PDA

View Full Version : co-washing with a cone condish

venus_flytrap
July 26th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Is it a bad idea to co-wash with a cone-y conditioner if I clarify every couple of weeks? I love the way my hair looks when I CO, but every conditioner that i've tried has left build up on my scalp. The one conditioner that has actually worked has been the Yes To Carrots one (I think bc it contains oils high up on the ingredients list, in addition to essential oils), but it has dimethicone near the bottom of the list. Will the silicone do anything bad to my scalp or cause excess shedding? Has anyone used a cone-y conditioner to CO?

Or better yet, does anyone have any silicone-free recs for conidtioners that have oils in them (jojoba, olive, almond, etc, and not just essential oils)?

:)

Anje
July 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Using a cone conditioner won't necessarily cause problems for you, but you'll almost certainly get buildup eventually. You'll really just have to see how this conditioner works for you.

I've had the best luck with Suave Naturals for CO, myself, but they don't tend to have oils. You could always add some yourself, though, if you want oil in your conditioner.

Riot Crrl
July 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose is chock full of oil, but I wouldn't wash my hair with it. I wash it with something weaker like Suave Naturals conditioner, then condition with AOHR.

Peggy E.
July 26th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I CO with whatever conditioner I can find that's not going to take an arm and a leg - holy matilida, but prices are getting wwwwaaaaaaayyyyy beyond me, anymore..... :o(

However, to compensate for any evilness found within the conditioner, I've been using a final rinse of 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 water. This has also helped with the awful scabs I've had on my scalp since the beginning of time!

Is there anything vinegar can't do??!!

rhosyn_du
July 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I don't have any personal experience with CO-ing with cones, but I know AJoifulNoise uses coney conditioners for CO, and she's got lovely hair, so it clearly works for some people.

I've definitely had some trouble with scalp build-up with CO. The only conditioners I've used that don't leave build up are VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze and Vanilla Mint Tea Therapy, and even with those, I get a little build up, but I shampoo every 6-8 weeks when I touch up my henna, so it's not such a big deal. Good luck in finding something that works for you!