PDA

View Full Version : Stretching washes = itch scalp

AdaClare
April 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM
I recently started stretching washes (washing every other day instead of daily). The first day after skipping a wash my scalp was really itchy. :( I almost didn't wash it last night because I wanted to keep consistent with the every other day washing, but didn't want it to itch again to day so I ended up CO-ing (I usually CWC when I wash). Any suggestions on if/how the itchiness can be avoided? Thanks!

marykatz
April 22nd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Oh I had/have the same problem. It took almost two months for my scalp to adjust. Here are some of the things I did to relieve the itch:

Added 1 Tblsp brown sugar to 3 Tbsp conditioner and scrubbed my scalp with the mixture.

Rubbed a little tea tree oil where it was itchy.

Spritzed my scalp with water with lavender oil.

I hope some of these suggestions help. It know it can be a tough transition.

AdaClare
April 22nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks, maybe I'll give those a try. :)

Roscata
April 22nd, 2012, 11:27 PM
The scalp scrub marykatz recommended can be helpful if the cause is scalp build-up.

I found some help with my itchy scalp in this article: Dry, itchy scalp treatments (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=6) (CO, ACV and Tea Tree oil helped the most for me), although my scalp is oily not dry.

Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34344) also helped a lot with my itchiness (and shedding) used pre-wash on my scalp (leaving it on for 1 hour to overnight).

Good luck! :)

Carissamarie08
April 23rd, 2012, 12:08 AM
I need to do this cause I get itchy scalp all the time if I stretch.

julliams
April 23rd, 2012, 01:52 AM
CO washing makes my scalp itch. I do find that by day three I'm starting to scratch too. I'm not really sure what it is exactly but when that happens and my scalp gets sore I know it's time to wash again. I normally get these sensations before my hair actually goes greasy. It could be the grease coming in that causes the itchies?

AdaClare
April 23rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks again for the advice. :)

julliams I had wondered about the grease/oil coming, too. Maybe since I was shampooing daily my scalp wasn't used to that much grease being in my hair?

blondie9912
April 24th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Honestly, some people just cannot stretch washes. I have a friend with quite oily hair who used to wash daily, but after I told her that it is bad for hair she cut down to every other day. Every time she tries to stretch up to 3 days she scratches at her scalp all day long. You can definitely try to stretch washes, but if after a few months you cannot get past a certain amount of days without washing, maybe it isn't for you. Just a tip, because a lot of people think that stretching washes is the holy grail of good haircare, but it doesn't work for everyone. While I'm not advocating washing your hair daily, it's fine to wash your hair every 3 days; you don't have to be as extreme as say... 7 days if your scalp itches as a result. Good luck! :)

Amethyste
April 24th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Try oil of Oregano. Very awesome against itchy scalp.

AdaClare
April 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM
What I've ended up doing the past couple days is keeping up with switching between CO and CWC (though I'll probably try skipping every other day again soon). When I do, if I find that it starts itching again I'll try one of those out. :)

Raging Wolf
April 25th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Oh I had/have the same problem. It took almost two months for my scalp to adjust. Here are some of the things I did to relieve the itch:

Added 1 Tblsp brown sugar to 3 Tbsp conditioner and scrubbed my scalp with the mixture.

Rubbed a little tea tree oil where it was itchy.

Spritzed my scalp with water with lavender oil.

I hope some of these suggestions help. It know it can be a tough transition.

What type of brown sugar do you use? Is it the sugar in the raw granules or the regular brown sugar that you use for baking. Sorry to sound like a complete idiot, but I am not sure which one to use.

Amanah
April 25th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I recently started stretching washes (washing every other day instead of daily). The first day after skipping a wash my scalp was really itchy. :( I almost didn't wash it last night because I wanted to keep consistent with the every other day washing, but didn't want it to itch again to day so I ended up CO-ing (I usually CWC when I wash). Any suggestions on if/how the itchiness can be avoided? Thanks!

dry shampoo on the itchy spots?

