PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Hair Story from a Coworker

JuliaDancer
April 24th, 2012, 06:59 AM
My coworker friend got her hair cut yesterday and the story was horrific. She went in for a regular trim (her hair is always BSL), and found that all the hairstylists in the salon she goes to had dramatically changed their hair. Her stylist suggested that she cut her hair, and she hesitated, saying, "well... how much?" and the stylist said, "oh... I dunno..." and held out her ponytail and said "about here" and CUT THE PONYTAIL! My friend screamed "what the f***??!? are you crazy??!?" and the stylist said "well, there would have been no other way you would have let me cut your hair." My friend is trying to like it, but she hates that her hair is now just a couple inches past shoulder length. When she tries to put it up, it just makes a dinky little ponytail. How does a hairdresser decide that you should make a major change just because she did herself?? I would have jumped up and fought her if that was me. She'd quickly learn never to do that again...

MonaMayfair
April 24th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Whaaaat! I'd sue the salon!

SnowWhite
April 24th, 2012, 07:01 AM
OMG that's terrible! How could he do that? :O
I'm sorry for her

Amanah
April 24th, 2012, 07:03 AM
are you sure this wasn't a bad dream, it seems to surreal to be true.

JuliaDancer
April 24th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Nope, her hair is definitely short. It's not a bad haircut, but when you don't want your hair to be short, you don't want it short no matter how it's styled.

sarelis
April 24th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Good grief, I think I would have slapped that stylist! It seems some stylists seem to think they have the right to impose what they want on your hair, instead of doing what the client actually wants :(

Amanah
April 24th, 2012, 07:09 AM
It's as if she were assaulted, if she has the means and inclination it would be worth a law suit.

Valfreyja
April 24th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Name and shame the salon/ hairstylist! If she wants to sue them, I don't actually think that's very extreme in this case. At the VERY least she deserves her money back! I'm serious. Good thing it wasn't me, I would've given her such a smack, she sounds like a psychopath!! Obviously watched America's Next Top Model makeovers one time too many and lost his/her sense of reality!

MissAlida
April 24th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Oh my!:( This is what I would have done::slap:.

Jessy22284
April 24th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Wow, that sounds insane. At the very least she should have gotten her money back. I would have probably hit her. Or at least made a huge fuss. :angry:

Amethyste
April 24th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Hummmmm... i'd be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii$$ed!! That's Robbery!

Kiwiwi
April 24th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Oh, that's aweful!
But... I don't get one thing. If you'd get my ponytail you'd really have to cut and cut and cut and cut to take it of. One snip will not work. Most people's hair won't just snip off unless it's really, really thin.
So, she just let the woman keep cutting her pony or am I misunderstanding?

Either way! Very, very sad :(

Valfreyja
April 24th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Well, even after one snip the hair is effectively ruined though, isn't it? Who's going to keep half a ponytail of hair? :(

Amber_Maiden
April 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I would have called the police. Seriously.

aggie_deirde
April 24th, 2012, 07:31 AM
That is unacceptable and absurd.How did she/he dare to cut her hair without permission?The paranoia of some people.You maybe happy with short hair but this doen't allow you to radomly cut one's hair.People are insane I tell you....

palaeoqueen
April 24th, 2012, 07:41 AM
How strange. Presumably she refused to pay?

pepperminttea
April 24th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Ditto. They might have put assault charges on me by the time they got there though. :boxer:

arjay.d
April 24th, 2012, 08:11 AM
He seemed to know she didn't want it cut:"You wouldn't have let me if I asked you." That means she doesn't want it! That's not your hair, you don't have to live with it, and you didn't work to make it that long. Being a stylist does not entitle you to do whatever you want to someone else.

Bonkers57
April 24th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Me too - holy crap! :bigeyes: My first impulse would have been to punch the stylist, but I could get in trouble for that. But I'd have called the police and pressed charges for sure!

PinkyCat
April 24th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Gah! The only thing that would stop me from repeatedly punching that woman would be a pair of police bracelets and a good taze. Even then I'd probably continue kicking her. Ugh. Never stepping foot in a salon.

Anje
April 24th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Well, "compact cuts" are a valid way to cut hair, but they're usually more useful for people doing their own hair....

I really hope she didn't PAY that 4$$h47 stylist!

carolyncasl
April 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I hope she didn't pay for that, and I hope she never goes back to that salon again. Sounds like they just lost a customer. I can't believe that happened. That salon is not to be trusted. I'd suggest writing a negative review on a site like Yelp to spread the word to avoid that salon.

shutterpillar
April 24th, 2012, 08:23 AM
This seems almost too surreal to be true! If it were me I would have called the police, and would have at the VERY least demanded my money back.

