PDA

View Full Version : Um really?!

Long_hair_bear
April 24th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Ok so I called the shop that my hairdresser works today for an appointment. I asked for an appointment for an eyebrow waxing and for my hairdresser of 7 years whom I thoroughly trust, to look at my ends to see if they needed a trim. Her boss, the shop owner, answered the phone, and very rudely told me that I would definitely be needing a trim since I hadn't had one since October. I reiterated that I just wanted her to look at my ends, then trim them if need be, but she insisted that I either make the cut appointment or no so she could fit in another client if I didn't. Now I fully understand that, but was greatly offended when she told me I'd definitely need a cut. I told her I take very good care of it, but she insisted I'd need one anyway. Thankfully, my hairdresser is 1000 times cooler, so I'll see what she has to say first, but needless to say, I didn't schedule a cut. :mad:

sarelis
April 24th, 2012, 09:34 AM
How rude! Honestly, sometimes I think these salons are deliberately TRYING to put people off going to them! I have given up with proper 'girly' salons & just go to the local barbers shop when I want a bit of a trim. No appointment necessary, no cack-handed hair washing, straightening, silicone laden products or hard sell, I just get what I ask for :)

kamikaze hair
April 24th, 2012, 09:44 AM
God, how rude, seriously. I cant stand it when someone is this presumptious. There is definitely something to be said for a barber shop which wont fuss, and will do exactly as you ask.

Valfreyja
April 24th, 2012, 10:29 AM
What? Yet another thread about rude hairdressers in a single day? That's it I'm joining you girls at the barber's, those &%$#!& salons can shove it!

DancingQueen
April 24th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Those barber shops doesn't sound half bad - I wish I had them where I lived. :(

pepperminttea
April 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Urgh, that manager sounds awful. Does your stylist do home calls or anything like that?

Long_hair_bear
April 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Urgh, that manager sounds awful. Does your stylist do home calls or anything like that?

Unfortunately, even if she did, I couldn't afford it. I live a half hour from her, but she's so good, I keep going back. :D

Madora
April 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Perfect way to alienate a customer! I hope your hairdresser listens to your wants and respects your wishes.

Hosta
April 24th, 2012, 10:58 AM
The owner won't have a clue when the salon starts losing clients. I am so lucky to have my stylest. When I told her I wanted to stop the pixie and let my hair grow she was really supportive. She timed 1/8th of an inch at my last vist and my hair has never been so soft. I get my hair colored so I know the maintaince cost when my hair gets longer.

Carrie Ingalls
April 24th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry the owner was so rude to you, and I'm glad your stylist is lots more awesome. Are you still going to have your stylist look at your ends?

Long_hair_bear
April 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry the owner was so rude to you, and I'm glad your stylist is lots more awesome. Are you still going to have your stylist look at your ends?

Yep, I'll have her take a look. If she has the time and it needs trimmed, I'll let her. If not, I'll schedule another day. :D

MagicalMystery
April 24th, 2012, 01:59 PM
They're just trying to make money. As someone suggested, if you just want to trim your ends, go to a barber shop. I've been cutting my own hair for 16 years, because I've had horrible experiences with hairdressers.

leslissocool
April 24th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Mmmm.... some barber shops give you whiskey right?

Carissamarie08
April 24th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I'd try to contact and ask for her directly next time.

Long_hair_bear
April 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Nah, I won't go anywhere else for my hair, and there's no barber shops around here. I love my hairdresser but don't like her boss. I've had a lot of bad experiences elsewhere, so I'll never again go somewhere else.

pepperminttea
April 24th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Really? Well, maybe I do need a trim... :alcoholic:

*hic*

Honeyfall
April 24th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Man, what a way to run a business! Whatever happened to 'The customer is always right'? It's not like you weren't already going to be there spending money in the salon anyway.

xoerincolleen
April 24th, 2012, 03:06 PM

I need to know where these barbershops are!

