PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Regret Big Chops??

Hyacinth
April 18th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Seeing some of the cute, shorter hairstyles here on LHC makes it very tempting for me to cut back to a bob. My goal, as with many others here, is to grow, grow, grow! I look at LHC as a support community and want to personally prevent myself from cutting as I did in the past and also regretted it. I would like to hear from others who did a “big chop” in their LH journey…
What made you decide to cut?
How did you feel afterwards? Several weeks & months afterwards?
What would you suggest to someone who would like to grow, but is often tempted to cut back to short?
Any other suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, LHC! :)

tiarefleur
April 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I had a big chop, but only for damage reasons. All I would say is that it takes a second to cut, but a lifetime (or so it feels like) to grow back! And in most cases after the novelty of a new style wears off or it grows out a little bit and becomes boring, you're left with some kind of regret/urge to have long hair again (although I'm sure tons of people are happy with short hair)...so if you're having an urge to cut, wait a few weeks to see if the feeling passes before you do anything drastic.

CaityBear
April 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I had a few reasons for doing a huge chop...but it hasn't bothered me mainly because I do plan on growing my hair out again. I don't want to keep it short indefinitely. It's going to chin, where I will maintain for a few months (until I get bored) then I plan on growing it out to about hips or so and maintaining it there.

Amber_Maiden
April 18th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I had a big chop done once- from hip to chin. I didn't mind it at the time, but regretted it after a few months. I did it because I felt violated by men touching my hair, and wanted dot be left alone. Wrong reason for doing it- I should have just learnt a way to keep it up, but that never occurred to me.

Long_hair_bear
April 18th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I cut mine from bsl to shoulder out of boredom last February (2011). Never again! I terribly regret it and have since vowed that id never again cut my hair except or trims! What helps me to keep growing? Watching lord of the rings and seeing all the beautiful elves' hair!

zombi
April 18th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I cut mine from bsl to shoulder out of boredom last February (2011). Never again! I terribly regret it and have since vowed that id never again cut my hair except or trims! What helps me to keep growing? Watching lord of the rings and seeing all the beautiful elves' hair!
Same cut, same reason, different time. Super regret. Oceans of regret in fact!!!! Enough regret to keep me from even trimming since.

NymphSpirit
April 18th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I did that almost two years ago... but now that time passed I don't really regret it; my hair was so abused that I'm sure if I hadn't cut it, today it'd be straw, literally. But it took me some time to understand this.
As soon as I cut the first ponytail I ran crying to my mother telling her I looked horrible!! I was so desperate I bought extensions, even though they're really expensive here!

What helps me to keep growing? Watching lord of the rings and seeing all the beautiful elves' hair!

Hahah that's a fantastic inspiration isn't it?

Mine is... just wanting long hair... I've never had long long hair, and I'm excited to see how it turns out! :p

anemix1005
April 18th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I did once, I had hair btween bsl and waist length, and I walked out of the salon with just 3 inches of hair, I didn't felt any regret at the time but like a year later I did (also because I got a permanent and that just wasn't for me), and now that I have long hair, I regret it the most 'cause sometimes I wonder how long would my hair be now if I didn' had that cut ...

racrane
April 18th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I got it cut because I was asked to for a show. I was playing Nellie in "South Pacific" and it's just the wrong show to have such long hair (I had WL-hip). I did it because I was bored with my hair but I regretted it shortly after the show ended.

I refuse to cut my hair for any show now. There are wigs for that! I just love long hair and don't feel me with short hair.

HintOfMint
April 18th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I've had several big haircuts, all for different reasons.

When I was younger and I didn't care as much about being conventionally attractive (I look leagues better with long hair), I would cut my hair without much thought. I even remember my mother (who had a bob of all things) cringing as the hair dresser took out chunks of my hair. It really wasn't a big deal. I would always feel like growing it out later, but usually it took months if not a full year for that desire to kick in. I also didn't have much desire to grow my hair to absurd lengths.

When I decided to grow out my hair in college, I had one big chop after that decision, but I regretted the damage that led me to do that, not the cut itself.

