PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about your hair toy collection

Mina17
April 19th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I love to browse the threads to see what hair toys other people are buying :). I'm interested to know what your hair toy collection is like. I know some people like to collect interesting woods, certain colors, or prefer certain artists or types of hair toys. Some of you have a specific style like gothic or elven. Others like to have a little bit of everything.

I haven't been collecting for very long, but right now I like to have a variety to choose from. Beaded sticks, spiral sticks, pretty woods, and metal toys are my favorites, although I do have a couple of acrylic sticks. I like sticks and forks equally. For colors I tend to go for blue, green, brown, and gold. The only things I don't really like are ficcares and flexis, really sparkly things and sticks with danglies. I can't say I have an absolute favorite hair toy artist, but I have more than one piece from Nightblooming, Quattro, Ketylo, and Grahtoe. As far as style I tend toward simpler, understated designs rather than bold or flashy.

Long_hair_bear
April 19th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I love to browse the threads to see what hair toys other people are buying :). I'm interested to know what your hair toy collection is like. I know some people like to collect interesting woods, certain colors, or prefer certain artists or types of hair toys. Some of you have a specific style like gothic or elven. Others like to have a little bit of everything.

I haven't been collecting for very long, but right now I like to have a variety to choose from. Beaded sticks, spiral sticks, pretty woods, and metal toys are my favorites, although I do have a couple of acrylic sticks. I like sticks and forks equally. For colors I tend to go for blue, green, brown, and gold. The only things I don't really like are ficcares and flexis, really sparkly things and sticks with danglies. I can't say I have an absolute favorite hair toy artist, but I have more than one piece from Nightblooming, Quattro, Ketylo, and Grahtoe. As far as style I tend toward simpler, understated designs rather than bold or flashy.

I'm your opposite my dear! I love bold, flashy, and sparkly. For instance, I prefer mairzydozy to grahtoe. I'm not a fan of plain woods, though I did buy one wood spiral stick I found on larks that I loved! I love elven stuff and purples, blues, and coppers. My favorite sellers on etsy are hairjems, aliarose, thyme2dream (lots of elvish stuff!) and mairzydozy. I have a lot of hairsticks and a few forks (all by mairzydozy) and a Ravenscroft moon I recently got for my bday. I used to be a major hairstick gal, but mairzydozy is slowly changing my mind. :D

ladyfey
April 19th, 2012, 07:23 PM
My taste is similar to yours, Mina. My favorite things now are knitting needles to keep my hair up, just bending a double pointed needle around a doorknob into a U shape. They sink all the way into my bun and therefore don't catch on things the way my hairsticks did. And they come in lots of different colors and are super cheap. I always used to catch my hairsticks on the interior car roof while strapping kids into car seats.

jeanniet
April 19th, 2012, 07:32 PM
My collection is big. Too big, lol. I need to thin it down (again), but have to get up the energy to get everything on the swap board.

My favorite artisans are LadyIdun, Quattro, MTM, BarefootMaiden, GTS, and Timberstone. I have quite a variety, from understated plain wood to flashier crystal pieces. I have a ridiculous number of LI sticks (and a custom order in the works)--I can't resist bright colors. I also have quite a variety of Quattro sticks and forks, although I really only wear the forks and may sell the sticks. I LOVE his forks!

I look for design and quality workmanship. I enjoy supporting artists, and I try to buy toys that are small pieces of art, even when the design is simple. :)

Calaelen
April 19th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I have a large collection that is vary varied. I have a GTS fork, a ravenscroft moon, several Graydog sticks, 3 papdonhs, lots of random unique pairs from various artists, a much loved TT, 2 mairzydozy forks, 2 fexis,2 Jeterforks, and MANY antique combs from the Victorian and Art Deco periods. I also make topped sticks, and several of them have entered my collection permanently. I like to have something in every colour to go with every style and mood :D and I love seeing what others have collected. I think the only toy I am not really enamoured with is the Ficcare, though I haven't tried one.

Amber_Maiden
April 19th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Most of my sticks are wood. All sticks ticks are over 6in. Most are 7in+. I also have glass and antler. I like seeing the natural wood, and love carved wood, which has been polished or smoothed. :) I kind of like Octopi, and Squids.

