PDA

View Full Version : Searching for the perfect leave-in...

HintOfMint
April 22nd, 2012, 02:28 AM
The TL;DR version of this post: no humectants, no cones, no proteins, preferably a creamy consistency without being sticky.

So after my brief dalliance with cones, I've decided to switch back to cone-free as I missed my bun waves (cones basically straightened my hair).

The problem is, I'm on the hunt for a decent after-wash product to use in my hair and so many things don't work in my hair. I can't let it dry with nothing in it, that's not an option.
I'm looking for something that smooths my hair without knocking out the body and wave, but still weighs it down just a tad. Basically I'm like Goldilocks minus the breaking and entering. :p

I've found that humectant heavy (glycerin, aloe) products makes my hair fluff and frizz in a really unattractive way unless the weather is perfect (and who wants that kind of unpredictability?).

Oils (olive, grapeseed, jojoba, coconut) tend to be great at not weighing my hair down, but they tend to be too light, and if I add more it turns awful and greasy. Oils for me tend to have a very narrow sweet spot.

Shea butter and shea heavy products like Panacea were great in the winter, but it ended up being way too tacky on my ends for regular use. It's too bad because for a brief glimmering moment I thought I had found my Holy Grail product.

Like I've said before, cones knock out the wave in my hair and even make my curls from my Caruso rollers fall out.

Lotion textured products tend to get lost in my hair but pomades don't spread very easily. Creams are perfect as long as they're not too liquidy.

Protein dries my hair out.

I'm sick of being a mad scientist and never getting the mixture right and never being able to predict a decent hair day. Honestly, I'd rather just buy something. I want my hair to feel and look like hair again.

Anybody have any recommendations? Any at all? I'm sorry for the novel, but I swear it's all relevant. :)

PS: water soluble cones are okay.

fridgee
April 22nd, 2012, 03:01 AM
Have you tried using a dab of your normal conditioner as a leave in on wet hair? It works really well for me, and you already know you like the product if your using it to condition with! :flower:

ETA: if your in the UK I love boots pink curl cream as my leave in. It's cone free, incredibly cheap for a pot that will never run out and defines and shines my wurls wonderfully.

HintOfMint
April 22nd, 2012, 03:39 AM
Have you tried using a dab of your normal conditioner as a leave in on wet hair? It works really well for me, and you already know you like the product if your using it to condition with! :flower:

ETA: if your in the UK I love boots pink curl cream as my leave in. It's cone free, incredibly cheap for a pot that will never run out and defines and shines my wurls wonderfully.

Alas, I'm not in the UK.

I haven't had too much luck in the past with applying my regular conditioner as a leave in, but that may have to do with the formulation. I'm fine with using humectants and the like in a rinse-out conditioner, so that may have been the culprit.

I have some Toadstool Deep Conditioner (from Etsy) that has some very basic ingredients that's all emollients, preservatives and fragrance, so maybe that will work out better. Also the scent is to die for! Fingers crossed! Thanks!

melusine963
April 22nd, 2012, 04:25 AM
I've just bought some of this, but I'm a bit unsure how to use it (I haven't used any products like this in years). How much do you use, and how do you apply it? On dry or wet hair? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Pixie0763
April 22nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
I've not looked into the ingredients, but have you tried Infusium 23? I put it in a mister.

lapushka
April 22nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
I'm using got2b curl cream, but I'm not sure if it's available everywhere.

Kelikea
April 22nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
I like Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Hair Creme or V05 strawberies and cream as a leave in.

afu
April 22nd, 2012, 09:26 AM
i use my regular cone free conditioner as a leave in followed by coconut oil, the combination seems to work best for my hair. Is it worth addressing you wash routine? CO worked wonders for me, leaves my hair lovely and soft and managable without weighing it down

rock007junkie
April 22nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
This is the best I've tried. Leaves my hair so moisturized and it smells amazing.

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/71223033

spookyghost
April 22nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
I like Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Hair Creme or V05 strawberies and cream as a leave in.

Can you buy Dr. Bonner's hair products anywhere or do I have to get it online? I say Dr. Bonners liguid soap at Kmart but nothing for the hair. Im trying to find a shampoo/conditioner/leave in that my hair loves but Im on LHC overload right now. Dont know if I should do herbs or shampoo. I did a CO today after a night of castor oil and grease-city! Well not that bad but I cant do that again!