Micayla47
April 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM
How rude! Honestly, sometimes I think these salons are deliberately TRYING to put people off going to them! I have given up with proper 'girly' salons & just go to the local barbers shop when I want a bit of a trim. No appointment necessary, no cack-handed hair washing, straightening, silicone laden products or hard sell, I just get what I ask for :)
this is the third time on this site i've read about a woman who switched to barbers. i'm definitely going to try that next time :)

kallarina
April 24th, 2012, 03:58 PM
You know, I have a hairdresser who is perfectly lovely. I'm so SO upset to hear about all of these awful experiences. I wish I could share mine with all of you.
And funny story... I went to her once for a trim, because I hadn't had one for several months, and she laughed at me and loudly announced to the salon full of people that she hadn't had a trim in over a year!!

Valfreyja
April 24th, 2012, 04:06 PM
"You know, I have a hairdresser who is perfectly lovely. I'm so SO upset to hear about all of these awful experiences. I wish I could share mine with all of you.
And funny story... I went to her once for a trim, because I hadn't had one for several months, and she laughed at me and loudly announced to the salon full of people that she hadn't had a trim in over a year!!"

Maybe salons should put a sticker or something reading "WE RESPECT LONG HAIR" in the window and their adverts. Just a thought? I feel there's a bit of a backlash, not exclusive to this forum, either.

ETA: was meant to be a reply to kallarina, but forgot to quote her! *sheepish*

Lalital
May 4th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I hear you hair sisters. I'll never go to a salon again - they can't be trusted.:eek: I'm wondering what to do when I have enough length to do a trim and hem shaping. I would like to do it myself but my hair is very thick and has many different textures to it so it's not a straight forward job. I'm thinking that maybe a barber's might be a good idea. I would still be nervous though

catamonica
May 5th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Im sorry the salon owner was rude to you. I wouldnt let anyone cut my hair. But your lucky
you have a good hair dresser. Thank goodness you ddnt make an appointment.

Arrow
May 5th, 2012, 04:39 AM
You know what we need? A directory of long-hair-respecting hairdressers around the world. I know this sounds silly, but hear me out.

I have a severe phobia of visiting the dentist. Seriously. I went for the first time in 10 years last week, just for a check-up, and broke down in floods of tears the minute I sat in the chair. Anyway, there is a website called dentalphobia.co.uk or something similar, and they have a directory of "Dental Phobia Certified" dentists, who are experienced in treating patients like me and make the experience as easy as possible.

What we need is a directory of "LHC Approved Hairdressers".
Know a hairdresser who respects and values long-haired customers? Who doesn't tell you to cut it all off or try to talk you into using damaging products so they can charge you a bit extra?
Write down their name and the address of the salon they work in. Then long-haired people in the same area can ask for them specifically.
We hear so many tales of hairdressers who are mean to us long-haired ladies (and gents). Let's reward those who are good to use with our custom!

DarkCurls
May 5th, 2012, 05:13 AM
You know what we need? A directory of long-hair-respecting hairdressers around the world. I know this sounds silly, but hear me out.
What we need is a directory of "LHC Approved Hairdressers".
Know a hairdresser who respects and values long-haired customers? Who doesn't tell you to cut it all off or try to talk you into using damaging products so they can charge you a bit extra?
Write down their name and the address of the salon they work in. Then long-haired people in the same area can ask for them specifically.
We hear so many tales of hairdressers who are mean to us long-haired ladies (and gents). Let's reward those who are good to use with our custom!

I actually think this is a good idea and doesn't sound silly at all. I know some people on here cut their own hair -- or just S&D it whenever -- but I don't trust myself to take scissors to my hair without making the damage worse. :o Anyway, this strikes me as a good idea because there's something similar on this other hair forum I lurk around in, CurlTalk on naturallycurly.com. They have a whole section of the forum dedicated to talking about stylists/salons and they have another part of the site with salon/stylist reviews.
I don't think I would find many long hairs recommending anyone near where I live (the French are so notoriously bad at foreign languages it would be surprising to find more than a handful on this forum -- don't be offended Frenchies, I'm French), but for people living in the US, Australia, Canada, UK, or wherever people speak English well enough to have more than a few people on this forum, well, I think it's a good idea.
(I know so many people who would think me crazy for being so picky about hairdressers.)
Now, how to set it up... :ponder::confused:

And to the OP: I hear you. :D It's like these people don't want you to make an appointment. Admittedly, I can see that happening with me, since I have curly hair I never want straightened and definitely never cut over a centimetre (at a guess, I'd say that's about 1/4") even though you say my ends are damaged whatever whatever. But do they have to be so rude about it? (Has anyone else noticed that according to a hairdresser, your ends are always damaged, even when they aren't?)

cheetahfast
May 5th, 2012, 06:22 AM

My hair salon gives people beer...I'm not sure about whiskey :hmm:.