Since then, the only haircuts I've regretted were small ones where the layers weren't quite right or if I suffered through an obnoxious stylist. Now that I'm more attached to my length, an inch feels like a lot.

annamoonfairy
April 18th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I even regret small cuts!

psychobilly5
April 18th, 2012, 08:42 PM
oh I'm horrible to my hair. I constantly get bored with it and do damaging things to it. I eventually grew it out in my 20's and had hair at tailbone length or so. Then one day I got bored and wanted it red but knew if I bleached out my hair it'd be #1 uneven, and #2 straw at the ends. So I chopped it, went red, and later regretted it. The problem is I love having short hair for cool factor. I live in hot humid Savannah and it's nice being able to wash and go. However it doesn't suit me like longer hair. The only time its convenient really for "style" is when I am dressing for a night out (I tend to do the 50's rockabilly look or the rosey the riveter look.) Having short hair helps with tying on a bandana lol.

But alas there are times when I miss long hair too. Especially ultra long hair. I admit, I loved the attention it drew when it was down. So I'm planning on dealing with the growing out phase and let it do it's thing.

Cirafly24
April 18th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I have had drastic haircuts several times in my life, and I have regretted it every single time. Never again! I can't see myself ever having shorter than BSL-WL hair.

CurlyCap
April 18th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Yes? No? I don't know.

I had long hair all my life. It was always stressed how one needed to take care of hair, that it was a prized possession. In my particular case, it was also pointed out that it was my most beautiful feature, something to be maintained.

I cut my hair because I wanted to see it short, even if I didn't like the result. I...wanted to experience it.

I premeditated my cut for over a year, bought short wigs and wore false bobs. And finally, I decided to do it. I cut my hair in my bathroom and went in two weeks later for a professional cut. I loved it! I didn't like the way it looked; I think short hair accentuates the square lines in my face. But I loved the fact that I had embraced a fear of mine and conquered it. Ever since that cut, I feel that I own my hair, not that it owns me. It's been incredibly freeing.

Since that cut though, I've decided I want to grow my hair long. I love updos and I miss the outreageous styles I could do with curly length. So now I have to patiently wait for it to grow back. That is what is difficult for me and tries my sanity every day, every week. I knew when I cut it that it might take a decade to reach it's previous length and I was prepared for that. I still am. But a decade in theory and a decade of looking in the mirror waiting for my hair to come back are two different sensations.

I don't regret cutting my hair. I learned a lot from it. I'm starting to regret that I didn't see my hair's true value before I cut it. I think when I grow my hair back I'll see it as the time and effort it really is instead of the forced femininity I was taught to view it as.

Perelka74
April 18th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I go for a small trim and cry for a week or two after

BeckyAH
April 18th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I have had cuts that I've regretted and cuts that I didn't regret at all. The cuts I got because I was bored and wants a change, and the ones where I caved to my mother telling me I should cut it? Those I regretted. The ones I had because I liked the style and deliberated and decided it was for me - either for aestetics or ease - I never regretted. The haircut I got last time I got close to waist length and realized I was hiding behind my hair and using it to define me? I RELISHED and loved the heck out of.

thirstylocks
April 18th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I went from waist to chin to cut the damage from bleach...I realize now that I should have had the patience to oil and condition it and trim it off little by little, but I was impatient. I TOTALLY regret it. I look in the mirror every day and don't feel like myself! The first 3 weeks were okay, but I did this back in October and it barely has grown 2 inches. I haven't felt this terrible about my hair in my whole life! Just be sure that it is what you want, and know that once you do it, you can't go back and undo it so easily.

Laylah
April 18th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I've only ever had one big chop - from below BSL to collarbone length. It was not quite intentional... I asked for a small trim and ended up getting a big chop at a chain haircut shop. Before I got it cut, I had always had long hair. The moment I saw it in the mirror I was almost in tears. I regretted it immediately and for months after. I was probably overreacting, but I felt so ashamed and sad after my hair got cut off. It wasn't even a bad haircut, and I probably would have admired it on someone else - but it made me feel ugly until I grew out my hair again. Having long hair again is a comfort for me... yeah, I know, I'm way too attached to my hair. But it makes me feel confident and feminine.

lunalocks
April 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM
2 big chops in my life: the first when I was 10 and allowed my mother to talk me into cutting my waist length hair to my shoulders. it was the first time I had ever been to a salon. He curled it into a flip, and teased and sprayed. I don't know how I ever got all the gunk out. This was the 60's. I think my mom was just tired of putting my straight hair up in pin curls EVERY night (she made me believe straight hair was horrible and I have never seen her without a perm). She took me to a photo booth and let me take pics, but I cried for the rest of the day.

