PDA

View Full Version : Hair Repair Recipe I found on Pinterest

Trish in SC
April 23rd, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'd like to know what you all think about this recipe I found on Pinterest:

2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Directions: Mix, apply on dry hair, put hair up for 30-60 minutes, then shampoo & condition.

~ Has anyone used this treatment? Do you think it would be nourishing? Thanks for any input!

MinderMutsig
April 23rd, 2012, 03:08 PM
I don't know if honey mixed with vinegar will release peroxide but this recipe is a little too close to the honey lightning recipe for my comfort.

swearnsue
April 23rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
I would use the olive oil only as a treatment, use the ACV diluted to rinse after the shampoo and put the honey in some tea.

Trish in SC
April 23rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
I don't know if honey mixed with vinegar will release peroxide but this recipe is a little too close to the honey lightning recipe for my comfort.
Hmmm...I didn't think about that! Thanks for that insight. I wondered why they had the ACV in there, as it is used mostly for rinses.

Trish in SC
April 23rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
I would use the olive oil only as a treatment, use the ACV diluted to rinse after the shampoo and put the honey in some tea.
Yeah, that's some good advice, swearnsue! I wasn't too sure about all those ingredients together, so I wanted to ask all the LHC people for help. Thanks :)

PixxieStix
April 23rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
I'd do the olive oil and honey mixed, not so sure about the ACV, maybe it's supposed to help the oil and honey penetrate better? I'd give it a shot once or twice, see if my hair liked it, and if not, just continue with my regular routine of deep olive/sweet almond/coconut/shea butter oil mix for deep conditioning, put honey in my tea and keep rinsing with ACV. :)

Wavelength
April 23rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
Honestly, it sounds to me like someone vaguely heard that all three were good for hair, so they just decided to mix them all up at once.

I agree that it's a bit too close to the honey-lightening treatment.

Melisande
April 23rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
I use a honey-conditioner-ACV mixture as penultimate step of my washing routine. It's really great for my hair - gives lots of shine and grip and slip. I never noticed honey lightening my hair, but I wouldn't mind if it did. It's always possible to nuke the honey before use.

I keep honey and ACV in my shower, as well as citric acid.

I wouldn't use them undiluted on my hair, though.

And olive oil is wonderful as pre-wash soak. I mix it with avocado oil and conditioner for easier emulsifying in washing out. Yes, I also keep olive and avocado oil in my shower ;-)

Trish in SC
April 24th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Hi Melisande ~ Can you tell me more about your mixture? And what does "penultimate" mean? Never heard that word before....

Trish in SC
April 24th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Okay, I used the dictionary, or rather, Google. I know what the word means now: "next to last." Now I wonder, what is your final step in your routine?

pepperminttea
April 24th, 2012, 08:05 AM
And what does "penultimate" mean? Never heard that word before....

Penultimate = next to last, or the one before last. :)

Edit: Darn, too late. Good word though! :D

unknown
April 24th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Would ACV even mix with oil and honey?