PDA

View Full Version : Any frequent trimmers?

elisabeta_b
April 24th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Hello all, I'm glad to be here :). I love long hair and I am trying to grow mine from bra strap length to somewhere between mid-back length and waist length. Half length of my hair is now it's natural color, a medium brown, the lower half being died black (multiple times over). I think non-frequent trimming is not for me. My ends become uneven and get tangled easily at about 2 months after a trim. If I leave my hair untrimmed for more than 2 months, I will eventually have to trim an inch or so :( . By delaying trims I noticed that I am able to grow my hair only very slowly: from shoulder length to bra strap length in 2 years! For the past 3 months I have been trimming mine (by myself: never going to hairdressers again :mad:) a tiny teeny amount every 6 weeks (less than 1/4 of an inch), and I feel that my hair looks so much better. It doesn't look at all like it's getting shorter; quite the opposite. The hair is thick and nice looking and I am taking good care of it but the ends DO get tingly and uneven. Maybe it's because they've been dyed multiple times. I also like the appearance of a thick hemline :crush: . My growth rate is exactly the average 6 inches per year ( i've measured the roots). Now I am taking MSM and hair vitamins in hope that it'l improve my growth rate or at least produce stronger hair. My question is: Are there any people around here who have managed to grow their hair long (not extreme lengths; say waist) with frequent trimming? What advantages have you found to frequent trimming as opposite to very rare trimming? Thank you all!

Avital88
April 24th, 2012, 02:21 PM
honestly, my hair only started to grow when i stretched trims :)
I used to trim every 6-8 weeks too, then i stretched to 3 months,4 months and eventually 6 and twice almost a year.
Hair isnt growing the same rate,some grow slower then others,a lot of times they will catch up after a few months, so my advice is to just try it for one time and see..but ofcourse you can grow your hair long while trimming, but it takes a lot more time. Good luck!

Carissamarie08
April 24th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I havent trimmed since January 2011, and I feel like my hair is growing more because I'm not chopping it off all the time from trims. All I do is S&D every now and then.

kallarina
April 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I used to get a trim every two months or so. Not a drastic one, just a dusting, really. I didn't stop doing that until after I was already past waist. And my hair grows average as well. The key is not taking off length, just having the ends evened up a little, and remove some splits.

nobeltonya
April 24th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I've been dusting the ends every few weeks, to keep it even and remove splits. I trimmed like 1/2 to 3/4 inch recently, but I won't do that again for a while... just dustings every 2-3 weeks again for a few months. If I don't trim it regularly, the ends start flipping under and looking bad. Probably b/c I wear it down a lot and wash every day? And b/c I'm OCD. :p

spidermom
April 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Frequent is a relative term. To some, twice a year is frequent.

So far, my best balance has been to trim about every 3 months.

proo
April 24th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I microdust once every 1 - 2 weeks -
hair growth is 1" per month.
Me thinks there's a connection.

AdaClare
April 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I haven't trimmed in a really long time (about a year maybe? can't really remember :confused:) but probably should have more a bit more often since it was feeling dry/rough near the ends. I actually just had trimmed off 5 inches tonight, since it needed it. (It feels so strange though, I think that's the most I've ever had trimmed off!)