PDA

View Full Version : "Are 'paint stripper' chemicals in shampoo destroying your hair? "- newspaper article

infinity_girl
April 19th, 2012, 01:16 AM
The msm finally wakes up to what LHC has known since the dawn of time;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2131761/Are-paint-stripper-chemicals-shampoo-destroying-hair.html

Valfreyja
April 19th, 2012, 01:28 AM
"you’re never without straighteners and you’ve even tried a Brazilian blow-dry to get the perfect sleek look.
Yet your locks stubbornly remain more lacklustre than luscious. Have you ever considered your shampoo might be to blame?"

Come on, Daily Mail! Shampoo has to be the LEAST harmful of all of these!

Still, I'm glad they're getting the message out there. I'm curious to try out some of the alternative shampoos they listed as well! :)

PrincessIdril
April 19th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Somehow I think a sulphate shampoo is one of the least damaging chemical products you can use on your hair. (Not suggesting it isn't damaging, I just think its one of the "lesser" evils) Especially when compared to all the treatments that "article" (I use the term losely as it is the Daily Fail...) refers to.

sfgirl
April 19th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Once again the daily fail... I remember when they tried to do an article on (jab a tan) melonotan and they kept calling it melatonin, like the sleep aid.
Yes not using shampoo is a great idea but not a lot of people are going to pay attention to this article because of the source.

pelicano
April 19th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Once again the daily fail... I remember when they tried to do an article on (jab a tan) melonotan and they kept calling it melatonin, like the sleep aid.
Yes not using shampoo is a great idea but not a lot of people are going to pay attention to this article because of the source.

I thought the opposite - that more people will pay attention to it, because it's mainstream and has a huge readership.

Konstifik
April 19th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Oh dear... So much fail.
Also: Sodium lauryl sulphate is also most usually derived from coconuts! Another common name for SLS is "saponified coconut"...

afu
April 19th, 2012, 05:25 AM
this basically seems to be promoting the 'sulphate free' brands rather than promoting better hair care, would have been nice to see some 'alternative' methods mentioned. Ah well, a little bit at a time i suppose

MonaMayfair
April 19th, 2012, 05:26 AM
When I saw the title of this thread I just KNEW it was the Daily Mail again!

Freija
April 19th, 2012, 06:11 AM
SLS isn't always a demon-child. I use it, with a good dollop of Biolage on my lengths and ends afterwards, and I wash my hair once every three days. It's curly and very fine, so it won't ever look completely sleek the way straight hair does, but it's bright, shiny, fat and happy. I trim once or twice every year, and can't remember the last time I found a split end. I get a good growth rate. More important for my hair is the fact that I never detangle it outside of the shower, or with anything but my fingers, never use heat, and don't subject it to chemical processes like perming or chemical dying.

When I tried SLS-free shampoos, on the other hand, my scalp itched and burned constantly. With one brand, it became so bad I couldn't move my hair without pain! So there can be harsher things than SLS, even in supposedly 'natural' shampoos. Ultimately, it's what works with an individual's hair and scalp that is important. Unless it actually carries a real health-risk, it's a bit silly to demonise a single ingredient like this. It's the same with 'cones: my hair hates them, gets greasy much more quickly, and tangles more too - which then leads to more damage. But that's my hair: they're great on other people's.

Amber_Maiden
April 19th, 2012, 06:19 AM
"you’re never without straighteners and you’ve even tried a Brazilian blow-dry to get the perfect sleek look.
Yet your locks stubbornly remain more lacklustre than luscious. Have you ever considered your shampoo might be to blame?"

Still, I'm glad they're getting the message out there. I'm curious to try out some of the alternative shampoos they listed as well! :)

I definitely agree!

Konstifik
April 19th, 2012, 06:25 AM

Imagine an interior magazine writing how to handle your curtains:

"You're never letting a day pass without trying your flamethrower on the curtains, and you even let the cats play with them to get the perfect vintage look. Yet your curtains stubbornly remains broken and discoloured. Have you ever considered your washing machine might be to blame?"

:D

sazzie88
April 19th, 2012, 07:22 AM

"You're never letting a day pass without trying your flamethrower on the curtains, and you even let the cats play with them to get the perfect vintage look. Yet your curtains stubbornly remains broken and discoloured. Have you ever considered your washing machine might be to blame?"