Completely insane.

spidermom
April 24th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Good grief; I hope she didn't pay for that insult!

Amethyste
April 24th, 2012, 08:35 AM
This seems almost too surreal to be true! If it were me I would have called the police, and would have at the VERY least demanded my money back.

Completely insane.

There wouldn't be demanding money back for me... I'd NEVER pay for being treated that way plus, i would have probably fainted because of the overwhelming emotions and after waking up, i'd cry and scream at the same time...

Bagginslover
April 24th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I would have demanded to see the manager, refused to pay, and also demanded they pay for the cut to be fixed/finished at another salon of my choice, and called the police! Thats just not acceptable!

lapushka
April 24th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Her stylist suggested that she cut her hair, and she hesitated, saying, "well... how much?" and the stylist said, "oh... I dunno..." and held out her ponytail and said "about here" and CUT THE PONYTAIL! My friend screamed "what the f***??!? are you crazy??!?" and the stylist said "well, there would have been no other way you would have let me cut your hair."

How the hell is this even justifiable? :mad: She would have sorely regretted that if it were me she did that to.

ladyfey
April 24th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I agree with others, the police should have been called. She could still press charges now, and should!

sazzie88
April 24th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Iv had a bad cut once from a trainee and boy does it make you so angry and upset, I was in tears I didnt know what to do. I feel so sorry for her.

BrightEyes
April 24th, 2012, 09:08 AM
That is just wrong. That stylist needs to be fired. It's people like that who give stylists a bad name.

barely.there
April 24th, 2012, 09:11 AM
i would have punched her in the face.

definetly. sue.

ByGrace90
April 24th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I'm sure I would have been arrested for assaulting a hairdresser. That is not right!

kamikaze hair
April 24th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Oh my god!!! that is such a violation!! I would have lost my Sh*t at here real bad, demanded to see her manager. I would have probably threatened to call the police if they did not fix it free of charge, by SOMEONE other than the stupid woman who did that in the first place. She purposely did that against her will. I still can't believe that.

I think I would not have been able to stop myself from hitting/punching her. I have to admit, because In my mind that counts as assult, and if someone asulted me, my head space automatically goes into defence mode, but i'm more of a" stay and fight", not "runaway in flight" kind a gal.

Long_hair_bear
April 24th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'd DEFINITELY sue! No doubt here! Your poor coworker!

bratz81
April 24th, 2012, 09:46 AM
OMG that's terrible! I can't believe the stylist did that, I was have been raging. That is completely uncalled for - which the stylist obviously knows if they said they wouldn't have been allowed to cut it otherwise!

Springgrl
April 24th, 2012, 09:52 AM
This is insane! I am never going to the salon again in fear of this happening to me... seriously!!!

marykatz
April 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I can see that happening to me. For some reason I feel intimidated by beauticians. If she started hacking through my pony tail I would think, she must know best, this is going to look great. (Although you might be able to get through my pony tail with one snip).
It usually isn't until I get home and try to fix it myself I realize the gaffe.
I once had a beautician tell me that when I got home my hair might look crooked but that was because I had curly hair and she could assure me that when it was wet, it was straight. Ha Ha! That would be great if I always walked around with wet hair. Did I say anything to her?? No!!! I just cursed my lousy hair. I probably even tipped her. :rolleyes:

ladyshep
April 24th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Are you serious! Oh my word. That is disgraceful.:mad: I used to be a hairstylist years ago, and I would have NEVER of done that. How could she?

My heart goes out to your coworker.

spookyghost
April 24th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I cant believe it! How horrible. You would think that would have to be ilegal:( I would have at the very least not paid for one thing and then threatened to sue or...I dont know. I'm almost speechless. Im not a confrontational person at all but I think I would have been up in their face screaming!

Valfreyja
April 24th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I'm hoping some hairstylists read what's on this forum, so they can see how we feel about this kind of behaviour. Not all hairstylists are like this and it's not fair on the good ones to assume that they are, but bad behaviour is far too common it seems and this needs to change.

Mary queen of shops did an episode about this kind of thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJMYSFs4Ks

DancingQueen
April 24th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Actually, I don't think at least one (or more) slap in her face would be inappropriate in this case... You can't get arrested for that, even though you probably would want to do more... I really hope this never happens to anyone!

Tia2010
April 24th, 2012, 10:26 AM
:slap: There would be no saving her from my wrath...

Your friend should sue both the salon and stylist and put the word out all over town.

kc
April 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I would report the salon to the Better Business Bureau and put an ad in the local newspaper telling others about her situation and recommend they not go to them!

