PDA

View Full Version : Taming Down the Smell of Henna

Mayflower
April 22nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Hey friends,

I've been doing henna-indigo for the last 2,5 years. Since a few months I'm using high quality henna and indigo (and amla) which results in a colour that stays so I only have to touch up my roots every now and then. But, the smell of it is WAY more overpowering than what I'm used to. I could handle it until the last time, when I threw up twice because the smell got me so nauseous. Tomorrow I'm doing my roots and I don't want to go through that again.

So. Are there any tricks to mask the smell, without interfering with the henna, indigo or amla? I've read that one can add essential oils to the mixture, but do I need to be carefull which ones?

Hope I get an aswer before tomorrow morning, thanks in advance!

swearnsue
April 22nd, 2012, 05:16 PM
I've added different oils but it doesn't really mask the smell and if you add enough it will irritate your scalp anyway. Can you apply the henna outside in the fresh air? I guess I don't have an answer for you, sorry.

Georgies
April 22nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Ginger! I read that here a bunch of times but I was skeptical that it would work. I thought that an overpowering smell of ginger wouldn't be any better than an overpowering smell of henna. But I put just a bit of ginger in my last mix, half a tsp or less, and it really reduced the smell. It didn't smell like ginger at all, it just made the henna smell less overpowering.

Mayflower
April 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I ended up doing it yesterday evening and put ginger and cloves in it and it completely neutralized the scent!!Granted, it was just my roots this time and not my whole head, but I'm so happy I didn't get nauseous.
Thanks you two!

Majala
April 24th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I just have to say that your color is great! And you're so lucky it sticks for you! I did 2 step twice in a matter of less than 3 weeks (haven't used amla though) and while my hair is darker after the second hendigo, indigo is fading. I was wondering how you mixed henna, indigo and amla - did you do a 1 or 2 step hendigo? I think I'm going to try amla next time too.

Mayflower
April 26th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Aww, thank you! I have to say that the colour I have now is pretty recent (a few months). Before that I could only get a medium reddish brown on my naturally dark blonde colour. I used Lush henna and the pre-mixed ones from Henné Color.
Since october/november I've been ordering my henna and indigo (and amla) from http://www.henneindigoetcompagnie.fr/. I live in Belgium so the shipping costs are pretty high, but in total I must have saved about 100 euros because after two henna sessions I got the colour I have now and it STAYS! Whereas before I had to re-dye after 3 weeks.
After the first session the indigo faded a bit, but now I can wash with sulfate shampoos and it won't budge.

I always do a one step with ratio 1:2:1 henna:indigo:amla. I use 100gr henna, 200gr indigo and 100gr amla, sometimes less. Good luck!

Majala
April 26th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I always do a one step with ratio 1:2:1 henna:indigo:amla. I use 100gr henna, 200gr indigo and 100gr amla, sometimes less. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your recipe, I will try it out the next time I hendigo. It's amazing you got such dark and beautiful color with one step!

Intotouch
May 2nd, 2012, 11:33 AM
I mix my henna/cassia/amla into yogurt and there is no strong smell. The yogurt gives it a great consistency, makes it very easy to apply, less drippy and you use less henna as it stretches it out. I'd recommend it. Add henna to the yogurt though, not the other way around.

red-again
May 2nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
I've used henna cor the last 5 years and though I love the smell, I started to get itchyness and soreness when my acid in the mix was lemon juice so a year ago I switched to making a stron large cup of herbal tea, any fruit tea will do but I like a blackberry and apple one. When it has cooled to warm. hand hot I add it in and I swear the mix smells of the tea not henna. I hennaed yesterday and can't smell henna today, nor could I smell it whilst it was on my head.

I have used indigo though as a two step and I hate its sharp, dry smell. I have no idea if the tea would cover the smell of henndigo combined but it may be worth a try if you don't use tea already.

Oh and as another suggestion, I use 10 to 15 drops of patchouli oil in my henna. It isn't a terp, but its earthy smell really works with the henna. And next day all you smell is patchouli.

rock007junkie
May 2nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Ginger is great for covering the smell. However, I found two other things that in my opinion work better because I love their smell: clove and cinnamon powder! To me at least, they smell really good and neutrilize the henna smell.

sarahbrownie
May 3rd, 2012, 10:45 PM
Ginger is great for covering the smell. However, I found two other things that in my opinion work better because I love their smell: clove and cinnamon powder! To me at least, they smell really good and neutrilize the henna smell.

Yep! Plus nutmeg! It makes it smell like apple pie. Also, those spices help bring out the red! I use more than a tablespoon for each and it really covers up the wet hay smell. However, I have to say, you get use to the smell. It's a trigger for me, every time I smell it my brain knows it's spa day!

oktobergoud
May 5th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I'm going to try the cinnamon powder! But isn't it irritating for the skin? Or was that something different?

Shatam1
May 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'm going to try the cinnamon powder! But isn't it irritating for the skin? Or was that something different?

Cinnamon didn't work for me. The smell actually made me gag. Honestly henna alone is more pf a nice smell than ciannamon added or cloves. The only two things that help camouflage the smell ( according to my nose) are lavender oil or Ginger , other than that nothing works. I actually love the earthy smell of henna now:)

oktobergoud
May 6th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Cinnamon didn't work for me. The smell actually made me gag. Honestly henna alone is more pf a nice smell than ciannamon added or cloves. The only two things that help camouflage the smell ( according to my nose) are lavender oil or Ginger , other than that nothing works. I actually love the earthy smell of henna now:)

I don't mind the smell when I'm actually putting the henna on my hair, but I really hate it when it comes back later. As in, when I sweat, or when it gets wet or anything like that. Essential oils and stuff make it smell nice when I put it on, but I still get that wet dog smell weeks after! :(

SilverDoe
May 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I use hibiscus petal powder, originally to slightly boost red tones & for hair growth/shiny hair.
But it actually adds a really nice scent to the henna. Doesn't mask it as well as ginger that I unfortunately react to.

I use at least 4 tablespoons per 100 grams of henna.