PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

pop
April 19th, 2012, 11:47 AM
hello guys...well I have a long time to write here...and I want to show..you pics of my progress wich is not soooo....goood..I mean my hair growing extremely slow. So I will upload photos to show you my hair tomorrow but I want to tell you today what happend to my work. A hairdresser came in on the store that Im working and with my colleagues we start to question her about our hair. So, she said to one of my colleagues (she have long hair but with a lot of split ends) that she hasn't to do anything because she has beautiful hair..When she look my hair, she said that I need immediatelly to do something new to my hair because they are not looking so good and healthy. She said that I have to cut my hair in many layers, to buy only kerastase products and because my hair from old dyes has two colours she said that I have to dye my half hair...Also for finish me she said that my hair are very thin and fine and I cant do anything...complete dissapointment..
FYI. I stop to dye my hair for three years now, I dont use irons, blowdryers,plastic combs,finish with cold water and apple vinegar. I use only shampoo and conditioner, and when I start to growing my hair I do a long cut to clean everything. I havent any split ends right now...but yes my hair are very thin and grow slow.
Sorry for the big post but I have to talk to someone...and Im wondering if it worth it to try for better hair if no one sees that?? :(:(:(

Amber_Maiden
April 19th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Sounds like she doesn't know what she is talking about. Keep doing what you are doing and don't take advice from people who don't know how to take care of their own hair, let alone yours!

CopperHead
April 19th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't listen to her at all. It sounds like you have a good plan in place and just need to be patient until your hair grows more. I know it can feel like forever when you just want it to be long, but it is worth the wait. Hang in there. :)

WaitingSoLong
April 19th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I would completely ignore her.

Her advice about dying your hair makes NO SENSE. According to her you can never stop dying your hair because once it has half grown out you would need to dye it again.

Plus, if she ignored the splits on the other woman's hair then her hair advice is only her personal opinion and likes/dislikes and nothing more.

XcaliburGirl
April 19th, 2012, 12:34 PM
It sounds to me like she just wanted to sell you a lot of expensive products and services. The important thing is that you know what you want for your hair.

Definitely post some pictures. I'm sure your hair is making progress. If you need advice you can ask here.

PeacenQuietGal
April 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'm sure your good routine and lack of abuse is making a wonderful difference - how can it not?!

And, remember it is not as if "no one" will notice - this is just one person, and someone who, as was pointed out above, has a motive to encourage you to buy products and services that you don't need!

You know, all the truely knowledgeable poeple here can tell you more objectively what is great about your hair!!! You should post some pics, and let the LHC folks tell you what they recommend. After all, we have your best interests at heart, and only want to "share the journey" amongst ourselves. :grouphug:

jacqueline101
April 19th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I'd ignore her advice.

Dragon Faery
April 19th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Aww. :( :grouphug:
She's a trained stylist, so she's looking at things from the industry standpoint of what's currently "in fashion" and what looks fashionable Right Now.
You're looking at the big picture and your long-term goals. If you stick to what you're doing, when you reach your goals with the hair you want the wait will be completely worth it, and your hair will be MUCH better than if you follow her advice.

Comments like these are so hard to take, but we are all rooting for you here. :) Keep going, and you won't regret it!

barely.there
April 19th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I have thin hair too and it looks gross pretty fast. not many split ends. my hair is pretty healthy. just ignore her, and do what's best for you :) take care of your body as well !!!

Kwantslonghair
April 19th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I would not listen to her. I have been lurking here for quite a while now and these ladies KNOW about hair. There are so many awesome heads of hair here so they must be doing something right. Mine is in the best shape it has ever been thanks to this site. Also you cannot compare your hair to anyone elses hair. What counts is that you strive for the best hair that YOU can have. Keep up the good work.

Fairlight63
April 19th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I think that she is trying to sell you hair products. It is good that you quit dying your hair - it could be the thing that is making your hair thin. I quit dying my hair several yrs. ago & I think that my hair is getting thicker now from not dying it.

Don't pay any attention to what she says! Keep doing what you are doing & it will pay off in the end.

Honeyfall
April 19th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Don't listen to her dear, if she thinks it's fine to ignore split ends then she probably can't do much to help you meet your goals anyway. I am sure your hair is lovely and I can't wait to see some pictures! :grouphug:

spookyghost
April 19th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I feel so bad for you!:cry: Please dont listen to her and listen to all of the wonderful advice and comments on this board. Not only is that woman misinformed but what she said was just plain-mean!

