PDA

View Full Version : My first 'hair stick' bun!

afu
April 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM
I've never really been into hair toys (unless you count a plain bobble and a sock!) and never tried buns held by sticks because most sticks i see are too long for my liking and i thought they would look silly on me.

However, today i was going though my knitting stuff and found an odd short needle which seems to be the last remaining of a set for knitting in the round. i thought, that looks a good length. so i looked up some simple buns and tried one out. i honestly didn't expect it to work (nevermind for me to like it!).

But, it did work! and i did like it! i was so surprised at how firmly it holds up - i somehow always thought buns held with sticks wouldn't be very secure. The needle i used is prob about a 4mm and 4 inches in length - i used it horizontally through a gibraltar bun and it's the perfect size.

Yay to another LHC discovery, hehe. Now the trusty sock bun has some competition.

What sort of lengths of stick do you guys tend to use? and do you find them to be important in reducing damage?

longNred
April 21st, 2012, 06:35 PM
I just started using sticks as well. I used to just use an elastic, but that method has been wreaking havoc on my hair. I am FAR from being any type of bun master, I really can't seem to manage any of the specific named ones, I simply twist it up and stick it. I was also really surprised how well it held up! I remember using sticks in high school, but fell out of the habit over the many years since then and now I don't have any real hair sticks, so I had my husband cut down a few chopsticks and stain them for me. They're about 6 inches and work well.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/Henna/bun.jpg

PrincessIdril
April 21st, 2012, 06:39 PM
I've just started using them too. I brought a set years ago but never used them as I couldn't figure out the vague instructions on the packaging.
However years later I discovered a video tutorial on how to do them and dug out my sticks and like you was supurised at how well they hold. My sticks (I have to use two sticks as I;m still getting the hang of them!) are just over 7inches long :)

caiti42
April 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM
Congrats!

It is fun playing with new hair toys!

shutterpillar
April 21st, 2012, 07:21 PM
Congratulations! I find that I like my hair sticks around 5 inches long. I definitely think they are far less damaging than elastic bands. Not nearly as much tugging and pulling going on.

afu
April 22nd, 2012, 04:20 AM
thanks everyone, it's nice to see i'm not the only one new to the hair stick :) i browsed online for a 'proper' hairstick a little last night but didn't find anything as short as i like. I'll see if i actually end up using stick buns regularly and then maybe look again properly

Mina17
April 22nd, 2012, 04:26 AM
Maybe we'll see you soon in the Hairtoy Addicts thread:D. I love sticks, they are so quick and easy to use to put your hair up once you get the hang of it. I find they are secure enough to wear to work and I have a pretty physical job. I mostly use 5"-5.5" sticks.

whitedove
April 22nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Look on Esty, you can chat to the crafters and ask for a length you want :) Warning: you may not get off the site for a few hours.

Mina17
April 22nd, 2012, 04:33 AM
I just remembered...Outnumberednovelties on etsy has some sticks made out of exotic woods that are around 4" http://www.etsy.com/shop/OutNumberedNovelties?section_id=6397747 ;).

afu
April 22nd, 2012, 05:47 AM
ooh thank you, i can't really afford to be spending anything on my hair at the moment but i'll definitly head to etsy when i can :)