I have a GreyDog, Grahtoe, Barefoot Maiden, Emergentglassworks, epstone, outnumburednovelties, mairzydozy, crisantiglass, and foxflight.

Mostly I love epstone and Emergentglassworks. They make up the bulk of my collection.

I also have Ficcares and Flexi 8s.

Jing
April 20th, 2012, 04:17 AM
My collection feels very small, but by numbers it's bigger than I thought.

One dark brown/almost black two-prong fork that I got from the swap board. It's my motivational treat for when my hair is actually long enought to use it. :p
A set of two black 4½-inch horn hair sticks (the seller called them hair pins). The're fairly flat and very pointy - I've worn one of them twice (in a "cheater's bun") and managed to lightly injure myself the first time and my sister the second time. Really need to sand the ends down.
Two beak clips, one large silver one and one smaller silver one with black/blue metal flowers. I never use them because they don't hold my hair in place at all.
Two claw clips, one large with some sparklies and one smaller one. The big one is my everyday go-to hair toy.
One black, fairly hefty, ornamental clip (with this kind of clasp (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pNgRKEfxKmY/TRpgz9ocUAI/AAAAAAAAAgo/XWzClSMnCPs/s1600/lg+hair+clip.jpg)). I've had it since way before I decided to grow my hair long, used it a couple of times.
A set of spiral pins with glass crystals on top. I'm saving them for braided buns, so maybe two-three years' time. :rolleyes:

I don't have a favourite artist. I love the idea of sticks and forms, but I can't use them properly yet. Would like to try a flexi, but I'm ridiculously picky, so I never find one I like enough to buy. As far as colours go, I only really like black, colours that are close to black, grey, and silver. White, certain blues, and a very limited spectrum of dark reds are fine sometimes. So yeah, not a whole lot of choice out there for me. :rolleyes: Which is good in a sense, since it keeps me from accumulating hoards of pretty things. I really, really like pretty things. I just have a very narrow definition of "pretty."

Apriori
April 20th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Since I am pretty new to hairtoys I am still trying to figure out what I like, so I'm trying out new stuff from the swapboard. Right now I have some grahtoe, baerries, timberstone, guattro, crystalmood, some cheapper forks and sticks from ebay, ficcares and flexi-8's.

I definitly prefer curved hair forks (they are more comftable) and thicker hair sticks (they hold better). I find that I don't use my ficcares very much as I find them heavy and difficult to place (they always seems to be pulling at my hair) and I find the flexi-8's a little difficult to use.

I do like wood for some reason, but I want to buy some acrylic hair sticks at some point since it rains quite a bit around here and I don't want to ruin my wooden hair sticks.

Venefica
April 20th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I like hair toys which are Gothic and alternative and which shows of my love for anything supernatural. I like both big, flashy pieces and more subdued ones. I like woods but I am more fan of texture and color then grain pattern in and off itself, even if some grains are stunning. My favorite woods are Lignum Vitae and Ebony and I have several pieces using these woods. I generally have hair toys with all sorts of materials, including a hairstick with dangles made out of real, functional robots.

I have black hair and I really like black on black so I have allot of black hair toys, I also love red and purple. I love hair weapons and have allot of those. Other than that my hairsticks and other toys are usually either plain black with perhaps some red details, or they have crazy toppers and designs, usually depicting bats, spiders and supernatural creatures.

My favorite kind of hair toys are hairsticks, I also like hair forks. Other than that I have a few combs, a few clips, some head bands, a few decorated hairpins and scrunchies. My favorite hair toy sellers are Grahtoe Studios, Outnumbered Novelties, Ravens Lair, Aliarose, Forever Sunshine, Emergent Glassworks but there are so many good ones that it is hard to really give a list of favorites.

I am not to fond of Flexi 8 I have one but I find it very challenging to make it work for me.

