PDA

View Full Version : If I must blow dry

HumanBean
April 23rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
Lets say I have time to allow my hair to air dry somewhat after a wash, but not enough time to allow it to completely dry.

Is it better to:

1) blow dry wet hair halfway then let air dry the rest of the way? Or,

2) let it air dry halfway then blow dry the rest? Or,

3) both are equally bad?

MagicalMystery
April 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
I have very thick hair and a lot of it, and quite often, I have to either leave the house with wet hair, or use a blow dryer (which kills my hair). I usually let it air dry half way, then use my hair dryer on the cool setting to finish it off. If it's nice out and breezy, I let the sun and breeze dry it for me.

luxepiggy
April 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
Actually, for most people the best option is to blow dry in the middle: blot or wrap the hair until it's no longer soaking wet, blow dry until barely damp, blast with cold shot, then air dry the rest of the way.

lady_hero
April 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I always blow dry my hair and I've never had any ill effects. I towel dry for about 30 minutes, then blow dry on warm and cool.

lapushka
April 24th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I have my hair in a turbie for 10 to 15 minutes. It's then airdried from damp to about 60-70% dry, then the rest is blowdried.

elisabeta_b
April 24th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I always blow dry my hair and I've never had any ill effects. I towel dry for about 30 minutes, then blow dry on warm and cool.

Same here; haven't noticed any difference in hair damage whatsoever. Only that my hair looks so much better when blow dried.

spidermom
April 24th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I think it's best to let it dry part-way, then finish with blow-drying. Wet hair is extremely vulnerable to damage.

Mayflower
April 24th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I always let my hair sit in a towel for 20 minutes, then let it airdry 'till 85% dry, then blowdry the rest on warm. It's important to know that a blowdryer isn't the devil. I do this 2 times a week and my hair grows just fine, with minimal split ends. No need to freak out over little 'damage-causing things' if you do everything with moderation.

spidermom
April 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I really like how the blow-dryer makes my hair more smooth, less grabby. It makes untangling so much easier! That's a plus.

spookyghost
April 24th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Same here; haven't noticed any difference in hair damage whatsoever. Only that my hair looks so much better when blow dried.

My hair looks better when I blow dry it also:) But my hair is so damaged from bleach highlights, using terrible shampoos, and the flat iron that I cant tell if how much damage if any is coming from the hair dryer. I have been oiling my hair, using organic shampoo and conditioner, air drying or drying on the cool setting. But I would love to blow dry on warm:) My hair just looks better when I do!

Anje
April 24th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I've wondered this myself, OP.

My instincts say that if you stop blowdrying while still slightly damp, you're not going to be able heat your hair to as high a temperature than you would when it's totally dry, due to the thermal properties of water. Whether this means less damage might be a different question, though. Obviously, your hair will get dry faster if you take a few minutes to soak the extra water up with a towel, than if you start blowdrying your hair while it's still streaming water off of it, so I'm assuming the whole range is from towel-damp hair to dry for pragmatic reasons.

The more practical answer is that you should get a blowdryer with multiple heat settings and stick to the cooler ones, no matter what else you do.

MagicalMystery
April 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I can't blow dry my hair while fully wet, or my curls will just become frizz. I usually blow dry upside down at the very end of the drying process just to add volume to my roots.

Carissamarie08
April 24th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I air dry for the most part, but blow drying it on low never seems to damage my hair at all. Just use some kind of heat spray of you like that stuff.

MonaMayfair
April 25th, 2012, 03:47 AM
I always use the blow dryer in cold weather (on warm setting which on mine is really just tepid) and my hair isn't in any different condition from the rest of the time when I completely air dry.

When I use the dryer, I first wrap my hair in a microfibre towel for about 10 or 15 minutes (I do this when I wash my hair anyway) so it's just damp. Then I blowdry for about 5 minutes, leave it to air dry for a few hours, then another 5 or so minutes with the dryer until it's dry enough to comb and put into 2 braids.

Nev
April 25th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I try to let it air dry as much as I can, then use the blowdryer. Mostly just to smooth out the front and top layers, I try to avoid blowdrying the whole length.

Monkey962
April 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Related question: What is it exactly about blowdryers that is bad? Is it just the heat? I know that many dryers have the option to turn the heat off. In fact, I own one. When the heat is off, it still blows warm air, but it's probably cooler than the water I shower in. It seems to me that with that minimal level of heat, there's no risk of damage and if anything, it's helpful because it gets your hair dry faster.

Chetanlaiho
April 25th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Related question: What is it exactly about blowdryers that is bad? Is it just the heat? I know that many dryers have the option to turn the heat off. In fact, I own one. When the heat is off, it still blows warm air, but it's probably cooler than the water I shower in. It seems to me that with that minimal level of heat, there's no risk of damage and if anything, it's helpful because it gets your hair dry faster.

Friction, also, major component of damage and blow-drying can cause quite a lot of it ;)

WaitingSoLong
April 25th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I blow dry my hair.

I don't do it often, maybe...once a month at best. Probably less. I suppose the more often you do it, the more care you would need to take.

I hold the dryer at arms length, as far away as I can but I do not use the cool setting. It makes me too cold (except in summer) and I find it to be fairly ineffective at drying my hair anyway (I don't have a medium setting and I don't dry my hair enough to justify buying a new dryer). I do highly recommend an ionic dryer, though. It made a HUGE difference. They reduce or eliminate static. Anyway, at arms length the hair never gets hot. It barely gets warm but the warm air does more to dry my hair than cool air ever would. I use my hands to "comb" my hair awhile drying which ensures I will not let my hair get too hot because I am touchign it the whole time so I know how hot or cool it is.

Pre-dry...I usually put my hair in my towel and let it soak up as much water as you can first (I use T-shirt material ONLY...very absorbant, less abrasive). Then I unwrap and rewrap with a dryer part of the towel and let it soak more. I do this while I am getting ready then drying my hair is the last thing I do. I dry it thoroughly, too, or else it just tangles. TEHO. It works for me.

LadyCelestina
April 25th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I plop my hair,blow dry until damp,apply some anti frizz product and let it air dry.
I do it this way to decrease frizz :).I don't know if it's better than air drying till damp and then blowing it dry.

Chromis
April 25th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I just put it up damp and then let it down again later to finish drying. No blow dryer needed!