Melisande
April 22nd, 2012, 11:14 AM
I heard great things about the HennaPlus Hairwonder Cream - didn't try it myself.

I recently discovered my holy grail: a mixture of lanolin and natural oils that is intended for nursing mothers :-D but makes my ends extremely happy. My hair just sucks it up and it makes really nice, juicy, shiny hair.

Until now, Fox' sheabutter cream was my all time favourite leave in ... but the lanolin is even better. They must have similar mixtures and ointments in pharmacies everywhere.

HintOfMint
April 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
i use my regular cone free conditioner as a leave in followed by coconut oil, the combination seems to work best for my hair. Is it worth addressing you wash routine? CO worked wonders for me, leaves my hair lovely and soft and managable without weighing it down

I do something close, I CWC. I tried CO, but it made my hair shed like crazy. Thanks though! I should probably get a bottle of coconut oil, I tossed my old one when I was moving.

Kelikea
April 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
Can you buy Dr. Bonner's hair products anywhere or do I have to get it online? I say Dr. Bonners liguid soap at Kmart but nothing for the hair. Im trying to find a shampoo/conditioner/leave in that my hair loves but Im on LHC overload right now. Dont know if I should do herbs or shampoo. I did a CO today after a night of castor oil and grease-city! Well not that bad but I cant do that again!

They might carry it at health food stores, but I always find a better price online at vitacost. You can use the Dr. Bronner's liquid soap on your hair, but dilute it and follow with an acidic rinse, such as diluted vinegar. It also works well diluted 1:1 with water and a tsp of coconut oil (oil shampoo).

HintOfMint
April 22nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
I've not looked into the ingredients, but have you tried Infusium 23? I put it in a mister.

It has amodimethicone as the first ingredient, and while it's one of the better cones, I still don't want to deal with any cones straightening my hair. Thanks though, it looks good for when I want straight days.

I'm using got2b curl cream, but I'm not sure if it's available everywhere.

The ingredients list seems alright. The water soluble cone, the glycerin and the protein are all in the middle of the ingredients list, so hopefully they won't have too bad of an effect on my hair as they would if they were featured more prominently. Thanks though!

The Dr. Bronner's stuff seems like it would smell like a dream, but it has the drying kind of alcohol as the third ingredient which seems like it would dry out my hair. The V05 stuff apparently has protein, which my hair is sensitive to. Thanks though!

This is the best I've tried. Leaves my hair so moisturized and it smells amazing.

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/71223033

This looks awesome, but I'm a bit wary of having honey (a humectant) in my leave-in. It is in the middle of the ingredients list, so it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks though!

I heard great things about the HennaPlus Hairwonder Cream - didn't try it myself.

I recently discovered my holy grail: a mixture of lanolin and natural oils that is intended for nursing mothers :-D but makes my ends extremely happy. My hair just sucks it up and it makes really nice, juicy, shiny hair.

Until now, Fox' sheabutter cream was my all time favourite leave in ... but the lanolin is even better. They must have similar mixtures and ointments in pharmacies everywhere.

Hmm, that looks promising! Might be a bit weird to explain to my shopping buddies, but seems like it would be easy to find!

It seems really hard to find something that is completely cone free, humectant free, and protein free so maybe I should just try to find something that just doesn't have it too high up on the ingredients list.
Thanks!

Kelikea
April 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
A lot of people worry about the alcohol in the Dr. B's hair creme, but after trying it I can say that it is not drying at all. It makes my hair very soft and shiny.

fridgee
April 22nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
I've just bought some of this, but I'm a bit unsure how to use it (I haven't used any products like this in years). How much do you use, and how do you apply it? On dry or wet hair? Thanks for any advice you can give!

I use it by dipping my index finger in it up to the first knuckle and pulling it out again, which gives me enough for my APL hair. Then I rub it between my palms so it turns white then scrunch into wet hair. It says you can use it on dry hair but I've not tried it. I love this stuff! Hope that helps :flower:

Hollyfire3
April 22nd, 2012, 04:44 PM

Infusiam 23 is a protein heavy leave in I believe. The OP said no protein and this sure made my hair horrible (my hair hates protein) when tried it.

