PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep long hair with an oblong face?

vampyredolly
April 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty sure my face is oblong after being told for years it was oval. I can't figure out how to part my hair or how to style it while straight.

I want to take extra care of my hair for the next month or so. No heat, keeping it natural/bedhead waves or straight. I love center parting but it looks awful when straight but ok with curls/waves.

I try to part it off center but it lays weird. I'm not sure how to style it correctly so I won't have to use several pins to keep it there and lose volume.

How would you style it w/o a fringe?

Am I just doomed for a fringe (cowlicks galore~) haha?

http://oi39.tinypic.com/17v6za.jpg

dulce
April 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM
You have beautiful features,I wouldn't worry about face shape,in my opinion,you look great as is.

kdaniels8811
April 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I second that, you look great. No worries about changing your part.

lacefrost
April 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
What dulce said. Honestly, you're pretty and your hair is pretty. You can get away with anything.

KiwiBum
April 20th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Hmmm... I don't know if I can offer much help as far as hair parting goes as I have the opposite problem - my hair looks better parted in the middle than on the side. Based on your picture I think your hair looks really good like that! Your face also looks more oval than oblong to me! I'd say keep doing what you're doing with it, it doesn't look bad at all. As far as volume goes, keeping it natural/no heat styling is a good start - that worked better for me than any products I tried that promised volume/thicker hair (and I tried a LOT). Your hair will be healthier and easier to style also.

I have an oblong face, and since it's fine hair, side-parts make it look like I don't have enough hair on one side and it looks like I have a receding hairline haha.

afu
April 20th, 2012, 06:02 PM
again, i think it looks lovely how it is. I LOVE your colour :) if i wasn't trying to get into surgical nursing id defo try out a bold colour

Knotted
April 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM
You are gorgeous and I love your hair colour! Your part in the picture looks great, but I think you wouldn't have a problem with way you style your hair.

koala
April 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I think it looks fine! You have enough width in your face and nice features, so it works. If you want to make your face look shorter, rather than changing your hair, you could try shaping your eyebrows into a more flat shape. That tends to be more flattering on oblong faces.

shutterpillar
April 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I think it looks just fine how you have it in the picture above.

MaryRose
April 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM
You are gorgeous and your hair looks great. I think your face is also oval which is probably why everyone including myself thinks your face and hair work well the way it is. Oval faces can pull off all hair styles including long hair.

Amber_Maiden
April 20th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Both you and your hair are beautiful- don't pay attention to haters.

Narya
April 20th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I agree with everybody: your hair looks great (and you're really pretty)!

DMARTINEZ
April 20th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I have an oblong face and could really care less if it works or not,I WANT long hair,period! ;)

Deb

spookyghost
April 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM
You are just beautiful! I wish I had such striking features and gorgous hair!:)

buttercupmcgee
April 20th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I am stunned by your unbelievably awesome COLOR!

As others have said, your face shape is great and you are super cute as is.

But that's not what you asked, is it? :-) To answer your question about long hair with long faces, I also have a longish face, and I've found that layers really help add some lift and width...I can't tell from this one picture, but do you have layers? Would you be open to them? I find having a few that graze my collar bone gives me the best of both worlds--long hair with volume, width, and face-balancing effects.

SoulOfTheSea
April 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I have an oval face as well, and have always been told it's long. I "fixed" that problem for 4 years with a blunt fringe, but I finally decided to grow them out because I was tired of having to straighten them everyday (Woes of a wavy-haired girl!). Anyways, they have grown out to about 1.5 in. past my chin, and I like to side part them, or unevenly part them depending on my mood, but I find that this long fringe has helped the most! :-)

holothuroidea
April 20th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I do think your face is oblong. You are very beautiful and your proportions are very aesthetically pleasing.

I think long hair suits longer face shapes, especially like yours where the line of the cheek is high, because the proportions are more balanced.

As far as fringe, a longer or side-swept fringe would probably give the illusion of a more oval face but I don't know why you would want that, as everything looks good the way it is- no illusions required. :)

I think your hair suits you just the way it is.

