PDA

View Full Version : Matting hair

dragonmyst
April 21st, 2012, 02:23 PM
Hi folks!
I could use a few suggestions for a bit of a problem I am having. My hair, at last check is between waist and hip, I bleach then henna it, and have been doing a CWC which has kept my hair nice and soft and me a happy dragon. Then, in feb, we moved and things got nuts.My hair sticks vanished, my hairclips got busted my hair wound up in a braid or pony tail instead of my typical bun.

And it started matting. I'd brush it out and it would go to matting within min of being brushed/combed through. and it feels dryer than before.

We moved from OK to PA (USA) and we are in an area of higher humidity (I believe) and possibly water issues.I never paid attention much to it before.

Last night I washed with baby shampoo, the entire length, before doing the conditioning which I let sit for longer than usual, which has made it super soft. and it didn't mat as I slept. I was considering doing a acv rinse, but I also have henna I want to use (I swear it is screaming my name!) soon but I don't know if that will make the matting issue worse. Is there any other things I could try to help my hair get used to my new climate? I was threatening to cut it all off a couple days ago because of how frustrated I am.

Alva
April 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM
It could be that the water is different, could be also that you simply need a new routine if your hair is changing cuz of the climate. Then it migth be worth looking into some other products, like a new journey to find what works. If it is the water I am not sure what you can do, I thought there are some sort of filters for making water softer or so.. but I am not sure where to find those etc. maybe someone else knows. My hair also matted for a while but in my case it was the length. Always when I come to a certain length it started that, mainly when it was between 28-30 inches. Luckily I passed that stage again and it has completely disappeared. So that is a possibility too. Hope you find a solution soon and don't cut! It is beautiful :)

Madora
April 21st, 2012, 02:57 PM
If the water is the culprit, then you might want to look into attaching a water softener thingie to your shower head to help combat the hardness.

You can purchase a water testing kit at gardening outlets, or places like Home Depot.

Also, be sure and confine your hair at night so you don't end up with tangles or mats in the morning.

fridgee
April 21st, 2012, 04:09 PM
Do you oil at all? That might help prevent tangles and also help with the humidity. Mineral oil is great for restoring moisture and slip to hair if it needs it. :flower: I hope you find something that helps, it's very frustrating to have to restart the whole process of finding a routine that works for you when you already had one that was working well.

katsrevenge
April 21st, 2012, 04:17 PM
PA tends to have hard water. You'll need to clarify regularly.. or at least I do!

Use a good oil. Mineral oil is good for keeping your hair slippy but doesn't put moisture in. Olive, coconut or shea stuff is best for that.

afu
April 21st, 2012, 04:26 PM
I find that while my hair behaves very well at home, but it gets dry and tangles easily when i stay with my SO 3 nights per week (i travel between my current university and his [my former] university on a weekly basis). I think it's because his house is really damp, it's the only difference i can think of because it even happens if i don't wash my hair there. CO and coconut oil helps, but i get more tangling at the top my my head still where i can't put the coconut oil. I get this even if i keep hair up. I'd be interested to see what works for you. good luck :)

dragonmyst
April 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Oh thank you so much for your comments and suggestions, I really appreciate them. I think the problem,in part, was buildup. I just managed to comb through it with no mats after washing it last night and tossing it up in a bun first thing this morning (kids woke up insanely early and I didn't have time to comb through it)

Alva - that is very interesting, I wonder if the length is contributing to the problem. I have had issues in the past when my hair was about this long with it matting. Food for thought. And thank you, I figured if I post here then skim through long haired pics I'll remember my long term goal and work to get through this hair-hiccup instead of just hacking it all off.

Madora you are correct, I should be sleeping with my hair braided/confined. It is a habit I am struggling with. there is a home depot right up the road, I'll go see about a water testing kit. Thank you :)

fridgee - I was oiling, but it has been a while, the move was brutal and I really got off track.

thanks again folks, so very much.

EDITED cause I took so long writing the reply other posted;

Katsrevenge: I realy think clarifying was the issue in this case, I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks. :)

Afu: Interesting, I'll keep that in mind. I'm really not sure what the actual humidity difference is.