Dragon
April 24th, 2012, 11:28 AM
That’s horrible :( I hope she didn’t pay for that.

sibiryachka
April 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM
He seemed to know she didn't want it cut:"You wouldn't have let me if I asked you." That means she doesn't want it! That's not your hair, you don't have to live with it, and you didn't work to make it that long. Being a stylist does not entitle you to do whatever you want to someone else.

There's a word for that: Rape. I am not even kidding.

swearnsue
April 24th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Justifiable ass-whuppin for sure. And to make things worse, she probably turned around and sold the pony tail to a weave shop place. So I would say assault, battery and grand theft! I'd be upset if someone stole my little pony and it's only 2 inches long!

NymphSpirit
April 24th, 2012, 11:56 AM
OH MY GOD THAT IS TERRIBLE! Had it been me I'd have gone berserk and stabbed the hairdresser in the eye with the scissors!! How awful!!! Plus it's a civilian right to be able to decide how you want to look like and that does include hair :S

camillacamilla
April 24th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I'd be in jail for assault and battery and you guys would have to come bail me out if a hairdresser did that to me....

PrincessIdril
April 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Mary queen of shops did an episode about this kind of thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJMYSFs4Ks

I remember that episode, I was horrified when he did that. That style looks awful on that poor girl, I bet she's grown it out...

PrincessIdril
April 24th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Your friend has a lot more strength that me, I would probably have stabbed the "stylist" with the scissors if they did that to me.
I hope she made a complaint to the manager!

dwell_in_safety
April 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM
That's an assault in most places, legally.

Carrie Ingalls
April 24th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I'm so sorry your friend went through this! I don't really know what I would have done, I'm not sure what I would have done. I think prior to the LHC I would have just assumed I did something wrong (not that I have ever been to a salon for anything), but since joining the LHC I think I would be far more assertive and stuck up for myself, since I would be the one stuck with the consequences of their unwanted actions.

Honeyfall
April 24th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I can't imagine the owner of the salon wouldn't want to dump that stylist as fast as possible. It HAS to be bad for business to have traumatized clients out there talking about their awful experience in your salon. There must be pressure/ostracism from fellow stylists too, right? It can't help them get clientele when their place of employment, or even industry in general, is known for something like that.

Anyway, my heart goes out to that girl. I know it would make me extremely distrustful of people in the future.

lapushka
April 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM

Oh my gosh, that poor girl. How could he have done such a lousy haircut on her, so short. Awful. And the two of them just standing there and letting it happen. I don't know what's worse.

jeanniet
April 24th, 2012, 01:17 PM
OH MY GOD THAT IS TERRIBLE! Had it been me I'd have gone berserk and stabbed the hairdresser in the eye with the scissors!! How awful!!! Plus it's a civilian right to be able to decide how you want to look like and that does include hair :S
Really? Are you serious?

Come on. It was an unpleasant experience, for sure, but you're talking about a violent assault. What she should do is demand her money back and spread the word that the salon is a poor choice for anyone looking for good service. She might also be able to file a complaint with the state licensing board.

Suing, outside of a possible small claims court suit, isn't really a viable option either. No attorney is going to take a case like this.

OP, I'm really sorry for what happened to your friend. She has every right to be very upset.

Valfreyja
April 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM
jeanniet, somehow I don't think she's being literal about the eye stabbing.

jeanniet
April 24th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Obviously she's not being literal, but it's still disturbing to see someone using that kind of violent imagery. It's an unfortunate thread that runs through our society. I'd rather see a subject like this discussed in more rational and less inflammatory terms.

leslissocool
April 24th, 2012, 01:29 PM
That stylist would be 6 feet under if it was me :demon:

Raging Wolf
April 24th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Oh my gosh. I feel so bad for your co-worker. What that so called "friend" did to her was unspeakable to say the very least. I sincerely hope that she didn't have to pay for such a horrible experience and that she told that so called "friend" to take a long walk off a short pier and never darken her doorway again. Honestly, the nerve of some people!

kallarina
April 24th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Wow... This makes me feel so fortunate for my hairdresser... She is very good at taking care of long hair, even though she doesn't work in a long hair salon. It probably helps that I've known her since childhood, though... :p

swearnsue
April 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
That stylist would be 6 feet under if it was me :demon:

LOL, with scissors sticking out of one eye hole!

swearnsue
April 24th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I watched the video of the long haired client getting her hair cut. Something they didn't mention is that this might have been her first salon cut and the first time communicating with a stylist. So when she said something about "go for it" the stylist should have taken into account that she doesn't really mean it literally. When the stylist didn't know who the actress was he should have asked the client to describe the hair to him or he could have taken a minute to google images of her.