Brilliant :) made me chuckle :)

Siiri
April 19th, 2012, 07:34 AM
"The one we use as a foaming agent — sodium coco sulphate — is derived from coconut,’ says a spokesman for Green People..."

I thought sodium coco sulfate is basically the same thing as sodium lauryl sulfate: http://chemicaloftheday.squarespace.com/qa/2011/9/26/sodium-coco-sulfate.html

Audrey Horne
April 19th, 2012, 07:43 AM
and I just love reading the Worst Rated... :D

Mayflower
April 19th, 2012, 07:48 AM
SLS isn't always a demon-child. I use it, with a good dollop of Biolage on my lengths and ends afterwards, and I wash my hair once every three days. It's curly and very fine, so it won't ever look completely sleek the way straight hair does, but it's bright, shiny, fat and happy. I trim once or twice every year, and can't remember the last time I found a split end. I get a good growth rate. More important for my hair is the fact that I never detangle it outside of the shower, or with anything but my fingers, never use heat, and don't subject it to chemical processes like perming or chemical dying.

When I tried SLS-free shampoos, on the other hand, my scalp itched and burned constantly. With one brand, it became so bad I couldn't move my hair without pain! So there can be harsher things than SLS, even in supposedly 'natural' shampoos. Ultimately, it's what works with an individual's hair and scalp that is important. Unless it actually carries a real health-risk, it's a bit silly to demonise a single ingredient like this. It's the same with 'cones: my hair hates them, gets greasy much more quickly, and tangles more too - which then leads to more damage. But that's my hair: they're great on other people's.

Exactly! I use SLES because my hair is the happiest with a clean scalp. My shampoo is quite natural, with very little ingredients and no parabens and silicones (which don't work for my hair), so I don't see why I should switch products.
The skin on my body gets really dry because of SLS though, so I try to avoid it there. But if my hair's happy with it, I'm glad to keep buying SLS shampoo's.

pepperminttea
April 19th, 2012, 07:51 AM

I thought exactly the same thing. The Daily Fail tends to lack in common sense generally. :p

lapushka
April 19th, 2012, 08:16 AM
So there can be harsher things than SLS, even in supposedly 'natural' shampoos. Ultimately, it's what works with an individual's hair and scalp that is important. Unless it actually carries a real health-risk, it's a bit silly to demonise a single ingredient like this.

So true! :)

nobeltonya
April 19th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I shampoo every morning [only with SLES, not SLS], but I oil every night. Since it's warm now, I'm mainly focusing on the ends, but I regularly oil them. It seems to help tremendously. I also don't leave my shampoo on for more than a minute or 2. And I condition afterward, which I massage into the hair nicely and leave on for a good 5 minutes, at least, while I wash everything.. I've been using GF sleek & shine intensely smooth cream leave-in for the last few months, and that also helps significantly with reducing tangles, keeping my hair soft, manageable, etc.. my hair and scalp are much happier [and smells AWESOME] when I wash every day. :D

Anje
April 19th, 2012, 10:13 AM

So much win, in one little tiny post!

goldenmoments
April 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM

:D very funny.

swearnsue
April 19th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Epic communication win!

pelicano
April 19th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Far be it from me to defend the Daily Fail, but are they not suggesting that drying shampoos are causing women to use worse things like hair straighteners etc in order to remove the frizz - not suggesting that heat treatments etc are fine, and that shampoo is evil?

PrincessIdril
April 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Ultimately, it's what works with an individual's hair and scalp that is important. Unless it actually carries a real health-risk, it's a bit silly to demonise a single ingredient like this. It's the same with 'cones: my hair hates them, gets greasy much more quickly, and tangles more too - which then leads to more damage. But that's my hair: they're great on other people's.

This. To many people like to jump on the "omg this is so evil" bandwagon (not suggesting people here do that, speaking generally) and forget that everyone is different. Like you I use SLS because in my case it actually helps the psorasis on my scalp, but i acknowledge that this won't be the case for other sufferers.

leslissocool
April 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Oh dear... So much fail.
Also: Sodium lauryl sulphate is also most usually derived from coconuts! Another common name for SLS is "saponified coconut"...

yeah, my hair loves coconut oil, and it does so much better with sulfates. When I tried sulfate free, my hair looked dried and oily at the same time! ETA: I also have psoriasis, that might be why sulfates work so well for me...

