarwood
Lemon
Grapefruit
Lavender
Tea tree
Rosemary
Peppermint
Cypress
I think I'm missing one or two but I'm not home so I can't check.
Also the majority smell very medicinal is that normal? I bought mine from WF med, next time I will try buying from somewhere else to compare.

door72067
April 24th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I sometimes use either Ylang Ylang or Dragon's Blood EO to scent my hair and all I do is put a few drops in my hand, rub my hands together so the oil is a thin layer on my palms, then run my hands over my hair

both of those scents last for days in my hair

I've also tried sandalwood and patchouli but neither of those seem to last as long for some reason

Maiken
April 24th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Have you tried coconutoil? It smells wonderfull:)

MissDixie
April 24th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I sometimes use either Ylang Ylang or Dragon's Blood EO to scent my hair and all I do is put a few drops in my hand, rub my hands together so the oil is a thin layer on my palms, then run my hands over my hair

both of those scents last for days in my hair

I've also tried sandalwood and patchouli but neither of those seem to last as long for some reason

Where did you purchase the dragons blood from?! I'm excited about this!

kallarina
April 24th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Mmmmm... I like cinnamon. I used it with honey for lightening, but the smell lasted through a couple of washes... and I stretch them too!
I'm not sure how you could incorporate it into your routine, and I do know that some people are sensitive to cinnamon on their skin. So if you try it, do a patch test!

luxepiggy
April 24th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I have a rehydrating spritz made from citrus aurantium amara (bitter orange) flower water, and it smells incredible.

MagicalMystery
April 24th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I sometimes put a bit of cinnamon oil in my hair... although not when I sit in the sun, because it lightens it. Don't apply it with your bare hands though, because it burns the skin. Smells gorgeous though. Love patchouli too.

Raging Wolf
April 25th, 2012, 07:08 PM

MissDixie, if you want to make your own Dragon's Blood.

Dragon's Blood

2 parts sandalwood essential oil
1 part patchouli essential oil
1 part frankincense essential oil
1 part myrrh essential oil

Touch of rose abs., if desired

writer_mom
April 25th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I know what you mean. I have tried using oils and have had poor results with lasting scent. I am looking into using extracts instead to see if that makes a difference. I'll let you know if it works :)

Pierre
April 25th, 2012, 07:39 PM
You may not notice it, but other people do. I scent my hair with either henna attar or a blend of patchouli, ylang-ylang, and tea tree, somewhat alternately. One day years ago I had oiled my hair with this blend in the morning. The evening, I was at a small gathering of people, and some gal I knew peripherally stopped by. I had run my hands through my hair and touched the table. She happened to put her face down on the spot and WOW! Another time I went to pick up my meat order and a friend (whom I had almost forgotten) happened to be there. We came together and she was all over me about the smell (she loves patchouli). Both times, to my nose, the scent had faded into the background.

It probably helps that I leave my own scent in my hair for weeks on end. When I henna, which presumably adsorbs it, I impregnate my hair with the scent of cloves, which lasts for about two weeks and comes out when it gets wet.

door72067
April 25th, 2012, 08:20 PM

I get a lot of oils from Azure Green

www.azuregreen.net (http://www.azuregreen.net)

the one I have, in particular, is the Anna Riva Dragon's Blood

http://www.azuregreen.net/Dragons-Blood-oil-1oz-Anna-Riva/productinfo/OA1DRA/

door72067
April 25th, 2012, 08:27 PM
MissDixie, if you want to make your own Dragon's Blood.

Dragon's Blood

2 parts sandalwood essential oil
1 part patchouli essential oil
1 part frankincense essential oil
1 part myrrh essential oil

Touch of rose abs., if desired

the one I use isn't a blend, it is derived from the Dragon's Blood plant

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/d/dragon20.html

QMacrocarpa
April 26th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I agree with Pierre, if the smell still seems strong to you hours after you applied it, then it's likely overwhelming to anyone else. You get accustomed to scents that are constantly there, and start tuning them out after a while. I really noticed this working at a store that sold incense-- when I first walked in each day I registered this beautiful scent, but later in the day I didn't notice it at all, though it was still there (sometimes people walking in to shop would remark on the nice smell). So I wouldn't amp it up to where you notice it all day.

Raging Wolf
April 26th, 2012, 01:09 PM
the one I use isn't a blend, it is derived from the Dragon's Blood plant

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/d/dragon20.html

I prefer to blend mine, since I make my own shampoo's and soaps from fresh goats milk. Just thought I would pass along the basic foundation, since MissDixie all ready has quite a few the oils in her collection.

meeliah
April 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I have trouble getting mine to smell like anything other than Henna. Its a good thing my hubby was a farm boy. He says he likes it. He also tells me that I smell like coconut oil most of the time because I use it very liberally on my skin. Anything else I try dissipates and no seems to ever notice the smells.