PDA

View Full Version : OH surprised me!

sarelis
April 24th, 2012, 05:23 AM
We were watching the news last night, and a woman with shoulder length, dyed blonde hair was presenting an article. My OH has a rather irritating habit of ranting at the TV on occasion, about all sorts of things. Anyway, this woman was talking away & he suddenly blurted out "Go and cut your hair off!!" at the TV! I was all like "what?" He said "Look at it! What a mess, it's all dry and bleached and horrible. It looks disgusting!" I was so surprised that A) he even noticed the condition of her hair, B) he knew exactly what was wrong with it & C) he found it so offensive! He is obviously more clued up hair wise than I ever gave him credit for lol!

Kizuna
April 24th, 2012, 05:24 AM
HAha, sounds like he knows good hair when he sees it! :D
btw, what does OH stand for?

sarelis
April 24th, 2012, 05:27 AM
OH stands for Other Half :) So funny that he reacted so explosively to this poor woman's abused hair, I actually did laugh out loud!

Covet
April 24th, 2012, 05:31 AM
LOL I genuinely laughed :) I find it funny that he was angered by it lol. I find myself thinking similar things when I see the condition of strangers' hair. Then again I can't talk, my hair is fried at the moment!

pepperminttea
April 24th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Eep, let's hope he doesn't say anything to someone in person! Must be kind of tough to be on TV, needing to look perfect for the cameras all the time, and having so many people pass judgement on your appearance.

sarelis
April 24th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Eep, let's hope he doesn't say anything to someone in person! Must be kind of tough to be on TV, needing to look perfect for the cameras all the time, and having so many people pass judgement on your appearance.

Actually, he is just the sort who would say something, he always speaks his mind (not always a good thing!) Sometimes I think I should keep him on a leash (jokes!). About having to look perfect on TV, I have noticed over the last few years that nearly all of the women news readers seen to be botoxed to oblivion, not one of them seems capable of any facial expression. The one that bugged me most was a mature black lady (Moira Stewart, I think she is retired now) who seemed to only be able to move the centre area of her lips! I would always miss the actual news staring at her bizzare face!

Amanah
April 24th, 2012, 05:53 AM
To see someone with natural hair, not fried, dyed, foiled, or straightened, is uncommon. And it's interesting that your OH would notice :)

I had to go for a CT scan yesterday and I while I was talking to the woman who was doing my scan, I could not help but notice how beautiful her hair was. I commented to her how unusual it is to see someone with natural hair and in such great shape.

It wasn't particularly long, was between sl and bsl, but it was amazingly healthy.

My hairdresser used to dye my hair a warm brown and then over that use foils to add various colors. She'd then charge me $70 for hair that matched all the other inmates of the menagerie.

It's extremely rare to see women over 40 who don't die their hair, and that I can understand as it's hard to go grey when society is shouting "be young." But most of the 25-40 year old women I know also dye their hair, if nothing else to have highlights and low lights added.

It's like we are all brainwashed into believing that the color of our hair can't possibly be good enough. Not to mention whether it's wavy or curly. I work with women, mostly younger then me who have hair dyed, straightened, foiled, extensions added.

Letting my hair go natural, learning how to care for it, trim it myself, appreciate it, and grow it, makes me feel very non main stream.

sarelis
April 24th, 2012, 05:59 AM
To see someone with natural hair, not fried, dyed, foiled, or straightened, is uncommon.

None of my friends have natural hair, neither do I actually, I'm a dye hard! I love colouring my hair & have done since I was 13. I just dislike my natural colour, it's an ashy shade of dishwater that I find dull & unappealing. I have often thought about growing it out natural as doing my roots every 2-3 weeks is a major pain, but I just find my colour very blah. Kudos to you for letting yours be, it must be lovely & healthy :)

pepperminttea
April 24th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Actually, he is just the sort who would say something, he always speaks his mind (not always a good thing!) Sometimes I think I should keep him on a leash (jokes!). About having to look perfect on TV, I have noticed over the last few years that nearly all of the women news readers seen to be botoxed to oblivion, not one of them seems capable of any facial expression. The one that bugged me most was a mature black lady (Moira Stewart, I think she is retired now) who seemed to only be able to move the centre area of her lips! I would always miss the actual news staring at her bizzare face!