Chetanlaiho
April 24th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I would have cried, screamed, and probably started some form of assault if someone wouldn't stop me. What the bloody hell? How is that éver okay to do? O_O

ladylowtide
April 24th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Wow. I have decided before that I would never let anyone but me cut my hair (out of fear of a situation just like this). I am so sorry for your coworker :(

Rosethorn
April 24th, 2012, 02:45 PM
This is why I'm salon-phobic. Seriously.

blondie9912
April 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM
OMG! That's absolutely insane! I would have shown the stylist MY styling skills on THEIR hair if they gave me an attitude like that! I hope she didn't have to pay for that

Quezie
April 24th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I would have punched her, threw water in her face, knocked her stuff over, etcetc. I'm very good at maintaining my composure, but if that happened, I would be in a fit of rage. >:(

OH oh! Or I'd take some scissors and cut a big ugly chunk from her hair.

This stylist obviously doesn't understand their job very well.

Maelyssa
April 24th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I'm not a big advocate for just suing people but this is NOT ok. She really needs to take action on this. Your poor friend, I send her well wishes.

corvinadea
April 24th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I just don't have the words..I can't imagine how anyone would think that was okay. I feel a little sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

jacqueline101
April 24th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I'd sue the salon.

Lazy Loop
April 25th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Heart-stopping!
Salons intimidate me sooooo much! I have never been honest with a hairdresser. I always feel that I must be polite and not critical of their work. And I've had some doozies, too!!! You know, where you have to go straight to someone else to fix what the first stylist did? Not all are like that, some do exactly what I ask for. Sometimes I still don't care for the outcome, Oh my!

Lazy Loop
April 25th, 2012, 12:57 AM
P.S. I have Self Cut since I was a teen. If it's gonna be messed up, might as well be free. But I usually tune on it until it's decent enough.

julliams
April 25th, 2012, 01:49 AM
This exact thing happened to me! I had asked for a cut to collarbone and the guy put my hair in a ponytail and said to my mother "watch this mum" and snipped my whole ponytail off right under the band. When it fell out it was way higher than collarbone and of course it was completely uneven so needless to say, I went home with a much shorter cut than I was prepared for that day! I was young and I learned alot about what I'm prepared to put up with and what I'm not. I decided that if a hairdresser takes me to the wash basin before they have discussed with me what we are doing, I'm just getting up and leaving. Haven't actually had to do that yet!

Now the one I go to has an actual consulting area where they discuss with you what is to be done and the price is agreed on before anything happens. Totally the way to go!

PorkChop
April 25th, 2012, 01:59 AM
:O :O :O

I would have gone beserk, for a start I definitely 100% would have walked out with all my money intact in my pocket still and I wouldnt have left till id got some compensation.

Are you absolute sure your friend didnt agree to it and is now just changing her story a bit cos she doesn't like it.

MinderMutsig
April 25th, 2012, 05:49 AM
:O :O :O

I would have gone beserk, for a start I definitely 100% would have walked out with all my money intact in my pocket still and I wouldnt have left till id got some compensation.

Are you absolute sure your friend didnt agree to it and is now just changing her story a bit cos she doesn't like it.This is what I was thinking. It's not easy to snip a ponytail off. Unless her hair is very thin it's impossible to snip it off in one go and I can't imagine not saying anything while the hairdresser is hacking away at your hair. I'd stop them after the first snip and give her an earful. Then I'd talk to the manager, refuse to pay and demanded they pay for me to have my hair fixed at another salon.

GeoJ
April 25th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I would have knocked out the stylist, grabbed those scissors, and cut her hair to buzz-cut length in as many spots as possible before others stopped me!

I don't have to worry about that kind of problem because I cut my own hair at home. :)

lapushka
April 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
P.S. I have Self Cut since I was a teen. If it's gonna be messed up, might as well be free. But I usually tune on it until it's decent enough.

That's what I used to do throughout my teens. :D The visits to the hairdresser were few and far between, and thank goodness seeing as what some are capable of!

dulce
April 25th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Finally my hair's a bit past waist[inch or two]It took so long to get here, I'd never trust a stylist with it!Please think about getting get a Creaclip or do Feyes method of self trimming from now on.