MagicalMystery
April 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
As a girl who can't live without leave-in conditioner, take my word for it after years of desperately searching for the perfect one... that it's Giovanni's Direct leave-In Conditioner. It's absolutely perfect. It's so perfect that upon application, my tangles seem to melt away.

HintOfMint
April 22nd, 2012, 06:28 PM
A lot of people worry about the alcohol in the Dr. B's hair creme, but after trying it I can say that it is not drying at all. It makes my hair very soft and shiny.

Hmm, intriguing, haha.

As a girl who can't live without leave-in conditioner, take my word for it after years of desperately searching for the perfect one... that it's Giovanni's Direct leave-In Conditioner. It's absolutely perfect. It's so perfect that upon application, my tangles seem to melt away.

I had such high hopes for that one! I really wanted to like it but it left my hair sticky and gummy :(
I looked at the ingredients list and it's aloe heavy, which has never really gone over well in my hair for some reason. Maybe it's not because of the aloe, since it's in a blend, I don't know.

Thanks for the recommendation though! I might try it again because it seems so perfect.

DreadfulWoman
April 22nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
I had such high hopes for that one! I really wanted to like it but it left my hair sticky and gummy :(
I looked at the ingredients list and it's aloe heavy, which has never really gone over well in my hair for some reason. Maybe it's not because of the aloe, since it's in a blend, I don't know.

Thanks for the recommendation though! I might try it again because it seems so perfect.

Aloe is a humectant.

I don't have any good answer for you, but I would love to find something similar. My hair does fine with protein, but I'm trying to avoid cones and I can't really use humectants as a leave-in in this dry climate I live in. So maybe your holy grail product would be mine as well, which is to say I think I might just keep an eye on this thread.

jojo
April 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
I have found no better than a couple of drops of baby oil on damp hair, my hair has never been better since using it!

Starblanket
April 22nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
I have found no better than a couple of drops of baby oil on damp hair, my hair has never been better since using it!

I second this! I never thought anything would leave my hair tangle-free and moisturized (without being greasy) until I met mineral oil and found a new best friend hehe. :D Ktani has a great article on mineral oil, the stigma around it makes it seems malignant but I assure you it's not.

JellyBene
April 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM
I really enjoy Tigi Let it Be leave in conditioner

amantha
April 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
I just started using Alaffia's Beautiful Curls leave-in and I think (crossing my fingers!) that it's my Holy Grail leave-in. My hair just drinks this stuff up..and I've never found a leave-in that has moisturized my hair so well without weighing down my waves. In fact I think it helps bring them out.

Anyway, I think this meets your requirements? My hair hates cones and humectants (at least ones that are high up on the ingredient list) too and it loves this stuff.

Here's a linky: http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Curls-Leave-In-Conditioner-Curly/dp/B004OXE1KY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335147062&sr=8-4

ETA: I should note, that since my ends are particularly dry...this stuff only works extremely well if I spritz my ends with water until their damp right before applying this. On dry hair it still works well, but it works best on damp to wet hair for me. Hope that helps!

HintOfMint
April 22nd, 2012, 08:35 PM

I second this! I never thought anything would leave my hair tangle-free and moisturized (without being greasy) until I met mineral oil and found a new best friend hehe. :D Ktani has a great article on mineral oil, the stigma around it makes it seems malignant but I assure you it's not.

I've been meaning to try mineral oil for a while, apparently it's the hot new thing round these here parts :p

I really enjoy Tigi Let it Be leave in conditioner

I usually love Tigi just for their scents (everything smells like candy!) but the ingredients show glycerin and aloe at the top.

I just started using Alaffia's Beautiful Curls leave-in and I think (crossing my fingers!) that it's my Holy Grail leave-in. My hair just drinks this stuff up..and I've never found a leave-in that has moisturized my hair so well without weighing down my waves. In fact I think it helps bring them out.

Anyway, I think this meets your requirements? My hair hates cones and humectants (at least ones that are high up on the ingredient list) too and it loves this stuff.