CarpeDM
April 20th, 2012, 08:23 AM
My favorites are 60th Street 3 prong forks with the wider spacing, for me they hold the best and they are very light so that makes them comfortable to wear. I prefer the natural woods, but I also like some color now and then so I have some of the dymondwood colors as well. Next would be Ketylos (acrylics and dymondwood), but I need a set to make them work, one tends to slip out over time. I also like Pacific Merchantile acrylic sticks for wet hair and I have a few sets of Quattro sticks. I have tried Ficcares and they didn't work for me at all. I also have a few flexis but I can only use those as ponytail holders, otherwise they pull on my hair and are really uncomfortable, so they don't get as much love as the others.

WaterMusic
April 20th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I'm more of a fork person than a stick person. I would say my favourite sellers are Grahtoe and Nightblooming. I prefer natural woods, and I love cool grain patterns. I have about 12 toys right now.

Lissandria
April 20th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I like both forks and sticks, but lean more towards sticks at this stage of my hair journey. I can only really do Lazy wraps (sticks) and cinnabuns (fork or ficcare) and lazy wraps generally win hands down for snugness and comfort. When I gain some more length Im sure this will change.

I love wood so I have about 8 ketylos, both dymondwood and natural wood. I have one grah toe lilli fork (red heart) and have another custom fork on its way to me from grah toe (cedar with skull) and some lignum vitae sticks from grah toe with a beautiful grain on their way to me as well :love:.

I have a maple fork from folk and fern. I have two elymwold pretties and I have two custom sticks being made for me by elymwold as we speak.

I am a purple nut so I also have 3 purple ficcares, a black border, grey border, a red primavera and a honey marble. I also have two violet acrylic sticks from pacific mercantile on there way to me, very excited.

I do like jewels- but only polished semi precious jewels with vintage metal work- no cut gems or sparkles for me. I may get a mairzydozy fork one day, or a Quattro fork/stick- still not sure.

I am a hair toy addict, through and through :o It is nice to hear about everyone's collection :)

pepperminttea
April 21st, 2012, 07:28 AM
I use sticks more than forks, but I do have several forks and love them too. I tend to go for natural themes and organic shapes; leaves, vines, flower-topped sticks, trees, and the occasional bird or butterfly will draw me in hook, line and sinker. I have items along those lines from NightBlooming, AliaRose, Chevelure, Ficcare, Beadmask, MairzyDozy, serious, TimberstoneTurnings, Quecraft, Willowthewisp, Grahtoestudio, and Flexi-8 among others. But I also have a fondness for Quattro's smooth polished natural stones, and the genius simplicity of Ketylos (I have a number of topped ketylos, too), and even a couple of pairs of lightsabres. ;)

For everyday, I tend to go-to untopped ketylos, Quattro basics, or 60th street forks for just around the house, and for long journeys - places where I tend to just want something that'll do it's job, that will be fairly replaceable if I break or lose it, and won't catch on sofas, bags, etc.

I like a mix of materials; I love natural woods especially the contrast of paler grains, but when my hair's damp or if it's raining, I have quite a few metal ones, a few dymondwood (not many, as the instability of the colours bother me), and some acrylics and glass. And I have a few horn sticks from Quecraft, which I don't wear in damp conditions either, just in case.

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9614&pictureid=130194)'s a recent-ish shot of my collection, it's mostly all there. :) My ficcares are stored out of shot.

dwell_in_safety
April 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM
I limit myself to one hair toy purchase every other month, alternating between flexi8's and hair sticks/forks. This keeps me spending about $120/year on hair toys, which isn't too extravagant for me.

Right now, I have three flexi8's in medium, large, and extra large. I also have a spiral maple hairstick from LarksHairSticks and a three-prong purple heart wood hairfork from Grahtoestudios on Etsy. I purchased the medium and large flexi8's and the stick in December to begin my collection, with the XL flexi8 purchase in February because those two sizes were not sufficient for all sizes and the fork purchase just this month because I'd been lusting after that fork for a good three months.