It sounds like you are treating your hair really good and I bet it looks great:) I bet you there are people that love your hair you just dont know it;)

leslissocool
April 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Don't listen to her! My son's hair is GORGEOUS and it's super thin and hard to grow. Is your hair multi- toned naturally or are you growing it out? Because if you're growing out dye, she might be commenting on THAT, and not you actual hair.

My son's hair:

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/297816_2044676602174_1402147686_31784762_119535121 5_a.jpg

This one (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/383494_3000136848083_1402147686_32156123_540638022 _n.jpg) is from this week. His hair feels like satin! My husband's hair is almost to TB, super fine hair too. Hard to grow, but gorgeous. I'll take a picture of only his hair tonight, and post it. It's gorgeous, he never trims it, no chemicals, no dye, nothing. And it's long.

Mesmerise
April 19th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I have NO IDEA why stylists recommend layers for really thin hair?! Usually it just makes thinner hair look stragglier (depends on the type of hair, of course, and everyone's hair is different).

Honestly, as others have said IGNORE her!

I have seen plenty of very thin hair that looks just fine when it gets long! Stylists are... well odd... (some not all of course :p). Some are excellent and respect all types of hair, others just have a weird idea of what should and shouldn't be.

Some will tell you to cut all your hair off if it's thin! How stupid. Then you just have short, thin hair.

Above all though, its what YOU want for YOUR hair. You may never have the perfect hair, but what you do will be yours. I, for one, would rather have long hair, even if it's not perfect, than have short hair that I can't stand looking at in the mirror.

Jing
April 20th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Never trust people who would make money from the advice they give. They're not all greedy liars, but you can't tell which ones are and which ones aren't, so it's always better to err on the side of safety and do your own research, regardless of topic.

pop
April 20th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Thank you very much for the support...I read all of your comments and advices and good words...thanks for everything..I admit that yesterday I felt dissapointment but today I feel very confidence and happy :) I wish I will upload the photos right...

http://s18.postimage.org/hjj7i5195/aug10.jpg aug 2010
http://s18.postimage.org/sd0ep1qqh/nov10.jpg nov 2010
http://s17.postimage.org/f2izerdkv/mar11.jpg mar 2011
http://s15.postimage.org/ptmn72g4r/aug11.jpg aug2011

http://s13.postimage.org/fwkt5g59j/apr12.jpg apr 2012
http://s18.postimage.org/6vyc96e8l/apr122.jpg apr 2012

http://s15.postimage.org/huwmbob3f/apr_2012.jpg now!
http://s15.postimage.org/vxn54e5uz/apr12222.jpg
http://s14.postimage.org/vvpbbkkoh/apr_1222.jpg

pop
April 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM
oops sorry but I dont know how to show them in my post...

Calaelen
April 20th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I've read your post and looked at your pics. Your hair looks healthy, shiny and happy.

As a hairstylist, I am very familiar with what we are trained to look for and say. Let me tell you that the industry is NOT concerned with healthy hair. We have it drilled into us to go for fashion above anything, and if we can charge a ton of money to our clients to make them think they've attained it then that is what we should do.

I reject this way of thinking 100%. Your hair is beautiful, and has so much body. The only thing I would mention is that as a curly girl, brushing your hair out as in the last two pics can make it look dry and damaged even when it is not. Keep doing what you're doing, because it is working for you!

heidi w.
April 20th, 2012, 09:49 AM
hello guys...well I have a long time to write here...and I want to show..you pics of my progress wich is not soooo....goood..I mean my hair growing extremely slow. So I will upload photos to show you my hair tomorrow but I want to tell you today what happend to my work. A hairdresser came in on the store that Im working and with my colleagues we start to question her about our hair. So, she said to one of my colleagues (she have long hair but with a lot of split ends) that she hasn't to do anything because she has beautiful hair..When she look my hair, she said that I need immediatelly to do something new to my hair because they are not looking so good and healthy. She said that I have to cut my hair in many layers, to buy only kerastase products and because my hair from old dyes has two colours she said that I have to dye my half hair...Also for finish me she said that my hair are very thin and fine and I cant do anything...complete dissapointment..
FYI. I stop to dye my hair for three years now, I dont use irons, blowdryers,plastic combs,finish with cold water and apple vinegar. I use only shampoo and conditioner, and when I start to growing my hair I do a long cut to clean everything. I havent any split ends right now...but yes my hair are very thin and grow slow.
Sorry for the big post but I have to talk to someone...and Im wondering if it worth it to try for better hair if no one sees that?? :(:(:(

What a brat!! This is a colleague? She knows squat about hair care. Color the hair so it'll look better. Is she for real? Some people are like that though. I have pretty hair, and I look great so I'm gonna lord it over you and make you feel like crap with all I got goin' on.