Honeyfall
May 5th, 2012, 07:34 AM
That's a brilliant idea! Long-hair friendly stylists would get all kinds of business if we only knew where to find them. LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

highlightedmess
May 5th, 2012, 07:34 AM
When I decided to stop getting highlights and quit using non-organic products, I pretty much ruled out being able to go to a regular salon again. I'm also a little nervous about barber shops since they usually only cut short men's hair.

Instead, i have been going to an Indian beauty salon to get my eyebrows threaded and to get tiny hair trims. My hair isn't quite long enough to cut myself yet. This has worked out really well. First of all they are really cheap. I pay $20 for both eyebrows and the straight across trim. Most Indian women have long hair so I'm not worried about them trying to cut it really short. These salons also sell henna services so they are pretty comfortable with LHC style hair methods. The lady who cut my hair last time even told me to use olive oil to make it grow longer :D

Unofficial_Rose
May 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Well, that sells it to me. ;) Would prefer brandy, but whisky will do. I did use to go to a place that brought you Staropramen and had a non-naff music policy. Improved the whole experience no end.

gonzobird
May 5th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I'm a receptionist in a salon and there are at two stylists there that I let touch my hair and it took me a long time for that to happen. I now cut my hair myself and am letting my natural color grow out and everyone there is giving me props for doing so. I have to admit that for the first two years I worked there I went somewhere else and paid $50 for a haircut by girl that I love when I could be getting trims for free, but I took the leap and let my friend/ Co worker at my work cut it. But to be honest, I don't like the shampoo, the combs, and the detangling that goes along with it even though she's very gentle and tries hard not to tug, but I'm just too picky. That's why I do it myself and can hose me head in oils, sleep on it, wash it with my stuff that I like, and trim it myself.(and no dryer attacks)
Sorry I'm new, and that was a rant, but as the receptionist at my work with almost waist hair, I direct the long haired girls to certain people I know would do a great job. And really there's only a handful that wouldn't, ( as far as roughness goes, everyone knows how to do baby trims and dusting and really only take off what you want) its the handing someties that's the worst. And the hair dryer attacks....but again, that's just a few.

I think its super rude how most salon professionals act when they should know hair in and out. And hair that doesn't get heat, is babied, oiled and well cared for doesn't necessarily need a trim just because its been 6 or 8 weeks. But they are a business, and want to cut hair and make it "cool" not grow it. Its unfortunate most of them don't know what to do with nice hair. Its like a doctor that delivers babies that doesn't know how to do a natural birth, but that's a different story. :)

amylou
May 5th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I wish salons didn't act like there's only 1 way to beautiful hair and that's supposedly their way, with all the styling, cutting, dying.. They are really just in it for the money because if you get one of their hair styles, you'll most certainly need to come back every 6 weeks to get it redone or it starts to grow out weird and that means more money for them.

heidi w.
May 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Ok so I called the shop that my hairdresser works today for an appointment. I asked for an appointment for an eyebrow waxing and for my hairdresser of 7 years whom I thoroughly trust, to look at my ends to see if they needed a trim. Her boss, the shop owner, answered the phone, and very rudely told me that I would definitely be needing a trim since I hadn't had one since October. I reiterated that I just wanted her to look at my ends, then trim them if need be, but she insisted that I either make the cut appointment or no so she could fit in another client if I didn't. Now I fully understand that, but was greatly offended when she told me I'd definitely need a cut. I told her I take very good care of it, but she insisted I'd need one anyway. Thankfully, my hairdresser is 1000 times cooler, so I'll see what she has to say first, but needless to say, I didn't schedule a cut. :mad:

That's how it's done. Just say no, and walk on. This person is basically saying what they need based on timing and based on the idea that to make the time they spend with you worth it, they'll schedule an actual service. It is a business. Hairdressers see a lot of hair. I have, personally, a lot of people tell me how well they take care of their hair, and I look at it and have to wonder. So, that's likely this person's experience. Most people think they take good care of their hair, and simply don't know any better. Most people have, in my opinion, crappy looking hair. Most people think they know and simply don't. So I imagine a hairdresser sees a lot of crappy hair too. No one wants my honest opinion because then I'll tell them. Oh well, it's their hair and their life.

heidi w.

