PDA

View Full Version : Recommend something Sebastian for someone who never uses products

PolarCathy
April 22nd, 2012, 03:54 AM
So here is the deal. I can get my hands on one or two Sebastian products for free now. Typical of me, that I've been having this offer since last September or October and I haven't gone for it yet... It's because I'm done with traditional shampoos, balsams let alone gels, sprays and so on.

Right now I'm tentatively using Mane 'n Tail after years of water-only but that's about the only "product" I use, then of course oils and aloe vera gel.

I have some pictures in my album about how my hair looks like. Basically it's MBL, f/m, wavy in general but curly at the nape. I have no damage or split ends but I'm not always very tender with my hair when I detangle. I comb it in the shower. Otherwise I am unable to comb it dry. I have been thinking about some kind of detangler/leave-in for a long time, I just don't quite know what I'm looking for.

Anyhow I was thinking about getting a Sebastian Potion 9 to try. What else could you guys/gals recommend me?

Thanks in advance.

Polar

ETA: I can get anything from the Sebastian lineup up to 40 euros. So it will be one something (I'm in Europe, prices are higher here) and another something if I want to pay more for it.

PolarCathy
April 22nd, 2012, 06:04 AM
54 views and no reply :demon: Now that's disheartening!

Hmmmm. Then I will rely on Google. :demon:

Melolf
April 22nd, 2012, 06:33 AM
Sorry, no idea what this Sebastian products are, I don't think they sell them around here!:shrug:

PolarCathy
April 22nd, 2012, 06:48 AM
Sorry, no idea what this Sebastian products are, I don't think they sell them around here!:shrug:

No? :rolleyes:
Then I guess it's the end of this story... thanks for replying. Will probably give it away then. I have some PJ friends.

door72067
April 22nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
years ago (maybe 20 years ago!) I used a leave-in by Sebastian but a quick look through the product page doesn't bring it up, so I guess they no longer make it

I think the "taming elixir" is probably similar

they do have the MSDS (material safety data sheet) on their website, so maybe that would help you decide?

door72067
April 22nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
double post

Calaelen
April 22nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
I personally didn't like potion 9 due to stickiness it left in my hair. Potion 7 however, I loved, though I don't know if it still exists. I know you're not into traditional shampoos or anything, but the Laminates Polishing shampoo was my favourite product ever tried. That stuff made my hair look so shiny healthy and luxurious. The only reason I don't still use it is that I am a total cheapo, and I've discovered my scalp hates anything other than eggs and lemon.

rock007junkie
April 22nd, 2012, 10:14 AM
I used potion 9 for a really long time. It was a really great leave in.

PolarCathy
April 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks! Does this thing contain silicones? I'm reading contradictory info. The Potion 9.

No shampoo for now... leave-in and stuff like that I'm investigating. It's because I don't want to use shampoo at all. Was perfectly happy without it :)

I'm trying the Mane 'n Tail just because I'm hoping that it gives me better growth :) If it doesn't I ditch it. If it does, I still ditch it after some time because once I get to waist I go back to water-only, I think. Other than that, for me to try a new shampoo, it has to be able to make my morning tea, my breakfast shake and prepare my lunch which is unlikely ;)

Never heard of the Potion 7 but will google.

Audrey Horne
April 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
I know I'm not much of a help but I'd go either for a leave-in or some gel that I'd use for a very special occasion. I think. Well, something that doesn't touch the roots. Maybe they have some line for curlies? Usually all salon brands do.

You - F/M?! You must be kidding me ;) solid M, that's for sure.

PolarCathy
April 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
I know I'm not much of a help but I'd go either for a leave-in or some gel that I'd use for a very special occasion. I think. Well, something that doesn't touch the roots. Maybe they have some line for curlies? Usually all salon brands do.

You - F/M?! You must be kidding me ;) solid M, that's for sure.

Why wouldn't you be of help, my friend?

Thing is, I have no special occasions in my life, it's kinda boring. But yeah I think I could use a leave-in. At least sometimes. My hair is still kinda wiry to the touch.

rock007junkie
April 22nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks! Does this thing contain silicones? I'm reading contradictory info. The Potion 9.

No shampoo for now... leave-in and stuff like that I'm investigating. It's because I don't want to use shampoo at all. Was perfectly happy without it :)

I'm trying the Mane 'n Tail just because I'm hoping that it gives me better growth :) If it doesn't I ditch it. If it does, I still ditch it after some time because once I get to waist I go back to water-only, I think. Other than that, for me to try a new shampoo, it has to be able to make my morning tea, my breakfast shake and prepare my lunch which is unlikely ;)

Never heard of the Potion 7 but will google.

These are the ingredients:
Water/Aqua, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Stearalkonium Chloride, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Choride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, PVP, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Silk, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth 10, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Panthenol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil,
Oenothra Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Propylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Pimenta Dioca Leaf Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Hydroxyethylcellolose, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Annatto (Cl 75120), Est. Violet 2 (Cl 60730), Orange 4 (Cl 15510), Red 40 (Cl 16035).,

The bolded is the only cone and this is what I found about it:

Trimethylsilylamodimethicone (aka Amine functional siloxane; TSA)
This belongs to a group of silicones that are known to have excellent hair and skin conditioning abilities, but can cause skin irritation [Schueller pgs 179-180].