Amber_Maiden
April 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM
I use sticks more than forks, but I do have several forks and love them too. I tend to go for natural themes and organic shapes; leaves, vines, flower-topped sticks, trees, and the occasional bird or butterfly will draw me in hook, line and sinker. I have items along those lines from NightBlooming, AliaRose, Chevelure, Ficcare, Beadmask, MairzyDozy, serious, TimberstoneTurnings, Quecraft, Willowthewisp, Grahtoestudio, and Flexi-8 among others. But I also have a fondness for Quattro's smooth polished natural stones, and the genius simplicity of Ketylos (I have a number of topped ketylos, too), and even a couple of pairs of lightsabres. ;)

For everyday, I tend to go-to untopped ketylos, Quattro basics, or 60th street forks for just around the house, and for long journeys - places where I tend to just want something that'll do it's job, that will be fairly replaceable if I break or lose it, and won't catch on sofas, bags, etc.

I like a mix of materials; I love natural woods especially the contrast of paler grains, but when my hair's damp or if it's raining, I have quite a few metal ones, a few dymondwood (not many, as the instability of the colours bother me), and some acrylics and glass. And I have a few horn sticks from Quecraft, which I don't wear in damp conditions either, just in case.

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9614&pictureid=130194)'s a recent-ish shot of my collection, it's mostly all there. :) My ficcares are stored out of shot.

Wow! Love your collection!!!

pepperminttea
April 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Wow! Love your collection!!!

:o Thank you!

Tabitha
April 21st, 2012, 12:30 PM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you 8)

pepperminttea
April 21st, 2012, 01:41 PM

Spill! Please? Your collection must dwarf mine. :D

Mina17
April 21st, 2012, 03:25 PM

Aw, c'mon Tabitha! We promise not to tell anyone:D

Wildcat Diva
June 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM
bumping this for fun.

islandboo
June 18th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Well, since it got bumped and I missed it the first time around:

I have an embarassingly large collection which is in desperate need of paring. I tend to prefer wood, but that is not to say other materials get no love, only that I am a hopeless grainac and have a startling lack of willpower where stunning woods are concerned.

For forks I tend to favor Grahtoe and 60th street. I do have several Quattros, Jeterforks and Votepalantine forks as well, and singles from a variety of other vendors but GTS and 60th street are far and away my favorites as they hold like a dream.

For sticks, I adore Elymwold and LadyIdun. I also have multiple sticks from Ketylo, Pacific Merchantile, Nightblooming, Barefoot Maiden, Mei Fa and Aliarose. I treasure my Beetnik505 and Greydog sticks but I have only a few of those.

I have about a dozen Ficcares and sometimes I love them and sometimes I hate them - they are either solid as a rock or else they tug and pull and are thoroughly miserable, go figure.

prettykitty
June 18th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I tend to consider my collection pretty modest, but it's slowly coming along. I tend to go for ages without buying anything, then buy a whole bunch of stuff and just go nuts.
I have two pairs of Pac. Merch. acrylics in Persian Blue and Confetti, which are probably the most used in my collection. I use them for bunning before a shower (they look tres chic under my shower cap ;)), and just everyday buns. I can only wear one at a time unless I really take my time and position them carefully, darn sensitive scalp! I definitely need more of these, more colours, and I love the new squared shape he makes now.
I have four medium ficcares, a black border, sapphire lotus, silver primavera, and a turquoise ahh, beady one. I forget what that style's called. They hold well, but I like to damp bun and the black border has some rust on it :mad: so now I only use these when my hair is dry. I tend to look at Ficcare's wesbite and think OMG i need ALL the colours...but I really don't.
I have a few flexi's...i'm never sure if I'm using them wrong, but for me the notches on the pin break hair when I'm putting them through. They're smallish so I don't use them for buns. I would buy more flexis to use as braid enders or such but yeah, I just don't feel like I use them enough.
Hmm, what else.....a Ravenslair U fork, some random hairsticks i've bought in stores or made, and the usual assortment of hairties/scrunchies/what have you.
I do have some amish pins from Mairzydozy and some Quattros coming soon that I'm a bit excited about, whee!
I think I'm a fairly boring hairtoy shopper, I consider really carefully before purchasing, research size, and stalk etsy for weeks before clicking buy.

Wildcat Diva
June 18th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Sounds like some really awesome collections. I would love to have such options on an everyday basis!

HumanBean
June 18th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Well so far I seem to be doing a bit of everything (except flexis which I don't care for), and I definitely am interested in at least one piece from all the major fork makers on etsy, so working my way towards that goal. So far I am less interested in sticks, but I think mostly because I'm not confident with them.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff470/Blbrady/520d5be8.jpg

This is how I'm currently storing things. All sellers are etsy except the MonktheMonk and Ficcarres and the major retailers so noted.

Back row of black box:
3 MonktheMonk forks, all from our own swap board.
Middle row, left to right: Grahtoe mini in Hollywood, the rose is from ironsinthefirefine83.
Front row left to right: 60th Street, Copper heart is NicolasandFelice, and aluminum flower with crochet work is LucieTales
The barrettes clipped to the left are just Target, but the gold flower barrettes are vintage from ElrondsEmporium (my very first etsy buy)

Back of yellow bucket:
Ficcares both from swap board
Middle row sticks left to right: Gardenofweedingirl stick. I love the bead and the bee, but the bee does not feel secure. I probably wouldn't order from this maker again. TTT Princess Eve Fans and Flowers, Year of the Rabbit by aMermaidsHarvest (the copper bends and thus the stick is more decorative than secure; but I adore the rabbit). TTT Phoenix Tipped StarGazer Lily (hollywood), Crisantiglass, and a color-changing pair from Nightblooming.
Decorative pins left to right: the mixed set is Anthropologie, the pearly set of three is ashleyspatula, the twig bobbies were woodlandbelle, then some spin pins, and the two silver scorpions amidst green borders are Ravenslair hairpins.

Not pictured: a few headbands, claw clips, some slides, almost all pre LHC and none special.

And then I have this - which is NOT hair friendly and no one likes it but me! But it's an octopus! And he has treasure! I need to be a mermaid some future Halloween so I can wear it without people thinking I'm crazy. (steampunkcouture)

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff470/Blbrady/ff717bb5.jpg

SongofLove
June 19th, 2012, 02:59 AM
*Awesome collection plus a friggin' OCTOPUS*

Sigh...What a wonderful hair toy collection!!! :inlove:

Why is the octopus not hair friendly? In any case, it looks soo cool!!

PolarCathy
June 19th, 2012, 03:16 AM
I have a lot of toys in terms of numbers, especially considering that less than two months ago I knew nothing about hairtoys. But it's repetitive, meaning that every time I buy a stick, I buy at least two if not three of the same design because I feel that two or three sticks hold my hair better nad safer than only one. I can't do most buns yet, I need more length, I have to finish them halfways and then tuck under, or something. So they don't hold very well. Also, I like the look of two crossed sticks, like X.

Style-wise, almost all of my stuff is raw and organic: wood, with the exception of one pair of antlers from GTS. I don't like acrylic/glittery things, but I love hand-carved wood. The fanciest thing I did was to glue a piece of obsidian on top of an otherwise very raw and organic walnut fork :)

So my collection is probably more on the boring side. I'll spice it up with a hair axe or two, not immediately but hopefully soon, and I bought some metallic hair swords weeks ago that I still haven't received but are on their way.

Zesty
June 19th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I've tried a little bit of everything, but I'm planning on purging a bit when I get back to the US because I've figured out what I really like and use. I'll be selling a Ficcare, a couple of flexi-8s (I only like them for half-ups so I have a couple that are too big for me to want to use), and a four prong Grahtoe fork (tines too short).

I like woods a lot, and nothing fancy or decorative. I don't like large toppers very much. I want things that go with anything and are easy. I also don't do well with too much to choose from, so I'm probably never going to have a collection like some LHCers, which suits my minimalist side fine. My collection post-purge will be an XS and a S flexi-8 in silver tone for special occasions, a two-prong redheart Grahtoe fork, 4 Pacific Merchantile sticks (in wood, and one in acrylic for showers and wet hair -- they're my basics, knockaround hair sticks it doesn't matter if I lose), and one Hacksaw007 stick in olive wood. I'm thinking about getting a custom Squiggly in cherry wood after I've sold my excess, and maybe a Ketylo stick or something like that.

Nae
June 19th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I have so, so many hair toys. I haven't bought any (okay I think actually two) in the last year and I think I have weaned myself off from buying one every little whipstitch. I have GTS, Ficcares, Nightblooming, Mairzydozy, Greydogs, Baerreis, Willow the Wisp, Colorado Wood Project, Pacific Mercantile, Emergent Glassworks (sorta, my octopus is currently visiting auntie GRU), Barefoot Maiden, Ketylos, Monk the Monk, 60th Street, Honeycomb, Epstone, Lady Idun, Cristani Glass (also at Auntie GRUs lol), RasaOm, Larks hairsticks, Timberstone Turnings, Aliarose, Ravenslair, Rparish Woodworks, Quattro, Flexi-8s, Quecraft, Beadmask (nice leather slides there) and ummmmm my pretty little yellow Ravenscroft moon. *pants* I am all outta breath there.

Right now, I reach for my Lady Iduns the most, followed by my ketylos. I seem to be in the land of the lazy wrap and like my singleton sticks the best right now, but when my hair was a bit shorter my forks and my dual hairsticks were my go to. I find it interesting that I reach for different things for different hair lengths.

Close ups. (Forgive the lousy camera work.)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5148/5551248169_5534903ca3.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5261/5551833812_1ab7582c3c.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5178/5551248451_f3628dfdc4.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5270/5551248663_7394e2bbe7.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5140/5551248885_fee69d707c.jpg

Nae
June 19th, 2012, 01:45 PM
And here is the whole flipping mess lol.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5016/5551834534_2db4f2a383.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5057/5551834652_b3fb5809ae.jpg

And one last close up.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5184/5551249301_6580d9d239.jpg

Now is that overkill or what?

ETA: DH calls it "the hairtoy section" of our bedroom. He is a patient man.

battles
June 19th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Well so far I seem to be doing a bit of everything (except flexis which I don't care for), and I definitely am interested in at least one piece from all the major fork makers on etsy, so working my way towards that goal. So far I am less interested in sticks, but I think mostly because I'm not confident with them.

You! You're the one that snatched the bees! :p I should have known.

But seriously, your collection is beautiful.

My collection consists of a metal hairstick from Claire's, a pair of bullet sticks from GTS and a gold primavera medium Ficcare. Gotta start somewhere, right?

ravenreed
June 19th, 2012, 04:11 PM
These are the ones I wear the most. I have five Quattro pieces, (three pairs of sticks, one single stick, and a fork), I have three Willowthewisp pieces (one fork and two sticks), two Mairzydozy pieces, four Ravenslair pieces (two forks, two sets of decorated Amish pins), two Flexi-8's, and a bunch of others. I am guessing about half of these came off the LHC swapboard, and a few I made myself.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/ravenreed/hairgoodies.jpg

SongofLove
June 19th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Nae...Wow! It's like you have your own hair toy shop!!

Ravenreed, what a creative way to store your hair toys! It looks like a picture frame with knitted fabric stretched inside it? How did you secure the fabric? Nice collection! Where did you get the tulip hairstick and the goddess hairfork? What lovely pieces...

saffy2yrs
June 19th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I do not have any hair toys, and was wondering what is good to start out with. I have used a plain metal hairstick with a glass ball on the end to do buns, but that is it. When I get my hair braided and they use bobby or hair pins my scalp starts itching within 12 hours.

so, any suggestions of relatively cheap hair toys that are a must-have?

HumanBean
June 19th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Sigh...What a wonderful hair toy collection!!! :inlove:

Why is the octopus not hair friendly? In any case, it looks soo cool!!

Thanks! I've spent way too much money but so far am really happy with what I've chosen.

The clip on the octopus is cheap, it snags my hair every time and I snap hair guaranteed. Plus it's attached backwards...so that I have to hold the octopus and my hair with my left hand and snap the clip closed with my right, the opposite of what I'm used to. So inevitably I fumble and have to do it over two or three times, losing more hairs. I've also completely misaligned the clip once and jammed it. My husband had to unjam it for me while it was still on my head. Let's see, what else...it had a brooch attachment at the top, to make it more versatile as a clothing piece, but that can snag the hair too.

