PDA

View Full Version : Getting hair colored-need opinions/advice please

spookyghost
April 24th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I am getting my hair colored back to my natural color this Friday and I would just love for people to comment or give their advice.

My natural color is ash blonde and I want to cover my highlights up so it will look better as they grow out. My hairdresser said that it would be better if I go a shade darker or lighter than ash blonde. The shade lighter did appeal to me because I think I look better more blonde but will my hair look healthier and will my roots be less noticable with the shade darker? Plus, me looking better with blonde hair my just be in my mind-you know?

Next, I have heard people on LHC saying that they will oil their hair with coconut oil before a color to help lessen the damage. If so, do I just oil my hair the night before and go into the hairdresser with oily hair and the color will come out fine?

If I do go a shade darker than ash do you think cassia or a specific shampoo(toadstool has one) would give it just a small lightening affect? Kinda like brighten it a little so the darker shade looks like it pops a little? Gives it just a nice little sparkle?

Last but not least-can I use cassia to treat my hair after I color it? I've heard so many wonderful things about cassia being good for you hair.

I hope this wasnt way too many questions!:D

palaeoqueen
April 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't recommend going lighter unless you are completely 100% positive that the dye can't and won't lighten any virgin roots you have coming through. I had my bleach covered up with a semi (dark ash blonde) and was assured that there was no way the semi could affect my 2" virgin roots... well.... the semi mostly washed out so I now have three tone hair :(

I would recommend going for as close as match as possible.

Covet
April 24th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I would recommend going for as close as match as possible.

Totally agree. I don't see why on earth you'd go a shade lighter or darker, because that still isn't the same colour as your roots and it would still look odd. I'm growing out a full head of highlights at the moment and I dyed them a dark brown to match my roots so I don't have to stare at a demarcation line.

MonaMayfair
April 25th, 2012, 04:43 AM
I am getting my hair colored back to my natural color this Friday and I would just love for people to comment or give their advice.

My natural color is ash blonde and I want to cover my highlights up so it will look better as they grow out. My hairdresser said that it would be better if I go a shade darker or lighter than ash blonde. The shade lighter did appeal to me because I think I look better more blonde but will my hair look healthier and will my roots be less noticable with the shade darker? Plus, me looking better with blonde hair my just be in my mind-you know?

Next, I have heard people on LHC saying that they will oil their hair with coconut oil before a color to help lessen the damage. If so, do I just oil my hair the night before and go into the hairdresser with oily hair and the color will come out fine?

If I do go a shade darker than ash do you think cassia or a specific shampoo(toadstool has one) would give it just a small lightening affect? Kinda like brighten it a little so the darker shade looks like it pops a little? Gives it just a nice little sparkle?

Last but not least-can I use cassia to treat my hair after I color it? I've heard so many wonderful things about cassia being good for you hair.

I hope this wasnt way too many questions!:D

I'm no expert on the dye bit, but it seems best to match to your roots as closely as possible. Then again, I believe dye, even permanent, can lighten up, so the darker one sounds better than the lighter (unless you're going to keep dyeing lighter)

I know a bit about the coconut oil. You can oil the night before to protect from bleach and dye damage. I did this myself before using Sun-In.
I've definitely read posts from people who've done this before getting their hair dyed (or doing it themselves at home) and they've felt it minimized the damage, also the dye took on their hair just as well as usual.

You can use cassia on chemically colored hair. People have varying results, not everyone notices any change in color, but if you do, it will make it more of a golden tone (which can make your hair look lighter)
Some people don't like the effect of cassia on their hair (of course, this is the same for everything, nothing works for everyone) but I use it myself, and it makes my hair feel thicker and stronger and it does look more golden.