I hope this helps you.

Audrey Horne
April 22nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
Why wouldn't you be of help, my friend?

Thing is, I have no special occasions in my life, it's kinda boring. But yeah I think I could use a leave-in. At least sometimes. My hair is still kinda wiry to the touch.

I think I'm not a great helper here because I've never owned their products, I'm also not a product-user. But I actually own one coney leave-in (that I never use) :) Usually I don't have special occasions but maybe when my hair is MBL+ I'll be in the mood for it. And if you use a harsher 'poo it will wash the cones away.
After all it's also free! :D

Our methods are great and give quality hair but are a tad unreliable (at least mine). There might be days when you need some reliable styling, for example.

I think more moisture give softer hair. I know you like honey; did you try honey rinses?

I love your cute wires :crush:

Long_hair_bear
April 22nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
I liked sebastians drench deep treatment. It does have cones though, but I am a coney so I like it. :)

PolarCathy
April 22nd, 2012, 09:31 PM
I think more moisture give softer hair. I know you like honey; did you try honey rinses?

I love your cute wires :crush:

Yeah. I sometimes forget to boil it for a few minutes :demon: :demon:

Honey seems to work well for me. Still, even though my hair has never seen chemicals I think the last 5..8 cm should be chopped. Unfortunate. It behaves very differently from the rest. Wiry no matter what I do. The rest is wiry only like 10% of the time while the ends, 90% of the time. The very few times it's soft that's after an overnight "baggy" with AVG. I think it may be the last hair from my driving-the-car-with-the-windows-down-all-the-summer era. I have done some brutal things to my hair even without chemicals, lol.

Not sure about cones though because then I'll have to clarify too (I hate how stripped my hair feels after that...) that's why I'm so careful.

sycamoreboutiqu
April 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
Wow, this is a blast from the past.

I used to be a distributor rep for Sebastian in Illinois (their headquarters are in Woodland Hills CA). They closed their ILL office and after that it got harder to find some of the products.
Incredibly I just threw out some product I still had in my cabinet - Potion 9 was one of them. It was 25 years old, probably not too usable ... lol.

The company itself was a bit erratic - long story - but the products were top notch. I loved everything they made, especially the makeup line Trucco - which I can't find anywhere these days. I still have some of the eyeshadows, as good today as they were then.

Since I don't really know what products are still available - if you could post a list I could tell you what I know/knew about how they performed.

PolarCathy
April 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Wow, this is a blast from the past.

I used to be a distributor rep for Sebastian in Illinois (their headquarters are in Woodland Hills CA). They closed their ILL office and after that it got harder to find some of the products.
Incredibly I just threw out some product I still had in my cabinet - Potion 9 was one of them. It was 25 years old, probably not too usable ... lol.

The company itself was a bit erratic - long story - but the products were top notch. I loved everything they made, especially the makeup line Trucco - which I can't find anywhere these days. I still have some of the eyeshadows, as good today as they were then.

Since I don't really know what products are still available - if you could post a list I could tell you what I know/knew about how they performed.

Thanks! These (https://www.bangerhead.se/cgi-bin/ibutik/AIR_ibutik.pl?funk=gor_sokning_LSS&AvanceradSokning=N&artnr=&varum=&artgrp=&Sprak_Suffix=SV&sokterm=sebastian) seem to be the products I can get here in Sweden.

ETA: This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2094346&postcount=1617) is the head of hair it would be slapped on.

sycamoreboutiqu
April 22nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
Oh geez - I just wrote the Longest ... reply and I got a "server busy" error and it was all erased.

In a nutshell - I would go for the Deep Conditioning treatment, and maybe the Trilliant or maybe the Potion 9 Lite.

Shaper is a hairspray and most of the others are styling products, pretty heavy duty.

Hope that helps.

PolarCathy
April 22nd, 2012, 10:46 PM
Oh geez - I just wrote the Longest ... reply and I got a "server busy" error and it was all erased.

In a nutshell - I would go for the Deep Conditioning treatment, and maybe the Trilliant or maybe the Potion 9 Lite.

Shaper is a hairspray and most of the others are styling products, pretty heavy duty.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! I really don't get these timeouts, there are not so many users logged in. I was writing something too and it got erased as well.

Audrey Horne
April 22nd, 2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah. I sometimes forget to boil it for a few minutes :demon: :demon:

Honey seems to work well for me. Still, even though my hair has never seen chemicals I think the last 5..8 cm should be chopped. Unfortunate. It behaves very differently from the rest. Wiry no matter what I do. The rest is wiry only like 10% of the time while the ends, 90% of the time. The very few times it's soft that's after an overnight "baggy" with AVG. I think it may be the last hair from my driving-the-car-with-the-windows-down-all-the-summer era. I have done some brutal things to my hair even without chemicals, lol.

Not sure about cones though because then I'll have to clarify too (I hate how stripped my hair feels after that...) that's why I'm so careful.

That's exactly what I had with my old hair that I've chopped. Your future condi should handle it. If not - add coco oil there. Baggy on for a few mins, it should give you the needed softness. I think ends will always rough up no matter what.

PolarCathy
April 26th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Update. I got the Potion 9 finally ("cream" version), the bottle looked very sexy :)