Topaz
April 25th, 2012, 01:06 PM
My problem with itchy scalp was always the exact opposite. I was washing every day and my scalp was always itchy. I discovered LHC and started stretching my washes, and low and behold the itching got better. I eliminated the itching completely when I started CO washing. Now my scalp only gets itchy about every 6 weeks or so when I clarify, or if I go more than about 7 days between washes.

marykatz
April 25th, 2012, 04:33 PM
What type of brown sugar do you use? Is it the sugar in the raw granules or the regular brown sugar that you use for baking. Sorry to sound like a complete idiot, but I am not sure which one to use.

I just used regular brown sugar that I would use for baking (if I ever did that ;) ). You can also use quinoa (spelling?).

earthnut
April 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM
When I stretched my washes, I got itchy too. I figure it's because my scalp was addicted to the shampoo-crack, it had to go through some withdrawal symptoms. ;) Over time, it subsided on its own. It helped to itch my scalp well while under running water, but when dry I kept my hands off of it, so as not to make it more irritated. Also, it helped to moisturize my scalp, either with extra conditioner or a little oil.

Instead of not washing at all every other day, try doing water only every other day, and massage your scalp under the running water but don't add any product except a little conditioner or oil to keep your hair from drying out.

After a while of that, it'll be easier to not wash at all.

spidermom
April 25th, 2012, 05:56 PM
The same happened to me. I wanted to go from 2-3 times per week to once per week but have decided I will wash my hair whenever I think it needs to be washed.

AdaClare
April 25th, 2012, 06:06 PM
When I stretched my washes, I got itchy too. I figure it's because my scalp was addicted to the shampoo-crack, it had to go through some withdrawal symptoms. ;) Over time, it subsided on its own. It helped to itch my scalp well while under running water, but when dry I kept my hands off of it, so as not to make it more irritated. Also, it helped to moisturize my scalp, either with extra conditioner or a little oil.

Instead of not washing at all every other day, try doing water only every other day, and massage your scalp under the running water but don't add any product except a little conditioner or oil to keep your hair from drying out.

After a while of that, it'll be easier to not wash at all.

I've been trying that (just using conditioner between shampoo washings) and so far it's worked. :)

Moonfaerie
February 2nd, 2016, 05:58 PM
I've just started trying to stretch my washes cause I notice my curls look better when I don't wash every day. I was doing every other day and that was fine. I washed Sunday, but not yesterday or today and I noticed that my head is itchy.

Carolyn
February 2nd, 2016, 06:19 PM
You have to find a balance that's right for you. I get a terribly itchy sore scalp by the end of the 3rd day. And my ends are super dry by that time too. I wash when I get itchy and/or sore. Or I am going somewhere that day where I want to look nice. It doesn't have to be a washing with shampoo. Co washing is very cleansing to the scalp and hair.

nalgena
February 3rd, 2016, 01:50 PM
I've got issues with itchy scalp too. I've tried just about everything and I can't seem to figure out what helps and what doesn't. Sometimes I can go without washing for 4 days without any problems, other times it starts itching first day after washing. Tea tree oil seems to help, but not always. I think that in my case the itching might be also stress related. Oh, onion juice seems to help, but I don't do it very often anymore because of the smell.

Ve
February 3rd, 2016, 02:50 PM
How diluted is your shampoo? Maybe they are just too strong. I dilute mine 10 to 1. You can just scalp wash too. It is skin it need to be clean for me or I shed to many hairs.

I am in a very hot climate +35C and here I have to wash my scalp every 2 to 3 days but in cooler climates a lot less. I put my hair in a ponytail and leave the tail out and after I shampoo my scalp, condition the tail and both turn out happy.

Gaalsong
February 4th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Have you tried using a wide-tooth comb or the pads of your fingers to just scritch for a while? People who do water only or sebum only scritch as part of their routine. I had tried WO for a while, and even though I am CWC again, I still scritch. It feels nice and it keeps me from scratching my head with my nails.

Also, I remember my head getting itchy on day two a long time ago, when I used to wash every day. Now it doesn't until maybe day four. Might just take a while for your head to get used to your new routine.