Bonkers57
April 25th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Wow! So many hairdresser horror stories! I guess I've just been lucky all these years. I've had a few bad cuts, but no psycho hairdressers!

heidi w.
April 25th, 2012, 01:03 PM
My coworker friend got her hair cut yesterday and the story was horrific. She went in for a regular trim (her hair is always BSL), and found that all the hairstylists in the salon she goes to had dramatically changed their hair. Her stylist suggested that she cut her hair, and she hesitated, saying, "well... how much?" and the stylist said, "oh... I dunno..." and held out her ponytail and said "about here" and CUT THE PONYTAIL! My friend screamed "what the f***??!? are you crazy??!?" and the stylist said "well, there would have been no other way you would have let me cut your hair." My friend is trying to like it, but she hates that her hair is now just a couple inches past shoulder length. When she tries to put it up, it just makes a dinky little ponytail. How does a hairdresser decide that you should make a major change just because she did herself?? I would have jumped up and fought her if that was me. She'd quickly learn never to do that again...

This is COMPLETELY unprofessional. This to me sounds like a young person being a jerk and an idiot. This is how a business loses money; because yahoo's like this make executive decisions they have no business making. In effect, as the manager, I'd flat out fire this person. This is how an employee can sink my business, if I were the owner. I would encourage your coworker to write a letter of complaint to the manager, with before and after photos, date, stylist's name and all the gory details.

Even George Michael wasn't that disrespectful when women came to him wanting their hair cut majorly shorter. For one, he made SURE they wanted it shorter, by a lot. Secondly, he never let the hair fall to the floor. Ever. Incredibly rude and disrespectful.

Just WOW. And I am sorry this happened to her. I'd be ROYALLY pissed.
heidi w.

heidi w.
April 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I would have knocked out the stylist, grabbed those scissors, and cut her hair to buzz-cut length in as many spots as possible before others stopped me!

I don't have to worry about that kind of problem because I cut my own hair at home. :)

Nice fantasy, BUT in reality, this type of behavior will get you arrested and a suit of assault against may well ensue. You'd have a criminal and possibly a civil case to wade through. The world does not agree with you and me: we don't think it's JUST hair. They do, and they're the majority.

heidi w.

supercupcakexx
April 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM
WOW. This is just...disgusting. So sorry for your friend. <3

MoonlightShadow
April 25th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I feel really sorry for your friend...that's so horrific!....I wonder why hair stylists do such drastic things..

JuliaDancer
April 29th, 2012, 07:07 PM
My coworker is one of those people who will just accept when things happen. It makes me crazy! I wouldn't have paid, that's for sure. I'm guessing she had to hack at it to get the whole bunch cut, but when someone grabbing all your hair in a ponytail, and you're shocked, I guess she had time to cut it all before my friend could react. Her hair is baby thin, but there's a lot of it. Although the one cut would be enough to have to go the rest of the way anyway or end up with a lopsided head...

heidi w.
April 29th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Oh, that's aweful!
But... I don't get one thing. If you'd get my ponytail you'd really have to cut and cut and cut and cut to take it of. One snip will not work. Most people's hair won't just snip off unless it's really, really thin.
So, she just let the woman keep cutting her pony or am I misunderstanding?

Either way! Very, very sad :(

I have very fine, and not a boatload of volume. I do not have thick hair at all, although people comment on it. My hair is also straight. It'd be a piece of cake to take my hair off in one slice of the scissor, unless they were using really tiny scissors. Hairdresser scissors are often pretty sharp, and somewhat expensive. I own a pair. Just explaining that I can see this occurring. One me, it'd be easy peasy.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM
My coworker is one of those people who will just accept when things happen. It makes me crazy! I wouldn't have paid, that's for sure. I'm guessing she had to hack at it to get the whole bunch cut, but when someone grabbing all your hair in a ponytail, and you're shocked, I guess she had time to cut it all before my friend could react. Her hair is baby thin, but there's a lot of it. Although the one cut would be enough to have to go the rest of the way anyway or end up with a lopsided head...

She has her reason(s) for being so non-confrontational. Eventually, she'll get a bit braver because life will teach her to defend herself, in time. It's just a matter of time and experience. It took me a while to get brave about speaking up. But yep, the shock would be huge, and in that time it would be easy to cut the hair off.

heidi w.

jojo
April 29th, 2012, 08:52 PM
This is assault and robbery simple as tell her to sue! id have punched her right in the face, horrible cow!

CaityBear
April 29th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Oh my gosh! That is sooo horrible. I would've been seeing red if that happened to me! I would've gone postal! You don't just do that to a person. It's just common sense that you DON'T DO THAT!

meishkamooshka
April 29th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I'm still in shock. That's terrible. I don't understand how the hairdresser found that behavior acceptable. My hairstylist asks me like 20 times before she actually cuts something...and that's just for a few inches of trim or bags!

