PDA

View Full Version : So I saw my hairdresser the other day ...

sycamoreboutiqu
April 22nd, 2012, 11:44 PM
I haven't been to her for a haircut in 3 years, she knows it is because I am growing it long. I am sure she doesn't truly approve, but she is tactful and doesn't say anything.

She is also a friend and we have lunch occasionally, as we did last week.

I hadn't seen her since sometime last year and I knew if I had my hair down (it is wild and wavy most of the time so I rarely wear it loose) I would get some comment about the condition of the ends or something (she is a hairdresser after all). So I decided to wear a braid.

So we meet, and without hesitation she says ok, turn around let me see how those ends look. Now I have taper on the tassel because I still have about 4" to go until I lose all the layers she gave me (I loved those layers, and she did a fantastic job every time I went to her, so no complaints there).
I would get heavy layers and they used to be about 10 or 12 inches from start to the end so I am pretty close to being even now. Still the shaggy end is always a bit annoying.

So I say - Oh they are in pretty good shape actually, she takes ahold of the tassel and goes in for a closer look and goes "Meh" maybe.

I reply - Oh, no. They are just fine. thank you. I check them under a magnifier (and I do) and there are no splits at ALL.

Her reply " Oh, so you are one of THOSE".

LOL I am not sure what one of "those" is - but I would bet all of us here qualify.

Anybody have similar stories ?

bettylibertine
April 22nd, 2012, 11:47 PM
LOL. Oh no - I must be one of "those" too! Love the way you handled the situation - I would have gotten all flustered and mumbly.

MeowScat
April 23rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
Yup!

The last time I was at the salon (over 3 years ago) I thought my hair felt and looked good. Then my hairdresser ran a comb through it and the comb got tangled around APL and he said, "the comb stops here, so the rest is damaged, I should chop it from here."

Huh? No thank you!

:run:

julliams
April 23rd, 2012, 01:46 AM
sycamore boutiqu, I think you are my hair twin. My avatar is not a good photo to compare but if you look at my growth record album, our hair is very similar. I love your colour. It's all natural isn't it.

Yup!

The last time I was at the salon (over 3 years ago) I thought my hair felt and looked good. Then my hairdresser ran a comb through it and the comb got tangled around APL and he said, "the comb stops here, so the rest is damaged, I should chop it from here."

Huh? No thank you!

Seriously? That would put us all at APL then!!! Anything with length will tangle on the first comb through if it hasn't been detangled. I could actually even be at chin length if that was the case. Makes you want to get up out of your seat and go somewhere else!! What does he think damage actually is??

The last hairdressers I went to was literally in a haze when I walked in. Every chair was full and everyone was getting their hair blowdried at the same time. It was one big fryfest. And I'm sure when they were all done - they all had the "healthiest" hair - all nice and bleached with dye and flattened with heat.

MeowScat
April 23rd, 2012, 02:16 AM
Seriously? That would put us all at APL then!!! Anything with length will tangle on the first comb through if it hasn't been detangled. I could actually even be at chin length if that was the case. Makes you want to get up out of your seat and go somewhere else!! What does he think damage actually is??

The last hairdressers I went to was literally in a haze when I walked in. Every chair was full and everyone was getting their hair blowdried at the same time. It was one big fryfest. And I'm sure when they were all done - they all had the "healthiest" hair - all nice and bleached with dye and flattened with heat.[/QUOTE]

He would always start the comb at my scalp...grrr. He thought the hair must be damaged from color and perms I'd had over the years. By that point, my hair was a few years old and if the comb can't slide through, then it's too dry and grabby to him.

Whenever I let him chop, I regretted it. In one snip, boom! There's a years worth of growth laying on the floor. Ugh...makes my tummy twist just thinking about it.

bte
April 23rd, 2012, 02:24 AM
Hairdressers, with a very few exceptions, see hair differently from LHCers. Until we manage to educate them, they will always see things differently.

MinderMutsig
April 23rd, 2012, 07:25 AM
Yup!

Huh? No thank you!

:run: LOL :D

By that reasoning I'm going to have to go for a buzzcut because some of my wurls and waves make tangles near the scalp if you just run a comb through it without detangling first.

afu
April 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
well done for saying what you thought :)

I think the problem is that many hairdressers are trained to look at hair from a fashion perspective, long hair is a classical look. Hairdressers also like to do things that will give an obvious, big change as it feels more fulfilling to them. i know my stylist always feels she has done an incomplete job when she touches up my highlights but isn't allowed to cut anything!