Dragon Faery
April 20th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I agree--you look gorgeous, and your hair color is awesome.
Opinionwise, it might be helpful to post pics with your hair parted other ways, if you really want some helpful feedback. It looks so good the way you have it, that it's hard to imagine it any other way.

If you don't want to actually cut a fringe, you could fake a sideswept one by parting your front hair way to one side and sweeping it down over your forehead to tuck behind the opposite ear. If I were more adept at this phone thing, maybe I could illustrate it with pictures, but I can't. :p hopefully that makes a bit of sense.

But again, you're beautiful as-is!

ladylowtide
April 20th, 2012, 09:34 PM
You look so beautiful! Don't change a thing. I actually think the darkness of your eyebrows and your eyes balance out your face nicely. I think as long as you don't thin your eyebrows too much you are fine.

earthdancer
April 20th, 2012, 09:37 PM
You are soooo beautiful! Anyone who thinks your face is long must come from a part of the country like mine, where it's mostly people of German ancestry and they generally have very round or square faces, so I was always told that my face was freakishly long (English ancestry) until I went to England, and then I realized that my face wasn't really long at all! Many English people have very narrow faces, much narrower than yours or mine.

You are fabulously beautiful - movie-star beautiful - so don't let anyone make you feel less. They are probably very jealous. By the way, when I travel, men flirt with me enormously, even in front of my husband (I'm not as pretty as you are, but it makes me feel gorgeous, and makes me realize that not everyone is as judgmental as the people in one's home town).;)

invisiblebabe
April 20th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I agree your face is oblong shaped. You (and your face shape) look great with that hairstyle!

Just for fun, I would be curious how sideswept bangs would look on you, too. You could fake them without scissors, here is one tutorial (http://www.taaz.com/trends/hair/how_to/how-to-make-fake-side-bangs/83IL4VkGxv1N619FbR9WJvvgDRVEx1oT.html) on how to do it :)

McFearless
April 20th, 2012, 09:52 PM
You have a zig-zag parting in that picture and it looks really good! I wouldn't worry about it. The colour is very nice too.

PurplePenguin
April 20th, 2012, 09:55 PM
You are beautiful and so is your hair, I wouldn't change a thing really.

HintOfMint
April 20th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Whatever face shape you have, I wouldn't split hairs about oval or oblong. It's a gorgeous face and whatever parting you have used before and liked will surely be just as nice now.

That being said, off center partings tend to be the most flattering in general.

carolinaberry
April 21st, 2012, 02:28 AM
You are stunning. And that hair color is awesome with your coloring. Also, I agree with the other comments...your face shape is not at odds with your hair!

Roscata
April 21st, 2012, 02:45 AM
I want to echo what others have said (about you being pretty) and add that beauty is in individuality not in being standard, for example trying to fit into a different face shape.

That being said you can fake side swept bangs easily with long hair. Just google "fake side swept bangs" and you'll get plenty of how to's. Good luck! :)

MissAlida
April 21st, 2012, 02:49 AM
You look very nice. You might try to do a zigzag part in the middle. It's just a tought. It might do the trick. Great colour by the way.;)

Aimskylove
April 21st, 2012, 03:42 AM
I agree with everyone else! Dont change a thing! Love the color!

Kwantslonghair
April 21st, 2012, 04:57 AM
I think it looks great the way it is. You and your hair are beautiful.

Nev
April 21st, 2012, 06:20 AM
your hair color is so gorgeous!!! I have an oblong face shape too, so I always have side swept bangs and face framing layers. I think your hairstyle fits you, especially since you already have layers.

summergreen
April 21st, 2012, 07:43 AM
i think you look just fine, and your hair as it is in the pic really suits your face shape.

I don't think a fringe would be as flattering as the style you have now - your face is really well balanced and proportioned, and I think a fringe might throw that off a bit. if you do want a change though (I don't think you need one!), I think some face framing layers/graduation would look great.