Here's a linky: http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Curls-Leave-In-Conditioner-Curly/dp/B004OXE1KY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335147062&sr=8-4

ETA: I should note, that since my ends are particularly dry...this stuff only works extremely well if I spritz my ends with water until their damp right before applying this. On dry hair it still works well, but it works best on damp to wet hair for me. Hope that helps!

Bless you for including the link to the ingredients! Yes, it looks perfect, all the ingredients check out, nothing that would bother me.
How is the texture, in your opinion? Is it a bit sticky due to the shea butter, or is it smooth and creamy? I've used Nightblooming Panacea (winter blend), which is a shea butter and oil mixture and I've had a few problems with stickiness.

Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Mrs.Witherup
April 22nd, 2012, 08:45 PM
Have you tried Toadstool's leave in?? I'm not a huge fan of leave ins, I usually just use argan oil as my leave in, but I got some of Toadstool's recently, and it's awesome! I have a natural wave in the back and it doesn't weigh it down too much, it smells wonderful, and I like it on both wet and dry hair!

HintOfMint
April 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM
Have you tried Toadstool's leave in?? I'm not a huge fan of leave ins, I usually just use argan oil as my leave in, but I got some of Toadstool's recently, and it's awesome! I have a natural wave in the back and it doesn't weigh it down too much, it smells wonderful, and I like it on both wet and dry hair!

Thanks but glycerin is the third ingredient, so that's a no-go. Trust me, I would love any excuse to use more of Toadstool's products, her scents are amazing.

earthnut
April 22nd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Oils (olive, grapeseed, jojoba, coconut) tend to be great at not weighing my hair down, but they tend to be too light, and if I add more it turns awful and greasy. Oils for me tend to have a very narrow sweet spot.

Shea butter and shea heavy products like Panacea were great in the winter, but it ended up being way too tacky on my ends for regular use. It's too bad because for a brief glimmering moment I thought I had found my Holy Grail product.

Have you tried adding oil to your hair before washing? Particularly very penetrating oils like coconut and palm kernel are great to use as a pre-washing treatment. Saturate your hair with the oil and leave on for as long as you can stand. Then wash as usual. The nice thing about this is that the amount of oil doesn't need to nearly as exact as when oiling after washing.

amantha
April 22nd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Bless you for including the link to the ingredients! Yes, it looks perfect, all the ingredients check out, nothing that would bother me.
How is the texture, in your opinion? Is it a bit sticky due to the shea butter, or is it smooth and creamy? I've used Nightblooming Panacea (winter blend), which is a shea butter and oil mixture and I've had a few problems with stickiness.

Thank you so much for the recommendation!

It is smooth and creamy....about the consistency of a rinse out conditioner. Sometimes if I overdo it, my hair will look a TINY bit sticky/stringy for a few hours. But once it's totally dry it isn't sticky or stringy looking at all. I do like Nightblooming's winter blend too, but I only use it when I need heavier conditioning due to the stickiness problems you mentioned.

I only need about maybe two dime-sized globs of the Beautiful Curls for my WL hair...so a little goes a long way with this.

I got it from Whole Foods if that helps you in finding it....might save you the shipping costs. :D

Laylah
April 22nd, 2012, 09:55 PM
How about cocoa butter mixed with an oil? Cocoa butter is very hard at room temp so you have to mix it with something to make it usable, but it might help weigh down your hair more without being as sticky as shea butter.

Another idea would be leaving in your regular conditioner, if it fits your requirements.

If you need weight on your hair (to keep it from being puffy?) this is my method: I braid it while damp to compress my hair. It doesn't add weight per say, but it has the same effect in making it less fluffy and more flat (which for some of us is a good thing :)).

sycamoreboutiqu
April 22nd, 2012, 11:23 PM
I have had nice results just using the same Garnier Nutrisse I use as a final conditioning after CO washing with some VO5, Suave or White Rain, then I reapply and leave in a small amount of it.

My hairdresser friend (who I now only meet for lunch as I quit cutting 3 years ago) told me that everybody seems to love it - especially the 20yr olds going for a straight look. Her comment was that it had lots of waxes in it, that is why everybody likes it.

