PDA

View Full Version : What did I create?! (picture of my FIRST hair stick bun!)

shutterpillar
April 21st, 2012, 12:23 PM
I was trying for the Nautilus bun, and I ended up with this. LOL. It looks kinda like a mix between an infinity and a nautilus, but I have no idea what I have done.

Anyway... this is my first bun. :D I am crazy excited about it, and I cant wait to get cooler sticks. I am loving them!

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad351/ashmey86/Hair/Picture025-2.jpg

fridgee
April 21st, 2012, 12:32 PM
I don't know what bun that is but it looks great! I love the colour of your stick with your hair. And yay for first hairstick bun! :cheese:

shutterpillar
April 21st, 2012, 12:37 PM
Thank you, Fridgee! That color will be gone by tomorrow though. I am (reluctantly) dying it back to my natural color, which is an ashy brown, so it wont look as funky while I am growing out my virgin hair. But that stick looks nice with my natural color too, so woots all around. :)

Wavelength
April 21st, 2012, 12:38 PM
I have no idea what you did there, but it looks pretty good! :)

ETA: Looks like you pulled a loop of hair out through the middle? Maybe?

shutterpillar
April 21st, 2012, 12:41 PM
Well... this is really hard to explain. LOL. But what I did was, I wrapped my hair around my hand like I was going for the nautilus, then I twisted it and wrapped my remaining hair around the bun. Then while the bun was still wrapped around my hand, I inserted the stick through the bun, under it, and back out over top of the other side. I have no idea how that loop of hair got there! LOL. Noooo idea what I did, but I dig it. ;)

BrightEyes
April 21st, 2012, 12:44 PM
Oh, your bun is so pretty! I like that hairstick too:)

Hollyfire3
April 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
It almost looks like a modified orchid bun, it sure is cool, whatever it is! How long is your hair? I want to do this!

Carrie Ingalls
April 21st, 2012, 02:27 PM
It looks lovely! From time to time I put my hair up in some inexplicable way and it just works...then I tell my self to enjoy it because I might not be able to recreate it. :)

rock007junkie
April 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
No idea but it looks great. Love the hair color btw

jacqueline101
April 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM
I don't know what its called but its cute.

Kwantslonghair
April 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Like Bob Ross the painter said. There are no mistakes. Just happy little accidents..you started to create one style and created a new one... Now you just have to give it a name.:)

shutterpillar
April 21st, 2012, 06:24 PM
It almost looks like a modified orchid bun, it sure is cool, whatever it is! How long is your hair? I want to do this!

Thanks! My hair is about an inch beyond APL. :)

shutterpillar
April 21st, 2012, 06:26 PM
And thank you everyone else for the compliments. :D Maybe I will do a little video tutorial for it soon. It is sooo much easier to show you how I managed it than to try to explain it.

longNred
April 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM
pretty bun... and LOVELY hair color!

shutterpillar
April 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM
Thank you, longNred. :) I like the color, but since I aim for completely virgin hair, the color is going to need to go tomorrow morning. I am dying back to my natural color. This red was my last hurrah before vowing to be completely dye-free for the remainder of my hair growing years. Now I just hope I can let myself age gracefully without feeling the pressure to cover my grays (which I already have quite a few of).

Hollyfire3
April 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks! My hair is about an inch beyond APL. :)

Oh...mine is just a bit longer than that so in theory, I SHOULD be able to attempt this...but I can hardly get the cinnabun to go around once, let alone all the twisting and wraping you did here, I think I might need more length, weird. I really like the bun though but it looks like I'm gonna have to wait...:(

MoonlightShadow
April 21st, 2012, 08:53 PM
....I am jealous of your invention o.o

SoulOfTheSea
April 22nd, 2012, 12:37 AM
That is called the pencil bun right on the money! It's my favorite bun to do by the way, much easier than a Nautilus. :)

ETA: Here's the tutorial! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34

Her hair is shorter, so she didn't have to wrap the rest of her hair around the loop, but that's what I do and what you did as well! Lucky you are clever to discover that bun on your own! :flower:

shutterpillar
April 22nd, 2012, 08:04 AM
Thank you SO MUCH Soulofthesea! I'm so glad I can put a name to it now!

spidermom
April 22nd, 2012, 08:08 AM
You've got a winner!

lapushka
April 22nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Nice bun, shutterpillar! Love it! :) Here's to more lovely creations in the future!

bunzfan
April 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Love the updo:thumbsup: it looks very similar to a nautilus.

SoulOfTheSea
April 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Thank you SO MUCH Soulofthesea! I'm so glad I can put a name to it now!

You're welcome! :cheese:

torrilin
April 23rd, 2012, 12:11 PM
Oh...mine is just a bit longer than that so in theory, I SHOULD be able to attempt this...but I can hardly get the cinnabun to go around once, let alone all the twisting and wraping you did here, I think I might need more length, weird. I really like the bun though but it looks like I'm gonna have to wait...:(

Why is this weird? The OP is a ii, and from the picture on the thinner end of ii. You're a iii, so you have at least 4x as much actual hair as her, thanks to the marvels of circles and their area math.

Thicker hair pretty much always takes longer to do a given hair style than thinner.

melusine963
April 23rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
I like that bun, but sadly my hair is too long to try it so I'll have to stick with a nautillus.

shutterpillar
April 23rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Why is this weird? The OP is a ii, and from the picture on the thinner end of ii. You're a iii, so you have at least 4x as much actual hair as her, thanks to the marvels of circles and their area math.

Thicker hair pretty much always takes longer to do a given hair style than thinner.

Yes, my ponytail circumference is but a mere 2.5 inches around. :) Hoping to bump that up to 3 inches though, as my layers grow out. Heres to hoping. lol.

Springpaw
April 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Ooo that looks pretty! :)

I look forward to being able to do buns with hair sticks myself since my hair is too short :( But until then I'll just look at all your beautiful updos.