The second time was when I moved onto a sailboat and cut all the perm damage off (this was the 80's). It was above my chin. It was perfect, like a new start and made traveling on the boat easier.

luxepiggy
April 18th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Once when I was maybe 8 or 9, my mom put her foot down and insisted that I cut my classic-length hair to waist. I threw an epic, screaming tantrum, cried the entire time my hair was being cut, and spent the next month mopey and despondent, lamenting how short my hair was.

Needless to say, I was never forced to cut my hair again (^(oo)^)v

Johanna
April 18th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Yes definitely, I've regretted even the smallest cuts. I keep thinking 'I'd be down to here if I hadn't of cut this time and that time'. I just put on Lord of the rings or Ever after and admire all the long hair and any cutting urges waft away.

TheMechaGinger
April 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I cut six inches about just because I got restless (and a few more inches here and there but nothing as major as the six inches all at once), there wasn't anything wrong with my ends or anything. So now I'm actually shorter than I was when I started back in February of 2011 and I'm so mad at myself for it. I can't do hardly any of the amazing updos that I've learned and while my hair is healthier I feel like I haven't made any progress. Now when I see people with long beautiful hair I just imagine how mine could easily be at waist right now and instead it's barely at apl and I just want to punch myself! Never ever chopping again!

PraiseCheeses
April 18th, 2012, 11:49 PM
It wasn't a huge chop, but I had my past-APL hair cut to a chin-length bob several years ago. It was a cute cut and I liked it, but I hated that it needed straightening and blow-drying to look decent. And that was tolerable compared to the fact that I couldn't make a ponytail and constantly had hair in my eyes and mouth. I missed the length, and knew I'd never chop again. As cute as it was, I really regretted that cut.

I consider getting a short wig so I can experience a cute short cut without losing my length. Another option I enjoy is pinning my hair up under a hat so the ends are about chin length. It's a very convincing illusion... as long as the hat stays on!

MagicalMystery
April 19th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I had great growth 2 years ago... and I stupidly decided to bleach out my henna. The result: chopped off about 10 inches. I was devastated. It's finally growing back!!

skaempfer
April 19th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Good question.

My mother hated my long hair and it was a constant battleground. As my dad once commented, she seemed to have gotten stuck in the 1950s. She wanted me to look like a young liz taylor (to put this in perspective, I was born in 1968).

Anyway, after a childhood of belligerence, I grew my hair as an adult. When my mom died a couple of years ago, I chopped it all off. Why? To check if now that my need to fight against it was gone, I might actually like it. I didn't.

Do I regret it? I regret the loss of length, but I think it was worth it to establish that short hair is not for me, rather than wondering. :shrug:

Valfreyja
April 19th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I've had quite a few huge chops! The first one I didn't regret at all, I had hip length hair and was sick and tired of it. Suddenly I just wanted to look like a punky glamrocker, haha. Blame Bowie, Bolan and Siouxsie Sioux for that! I was 17 at the time, and felt that I had plenty of time to grow it out again. My mother almost needed the smelling salts.

Since then unfortunately, I've made bad decision after bad decision and grown it out and chopped it a couple of times. I've been a mess every time. As long as you're doing it for the right reasons and have wanted to long enough, then that's the way to do it. As soon as my hair was long enough to braid, it immediately reminded me of my teenage hair in a long braid and how that felt. That was so reassuring that my desire to cut again has since dissipated.

Springpaw
April 19th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I've had some big chops. The most recent I cut from about BSL to chin. I'm actually quite happy that I did it, because my hair really did look horrible with all the damage... And I've done some other big chops too, most is because somewhere about BSL I get tired of it, and want to cut it!
But I know my hair grows quite fast, and now that I've found LHC I feel like trying to grow it longer than I've ever had it before :)
But I'll probably cut i off to chin sometime in the future again :p

Toadstool
April 19th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I had mine cut really short from BSL a few years ago, and after a few different cuts I love it, and don't know if I will grow it again.

caiti42
April 19th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Every time I cut off my hair I love it, for a week. Then I regret it big time!

kidari
April 19th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Any time I chopped because of severe damage I never regretted it. Anything done out of boredom, impulse, or because I kept seeing really cute shorter cuts I have always regretted.

kidari
April 19th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Every time I cut off my hair I love it, for a week. Then I regret it big time!

