PDA

View Full Version : Cocoa butter?

MagicalMystery
April 21st, 2012, 01:11 AM
Hey everyone,

Has anyone else tried using cocoa butter in their hair? I occasionally melt some and smooth it through my hair while wet... Makes it so soft and it smells like chocolate! Anyone else do this? I never hear cocoa butter mentioned in hair care. I was curious of the benefits.

SilverDoe
April 21st, 2012, 02:23 AM
I do this in the summer, when the elements & salt water is rough on my hair. I also mix it with shea butter when I have it. :inlove:

WickedWurlys
April 21st, 2012, 02:43 AM
Yup, I have a mixture that is cocoa butter & jojoba oil. I really love the smell and feel of it, although I'm careful w/the butters cuz they can build up.

sarahbrownie
April 21st, 2012, 03:36 AM
I used it once in my henna mix to add some moisture, it was inspired by Lush's Caca Rouge henna. I think it helped make it less drying afterwards.

Correa
April 21st, 2012, 03:47 AM
I don't use it, but my husband does. It helps with his dandruff, works better than mouse at keeping his curls looking nice and just smells great.

I'm such a bad (good?) influence on him. lol

MagicalMystery
April 21st, 2012, 08:44 PM
It seems to keep my curls well defined. Might be equivalent to the effect of a pomade for me.

MoonlightShadow
April 21st, 2012, 08:56 PM
I've never tried it but I have 2 jars of cocoa butter and I'm tempted now

long&blonde
April 21st, 2012, 09:00 PM
I want to try it now too!

WickedWurlys
April 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM
Smells awesome, I always wanna eat it!

Laylah
April 21st, 2012, 09:30 PM
It's very hard at room temp, so I melted mine and mixed it 50/50 with coconut oil. It works great. Nothing special beyond the usual soft/shiny, I think I use it more for that wonderful smell :)

MagicalMystery
April 21st, 2012, 09:30 PM
Just make sure you use a drop of it, as you would with pomade. I even comb it into my son's hair.

And yes, it does smell edible. :)

fayeelizibeth
June 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I was just wondering about this! I bought some Queen Helene cocoa butter today at the family dollar and was wondering what else I could use it on besides dry elbows! :p

CurlyCap
June 6th, 2012, 06:29 PM
A few of the ladies on the Kinky 4s thread do. You might want to read through their.

I've never used cocao because I haven't found a place to buy it pure. But I use shea whenever I need a heavy oil. No problem.

fayeelizibeth
June 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Does anyone think it would work as a pre-swimming oil?

lundmir
June 6th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I only use it for skin, I prefer coconut oil on my hair.

jillosity
June 6th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Lush's Jungle solid conditioner was mostly cocoa butter (if they still make it, that is!) It was easy to overdo it, but combined with their Reincanate solid shampoo, an ACV rinse and a light swipe, my then-virgin hair was happy.

Natalia
June 6th, 2012, 10:27 PM
ive done this but my hair prefers to be oiled when dry unless its with monoi. i love how light cocoa butter is and that it doesnt get gunky nasty when left in on a regular basis on my wo hair.

braidgirl22
June 9th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I use it when my hair feels dry like if I over did my coconut oil and don't feel like jumping back in the shower but it sometimes makes my hair knott up more and makes it not feel as clean.I try to use very little to avoid that.

akilina
June 9th, 2012, 12:30 AM
I love it on my skin but not sure about hair. I'll have to try it. My mom has every oil imaginable because she makes soap. Lucky for her oil obsessed daughter...
I love shea butter for my hair though a lot.