Ignore her and carry on. Just put this diatribe out of your mind. She's just flappin' her jaws in the breeze.

Never forget, a pretty face doesn't make a pretty heart.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 20th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I just looked at the two 2012 pictures. Your hair is doing just fine. You have wavy hair, and if you use a brush to detangle your hair, I would suggest switching to a wide-toothed comb. It took me a while to make this change, but I eventually got there. You have lovely hair. Do not doubt yourself. Ignore the nonsense this colleague was spewing. It's simple nonsense. You're doing fine. You posses rather pretty hair, actually.

heidi w.

Of the Fae
April 20th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Your hair looks pretty! It seems a bit dry, but maybe that's just because it is coarse (because is is also curly). That can be solved with mineral or veggie oil :)
And I really like your wavy curls and haircolour. Just keep on growing, don't dye it! And don't listen to that nasty girl ;)

pop
April 20th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the good words again!!! I visited your profiles and you all have gorgeous and healthy hair..so inspiring...

In two last photos of 2012..I was comb my hair for oil process..now I wash them and let them air dry and I upload 3 more photos..to see..the truth is when I brush my hair looks very dry...and sometimes feel very dry at the ends and oily on the roots...

http://s15.postimage.org/huwmbob3f/apr_2012.jpg now!
http://s15.postimage.org/vxn54e5uz/apr12222.jpg
http://s14.postimage.org/vvpbbkkoh/apr_1222.jpg

somethingwicked
April 20th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I love your curls! I'll bet that's why it seems like it's growing slowly.

And, agree with everyone else, it looks to me like you're doing just fine

pop
April 21st, 2012, 01:15 AM
Thank you very much!!

Konstifik
April 21st, 2012, 01:40 AM
As other people said, don't listen to that hairdresser. Most hairdressers are only taught how to style hair, not how to really take care of hair.

Also, have patience with your hair, it will grow! I also have a really slow growth, I've been growing out my neck-length hair to ~tailbone in 11 years, it was well worth the wait. :) Hugs!

kidari
April 21st, 2012, 01:58 AM
I would ignore her advice too. Is she trying to sell you something or make money off of you? It sounds like it to me. "Only use Kerastase products" does not sound like very helpful advice at all.

LilLozc
April 21st, 2012, 03:06 AM
I wouldn't listen to her if I were you.

I had a similar experience with my hair dresser. I'm beginning to be very sceptical when it comes to hair dressers.

There are 3 things to realise about hairdressers:

1. They are trying to sell me more.
2. Many only understand how to work with plastic (silicone) coated hair and has no idea what to do with real hair
3. They are not at all concerned about your efforts to grow hair. They are happiest if you see them regularly
1. where they tend to cut off more than what is necessary
2. where they like to see you more often then you need
3. if you have slow growing hair, think nothing of cutting out 60% of the growth you have achieved since the last time you visted).

Expanded Version:

Since joining LHC, I've started taking much better care of my hair. With noticeable results. All my comment on how nice my hair is looking as well.

I tried a henna colour 2 weeks before my last appointment with my hairdresser. It was the best colour I've (EVER) had. So beautiful and natural looking.

During the appointment, I asked her what she thought of the colour. She said she thought it looked old and had lost its vibrancy, and could I could probably do to come back for a colour!!!

I've come to realise she has not be trained to understand how real/natural hair works and looks. My hair isn't coated in Diemethicone and artificially shiny, so I think what she see's is different to what I see. (I see hair in the best condition of my life).

She always seems to find this "damage" that "needs" to be cut out. But I don't seem to have these issues with my hair, I search it for split ends, and there are very few. Also, when I style my hair each day with my own products, it looks good. I think she chops because I have fine, curly, dry hair; and she's probably not trained to understand it.

Anyway - I'm looking for another hair dresser now.

Sorry for the rant - this has been bugging me, and feels great to vent about it.

LilLozc
April 21st, 2012, 03:32 AM
Hello - I just saw the photos' - you hair looks like it is is good condition. It's just a curly and a little dry (as many curly heads are).

Some weekends, I give my hair a heavy oil treatment (Saturday) then a protein treatment (Sunday). That can help with the dryness.

DancingQueen
April 21st, 2012, 04:23 AM
I think your hair looks way healthier and longer, don't listen to her, and keep up the good work :)

ETA: I don't know why she thinks your hair looks thin, looks like mine. Maybe you should measure your thickness again?

KittyBird
April 21st, 2012, 11:33 AM
Ignore her, it sounds like she was just trying to sell you expensive products. Her advice made no sense at all.
I think your hair looks great, and it sounds like you're taking good care of it. Keep up the good work! :)