MissTulip
April 30th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Just one more reason I'll NEVER let anyone else near my hair with scissors again!! So horrible :(

AlicesPlatforms
April 30th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Woah! I've heard similar stories, I don't know why people think they can mess with people like that just because they're licensed to use a pair of shears. It really makes everyone else look like idiots when they do.

In all seriousness, your friend could actually sue. We have our clients sign a sheet at the school so that they can't, so it's definitely an option.

eicamawa
April 30th, 2012, 01:02 AM
How horrible! It's not like it's the hairdresser that's going to have to wear the hair, so it's not like they can do whatever they want. They have to listen to the customer who's going to have the hair for how long it will take to grow it out like they wanted it.

Mommyof4
April 30th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I am not a sue-happy person, but I would SUUUUUUUEEEE! That is assault, in my opinion!

Mesmerise
April 30th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Oh wow! What a NERVE?? I can NOT believe someone would do that! It's insane. I would certainly consider suing too (not sure how well you'd go, unfortunately... it might cost you more to sue than you'd get back :rolleyes:). This is why I self trim now... it'd take a LOT to get my to a hairdresser...

oddelabop
April 30th, 2012, 05:20 AM
I would have poked the stylists eyes out with her own scissors!! How dare they!! A true horror story.

Ive heard similar things ... Once had a frined who asked for a regular trim and ended up with a bob - she had gorgeous mid-back length thick brown hair. she cried and cried and cried after it was all chopped off..

I do not understand what possesses these people to think it is okay to do such things!!!

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 04:33 AM
WHAT?!?!?!?!!?

I'd have been devestated. It's bad enough going in for a trim and getting 2" or more cut off, but the way he done it was just completely and utterly unacceptable. If I were her, I'd be getting that pathetic excuse of a 'hairdresser' sacked, in trouble or something. He should not be able to get away with that.

kitekats
July 5th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Oh my, that's horrid, if someone did that to me, I would scratch his eyes out (or cut his hair off completely) OR sue him...

Bianca
July 5th, 2012, 04:57 AM
That is CRaZY.... I would have slapped her or worse.... Im shocked. :eek:

MintChocChip
July 5th, 2012, 05:16 AM
What?!! I feel for your friend, that's so upsetting. :( I agree with previous posters, if it were me (and this is coming from someone who is terrified of confrontation) I would try and get him/her into some sort of trouble. That is not on!

UltraBella
July 5th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I am thankful that I have never met anyone IRL with a horror story like this. I have been in the industry for 7 years, own two salons and know over 40 stylists personally + hundreds of clients. Most stylists would never ever put a client in this position, so while it's definitely an awful story, it's certainly not the norm and all stylists and salons should not be lumped into the same category.

I had a REALLY bad experience at a dentist one time but I know it's not a reflection on all dentists..........

longhairedleah
July 5th, 2012, 08:51 AM
that's absolutely horrific!!!!!!!! sounds like a terrible nightmare that you'd wake up from breathing heavily!
your poor coworker!!!!

Henrietta
July 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM
My jaw dropped in amazement. It's insane! Even if I wasn't an LHCer, growing my hair long, I'd sue them.
How could she? It's so sick to think "others must do what I do because it's so cool, oh, it's soooo cool."
Good that she can at least put it up somehow... And that it wasn't longer because the loss would be much bigger :(
I just can't get it- WHY? Everyone must wear SL hair now? And consider it long, because for an average person whatever you can put in a ponytail is long? And it should be enough?
ETA: It;s not only about the hair. It's about the rule and self-confidence. Now a hairdresser will decide how we should look?!

Ambystoma
July 5th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Oh my gosh, your poor friend! Seriously though, I think that this is assault and she should explore her options by talking to the police or a lawyer. This person abused a position of trusted authority and caused physical damage to her knowing that she hadn't, and probably wouldn't have given her consent. Yes hair grows back, but there is also the issue of psychological injury caused by being violated in such a way. I hope that the person that did this faces consequences for their actions, and also never has the opportunity to treat anyone else in the same manner. :(

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Oh my gosh, your poor friend! Seriously though, I think that this is assault and she should explore her options by talking to the police or a lawyer. This person abused a position of trusted authority and caused physical damage to her knowing that she hadn't, and probably wouldn't have given her consent. Yes hair grows back, but there is also the issue of psychological injury caused by being violated in such a way. I hope that the person that did this faces consequences for their actions, and also never has the opportunity to treat anyone else in the same manner. :(

+100.

(Ugh, have to have at least 10 characters. WHY?!?!!?)

JDzWife
July 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
O M G!! I'm afraid the cops would have arrested me on the spot!! The good news is that it will grow out in time. What a horrible experience!

Demi-Plum
July 5th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I would have punched her lights out. Then I would have walked out without paying a single cent, and would have told everyone exactly what they did to me. If anyone ever cut my hair they had better tie up their throats because that's where their scissors would be going next!

jeanniet
July 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I am thankful that I have never met anyone IRL with a horror story like this. I have been in the industry for 7 years, own two salons and know over 40 stylists personally + hundreds of clients. Most stylists would never ever put a client in this position, so while it's definitely an awful story, it's certainly not the norm and all stylists and salons should not be lumped into the same category.

I had a REALLY bad experience at a dentist one time but I know it's not a reflection on all dentists..........
We've all had bad experiences with something, but in general the good outweighs the bad. Most people in the service professions do care about what their clients want. Personally,I think the level of revenge violence advocated in this thread is pretty sickening. Why is cutting too much hair so wrong, but threatening to beat or even stab someone isn't? That's disgusting.

march_sun
July 5th, 2012, 12:28 PM
oh wow...how terrible

maborosi
July 5th, 2012, 12:41 PM
That is absolutely unacceptable. Your friend needs to complain to the salon in question and maybe even explore her options legally. At the very least the person who did that to her should be fired. That is wrong on so many levels.

I agree with UltraBella- I've never heard of something so horrible happening in a salon and this is definitely out of the ordinary. I hope that her manager or boss or whoever takes appropriate steps in reprimanding her.

~maborosi~

spirals
July 5th, 2012, 01:00 PM
We've all had bad experiences with something, but in general the good outweighs the bad. Most people in the service professions do care about what their clients want. Personally,I think the level of revenge violence advocated in this thread is pretty sickening. Why is cutting too much hair so wrong, but threatening to beat or even stab someone isn't? That's disgusting.

It was wrong, in the mocking attitude it was done with. Legally it's assault or battery, but so are stabbing, punching, etc. ITA with you that even threatening those things is disturbing. The proper response is to let the owner know how unprofessional, degrading, and offensive the stylist's behavior was, and demand recompense. Someone I know got fired for this type of behavior and it was a good lesson. I doubt the police would've taken this seriously, I'm afraid, and may have charged the client with making a false call. And this, boys and girls, is why I cut my own hair.

SerinaDaith
July 5th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I am sure there are some great hairdressers out there, I also know I have felt many times that I was not being listened to when I have gone to get my hair trimmed. I cut my kids hair and will be trimming my own because if I muck it up that's on me. I am sorry that this happened to your coworker I wish I could say nothing like this has ever happened to me but it has.

Gogobaby
July 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Has kinda happened to me too, but in a different way.. Bad hairdresser not doing what I want, it's common. I've been obsessed ever since and will not even sit on a bus without holding my hair. I'm not a psychopath, but I've always known ( and anyone who really knows me knows), that this is one situation where, if someone chopped my hair to that extreme, I would not hesitate to kill them.

lmfbs
July 5th, 2012, 05:58 PM
There's a word for that: Rape. I am not even kidding.

Please, please don't use the word rape for things that aren't rape. It's offensive and dilutes the meaning and impact of the word.

You might like to read this (http://www.thefword.org.uk/blog/2011/10/things_that_are)blog about things that are not like rape.

Please think about the meaning of words before you use them. It might not affect you, but it does affect other people.

Thanks in advance.

BrightEyes
July 5th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Personally,I think the level of revenge violence advocated in this thread is pretty sickening.

I agree 100&#37;. Yes, the stylist was comptetely wrong in what he did and my heart goes out to the OP's coworker. She definitely should have refused to pay, talked to the salon owner and even called the police.

But stabbing someone's eye out? Punching them in the face? Knocking things over? Six feet under? Really??? All these violent comments are disturbing and way overboard IMO. I'm a stylist and while I would NEVER do what this man did, I am not perfect either. This thread kind of makes me afraid of somehow disappointing my client and ending up blind:rolleyes:. Hair grows back, but going blind from an act of voilence is pretty darn permanent.

Silken
July 5th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Sounds like that hairstylist has some serious issues with boundaries, control and... hatred. What a vicious, heinous thing to do! I wouldn't have gone physical, though: there are MUCH better ways to fight back. I'd have gone public. People nowadays research all kinds of venues and businesses before deciding to spend their money on any othem, I would have started with Yelp. I might even have started a website. With names, pictures, the whole 9 yards. Word does get around, and rather quickly. It would not have grown my hair back, but it would prevent someone else from being mistreated that way.