I dont' think she was speaking from knowledge though, I just read the ingredient list and though I can't identify every item the list is mostly different plant oils and some fatty alcohols which moisturize. My hair never feels coated or weighed down even after leaving in a quarters worth. I do squeeze it through the still dripping hair so the amount left in is less than that but it works great.

Lazy Loop
April 23rd, 2012, 12:50 AM
I would love to know the condition of your hair, because if it is damaged (as is mine) I must follow you to your HG.

I am using Baby Oil and loving it. Leave in on wet hair.

HintOfMint
April 23rd, 2012, 03:18 AM
It is smooth and creamy....about the consistency of a rinse out conditioner. Sometimes if I overdo it, my hair will look a TINY bit sticky/stringy for a few hours. But once it's totally dry it isn't sticky or stringy looking at all. I do like Nightblooming's winter blend too, but I only use it when I need heavier conditioning due to the stickiness problems you mentioned.

I only need about maybe two dime-sized globs of the Beautiful Curls for my WL hair...so a little goes a long way with this.

I got it from Whole Foods if that helps you in finding it....might save you the shipping costs. :D

You're a doll and a half, thanks so much!

How about cocoa butter mixed with an oil? Cocoa butter is very hard at room temp so you have to mix it with something to make it usable, but it might help weigh down your hair more without being as sticky as shea butter.

Another idea would be leaving in your regular conditioner, if it fits your requirements.

If you need weight on your hair (to keep it from being puffy?) this is my method: I braid it while damp to compress my hair. It doesn't add weight per say, but it has the same effect in making it less fluffy and more flat (which for some of us is a good thing :)).

I do like to tame the poof, but I do damp buns instead. It's still volume but more controlled, if you know what I mean.

Cocoa butter sounds heavenly! And you say it's not as sticky as shea butter? Or is that only with the oil mixed in it. Regardless, I found a good price for it on Etsy, which is awesome. I hate to pay over 10 dollars for something that's experimental and shipping costs are a pain.

I have had nice results just using the same Garnier Nutrisse I use as a final conditioning after CO washing with some VO5, Suave or White Rain, then I reapply and leave in a small amount of it.

My hairdresser friend (who I now only meet for lunch as I quit cutting 3 years ago) told me that everybody seems to love it - especially the 20yr olds going for a straight look. Her comment was that it had lots of waxes in it, that is why everybody likes it.

I dont' think she was speaking from knowledge though, I just read the ingredient list and though I can't identify every item the list is mostly different plant oils and some fatty alcohols which moisturize. My hair never feels coated or weighed down even after leaving in a quarters worth. I do squeeze it through the still dripping hair so the amount left in is less than that but it works great.

Do you mean Garnier Fructisse? I loved their Triple Nutrition, but alas they changed it to cones. It was my holy grail conditioner too. :(

I would love to know the condition of your hair, because if it is damaged (as is mine) I must follow you to your HG.

I am using Baby Oil and loving it. Leave in on wet hair.

Another vote for baby oil! This looks promising (and economical!)

I don't have much damage, it's just dry and coarse. Still, what works on damaged hair tends to work on my hair.

melusine963
April 23rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
I use it by dipping my index finger in it up to the first knuckle and pulling it out again, which gives me enough for my APL hair. Then I rub it between my palms so it turns white then scrunch into wet hair. It says you can use it on dry hair but I've not tried it. I love this stuff! Hope that helps :flower:
Thank you for the advice. Now I can't wait to try it. :)

Laylah
April 23rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Cocoa butter sounds heavenly! And you say it's not as sticky as shea butter? Or is that only with the oil mixed in it.

Cocoa butter is definitely not sticky. You can't just use it plain though because it's very hard. Plain cocoa butter at room temperature is as hard as a candle, for comparison. So yeah, it has to be mixed with some oil to make it useable. If you want to experiment with it, you can get a smallish amount of pure cocoa butter at CVS and similar stores in stick form in the skin care section. It's just over $1.

sycamoreboutiqu
April 23rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Yes, love this stuff. I use the Sleek and Shine version so I suppose it has some cones but that is ok, I BS clarify weekly anyway so no problem.

Do you mean Garnier Fructisse? I loved their Triple Nutrition, but alas they changed it to cones. It was my holy grail conditioner too. :(