Straightening you hair every day would do it, and chemical bleach and dye (not deposit only)... But that would make too much common sense...

terylenerose
April 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Far be it from me to defend the Daily Fail, but are they not suggesting that drying shampoos are causing women to use worse things like hair straighteners etc in order to remove the frizz - not suggesting that heat treatments etc are fine, and that shampoo is evil?

What seems to be implied is that highlighting, straightening and Brazilian blowouts will give you perfect hair under ideal conditions.

Not that there is anything actually dangerous about them — the much-repeated internet rumour that they are potentially carcinogenic is a myth.
It is? Since when?

So, if you fancy trying a more gentle shampoo, the key is to look for the words ‘sulphate-free’ on the packaging. This will mean that the product is free from sodium lauryl sulphate and sodium laureth sulphate, no matter what other sulphates appear as an ingredient.
????

leslissocool
April 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM

:spitting: Hahahahaha :rolling: So true!

earthnut
April 19th, 2012, 01:32 PM
When I tried SLS-free shampoos, on the other hand, my scalp itched and burned constantly. With one brand, it became so bad I couldn't move my hair without pain! So there can be harsher things than SLS, even in supposedly 'natural' shampoos.

The substitute ingredient may have been harsher, or you may have been allergic to it. My mom got burning itching acne from her shampoo, and when she switched to a non-SLS shampoo, she no longer had the reaction. She was allergic to SLS. Cocamidopropyl Betaine is the usual substitute for SLS and is more mild, but if you're allergic to it you'll get a more severe reaction than with SLS.

I personally use a Cocamidopropyl Betaine shampoo because it's so mild and doesn't dry out my hair so much, but I'm fine with using either SLS or not, since I'm not allergic to anything.

Miss Catrina
April 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty sure the highlights, straightening, and Brazilian blowouts mentioned have a lot more to do with it than sulfates... But, still, I'm glad people are getting more aware of this.

I feel like in ten years sulfate shampoos won't even exist.

Panth
April 21st, 2012, 05:47 AM
*sigh* It's the Daily Fail.

If you really insist on critiquing it as if it was a serious article, how about this one: there is no mention of 'cones. So, you take people using SLS-laden shampoos and 'cone-laden conditioners and you tell them that SLS is terrible for their hair ... what are they going to do? Change to SLS-free shampoos and not think a thing about the conditioner, resulting in 'cone build-up and unmanageable hair. Resulting in maybe a haircut but almost certainly a misunderstanding that "Oh, my hair hates that SLS-free stuff".

Never mind the idiocy of implying that SLS is damaging hair, whilst bleach, dye, chemical straightening and Brazilian blowouts are just fine.

NymphSpirit
April 21st, 2012, 06:35 AM
hahha oh wow, I can't believe it! People in general are so.. easy to convince!! I'm not saying this note in particular is fake, obviously I know it's not, but really! As long as it was published in a newspaper, beauty blog, magazine or similar people will believe it without even thinking about it or researching! You could publish a note saying that water damaged the hair follicles with a few reasonable arguments (that could even be fake) and most of the people reading that article would consider never touching water again! (this is a kinda dumb example, I know, but it was just to make a point :p)
And then there's the thing that if you, as a single person, tell them the same thing, they'll probably think you're insane or haven't washed your hair in decades and you'll probably get flamed.

Buut anyways, it's a good thing that these things are becoming more public.

Konstifik
April 25th, 2012, 03:32 AM
yeah, my hair loves coconut oil, and it does so much better with sulfates. When I tried sulfate free, my hair looked dried and oily at the same time! ETA: I also have psoriasis, that might be why sulfates work so well for me...

Same here!
I have tried so many times to go sulphate free before, when i heard how supposedly bad it was. But everytime I tried a new sulphate-free regime, both the hair and scalp went on an angry rampage. But also, sulphates aren't the miracle either. While my hair loves it, it leaves my scalp quite dry. But I haven't found anything better to replace the SLS yet. :)