PDA

View Full Version : Increasing the Wave

tanpopokitty
April 21st, 2012, 07:37 PM
Hey guys,

So after joining this forum and cutting out the poo, using oil, and only finger combing.. I've noticed I have pretty wavy hair! :o Before I thought it was straight with just some annoying flips that I would get out with a straightener. :p

Anyways, I guess my question is.. how can I increase the wave?! What have you guys noticed really amps up your wave? So far I've noticed that leaving my hair alone while it's wet REALLY makes a difference.

julliams
April 21st, 2012, 07:48 PM
Yes leaving it alone stops extra frizz so that is a really good tip. I have found that less is more. Just find a good leave-in that you like (I use Giovanni Direct Leave-in conditioner) without silicones and scrunch it in. Even a clear gel will work fine.

I find if I put my hair up in a towel for about 5 minutes, take it down and then comb through, put in a leave-in and use my wet towel to scrunch my hair up to the nape of my neck and then let it down. Repeat all the way around and then just leave it. You will be tempted to keep checking it in the mirror. Try not to put your hands in it during the drying process because it will get frizzy. It won't look it's best until it's totally dry - I don't know why this is, but it is.

On the second and third day, I actually just brush my hair and wear it straighter. Or you can just wet your hands and scrunch the wave back in there if you want the Day 1 look. Having wavy hair to me means getting the best of both worlds.

Shampoos and conditioners with alot of silicones in them take my wave out after repeated use. When I was using Kerastase I actually thought my hair had gone straight and I was a little sad about that. Dove does it to me as well. All you have to do is use a clarifying shampoo and your wavies will be back right away.

If you follow the Curly Girl method and Condition Only wash, this can bring out more curls. I found that it made my hair a little lank and it wasn't good for my scalp so I shampoo and condition as normal and then do what I've said above.

Enjoy your new hair!

manderly
April 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM
Add moisture (leave in conditioner), subtract combing :)

You can also try scrunching when wet, adding some gel for hold, and no touching.

amanda_the_tall
April 21st, 2012, 08:22 PM
ooh! i was curious about this as well!
would any of you wavier ladies like to share what conditioners/ shampoos worked with bringing out your waves? *sorry for hijacking!* :flower:

Naiadryade
April 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM
I'm interested in this question too! But for me, it's with an "all natural" clause, so if anyone has tips in that realm, I'd love to hear it.

My hair has a certain level of wave that won't go away no matter how much I brush. It has many more little waves unbrushed--though it often looks kind of lank and messy until I at least comb... which takes away some of the waves. Is there a way to keep the extra waves through the combing, or to make my uncombed hair look fuller and smoother? :laugh: