PDA

View Full Version : Tea Rinses for Dark Hair?

kittengirl
April 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
I was wondering if there a good teas for dark hair. Or herbal mixes I could make using things I could find at the grocery store. I'm not opposed to my hair becoming darker, but I don't want anything that will make it lighter. I would appreciate any advice. I've seen a few threads about similar things, so if I'm missing the perfect thread please direct me!:D

DoubleCrowned
April 23rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Rosemary is said to make dark hair shine. I presume you would make a tea of it and use it as a rinse.

kittengirl
April 23rd, 2012, 07:57 PM
Rosemary is said to make dark hair shine. I presume you would make a tea of it and use it as a rinse.
Do you mean to use the herb (it would have to be dried for me, I don't think I could find fresh) and steep it like tea? Do you rinse it out after?

DoubleCrowned
April 23rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
Yes, a tea of the dried herb. The hot water should take the oils out of the leaves and put them in the water--they are what would contribute to the shine. I don't know if you should leave it in; the rooibos users do. If you rinse it out, I imagine it should be with cool water so that you don't remove the rosemary oil.

Certainly somebody here has had some experience with this....anyone?

ElusiveMuse
April 23rd, 2012, 10:21 PM
Yes, I have used rosemary and hibiscus teas mixed with ACV to bring out dark burgundy tints in my hair. I never rinse it out but instead use it as a final rinse. I spritz a little perfume oil into the mixture so I don't smell like a salad dressing, although I find the scent fades as my hair dries.

Nightblooming makes a nice dark hair tea as well.

door72067
April 24th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I use rosemary

I steep it with English breakfast tea leaves then run it over my hair about 20 times (I plug my sink and just reuse the rinse) then I wrap in a plastic bag and a towel, leave it on for 30 or so minutes then rinse out and deep condition

it really enriches the brunette in my hair (I am currently growing out a reddish brown dye that tends to get a bit brassy) and doesn't stain my silver too much

the rosemary seems to have helped with the shedding I was having (but I also began taking a vitamin supplement, so that may have also contributed)

kittengirl
April 24th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I made a rosemary water last night by boiling fresh leaves for 15 minutes, steeping till cool, then used it as my leave-in rinse and my hair is lovely today. It got rid of my scalp itch and made it very soft. And I love the smell. I think I'm hooked. :) Thanks for the info!

Floryda
April 24th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Rosemary is a good one; sage is also used as a gradual darkener!

kittengirl
April 24th, 2012, 10:35 PM
I did read though that rosemary should not be used by women with a heavy menstrual flow, but I don't think putting it on my hair will hurt, hopefully. It also said not to use when pregnant, but I'm not there yet. ;) Do you know if sage is pregnancy safe, by any chance? (Just curious, not pregnant). :)