Also 'fashion' can mean horrible things for hair (as we all know), last time i was in the salon waiting for my foils to be done i was given some magazines to flick though - it seemed the big thing was to totally bleach hair and then backcomb it into an awful frizz piled up on the head :/

Some people also think of 'good hair' as being the finished result - hair can look decent but it can have hundreds of different products in it to make it look that way and forced by heat. To most of us here, good hair is a raw product

Micayla47
April 23rd, 2012, 07:59 AM
last time i saw my hairdresser was just before valentine's day. i finally had 4 inches of virgin growth and was adjusting to two tones (growing out bleached-dyed-bleached-highlighted hair). she was tired and busy and she accidentally cut a piece of hair out where bangs would be. she cut them to about 3 inches, so i kinda freaked out and then had real bangs cut (different hairdresser) to cover the mistake. then the two-tones looked really bad so i had it highlighted, which i hated. then my hair was bleached-looking again and about five different colors, so i had about 4-5 inches trimmed (which looks nice 26 in to 22 in). i was scheming about what to with the color next when i stumbled on this site. thank you LHC!!! now my hair is braided and conditioned and safe from me or my hairdresser :)

lapushka
April 23rd, 2012, 08:04 AM
"One of those." Oh, seriously funny. :roll: Who does *she* think she is, anyway? I'd ditch that hairdresser from now on. Hooray for Feye's self-trimming method, I say!

Shebelina
April 23rd, 2012, 08:18 AM
The last time I went to a hairdresser she convinced me not to cut my hair. I was adament I wanted face framing layers, cut from hip to BSL. I'm so glad she convinced me otherwise. Unfortunately it was her last day, and she warned me that the other stylists in the salon would push for me to cut it, so I never went back. I think she was one of the few who appreciates long hair.

torrilin
April 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Yup!

Huh? No thank you!

That is actually a good test on my hair type. When my hair is already detangled tho. See, when my hair is in pretty good shape splits-wise, it will pass the test when it's detangled. When there are a ton of splits... it won't.

BUT. My hair will also (to an untutored person, which includes a lot of stylists) look like it's combed and detangled when it hasn't been. In many situations, it will only stay detangled for about 15 minutes. So just starting in on a test of whether I have splits? That's a bad plan.

And my hair is fairly straight. On other hair types, that kind of test can be actively problematic.

Amber_Maiden
April 23rd, 2012, 09:39 AM
Oh yeah... I guess I'm "one of those" as well. lol

Maverick494
April 23rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
The last time I went to a hairdresser she convinced me not to cut my hair. I was adament I wanted face framing layers, cut from hip to BSL. I'm so glad she convinced me otherwise. Unfortunately it was her last day, and she warned me that the other stylists in the salon would push for me to cut it, so I never went back. I think she was one of the few who appreciates long hair.

My hairdresser is like that too. She actually told me "if you ever want to cut your hair short, find someone else because I'm NEVER going to do it!" She's actually a very fashion conscious person with like 3 colors in her hair, but she loves long hair and she won't cut any more than necessary. There are good LHC proof hairdressers out there.

Whenever my own hairdresser isn't available for a cut and I have to go somewhere else, I tell them: "cut this [insert indication] and only this. If you cut more I will not pay a penny. The reason I'm telling you this is because it went wrong before. Less is more in my case."

Also, if you want to change your hemline or something, remember that not every hairdresser knows how to do them. I always tell them "If you don't know how to do it, tell me. There's no shame in that. What would be a shame is trying and ending up with an unsatisfactory result." That usually opens them up.

Basically, if you want a hairdresser to do what you want, you gotta be clear and firm about it. We're different costumers, so we should let them know that. Most people don't look at hair the way we do.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2012, 10:02 AM
I'm a self-trimmer now, but my ends do tend to dry out and get all splitty, so my hair stylist merely confirmed what I already knew.

Anje
April 23rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Yup!

Huh? No thank you!

By that logic, all curlies should have buzz cuts!

jacqueline101
April 23rd, 2012, 10:24 AM
I think you handled the situation great. I can't get over her reply. One of those so do we have a disease. What's up with that?

Of the Fae
April 23rd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Yes, it happened to me, too...
A hairdresser told me my ends looked damaged (which is not the case, they are just not at the same length, because they don't grow at the same rate...). I told her I removed all split ends myself. She replied: "Oh... I was afraid of that"
By the way, she isn't my hairdresser, so I have no idea why I got that comment.

Shebelina
April 24th, 2012, 11:28 AM
My hairdresser is like that too. She actually told me "if you ever want to cut your hair short, find someone else because I'm NEVER going to do it!" She's actually a very fashion conscious person with like 3 colors in her hair, but she loves long hair and she won't cut any more than necessary. There are good LHC proof hairdressers out there.

It's fantastic when you find a good hairdresser who understands exactly what you want. The hairdresser I met was very fashionable too, also with multi-coloured hair. She told me that it was so unusual to see such long hair that she wouldn't take anymore that two inches off, and if I didn't like that I could find someone else to cut it. I really glad she stuck to her guns, otherwise I would have much shorter hair today.

tropicalshoes
April 25th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Mine always forgets to trim my ends.. lucky me I guess!

Lady Dragon
April 25th, 2012, 02:18 AM
My hairdresser was my neighbour for years.
I'm thinking of going in for a little trim JUST to say hi.
Haha.

My hair just finally got past shoulder length. :)

MinderMutsig
April 25th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Mine always forgets to trim my ends.. lucky me I guess! So what does she do? :confused: