PDA

View Full Version : Split ends are taking over my life

Sheylenna
April 21st, 2012, 08:56 PM
So I searched and found another thread on split ends (Actually I have found several over the last few years) but they are not exactly what I need, while very helpful they do not answer all my questions.

Funny thing is that up until about 3 or 4 years ago I NEVER had split ends. Then I started trying to take care of my hair and grow it long. I stopped blow drying the length though I DO blow dry my bangs or they look weird. I stopped coloring I tried different ways of washing, though none of them worked... seems my hair likes what I have always done because anything else make it worse(except oiling my hair loves that). I stopped Brushing my hair when wet and now only comb it.

I try to sleep in a braid but unfortunately I LIKE my hair straight not braid waved since braid waves don't look nice in my hair.

So my problem recently I have noticed that my split ends are taking over my hair I can spend HOURS trying to trim out the splits and when I FINALLY think I'm done I look down and poof there are MORE!! I spent an hour today before I washed taking them out and they are now back.

And they make my ends tangly and even two minutes after de-tangling with a comb my hair is tangled AGAIN. If I don't slather my ends in conditioner and oil when wet they are even worse.

So any suggestions about how to cut down on them?

CurlySasha
April 21st, 2012, 09:02 PM
Are you sure your scissors are very sharp, and that you are only using them on your hair? If it's getting ridiculous, then it's probably time for a trim.
Do weekly or bi-weekly heavy oilings (you can use EVOO, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil and many others!) heavy condition afterwards and do a light oiling on your hair out of the shower.
Don't use heat, wear protective hairstyles and be very careful when it combs to combing/brushing.
I had to trim my hair today because of split ends, I feel your pain! Good luck :)

Madora
April 21st, 2012, 09:06 PM
Split ends are usually due to two things: mechanical damage and lack of moisture in the hair.

You might find this article by Ktani helpful re: split ends:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

You might also want to read her article on Mineral Oil as a way to keep hair moisturized. Mineral oil helps trap moisture INSIDE the strand.

Ktani's Mineral Oil article:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

HintOfMint
April 21st, 2012, 09:14 PM
Is this the longest your hair has ever been? If your hair hasn't been at this length before, then maybe it's just a matter of getting to a length where you experience more friction and tangles.

Sheylenna
April 21st, 2012, 09:16 PM
Are you sure your scissors are very sharp, and that you are only using them on your hair? If it's getting ridiculous, then it's probably time for a trim.
]

I have several set of scissors 3 for hair and only for hair, the ones I usually use were just sharpened a few months ago but I only use them for hair.

BeckyAH
April 21st, 2012, 09:16 PM
Definitely agree that your scissors could be the culprit, especially if you didn't have split ends before.

I am going to go against the grain a bit, though and add: some people just get split ends. I am one of them. It does not matter if I am treating my hair like that 'old lace' or bleaching and brushing and dying, my hair is shoulder length or waist length - I have split ends.

At this point, I ignore them. I can get away with that, though, because my hair is thick, medium/coarse, and curly.

Since this is new for you, *definitely* look at your scissors and think about more moisture and protective hairstyles.

Sheylenna
April 21st, 2012, 09:19 PM
Is this the longest your hair has ever been? If your hair hasn't been at this length before, then maybe it's just a matter of getting to a length where you experience more friction and tangles.

My hair was longer about 20 years ago never had a problem but then in HS I did not care and still had really nice hair but then again back then I also had NEVER colored or permed or highlighted or anything i even only used hairspray and mousse on very rare occasions. Don't use them much now either.
It was also longer about 2 years ago but colored and bleached the s**t out of it and chopped it to shoulder to fix.

Funny thing is the BACK of my hair that rubs against EVERYTHING is the area where there are the LEAST splits. Its the sides that frame my face that are annoying me.

Sheylenna
April 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM
Split ends are usually due to two things: mechanical damage and lack of moisture in the hair.

You might also want to read her article on Mineral Oil as a way to keep hair moisturized. Mineral oil helps trap moisture INSIDE the strand.

Ktani's Mineral Oil article:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Ok will do.

Sheylenna
April 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
Definitely agree that your scissors could be the culprit, especially if you didn't have split ends before.

I am going to go against the grain a bit, though and add: some people just get split ends. I am one of them. It does not matter if I am treating my hair like that 'old lace' or bleaching and brushing and dying, my hair is shoulder length or waist length - I have split ends.

At this point, I ignore them. I can get away with that, though, because my hair is thick, medium/coarse, and curly.

Since this is new for you, *definitely* look at your scissors and think about more moisture and protective hairstyles.

Except that I haven't done much in the way of trying to get rid of them for several months. But when I do it like they just keep coming and its not the same strands since its the longer strands that seem to keep coming.

BeckyAH
April 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
Worth remembering, too, that the sides of your hair are the bits that get handled most - they go the furthest for updos/get tugged on the most, they get tucked behind your ears, brushed out of your face, stuck in glasses frames, are the hair that headbands are over the top of, etc.

Laylah
April 21st, 2012, 09:28 PM
Is it possible that up until you started paying a lot of attention to you hair and trying to grow it long, you just didn't notice the split ends as much?

Sheylenna
April 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM
Worth remembering, too, that the sides of your hair are the bits that get handled most - they go the furthest for updos/get tugged on the most, they get tucked behind your ears, brushed out of your face, stuck in glasses frames, are the hair that headbands are over the top of, etc.

True oh well I guess I just live with it and start conditioning and Oiling even more today I tried something new....

After washing and conditioning I rinse then conditioned and oiled the length again... leaving it in. I can't oil my hair when dry cause then I want to put too much and it just gets stringy and oily.

Usually I just spray my hair and put oil in my bath water... I'm going to try to sleep with my hair in an updo since I don't like braid waves.

I don't usually do more then pony or braid my hair (sometimes I try new things)

I'll see if that helps.

Sheylenna
April 21st, 2012, 09:36 PM
Is it possible that up until you started paying a lot of attention to you hair and trying to grow it long, you just didn't notice the split ends as much?

Ahh but the thing is I have almost never had my hair less then shoulder length usually it is much longer then that and for some reason my hair catches the light and poof all I see is SPLIT ENDS. Its driving me crazy I tell you crazy.... ^ . ^;

Sheylenna
April 21st, 2012, 09:56 PM

<snip>

Can you use dried or refrigerated Catnip?or must it be fresh? Cause I SUCK with plants....

ravenreed
April 21st, 2012, 10:06 PM
When my hair gets like that it is usually something I am using. Have you done a clarifying wash recently? Also my hair reacts badly to protein. Maybe that is it. I highly recommend catnip rinses. I still get split ends, but a fraction of what I used to.

ETA: I use dried catnip from the pet aisle at the store. I do mine differently from Ktani. I just microwave a tablespoon of catnip in about 2 cups of water. I let it cool, strain it through a coffee filter and use it as a rinse. After I CO, and then do a vinegar rinse, I use that as a final rinse. Sometimes I let it sit for a few minutes and rinse it out, sometimes I use it as a leave in.

Sheylenna
April 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM
When my hair gets like that it is usually something I am using. Have you done a clarifying wash recently? Also my hair reacts badly to protein. Maybe that is it. I highly recommend catnip rinses. I still get split ends, but a fraction of what I used to.

ETA: I use dried catnip from the pet aisle at the store. I do mine differently from Ktani. I just microwave a tablespoon of catnip in about 2 cups of water. I let it cool, strain it through a coffee filter and use it as a rinse. After I CO, and then do a vinegar rinse, I use that as a final rinse. Sometimes I let it sit for a few minutes and rinse it out, sometimes I use it as a leave in.

Ok I will try that... hmmm I have not clarified I think ever I have used clarifying shampoos but that I think is not the same... What would be the best way to clarify I do have ACV. I use it to get rid of the fruit flies that seem to infest my apartment from time to time.

How do you know if something has protein in it?

I have been splitting my washes between Aussie cleanse and mend and pantene pro-v... I was also using Nioxin for a while since my mom did not like it and I HATE wasting shampoos and conditioners.

I tried CO and my hair did not like it I scrubbed and scrubbed and my hair stayed dirty.

luxepiggy
April 21st, 2012, 11:16 PM
How often do you wash your hair? Do you apply shampoo to the entire length or just the scalp?

Also, the Aussie cleanse & mend lists as an ingredient Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, which can sometimes cause cuticle scale lifting that eventually leads to splits. I would suggest stopping use of this product and seeing if the situation improves.

ETA: Sleeping with my hair braided actually caused quite a bit of damage and breakage for me. I find a silk pillow cover is much more effective.

Sheylenna
April 22nd, 2012, 04:07 PM
How often do you wash your hair? Do you apply shampoo to the entire length or just the scalp?

Also, the Aussie cleanse & mend lists as an ingredient Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, which can sometimes cause cuticle scale lifting that eventually leads to splits. I would suggest stopping use of this product and seeing if the situation improves.

ETA: Sleeping with my hair braided actually caused quite a bit of damage and breakage for me. I find a silk pillow cover is much more effective.

I Apply to the scalp then scrub then pull it down the length then wash it out... I try to avoid the length but I never did before so sometimes I forget and scrub the length but then I never had split ends before .... and I've always used conditioner.

I will stop using Aussie cleanse and mend.... Probably go back to Either Pantene or Herbal Essences I like the Clarifying shampoo from herbal essences and I like the the conditioners as well. Pantene just makes my hair sleek and smooth.

As soon and I have the cash I will look into a silk pillow case.... of course the precludes me sleeping on my blanket like I usually end up doing @ night ^ . ^ I know some people put their hair above their heads but I can't do that ... or I can but it doesn't stay I think if my hair was longer.....

I tried sleeping with a bandanna wrapped around my hair last night it seems to have helped.

TheLuckyLurker
April 22nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
I'm afraid I don't have any advice, but I feel your pain.

sfgirl
April 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
As for braid waves, maybe just use a sleep cap if you dont feel too silly. Or do a caterpillar braid with scrunchies because they're gentler. :)

lapushka
April 22nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Are you sure the dye has fully grown out. It takes a long long time for hair to grow out, meanwhile you're stuck with all the old ends. Maybe that's it?

Madora
April 22nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Can you use dried or refrigerated Catnip?or must it be fresh? Cause I SUCK with plants....

You can purchase catnip in petstores per Ktani's catnip article. Apparently (from the article) leaves and flowers catnip yield the best results (on hair that has been clarified first).

You might want to ask those that use catnip if they have any particular brand that works best.

Sheylenna
April 22nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Are you sure the dye has fully grown out. It takes a long long time for hair to grow out, meanwhile you're stuck with all the old ends. Maybe that's it?

Of course it hasn't I was dying it red for a while then bleached the red out then colored close to my natural over the bleach, I'm only since New Years starting to grow it out. But I've done dye and perm and highlights and color and straightening and blowing and more color and more highlights and well you get the picture before .... maybe I need to eat more fruits and veggies.... or vitamins.... oh well.

jeanniet
April 22nd, 2012, 06:05 PM
It was also longer about 2 years ago but colored and bleached the s**t out of it and chopped it to shoulder to fix.

This may be the problem; if you cut back to shoulder, the hair above shoulder was still probably somewhat damaged but not too much. Now that hair is longer and the damage is more pronounced, so you're getting more splits. You might want to do monthly microtrims for a while to see if that helps. Wearing your hair up will make a big difference in damage, too. I like to wear my hair down, but I only do it at home when I'm not doing anything where it might get caught or otherwise damaged.

Pierre
April 22nd, 2012, 07:05 PM
Maybe you could wear a Buff to sleep, but instead of leaving your hair up, you wrap it around your head. That should keep it unwavy and still protect it.

Sheylenna
April 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
This may be the problem; if you cut back to shoulder, the hair above shoulder was still probably somewhat damaged but not too much. Now that hair is longer and the damage is more pronounced, so you're getting more splits. You might want to do monthly microtrims for a while to see if that helps. Wearing your hair up will make a big difference in damage, too. I like to wear my hair down, but I only do it at home when I'm not doing anything where it might get caught or otherwise damaged.

Well that was mostly cut off but like I was saying even that hair that I cut 2 years ago was not split ended it was frizzy and I hate frizzy... I do have some good advice as it started getting these splits more after I started using the Aussie shampoo and conditioner It is probably that. Cause I stopped using it then started again I I was not bothered as much when i had stopped now that I'm thinking about it. Funny how a shampoo called Cleanse and MEND doesn't

BeckyAH
April 22nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
The thing you are missing is that the hair you damaged 2 years ago, but wasn't split then, has now been subjected to the same damage but is two years older. It's going to be in worse shape. Because it's not just dyed, bleached and permed.

It's dyed, bleached, permed, and OLD.

Mesmerise
April 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM

Well yeah, my thought exactly!

Of course it hasn't I was dying it red for a while then bleached the red out then colored close to my natural over the bleach, I'm only since New Years starting to grow it out. But I've done dye and perm and highlights and color and straightening and blowing and more color and more highlights and well you get the picture before .... maybe I need to eat more fruits and veggies.... or vitamins.... oh well.

Here's the thing... your hair is REALLY damaged from this previous treatment. It was dyed and then bleached and then dyed again, the ends you have now are a product of this! I can understand that you've treated your hair similarly before and not had the same problem, but I can only suggest that something you did (perhaps the bleaching to get rid of old dye) was the straw that broke the camel's back! (I have had hair permed, straightened and dyed... and I NEVER saw the splitting and damage that I did after bleach... seriously).

My suggestion is to be patient! When your hair has grown out, you'll lose the splits. In the meantime, all I can suggest is to keep treating your hair gently, and trim regularly. Once the damage has been done, it's done... all you can do is minimise to prevent more damage occurring. Some people find that protein treatments can be helpful in badly damaged hair, but nothing is actually going to permanently fix the hair that splits.

I also agree that eating a healthy diet will help your hair, but again, it's only going to help your new hair. It can't fix the hair you've already got!

Centaur
April 22nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
Ugh. I've been getting a lot of those little white dots that are the beginning of split ends. I bought some scissors from Sally's Beauty Supply and having been doing a lot of S & D this weekend.

PolarCathy
April 22nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
The few splits I find on myself are either in my underlayers around my nape or around my ears where I have 3a/3b hair. It seems like that hair is behaving very differently from the rest. I try to be more gentle to those parts but no matter what I do I seem to be getting splits around my face (ears) even though it's max collarbone length there. So I S&D there all the time. But maybe it's just because I pay more attention now, really. Maybe you are, too, no?

Sheylenna
April 22nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
The few splits I find on myself are either in my underlayers around my nape or around my ears where I have 3a/3b hair. It seems like that hair is behaving very differently from the rest. I try to be more gentle to those parts but no matter what I do I seem to be getting splits around my face (ears) even though it's max collarbone length there. So I S&D there all the time. But maybe it's just because I pay more attention now, really. Maybe you are, too, no?

Could be i just didn't care before... Could be the bleach //// could be a combo of it all and I am getting older could be that too... so I will take suggestions to heart and work on it.

luxepiggy
April 22nd, 2012, 11:36 PM
I Apply to the scalp then scrub then pull it down the length then wash it out... I try to avoid the length but I never did before so sometimes I forget and scrub the length but then I never had split ends before .... and I've always used conditioner.

I will stop using Aussie cleanse and mend.... Probably go back to Either Pantene or Herbal Essences I like the Clarifying shampoo from herbal essences and I like the the conditioners as well. Pantene just makes my hair sleek and smooth.

Definitely, definitely try your best to remember not to shampoo your ends, and certainly avoid scrubbing at all costs! Fiber-on-fiber friction during shampooing is one of the major causes of hair damage! ( ' (oo) ' )

Also, you might be a good candidate for CWC - basically you apply conditioner to the length/ends first, then shampoo above the nape, rinse it all out and condition the way you normally do. It would help protect the damaged ends from the aforementioned shampooing-related mechanical damage.

Finally, I would highly, highly recommend getting yourself a conditioner that contains amodimethicone or bis-aminopropyl dimethicone, and tossing any conditioner that contains Quaternium-anything. Among the drugstore conditioners, I like Pantene Ice Shine and L'Or&#233;al Nutri Gloss for Damaged Hair (don't get the one for fine hair).