Lightningfury
July 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I read this to my husband and he was immediately like, "That is assault. I don't understand how they can do that."

prettykitty
July 5th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I would not have made it out of the salon without being arrested. I went pale just reading this. Nothing against the OP, but I hope to god that this is an urban legend or some sort of exaggeration.

MeganE
July 5th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Please, please don't use the word rape for things that aren't rape. It's offensive and dilutes the meaning and impact of the word.

You might like to read this (http://www.thefword.org.uk/blog/2011/10/things_that_are)blog about things that are not like rape.

Please think about the meaning of words before you use them. It might not affect you, but it does affect other people.

Thanks in advance.

There is more than one definition of the word. And what happened to the OP's co-worker could certainly be described as:

4. An act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rape

lmfbs
July 5th, 2012, 08:08 PM
There is more than one definition of the word. And what happened to the OP's co-worker could certainly be described as:

4. An act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

Sure, I'm very aware that there are multiple definitions of the word. However, in the general scheme of things we don't use that definition and that doesn't take away from the hurtful, offensive meaning.

spirals
July 5th, 2012, 08:08 PM

http://www.orgs.muohio.edu/anthologies/bijou/youngcd/lock.html

spirals
July 5th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Sure, I'm very aware that there are multiple definitions of the word. However, in the general scheme of things we don't use that definition and that doesn't take away from the hurtful, offensive meaning.

Who are you referring to that was being offended? That word was used to describe the hurtful and offensive act perpetrated against the coworker.

lmfbs
July 5th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Who are you referring to that was being offended? That word was used to describe the hurtful and offensive act perpetrated against the coworker.

I'm offended by the way the word rape was used. I mentioned it so the person who used the word could see another person's view on the way the word is used and perhaps it might influence the way use uses in the future.

MrsGuther
July 5th, 2012, 08:24 PM

Oh heck no! I would have been SUPER PISSED if that happened to me... Which is why I don't go to hair salons anymore. I realize there are lots of good hairdressers, but it seems the ones I have been to are always scissor happy!

MeganE
July 5th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I'm offended by the way the word rape was used. I mentioned it so the person who used the word could see another person's view on the way the word is used and perhaps it might influence the way use uses in the future.

Surely no offense was intended. Hopefully you've achieved your goal. :blossom:

lmfbs
July 5th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Surely no offense was intended. Hopefully you've achieved your goal. :blossom:

Thanks. I know people don't mean it to be offensive, but it is to some people and I just wanted to give a gentle reminder that not everyone appreciates the word being thrown around like that. Didn't mean to derail the thread!

catamonica
July 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I'm really sorry for her. But it will grow back. Maybe she can start trimming it herself.

kidari
July 6th, 2012, 11:02 PM
OMG that sounds like a nightmare.

spirals
July 6th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks. I know people don't mean it to be offensive, but it is to some people and I just wanted to give a gentle reminder that not everyone appreciates the word being thrown around like that. Didn't mean to derail the thread!

It made me stop and think. Thanks for posting.

lmfbs
July 7th, 2012, 01:03 AM
It made me stop and think. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for understanding my intention :)

Back to the story, I told my bf and he looked at me like I was crazy. 'It's just HAIR. It'll grow back!" I explained how for lots of people, it's part of their identity. I would be so sad.

ariesfairies
July 7th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I'd have asked for my money back :/
That does sound more like a nightmare than real life. I know yes, hair grows back but it's like giving someone a temporary tattoo of something they don't want, they'll be stuck with it until goes away or something.. it's a bit of a defacement on the person to have something done to their appearance unwilling, I feel.

RileyJane
July 7th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Sounds like my worst nightmare! Id seriously be so ticked after that your poor friend... and NO the stylist should NEVER make a decision like that without the client absolutely wanting it.... that styliist is lucky to not be fired.

dollyfish
July 7th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Sounds like the hair stylist was having some sort of nervous breakdown. That is NOT normal behavior, even for someone who likes to cut hair :(

anitacs9101
July 7th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Oh my gosh, that's awful :( I would have TOTALLY flipped lol.

BlazingHeart
July 8th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with a couple other posters here - yes, what happened was horrible and awful and probably deserving of a lawsuit.

But not violence. Not punching, stabbing, blinding, or killing the stylist. The level of violence people are advocating in this thread is frankly scary. I know we love our hair, but this is worse than an eye for an eye. And an eye for an eye would make the whole world blind.

~Blaze

betsb
July 8th, 2012, 06:27 PM
My suggestion would be to find several sites that request reviews and post a review of the salon on the internet. I always check these before doing business with someplace I've never gone to before, and have avoided those that have bad reviews. Even one bad review if written well will deter me from crossing the threshold.