PDA

View Full Version : Can I help the man in my life?

absinthewilde
April 20th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I'm worried that my boyfriend is loosing his hair but I'm not completely sure that he is. He has very light blond hair and says it has always been thin. I have been with him for two years and I think his hair at his temples is creeping back. As for all over his head, that is where it is harder for me to tell because he's always had a little scalp show through because of how light his hair is but sometimes it seems more noticeable than others. He hasn't given me much info to go on by his genetics so I don't know if baldness runs in his family. His father and grandfathers are not around. He's 24 and I feel he's at the stage where he needs to do something and stop it before it gets bad but things like rogaine are not in the budget. I use a mixture of essential oils every other night and I feel confident that it's helped my growth amongst other things but I am wondering if stuff like that or castor oil, monistat, and a lot of the other things recommended on this forum work for men. Is it a waste of time to fight male pattern baldness that way? It's also tough because he feels completely defeated and acts like nothing can be done and it's hard for me to keep up a routine. He's unhappy about the situation but doesn't want to put in any effort so I have to be the one to do it. What can we do to keep what he has?

gogirlanime
April 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
male pattern baldness is caused by DHT a type of testosterone that can be blocked with an anti-androgen, have him take 320mg of concentrated Saw Palmetto and that should stop the process, then have him read "Grow Hair Fast" by Riquette Hofstein and use those techniques to grow his hair thick again. I did this for my dad and he is seeing results.

trolleypup
April 20th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Depends so much on genetics...if they say you are going bald, it's like trying to hold back a leaking dike...apply enough time/money/effort and you can keep back the tide for a while.

Othala
April 20th, 2012, 11:46 AM
My Hubby has the same problem. I have just bought Saw Palmetto tincture and Brahmi tincture to apply to his scalp the night before he washes it. He is not about to go down the Rogaine or Propecia route either.

Nizoral shampoo helps some people delay MPB (it contains Ketoconazole which is supposed to be a DHT blocker).

I hope he finds something that works for him. It's great that he has you for help and moral support.

absinthewilde
April 20th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys. If he doesn't have male pattern baldness and is just shedding a lot or something can the saw palmetto be harmful or it just won't matter?

tokitoki
April 20th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Does he care about it? I can't tell from your post if you are asking on his behalf, or just asking because of your own concern. I think it would be hard to convince him to take up a daily routine if he's not worried about it, and I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings about it. That's just my take on it!

EdG
April 20th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I don't know about supplements, but I feel that it is impossible to battle one's genetics.

Hair receding around the temples is very common (I have it). That doesn't necessarily mean that he will lose it all.
Ed

embee
April 20th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Be careful. He may not be able to do anything about it, and it would be horrid for him to begin to worry or want a toupee or something to hide it, as if it were a "Bad Thing" and he was somehow not good enough.

It's kinda like having big feet or something, it's what you've got and there you are. At least that's how I've seen it.

truepeacenik
April 20th, 2012, 07:54 PM
My ex husband had thin blond hair, and when we split a few years ago, and he was 44, he had considerable recession on his hairline plus a widening spot at the whorl.
Nothing helped much, again, holding back the wave.

absinthewilde
April 20th, 2012, 11:35 PM
This is something that concerns him but he has not asked me to ask these questions on here on his behalf. He doesn't believe anything can be done and sometimes acts like it is worse than it is but I want to have hope and if other people have words of encouragement he might listen more. He does that a lot, when I tell him something he doesn't listen but when someone else says the same exact thing then it seems to click with him. He's happy to go along with me rubbing oils on his head every night but I wanted to get some opinions before I devote a lot of time and effort into that.

Krentje
April 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM
I don't mean to come across as rude, but don't go too far along with the 'hope' for him! It is so much in genes and a very sensitive topic for some guys. So try not to see it as a 'problem', but tell him you like his looks anyway. ( i suppose you love him without (much) hair as well).

gogirlanime
April 25th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I say what everyone is saying it true at the same time don't fell like, "there is no way out genes are genes" because male pattern baldness is both genes and hormones and you can control your hormones. Saw Palmetto is very safe when taken properly I took it to balance my testosterone and I feel great now (my hair is growing better too). If you are nervous about it being unhealthy research it (don't go by just what I said) and you'll find many men are using it to at least try. AT LEAST TRY don't just give up and say, "it's genes there is nothing you can do about it" or go see a natural doctor for a recommendation.