As soon and I have the cash I will look into a silk pillow case.... of course the precludes me sleeping on my blanket like I usually end up doing @ night ^ . ^ I know some people put their hair above their heads but I can't do that ... or I can but it doesn't stay I think if my hair was longer.....

I tried sleeping with a bandanna wrapped around my hair last night it seems to have helped.

Putting my hair above my head would almost certainly result in a tangled mess around my head in morning :p When I sleep I direct my hair to the side, with the ends hanging over the edge of the mattress on "my" side of the bed. That way gravity works in favour of my hair staying put (^(oo)^)v

sycamoreboutiqu
April 23rd, 2012, 12:02 AM
I am wondering if what you are seeing are truly splits, or possibly just shorter, newer hairs making their way down. Flyaways (hair sticking out from main part) can be just that.

Try looking at the strands through a magnifier and see if you are truly seeing splits on the ends.

For nightime - I often do a rope braid for sleep so I don't have braid waves but smoother, more spiral waves. I do it loose too so there is no tension on the strands. I find it easier to pony up high with a silky scrunchie (it won't hold but it is just temporary) then twist the two sections and then twist them around each other - then I slide the scrunchie down to wrap around the tail. This keeps the braid high enough to comfortably sleep (I throw it over the pillow) but loose enough to be very comfortable. I also use a silk pillowcase and that helps a lot.

Sheylenna
April 23rd, 2012, 06:04 PM
Definitely, definitely try your best to remember not to shampoo your ends, and certainly avoid scrubbing at all costs! Fiber-on-fiber friction during shampooing is one of the major causes of hair damage! ( ' (oo) ' )

Also, you might be a good candidate for CWC - basically you apply conditioner to the length/ends first, then shampoo above the nape, rinse it all out and condition the way you normally do. It would help protect the damaged ends from the aforementioned shampooing-related mechanical damage.

Finally, I would highly, highly recommend getting yourself a conditioner that contains amodimethicone or bis-aminopropyl dimethicone, and tossing any conditioner that contains Quaternium-anything. Among the drugstore conditioners, I like Pantene Ice Shine and L'Oréal Nutri Gloss for Damaged Hair (don't get the one for fine hair).

Putting my hair above my head would almost certainly result in a tangled mess around my head in morning :p When I sleep I direct my hair to the side, with the ends hanging over the edge of the mattress on "my" side of the bed. That way gravity works in favour of my hair staying put (^(oo)^)v

Thank you for your suggestions. If I had hair as long as yours I strangle my self while sleeping if I put it over the side edge of the bed cause I move A LOT at night. I fall asleep on my back and wake up on my side. And As I sleep alone (no SO on my part) I don't HAVE a side of the bed I have the whole bed ^ . ^

Sheylenna
April 23rd, 2012, 06:09 PM
I am wondering if what you are seeing are truly splits, or possibly just shorter, newer hairs making their way down. Flyaways (hair sticking out from main part) can be just that.

Try looking at the strands through a magnifier and see if you are truly seeing splits on the ends.

<SNIPAGE>

Well as my ends have pieces branching off of them like a little tree I think that is split ends..... its not hair strands sticking out or short fluffy pieces though I do have that I try not to trim them its... well if you look @ this pic I have a-e and maybe f....http://blacknaturalhaircare.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/split_ends.gif

luxepiggy
April 24th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. If I had hair as long as yours I strangle my self while sleeping if I put it over the side edge of the bed cause I move A LOT at night. I fall asleep on my back and wake up on my side. And As I sleep alone (no SO on my part) I don't HAVE a side of the bed I have the whole bed ^ . ^

Ah. That could be problematic :p Perhaps a silk sleep cap would be a better option for you (^(oo)^)v

Bedhead
April 24th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Do you stay on the same pillow with all that movement? I would second the sleep cap, but if you're not a fan of things on your head when you sleep, then a silky pillow case can make a big difference.

Sheylenna
April 24th, 2012, 09:57 PM
As for braid waves, maybe just use a sleep cap if you dont feel too silly. Or do a caterpillar braid with scrunchies because they're gentler. :)

I can try if I can fall asleep with it where would I buy one?