PDA

View Full Version : Stretching washes newbie.... sad scalp?

Jessy22284
April 20th, 2012, 05:30 AM
So this week is the first time I've been stretching washes... at least with shampoo. I'm a runner, so after my runs at night I do condition my hair before I go to bed during my shower, but I don't shower in the morning. So my schedule was monday shampoo, none tuesday, none wed, thursday shampoo, and none today. My hair actually looked pretty good up until wednesday night. However, the problem is, now my scalp feels pretty itchy. What can I do to fix it? What am I doing wrong? :confused:

lady_hero
April 20th, 2012, 07:15 AM
We have a similar hair type. I stick to my usual routine ( wash every other day ) even if I exercise. On the off day, I just stick a shower cap on my head for my shower. But, if you're getting an itchy scalp, maybe you should try something else... Like CO, for instance. A lot of folks love it. I have tried CO about 4 times and it always made my scalp itchy and greasy.

EtherealDoll
April 20th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Maybe try not to condition every day but every other day. Or don't put conditioner on your scalp, only on the length. My scalp becomes flaky and itchy if I put conditioner on it, maybe yours doesn't like conditioner either.
You can also try to do scalp massage. It works if you do it regularly.

Bedhead
April 20th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Your scalp is just adjusting, so don't worry. In this scenario, scritching and massage are your friends....

heidi w.
April 20th, 2012, 09:22 AM
So this week is the first time I've been stretching washes... at least with shampoo. I'm a runner, so after my runs at night I do condition my hair before I go to bed during my shower, but I don't shower in the morning. So my schedule was monday shampoo, none tuesday, none wed, thursday shampoo, and none today. My hair actually looked pretty good up until wednesday night. However, the problem is, now my scalp feels pretty itchy. What can I do to fix it? What am I doing wrong? :confused:

How are you stretching washes? Is it by one day or 3 or 5 days? What's your rate of washing your hair?

I am unclear why after running, which traditionally produces a light amount of sweat, you'd then turn around and just put conditioner on your scalp after such a run.

I have Seborrheic Dermatitus, and in this scenario, I have had to learn absolutely that I can not put Anything on my hair. Absolutely nothing except shampoo, and then rinse super well.

Sounds to me that your scalp is telling you that it doesn't like all this stuff on the scalp. And it may also be telling you that you're waiting too long to wash your hair. Monday and Thursday appear to be your shampoo days. That's fairly normal actually, so it's not that you're stretching too much. It's something to do with applying all that conditioner that doesn't appear to be rinsed out. Or do I misunderstand? You may not be rinsing well enough.

You need to look up and learn about the "acid mantle". It will help you to understand what you're doing and how to choose better what hair washing methods to use.

Might I suggest Scritching. That may be helpful.

heidi w.

Jessy22284
April 20th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Thank you for all the answers?

How are you stretching washes? Is it by one day or 3 or 5 days? What's your rate of washing your hair?

I am unclear why after running, which traditionally produces a light amount of sweat, you'd then turn around and just put conditioner on your scalp after such a run.

I have Seborrheic Dermatitus, and in this scenario, I have had to learn absolutely that I can not put Anything on my hair. Absolutely nothing except shampoo, and then rinse super well.

Sounds to me that your scalp is telling you that it doesn't like all this stuff on the scalp. And it may also be telling you that you're waiting too long to wash your hair. Monday and Thursday appear to be your shampoo days. That's fairly normal actually, so it's not that you're stretching too much. It's something to do with applying all that conditioner that doesn't appear to be rinsed out. Or do I misunderstand? You may not be rinsing well enough.

You need to look up and learn about the "acid mantle". It will help you to understand what you're doing and how to choose better what hair washing methods to use.

Might I suggest Scritching. That may be helpful.

heidi w.

I sweat a lot when I run, I run more than 6 miles at a time and I probably oversweat as it's on a treadmill and inside. I'm used to showering and shampooing after a run. Even though I showered and shampooed in the morning before work. That's what I did pre-LHC, so trying to only do conditioner is actually a big change. And even though it isn't stretching a lot, monday to thursday is stretching alot more than shampooing every day (or twice a day 5 days a week) which is what my scalp was used to.

I feel like I am rinsing well enough? How do I know if I'm not?

Is Acid mantle something I buy?? or is it naturally occuring? :shrug:

fridgee
April 20th, 2012, 11:30 AM
My scalp was unhappy when I started COing too. What sorted it out for me was using a dilute apple cider vinegar rinse afterwards. The conditioner disrupts the natural ph of your scalp and the vinegar returns the skin to its normally slightly acidic ph (this is the acid mantle Heidi w referred to). Now I love CO washing, it made such a difference, and leave hair extra silky and shiny as an extra bonus!