PixxieStix
May 5th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I am so happy to have a friend that I trust who also turned out to be a hair dresser who is more than happy to do just as I ask, and even checks out my ends for me and will let me know if they are healthy or need a trim (so far, no trims since fall of last year), she knows this, and tells me I don't need one yet because my hair/ends is so healthy.

I did recently go to a different person/salon last month to get my roots touched up because they would allow me to bring my own henna in, and it was a wonderful experience with a lovely woman about my age who asked me questions regarding my hair care, was happy to hear I didn't wash it every day, and all in all knew proper long hair care. She even asked me if I'd like my hair blow dried or if I'd prefer to let it air driy, how cool is that?! She was super gentle and the products they used left my hair feeling wonderful, they even had hair oil I got to put in because she asked if I used anything in my hair after washing and Ta-da, they had an organic hair oil she was happy to let me use.

Now, I'm pretty sure there IS a listing of long hair friendly salons on this site, I've seen it before, the question is where?... *goes off to search for it*

sparrowswing
May 5th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Now, I'm pretty sure there IS a listing of long hair friendly salons on this site, I've seen it before, the question is where?... *goes off to search for it*
Is this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11326) it?

Gogobaby
May 5th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Awful! I know you like your hairdresser but that salon does not deserve your business. She should be paying you to get your hair cut there!! (I feel that way about all girls with long hair - they are sacred)...

Seriously, my hairdresser told me not to come back for a year because she saw how upset I was when she realised I wanted to grow and she took too much off...

Littlewing13
May 5th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I think what they meant (though theres no excuse for being that rude about it nor explaining this properly) was that a quick check for splits takes 5min, its easy to fit that between clients, so theres no need to book. If you need a trim however, well that can take 1/2hr+ depending on hair type. So from your hairdressers point of view you would be doing her a huge favour to come in at a time when she is least busy, or calling up on the day to see if theres any gaps in her day, so then you dont need to book for a trim, but if you need one then she will have time & not lose any other clients.

I recommend next time you call to ask to speak to your hairdresser personally.

YumiYume
May 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM
oh that was rude O.o...! are some trying to scare people of so they can take a longer lunchbrake and cofee pauses :O? I guess she is the cind of person who only thinks about money and what could be lost if you didnt want the trim, time is money as some say =/, and probobly yelous to of your nice hair that doesnt need to trim often ;P. I agree to those who said that you should speak to your hairdresser yourself next time, and then it will hopefully go better :)

____
May I ask what a "barber shop" is? I live in sweden and never heard of it :P

Pixxiestix: that sounds realy nice :D!!

RisaMoe
May 6th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Wow, I would not have been happy.

Since it sounds like you are comfortable with your stylist, you may want to only deal directly with her when setting up appointments. If the manager has that kind of a mindset, it will only cause discomfort and mistrust for you - which is bad for you and your stylist.

If your stylist indicates that this is the way the salon wants to do business, then I would go find another salon.

jacqueline101
May 6th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Some stylist are rude. I had one every time I wanted a trim I got a whole new hair cut. People hear they just don't listen. It has to do with sales and what ever else they can do to make money off of. I like the barber idea too.

DoubleCrowned
May 6th, 2012, 08:03 PM
____
May I ask what a "barber shop" is? I live in sweden and never heard of it :P

A barber shop is a place where men get hair cuts, shaves, and beard trims.

Tisiloves
May 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Yep :D

http://wins.failblog.org/2012/05/18/epic-win-photos-good-deal-win/

jaine
May 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Were you offering to pay anything for the stylist's time? If not, I think the owner's request was totally reasonable.

faellen
May 20th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Hmmmmmmmm interesting, I never thought of doing this before! Maybe I will accompany my OH on his next visit to the barbers, lol!