PDA

View Full Version : When you get stressed, does your hair get stressed?

mzBANGBANG
April 19th, 2012, 05:05 PM
It's finals week and I am completely stressed out. To top it off, my hair feels like crap. I haven't been caring for it as much as I used to, and seemed to have misplace my BBB but that's never been a problem so much in the past.

When you get unstressed, does your hair get unstressed? I'd honestly really like to cut off 4 inches because I'm tired of it looking gross, but if there's a way out, I suppose I'll keep it...

Nedertane
April 19th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I can sympathize with you, it's finals week for me too. I feel like my hair stresses with me, but I also wonder if it's a psychological thing, in that I just notice it more since anything and everything can set you off when you're stressed. Mostly, it seems like my oiliness will go haywire - crazy oily one day, crunchy and dry the next, even if I don't wash it any differently. It also seems more split and breakage prone, but I don't think that can really be possible.

Knotted
April 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
My hair growth really slowed down this past autumn and winter due to stress.

mzBANGBANG
April 19th, 2012, 06:37 PM
... crazy oily one day, crunchy and dry the next, even if I don't wash it any differently. It also seems more split and breakage prone, but I don't think that can really be possible.

Yes. This exactly. One day it's fine, the next it's like it's not even my hair. I've been doing a lot of de-stressing activities, but since my hair is my focus it might just be noticing it more.

Lady Neeva
April 19th, 2012, 08:49 PM
In the summer, my hair was more moisturized. However, in the winter and spring, my hair appeared dry and the growth slowed down. No mystery why.

barely.there
April 19th, 2012, 10:12 PM
When I was going through a stressful period, my whole body looked like crap. hair included :/

ladylowtide
April 19th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I find that I have condition the crap out of my ends when I am stressed. Especially during this end of the semester period.

cwarren
April 19th, 2012, 10:31 PM
When I'm stressed out, I have less patience with my hair. So yeah, my hair seems less manageable when I'm overworked or tired...

mzBANGBANG
April 19th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I find that I have condition the crap out of my ends when I am stressed. Especially during this end of the semester period.

Makes me feel a little better. I ended up trimming a quarter inch, CWC, and oiled them a bit. My nails are jaggedy from biting them, my eyes are sore from staring at computers. I guess it only follows suit that my hair goes to crap, too.

spookyghost
April 20th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I must hair of steel because I am a very easily stressed person with a very stressful job and my hair is only in bad shape because of how badly I've taken care of it. Thats why I am so happy I found this site!:D

Amber_Maiden
April 20th, 2012, 05:01 PM
It's finals week for me and yes, my hair does get stressed out- mainly because I can't bother to take very good care of it during this week...

alexandros22
April 20th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I have noticed that when I get stressed my hair gets dry and my scalp too

Phalaenopsis
April 21st, 2012, 05:50 PM
My hair does get stressed when I get stressed, but mostly because it has to take more from me. I won't take care of it as well as I should. Also, stress makes me more critical about myself, including my hair. I hate how I'm suddenly very aware about everything that's wrong with my hair.

JellyBene
April 21st, 2012, 05:56 PM
Yes it does. I went through a period of EXTREME stress and began losing massive amounts of hair, it was awful :( One day in the shower I lost 83 hairs. As soon as the stress stopped, my hair loss went back to normal

Carissamarie08
April 21st, 2012, 06:24 PM
I seem to shed a lot more when I am stressed.

Thenolegirl
April 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM
I feel your pain. Finals week for me too =( And they start at 7:30 AM Monday Boooo Showers late at night. Don't stress too much. I lost a lot of hair when I first came to college last year.

Laylah
April 21st, 2012, 06:58 PM
I tend to neglect my hair when stressed out, too. Finals don't stress me out that much, since I figure if I haven't learned it by then, I'm not going to learn it in the next few days. The week before finals is the worst, IMO, because it's when all the essays/projects are due... Finals are like a relief after that.

shutterpillar
April 21st, 2012, 07:25 PM
I believe the body is like one big working machine. If one area is not working properly, the rest of the machine will not work properly.

I definitely find if I am sick, stressed, or not eating/drinking the right things, then the condition of my hair is a direct result from that. It looks best when I am happy and healthy. :)

spidermom
April 21st, 2012, 08:10 PM
No. It amazes me, but my hair keeps on keeping on no matter what else is going on in my life.

HintOfMint
April 21st, 2012, 09:57 PM
In my last semester of college when I was sleep deprived constantly and eating terribly, my hair started to shed like crazy. Every time I ran my fingers through my hair a few strands would come out, root and all!

Tisiloves
April 30th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Yes, particularly my fringe. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY4LZRBHtvc