PDA

View Full Version : Paul Mitchell Tea Tree drying

Jasonc126
April 20th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I noticed that when I use the paul mitchell tea tree it dries out my hands. Is that a bad thing or a good thing? It seems like it's the only thing that works on my seborrhea dermatitis.

RitaPG
April 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Tea tree tends to be a little drying in the long run, but if it works on your scalp that's good, though, so I wouldn't stop using it. Just use a hand lotion as soon as you get out of the shower to restore moisture, that should do the trick :)

Jasonc126
April 20th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Or could you use lates gloves to protect your hands while your shampooing?

RitaPG
April 20th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I'm sorry, lates gloves? Do you mean Latex gloves? I wouldn't advise you to do that, it would probably pull your hair a lot and make it harder to wash. Not to mention the breakage.

Jasonc126
April 20th, 2012, 01:28 PM
What kind of gloves would you recommend then?

RitaPG
April 20th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't recommend any gloves at all to wash hair. it seems impractical, uncomfortable and damaging to the hair strands. What I recommended was to use a bit of hand lotion after leaving the shower, seems far more simple.

Jasonc126
April 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
So why the tea tree dry out my hands yet it works?

RitaPG
April 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Well, some people are more sensitive than others, but different body parts respond differently to certain products, that's why we have cleansing products for hair, for the body, for hands, for the face, there are even products out there formulated for private body parts.
Tea tree may be effective for your scalp and for your dermatitis issue, but maybe the skin on your hands doesn't produce enough natural oils to stay moisturized, and is more sensitive to the tea tree.
Hope this makes sense.

Jasonc126
April 20th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to quit using it though because it must be doing something good for my scalp.

RitaPG
April 20th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I get it, my mom has seborrhea dermatitis too, I know how hard it is to find a product that works. So if that one does good things for your scalp you should definitely keep on using it. Just get some hand lotion to compensate for the dried hands and you should be fine :)

Jasonc126
April 20th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the advice Rita. I know how that feels. I have spent so much money on dandruff shampoos to find the perfect one it's not even funny anymore. I just spot tested a little tea tree shampoo on my hands a while ago. It didn't really dry them out or anything. Maybe it's all in my head! Nonetheless don't want to give up a good thing. What exactly does the paul mitchell tea tree shampoo and conditioner do for dry flaky scalp if I might ask.

RitaPG
April 20th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I don't know about the Paul Mitchell Shampoo and conditioner, but I know that Tea Tree has antibacterial/anti fungal properties, so it's only natural that it helps with scalp problems, a lot of different dandruff shampoos contain Tea Tree too.