What I probably need to do is dissolve the glue somehow on both attachments and then reattach the clip or a better clip the right way.

HumanBean
June 19th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I love that star Ravenreed - what is that? A barrette?

HumanBean
June 19th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Nae, who is the maker of those stick pairs that are white topped with pink (with the green band)?

HumanBean
June 19th, 2012, 10:09 PM
You! You're the one that snatched the bees! :p I should have known.

But seriously, your collection is beautiful.

My collection consists of a metal hairstick from Claire's, a pair of bullet sticks from GTS and a gold primavera medium Ficcare. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Thank you Battles. I'm sure she'd make you a pair or single. It's funny because when LongHairBair posted about them they were sold, but then they weren't, or I guess she had another set and reposted it? Not sure how that works.

And yeah, your set of three isn't a shabby start at all!

Wildcat Diva
June 19th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Nae, that is a lot of toys and certainly worth seeing. You could charge admission. So glad I bumped this thread.

ravenreed
June 20th, 2012, 08:49 PM
It is a laquered wooden pin that is covered in crystals. I inherited from a dear friend who passed away, and since I don't wear pins as such, I stuck it on a Bun Head pin. It looks fabulous when I am dancing, and I can remember my friend with fondness.

I love that star Ravenreed - what is that? A barrette?

AutumnLocks
June 27th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I have been a hair toy hoarder for years. Due to two moves in the past year I don't have as many as I used to. One double plastic head band, two sets of hairsticks one black and one tortie, a long jaw clip which I use almost every day. lots of elastics, hair pins, bobpins, assorted barretts, and that's about it. I'd love to have one really nice piece tho. Like a set of silver hair sticks or something similar. I recently got a Sally's discount card which makes me really happy!

ejking2
July 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
What beautiful hairtoys! My collection is pretty modest so far: A purpleheart hairstick from Barefoot Maiden with a purple lucite rose on top, an African red padauk wood hairstick from Fortress Wands, spin pins, a Goody modern updo maker, a billion headbands to hold back my bangs, a bunch of elastics and bobby pins, and my newest addition, a Scunci octopus clip.

neko_kawaii
July 2nd, 2012, 10:55 PM
My hair toy collection is quite modest. The only one I purchased is a textile fabric flower arrangement in dusty pinks, greens and brown on a brown elastic headband, made by a local-to-me crafter who also sells them on etsy. I have one hair stick I carved in a spiral, and two matching shortened chopsticks. My mother is a woodworker and she has made four hair sticks for me, two of which my son broke and a other one my husband knocked down and part of the decoration shattered (might be glueable if I could make up my mind what would be the right glue), leaving one terribly delicate hair stick for my use. My mother in law has given me a couple slides and I have a bone fork that the decoration broke off of about ten years ago but it is still functional. I keep trying to take pictures of my collection, but they turn out blurry and then I give up.

Dars
July 3rd, 2012, 01:59 AM
Here is my measly collection. I bought the wooden toys a month ago! After 3 years of LHC I finally own a proper stick and fork. The stick has a pearly sort of material (I doubt it's real because they cost $3 each) on the top which is quite pretty but I rarely use it because it's so thin it doesn't hold anything (there is a lot of shadow in the picture). The black thingy is just a decorative lace fabric hair clip.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/2593/20120703174608.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/20120703174608.jpg/)

Nae
July 3rd, 2012, 04:42 AM
Nae, who is the maker of those stick pairs that are white topped with pink (with the green band)?

This is the maker. http://www.etsy.com/shop/rparishwoodworks

I like the colors on his stuff, they are also an interesting flat shape. On one pair I did have to sand down an end since it was too "flat" for my taste BUT it sanded down great and I couldn't even tell that I had messed with it.:D

Long_hair_bear
July 3rd, 2012, 05:55 AM

This is how I'm currently storing things. All sellers are etsy except the MonktheMonk and Ficcarres and the major retailers so noted.