I know exactly what you mean! I wish sometimes their faces were more expressive, it seems odd to be reporting such terrible news and to have such a blank face. :(

Amanah
April 24th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Sarelis - I think because my hair is salt and pepper, the dying process just makes it look worse isntead of better. On top of that my hair was fragile from chemo so processing my hair was making it break off and fall out. My comments were made coming from that perspective. I'm sure your hair is beautifull.

Hollyfire3
April 24th, 2012, 06:55 AM
To see someone with natural hair, not fried, dyed, foiled, or straightened, is uncommon. And it's interesting that your OH would notice :)

I had to go for a CT scan yesterday and I while I was talking to the woman who was doing my scan, I could not help but notice how beautiful her hair was. I commented to her how unusual it is to see someone with natural hair and in such great shape.

It wasn't particularly long, was between sl and bsl, but it was amazingly healthy.

My hairdresser used to dye my hair a warm brown and then over that use foils to add various colors. She'd then charge me $70 for hair that matched all the other inmates of the menagerie.

It's extremely rare to see women over 40 who don't die their hair, and that I can understand as it's hard to go grey when society is shouting "be young." But most of the 25-40 year old women I know also dye their hair, if nothing else to have highlights and low lights added.

It's like we are all brainwashed into believing that the color of our hair can't possibly be good enough. Not to mention whether it's wavy or curly. I work with women, mostly younger then me who have hair dyed, straightened, foiled, extensions added.

Letting my hair go natural, learning how to care for it, trim it myself, appreciate it, and grow it, makes me feel very non main stream.

I am a bit offended by this, I dye my hair darker than my natural color and I used to straighten it daily (now am paying for it because my curls have disapeared due to heat damage)
and I have in no way bought into the mainstream looks or fashions, I just enjoy my hair to be a bit different, no one brain washed me, no one told me I HAD to look a certain way or that I was weird for not dyeing or heat styling my hair. I am no mainstream at all, but it is not because I don't dye my hair, its because I have different ideas and thoughts, my hair reflects what I want it to look like, not what society says it should look like.

sarelis
April 24th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Sarelis - I think because my hair is salt and pepper, the dying process just makes it look worse isntead of better. On top of that my hair was fragile from chemo so processing my hair was making it break off and fall out. My comments were made coming from that perspective. I'm sure your hair is beautifull.

Oh, I didn't take any offence, sorry if my post sounded defensive! Illness & chemo must have been very tough, I'm not surprised you don't want to compromise your hair's condition :)

Amanah
April 24th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Hollyfire3 - I apologize for offending you. You are a very kind person and I would not want to offend you or anyone else. This was not my intent.

Hollyfire3
April 24th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hollyfire3 - I apologize for offending you. You are a very kind person and I would not want to offend you or anyone else. This was not my intent.

Thank you and I accept, I was suprised with your post as you are nice and have helped me very much, I understand your opinion but felt the need to share mine also. Please tell me we can remain on good term as you are very kind to me.

Amanah
April 24th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hollyfire3 - of course we remain friends, thank you :)

TiffanieJean
April 24th, 2012, 11:10 AM
:brainbleach: lol

dwell_in_safety
April 24th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I've got my SO noticing the condition of other people's hair now, too. It's grand.

Maelyssa
April 24th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I love it when I hear stories like this....good to know I'm not the only one greatly influencing my guy.

jacqueline101
April 24th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I'm shocked someone could do that on tv.

sfgirl
April 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I'm really not offended and I bleach my hair. I wish more people did go natural actually! I mean I can understand dying your hair to look different and unique, but damaging your hair just for the sake of fitting in puzzles me. (just like girls that damage your skin by tanning. I mean I know some girls just genuinely like it and know the risks, but the girls that feel they NEED to do it to be pretty, make me sad)

Tisiloves
April 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM
It's nice that he's interested in your interests.

Personally I have nothing against bleaching/dying/etc (I've done/do it enough), I just wish that people would compensate if necessary ie bleach, but minimise heatstyling and mega condition, so it doesn't completely fry your hair.