PDA

View Full Version : I want to shine!! Again!!

littlemiss
July 26th, 2008, 08:38 PM
At present I feel my hair is lifeless and dull!!:( I have no shine and i dont know why?? but I want my hair to shine again!!
what do others do to promote shine?? please tell all your secrets!!!

NurseMama
July 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Henna is the miraculous shine giver! Cassia if you don't want the red. Hair looks like glass afterwards IMO.

ReadingRenee
July 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I recommend an ACV rinse or maybe clarifying if you think the lack of shine is from build up. :)

littlemiss
July 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I recommend an ACV rinse or maybe clarifying if you think the lack of shine is from build up. :)
ReadingRenee
I might try a ACV rinse but its not from build up as a clarify regularly :shrug:

Nurse mama I dont tnink I want to change my colour tho

spidermom
July 26th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Coconut or olive oil. Start with only 2 drops rubbed between palms, then smoothed over length. Or do a heavy oiling the night before or 1+ hours before washing, then wash with diluted shampoo to scalp only.

It may take a few oilings to get the shine back.

If you already do oiling, try a HALO rinse: Honey, Aloe vera gel, Lemon juice, Oil -- about 1/4 tsp of each in distilled water, warmed. Dunk ends in cup and swish around, then pour slowly through hair, leave in.

littlemiss
July 26th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Coconut or olive oil. Start with only 2 drops rubbed between palms, then smoothed over length. Or do a heavy oiling the night before or 1+ hours before washing, then wash with diluted shampoo to scalp only.

It may take a few oilings to get the shine back.

If you already do oiling, try a HALO rinse: Honey, Aloe vera gel, Lemon juice, Oil -- about 1/4 tsp of each in distilled water, warmed. Dunk ends in cup and swish around, then pour slowly through hair, leave in.
Spidermom
I do regularly oil to but will try the HALO rinse for the Aloe vera gel is that just squeezed out of the plant??and used and what kind of oil any??

daydreamer
July 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I read somewhere on the old boards about using very dilute sugar water. Anyone remember this or how to do it?

Saranne772
July 27th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Personally I sing the praises of ACV!! (Much to my parents dismay, they hate the smell!)

I keep some in a spritzer bottle and spray on very diluted as well as using as a final rinse after washing

eadwine
July 27th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I have the cheapest option ;)

COOOLD water final rinse. I had shine before I used coconut oil, simply because of the rinses :)

julya
July 27th, 2008, 03:53 AM
I have the cheapest option ;)

COOOLD water final rinse. I had shine before I used coconut oil, simply because of the rinses :)

I second this! Cold water works for me!

ChloeDharma
July 27th, 2008, 04:51 AM
A light oiling and smoothing over with a BBB usually gives me shine. As does henna, heavy oilings left in at least overnight, honey treatments and regular misting.

paprikapapaya
July 27th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I have transformed my formerly uber-frizzy mop to managable, shiny hair through using coconut oil, henna, acv rinses, and cold water rinses. It's hard to say what works best, as I think they are all effective.

tiny_teesha
July 27th, 2008, 07:49 AM
henna(cassia really) and placenta mask, catnip tea, clarifying, oils....SMT even perhaps? :)

littlemiss
July 27th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I think I know whats taken my shine away its winter here and cold and I havent been doing the cold rinse thing!! Thanks everyone will try the Halo treatment too!!! :flowers:

intothemist1999
August 7th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I haven't tried a heavy oiling yet.

How often does one do it? I guess it's just applied to the ends? Length?

TIA!

mellie
August 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Yes, henna! I just did a henna and katam treatment, and my hair has the most ridiculous shine ever!!!

Shorty89
August 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I'll third the cold water idea. If you're hair is lighter maybe a SMT. I find they,esspecially the honey give my hair shine.

ladystar
August 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I do it all Henna, ACV, COCONUT OIL, Cold water, many treatments.

Darkhorse1
August 7th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Do you work outdoors? I find the sun kills my shine. I read up on a few products, and my hair dresser said that John Frieda's glaze (clear) is an excellent way to boost shine without using color. I looked into it, but had my hair colored a few weeks ago to cover my gray. So, I will use the glaze from JF when this dulls...probably next year ;)

littlemiss
August 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM
when everyone talks about henna are you talking about colouring your hair or is it a seprate treatment?????
P.S I am in the hair idiot club!!!

Anje
August 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Littlemiss -- people with hair that isn't really dark are definitely getting color from the henna. If you like your current color, your best bet is probably treating with cassia (aka "neutral henna"). Cassia does deposit a little color, but it's a very light yellow, which you probably won't notice unless you have bright gray or platinum blond hair. It should also crank up your shine a few notches.

I can't add a whole lot -- cold water and vinegar rinses do help shine a bit. Honestly, though, the best thing for my shine has been getting my hair into good condition. Sufficiently moisturized hair shines more.

littlemiss
August 8th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Littlemiss -- people with hair that isn't really dark are definitely getting color from the henna. If you like your current color, your best bet is probably treating with cassia (aka "neutral henna"). Cassia does deposit a little color, but it's a very light yellow, which you probably won't notice unless you have bright gray or platinum blond hair. It should also crank up your shine a few notches.

I can't add a whole lot -- cold water and vinegar rinses do help shine a bit. Honestly, though, the best thing for my shine has been getting my hair into good condition. Sufficiently moisturized hair shines more.
So where do you buy it from??? I might give it a whirl!!

cani
August 8th, 2008, 07:23 AM
donīt know where to buy henna and cassia in australia...
but hennad hair really shines wonderfull!

iīm big fan of ice cold acv (after every hairwash) and heavy oil treatments (maybe 1-3 times a month. you will see how often your hair needs that.)
works for me *shine* :)

Anje
August 8th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I imagine the best place for most people to find cassia is online.

Henna Sooq has some: link (http://www.hennasooq.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=43)
Cathrine of Mehandi.com sells it: link (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/cassiaobovatabuy.html)
You might find other online retailers in Australia, though. The folks in the cassia thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=406) will probably tell you more than I can.

sipnsun
August 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the links Anje, I've been interested in cassia too! I have to agree with everyone about the cold water rinse, cold water will make your cuticle (top layer of hair) close down really tight and a compacted cuticle is what gives hair natural shine. The acid in the vinegar will also do the same thing, as hair's ph is 4.5-5.5 and vinegar has a lower ph.