Back row of black box:
3 MonktheMonk forks, all from our own swap board.
Middle row, left to right: Grahtoe mini in Hollywood, the rose is from ironsinthefirefine83.
Front row left to right: 60th Street, Copper heart is NicolasandFelice, and aluminum flower with crochet work is LucieTales
The barrettes clipped to the left are just Target, but the gold flower barrettes are vintage from ElrondsEmporium (my very first etsy buy)

Back of yellow bucket:
Ficcares both from swap board
Middle row sticks left to right: Gardenofweedingirl stick. I love the bead and the bee, but the bee does not feel secure. I probably wouldn't order from this maker again. TTT Princess Eve Fans and Flowers, Year of the Rabbit by aMermaidsHarvest (the copper bends and thus the stick is more decorative than secure; but I adore the rabbit). TTT Phoenix Tipped StarGazer Lily (hollywood), Crisantiglass, and a color-changing pair from Nightblooming.
Decorative pins left to right: the mixed set is Anthropologie, the pearly set of three is ashleyspatula, the twig bobbies were woodlandbelle, then some spin pins, and the two silver scorpions amidst green borders are Ravenslair hairpins.

Not pictured: a few headbands, claw clips, some slides, almost all pre LHC and none special.

And then I have this - which is NOT hair friendly and no one likes it but me! But it's an octopus! And he has treasure! I need to be a mermaid some future Halloween so I can wear it without people thinking I'm crazy. (steampunkcouture)

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff470/Blbrady/ff717bb5.jpg

I like the octopus! :D Screw the naysayers!

HumanBean
July 3rd, 2012, 10:59 PM
This is the maker. http://www.etsy.com/shop/rparishwoodworks

I like the colors on his stuff, they are also an interesting flat shape. On one pair I did have to sand down an end since it was too "flat" for my taste BUT it sanded down great and I couldn't even tell that I had messed with it.:D

That's funny as I've had his shop favorited on etsy for months but haven't bought any sticks because of the flat shape. Good to hear a decent review. I'll have to take a gamble sometime soon.

Venefica
July 4th, 2012, 03:24 AM
That huge octopus clip is just dreamy, it is amazing where did you get it? The rest of your hair toy collection is amazing as well. I would wear that octopus out on everyday life and if someone do not like it, ignore them.

HumanBean
July 4th, 2012, 08:38 AM
That huge octopus clip is just dreamy, it is amazing where did you get it? The rest of your hair toy collection is amazing as well. I would wear that octopus out on everyday life and if someone do not like it, ignore them.

Thanks! From etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SteampunkCouture?ref=ss_profile

rags
July 4th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I would be completely embarrased to put up my hairtoy collection. It seriously needs paring down (again!). I tend to go for untopped sticks, real wood with amazing grains, a few carefully selected dymondwoods, and Ficcares. I have - MTM, Ficcares, 60th Street (my favorite), Ketylos (2nd favorite and I have a whole vase full of nothing but them!), Greydogs, Papadonh, Lady Idun, Quattro, Beadmask, AMadLife, Wolfenwoods, Flexi-8's (though I only wear the minis for half-ups. I need to sell the others), Ravenscroft moons, Hacksaw007, Mei Fas, Timberstone Turnings, Nightblooming, Grahtoe, Baerries, G3Studios, Bijoux Manoel, Beetnik, Elymwold, and a few Ravenslair finishing pin sets.

Whew! Looking at that - I really need to some serious paring down. I wear mostly the ketylos and the 60th streets for everyday as you can't beat the hold and they are my style (plain wood, no toppers or danglies). But I probably won't. :p In my defense, I've been collecting for several years now.

prettykitty
July 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I should take a picture of mine...though it seems to be growing. I tend to choose very carefully, and spend a lot of time considering items. I try not to buy too many similar items, I like variety!

Venefica
July 4th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the link HumanBean I am checking the store out, they have some nice goodies.

prettykitty
July 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Thought I'd take a picture of what I already have, even though it's already growing. I think it's a good 'starter' collection though.
My ficcares-
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj625/phonicfrog/ficcares.jpg

And the sticks and (currently) one fork-
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj625/phonicfrog/hairtoycollection1.jpg

I have a few things coming in the mail, but I think there's definitely room for my little collection to grow :P