This is so true! I'm like that too. I love the change and then it goes to regret with a renewed resolve to grow it back.

Liss
April 19th, 2012, 05:13 AM
I feel as though quite possibly it has been the biggest regret of my life.

I actually feel sick to the stomach going through my albums and seeing how pretty my hair was.

Thankfully it grows back, But to think that it's going to take at least 12 more months before it's even close to APL is hard to deal with.

XcaliburGirl
April 19th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I wasn't sure how to answer this question at first.

I chopped my hair in 2009 to a chin-length bob. I didn't regret that because I wanted to experience short hair.
I chopped my hair in 2011 to a pixie. I didn't regret that because I wanted to experience really short hair.

What I regret is that I didn't go for the pixie in 2009 and experience the chin-length bob after that. It would have saved me a lot of growing from chin to APL in 2009-2010, which was just cut off again.

MonaMayfair
April 19th, 2012, 07:11 AM
It wasn't a huge chop, but I had my past-APL hair cut to a chin-length bob several years ago. It was a cute cut and I liked it, but I hated that it needed straightening and blow-drying to look decent. And that was tolerable compared to the fact that I couldn't make a ponytail and constantly had hair in my eyes and mouth. I missed the length, and knew I'd never chop again. As cute as it was, I really regretted that cut

Me too, almost exactly, except mine was around mid back. I joined LHC shortly afterwards, but had been lurking here for a couple of years.

I loved it at first but very soon got tired of looking after it. Long hair is so much easier. I'd never used hair straighteners before, it would never have occurred to me to buy them, but this cut definitely needed to be poker straight.
After a few weeks I had every intention of growing it out, but had to have it trimmed into the same shape for a play I was in.
Unfortunately, the hairdresser cut it as short as she had the first time, I was furious!
This resulted in me not setting foot inside a hairdressers for just over 2 years, which was this January, because my hair had got past BSL and I wanted some layers. I'd been trimming the length myself (fairly successfully) but wouldn't attempt layering it!

Although I regretted having it cut while I was trying to grow it out again, I'm sort of glad I did it, because I'd always wanted a bob and now I've got it out of my system.

carolyncasl
April 19th, 2012, 08:05 AM
My one "big chop" was cutting 2" from BSL to APL back at the end of 2003. I didn't regret it. The ends had been really ratty and were really bugging me that time. It did feel really weird when I ran my hands through my hair, or when I looked in the mirror. In 2005, I started bleaching it, so then it stopped growing so it never caught up to where it was.

Since joining this site, and not bleaching my hair, and not cutting off an inch every 4 months, my hair is almost back to where it was before I cut it off in 2003. I'm so happy!

One thing I always seem to regret is if I get layers. I like how they look on other people, but when I have them, they don't seem to work. Then they start to annoy me. So I'm never going to try layers again.

I'm glad to have found this site. I learned how to self-trim, so I can just trim off the tiniest amount instead of having to go to the hair cuttery or a salon and have to pay a hefty price just for them to trim off an inch. Both my wallet and my hair are thankful for that.

Hyacinth
April 19th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Although I thought a bob looked good on me, it's not what I really wanted. I was listening to everyone else tell me how I should wear my hair, and not doing what I wanted. So, I did regret cutting my hair, but mostly because I was trying to please. I'm finally over that and I'm excited to see how long I can go :)

door72067
April 19th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I once went from waist to chin to cut off black dye that I HATED

I regretted having dyed my hair black and needing to cut it

I haven't been that long since (probably 10+ years ago)

right now, I know I have a few good chops ahead of me as I cut off dyed hair and aim for virgin

I regret ever dying my hair far more than any cut I have ever had

Mayflower
April 19th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I had one big chop when I was 12 or 13, from waist to chin, and after that to a pixie. I didn't care about hair that much so I really enjoyed it. Just wash and go, and it dried within 20 minutes. I was more of a tomboy back then so this was perfect for me, but my face was feminine enough for me to pull it off.

Another "big chop" was when I was 16 and cut a pixie-short asymmetrical fringe and a big undercut by my left ear. I did it myself and loved it for 2+ years. It has grown out nicely and I'm glad I've experimented with my hair.

So no, I didn't regret my big chops, it was just hair for me and I didn't care for health or length. That being said, I would certainly cry my eyes out if I'd have to cut my hair now:p. It means so much more to me. But who knows what crazy cuts the future brings.

AlannaMaria
April 19th, 2012, 08:50 AM
When I cut my hair from hip to shoulder when I was 12, I didn't regret it. I had had long hair all my life, and having it shorter helped me to learn to appreciate it. It was fun to have something new.

I did regret cutting from shoulder to chin several months later. It had never occurred to me how difficult it would be to style a bob everyday, and I absolutely hated it.

I somewhat regretted chopping from MBL to collarbone, because it was done after a breakup and I had lots of razored layers that weren't always great, but my hair was pretty damaged from flat ironing at that point, so I didn't really care.

Hair is hair, to me. It grows, so have fun with it. I just feel that for me, I have the most fun with longer hair and I feel more like myself. My family actually prefers me with long hair as well, so it's nice to have that support.

Khiwanean
April 19th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I've only done a big chop once, when I was in 5th grade. I chopped from MBL to chin because I was growing out my bangs. I've never wanted short hair, but I didn't regret that chop because I was so sick and tired of having bangs. I definately didn't like the feeling of short hair, mostly because I felt like I was going to float away because of the loss of all that weight, but I didn't regret doing it.

Even for trims of a couple inches I do feel a little sad over the loss of length, but I've never regretted a haircut so much I cried. :shrug: Even though I always feel nostalgic for my longer hair, I ususally feel that the loss of length from trims are worth it for better condition of my ends.

Ravenwind
April 19th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I cut my hair gradually from waist to bsl, then bsl to shoulder length, because my hair was in a really bad condition. I used to straighten all the time and use chemical dyes, and that was back when I didn't really think about taking good care of my hair. It ended up fried and really dry and no matter what treatments I tried, nothing worked. So in January I got fed up and chopped it off - myself. Just put it in a ponytail and hacked away. Now, I wasn't shocked at how short it was, I was shocked at how BAD it looked lol. I got an emergency haircut the next day and got a layered a-line cut. I liked it for the first couple hours, then after messing around with it more, I decided I didn't like the way it was cut, there were too many layers and they were really thinned out. So last month, I had my sister cut it to where it's evened out and not at an angle anymore, and evened out the layers. I kinda wish I didn't cut it because I don't really like having short hair, but I'm really glad it's in a better condition now.

arcane
April 19th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I had to chop off my waist length hair to my shoulders because of damage that just got too out of control when I ended up in the hospital. I had been toying with the idea of chopping it off but I hadn't decided to actually do it when the breakage and damage just got to bad.

I regret it every single day. I feel ugly with short hair, and I knew that I feel ugly with short hair, and wish I was thinking more clearly when I cut it off. I'd rather have length and damage than have it short. Never again.

Way back in high school I cut my BSL+ length hair up to my jaw. I liked it at the time, but I hated it as well. I now know I only did it because of mental health reasons (I tend to go after my hair during bad periods, which is what happened above as well), and if I had been in my right mind I probably would not have done it. It took me several years to start growing my hair again.

terylenerose
April 19th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I'm growing my hair out from a big chop right now. It was about a year ago. I was sick of my naturally ombre, curly, split, tangled hair and wanted it short. Bad idea. I cried for weeks and was really depressed, for one thing. It was a shag cut I did, so pretty layered, and I thought I'd want it that way but I have since changed my mind. I never really liked layers and I'm no good at cutting them either.
I also wonder sometimes how long my hair would be if I hadn't cut it. I was growing my hair out at the time and had gotten to about BSL. It was just starting to feel long and I felt like I cut it off just as it was getting good. Since then I have had no wild urges to chop off my hair. I've learned my lesson.
But maybe it's different for you. This is only my experience. Take it or leave it. :)

jacqueline101
April 19th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I had middle of back length hair got out of a bad relationship and cut it into a short shag.

embee
April 19th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I did an 8 inch chop before joining LHC, and it was a disaster. My hair was still long, but it no longer would go into any updo - the ends were blunt and stuck out like the bristles of a paint brush. I was left with a plain English Braid as my only style for a number of months until things began to FairyTale again. :(

And why did I do this chop? I had been distressed that my skill in updo making was so limited and thought perhaps it would be better with shorter hair. Wrong again. ;)

Snippety
April 19th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I've done three:

1) I let a work colleague and my ex husband talk me into chopping waist length hair into a long bob with a fringe which I instantly detested and began growing out straight away. It wasn't a bad cut, it just looked too "done" to be me. Horrorshow.

2) When my hair got back to waist again I buzzed it off into a crew cut. This I absolutely loved; the freedom and androgyny of it really suited my lifestyle and who I was back then. I was dressing really butch as well and looked hard as nails. I kept it buzzed off for about four years. Then I broke my arm at an Anti-Nowhere League gig and couldn't get to the barber for about eight to ten weeks. I enjoyed the new fluffy hair that sprouted up and decided to see where it would go. By this time everyone knew me as having super-short hair and subverting that was fun.

3) It grew and grew to almost-knee and then in summer 2010 I got really frustrated with myself generally, with being a frumpy mum, and a bit of a hippy scruff. I had a terrible urge to shave it all off but settled for cutting back to waist/hip instead. After a week the novelty wore off and I was gutted. I thought it wouldn't make that much difference as it would still be "long hair" but I was so wrong. It was no longer what I term "freakshow" hair. I was so miserable with the normality of it that shaving again seemed to be the only answer until I joined here and got shedloads of support and encouragement.

Now intending to grow to terminal :D

shutterpillar
April 19th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I've never regretted cutting my length in the past, as it was usually intentional and I wasnt concerned about growing it long.

Now that I am trying for TBL, I am sure anything I did to it other than a trim would be much regretted. But, I cant imagine doing anything other than a trim. lol.

Well... I take that back. I ALWAYS regret cutting bangs into my hair, and that is something I can definitely see myself doing. It doesn't matter how many times I do it and regret it, I never learn my lesson. ;)

longcurlygirl<3
April 19th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah,but for damage/mechanical/straightening damage :( but I am just past waist since then

lacefrost
April 19th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I had several big chops when I was growing out chemical damage. It was necessary but god, I'd be at classic right now! (sigh) Short of that, I trimmed too frequently in 2011. Like all the time. But I am trying to grow out layers so. . .

Lady Neeva
April 19th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I never actually had a big chop that was planned on my own. It was after grade school that I realized that a bob does not look good on me. I remember keeping it on for a couple of years on APL, and now, MBL.

Diamond.Eyes
April 19th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I had my hair cut from classic to shoulder when I was 13. And I very much regretted that once I realized just what I did to myself :doh:. It was not cute. Also, when I was 15 I cut my hair from BSL to chin. I didn't regret that chop at all. I cut off all the damage and cut out all the layers. My hair was very thick and healthy after that.

Mononoke
April 20th, 2012, 04:11 AM
I had waist length hair about 5 years ago, but didn't care much for long hair (just got cuts once in a while), and then about three years ago I cut to shoulder length and maintained between that to APL for about two years. When I decided to grow out my hair last year I regretted cutting it so often before that, because if I didn't it would have already been quite long.

Sammich
April 20th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Yep.... I had far too many big chops, sigh. I just want the length, but I was too obsessed with health.

From hip to shoulder.... T_T

From shoulder to chin.

From waist to shoulder.

From waist to chin.

Gah! Just too many. I keep getting obsessed with changing my hair too.

JellyBene
April 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Yes, when i was 12 or 13 I cut my hair from waist length to jaw length with awful short choppy layers :( it had previously been 1A but for some reason the combination of the cut/the onset of puberty made it suddenly get frizzy, explosive waves. I didn't kbow how to handle this and just wanted my straight hair back so I drenched it in hairspray while wet and tried to brush it straight. The result was sticky, dirty looking clumps. The pictures still make me shudder.

Covet
April 20th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Well the longest my hair's ever been is BSL and the biggest chop I've ever had was about 5-6 inches. So not a BIG chop, but it was a chop! I had to cut it quite a few times because I was (and still am) growing out dye and bleach damage. It took me 5-6 years to finally learn my lession and stop dying. Afterwards, I have to say I felt really happy as it was a huge weight off my shoulders (is that a pun? Haha). My most recent chop was in January and to be honest I didn't want to cut my hair but I had to because it was in such bad condition. I've just accepted its something I'm going to have to do slowly for the next few years :(

What would you suggest to someone who would like to grow, but is often tempted to cut back to short? - I'd suggest you trim slowly. Take a few inches off bit by bit and see how you like your hair as it gets increasingly shorter. That way, you can get used to it, it's not dramatic and you will still have a significant amount of hair left if you decide you don't like it :)

DancingQueen
April 20th, 2012, 07:48 AM
When I was 12, my hair was probably around BSL/MBL. I was bored of it, it was damaged at the ends, and I guess I felt like I needed a change. I rocked the short hair for a while, and I didn't regret it.

At 17, my hair was just above BSL, I think, and I saw a picture on vacation. I went in (I didn't speak the language, and they didn't speak mine) and pointed at that picture. At first, I regretted, because it didn't suit me at all. I did have it for a while though, before my hairstylist back home decided to ignore my wishes and cut it to chin against my will. Then I decided to grow it out.

Overall, I don't regret experimenting. If I had not done that, I would be at 'higher risk' of cutting again later. But Sometimes I do wish I hadn't, then I would probably be at hip by now :)

lapushka
April 20th, 2012, 08:10 AM
The only big chop that I really regretted was when I went from classic to chin (page style) as a young teen. Other than that, well... there have been some haircuts that I regretted, randomly, throughout the years, but not so much because of the length that got chopped off - it hasn't gotten past BSL again until recently - more because of the cut that was terribly wrong.

irishlady
April 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I definitely do, I did it last summer due to excess shedding, but I really miss my hair. It was in great health apart from the shedding :(

Jadecas
April 20th, 2012, 11:15 AM
i got an accidental big chop , went for a trim and the hairdresser apparent mixed me and another up and cut a short bobb,:mad: i am regretting it big time ,i vow no hairdressers! and happily joined the No trimming club 2012!!!
i miss my long hair it was Mid back :steam:scissors::
Positive side:Fresh start on healthy hair growth:eek::wink:

:)shl-APL-BL-MBL-tbl-classic-terminal ??

somethingwicked
April 20th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I'm another one that cut after a hospital stay. Last year, we had a huge wildfire here and literally ran from it with it on our heels, and that did a number on my hair as far as drying it out. The ends were frazzled and singed. A few months later, after we'd come home and started cleaning up, I found out I had to have a hysterectomy. Three days confined to a hospital bed left a HUGE mat in my hair up close to the scalp. I couldn't get the darn thing worked out, and despite people begging me to keep trying and offering help and ideas, I was feeling too good to waste time fighting with my hair so LOP!

I found myself surprising unperturbed after hacking it off. A couple of years ago, I had my tailbone length hair cut back to elbow length because the ends were so ratty, and that was more of a shock to me. I think surviving what we'd survived already made it less of an issue. We lost all the woods on our property in that fire, plus my big beautiful shop and barn, but the house was okay, the car I had to leave was okay, and more importantly, two of the dogs I couldn't get in the car, the cat and the horses we turned out were okay. A lot of my neighbors weren't as lucky. My surgery went okay. I missed the big layoff at work that we were undergoing. Compared to all that, who gives a rip about hair? It grows back!

Plus, frankly, I was sick of seeing Hollywood extensions on everyone, so I think I'd already been mulling the idea of a chop over,

And yes, I AM gonna grow it back - my original chop took it to a chin length bob, which I kinda of liked, but I had a huge chunk closer to the scalp where the mat had been, so as it started growing out, it started looking pretty funky, so I went ahead and trimmed super short. I'm gonna have a little fun with it while there's not a lot to ruin, then start letting her come back in :)

Zenjam
July 8th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Yeah! I have the chops ive had in the past. And i'll never do it again!

I think i did it because i wanted to try something new or maybe have a little bit more shape in my hair, but all i ever did, was to regret it :(

Now im growing out again

Sarahlabyrinth
July 8th, 2012, 11:47 PM
EVERY time I get a chop I regret it - a major one that is.

honeybunnie8
July 8th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I chopped my hair a few months ago from waist to APL. I did it because it was in the way all the time with my ds who was a newborn. I even found hair wrapped around his finger starting to cut off circulation.
I wish I hadn't cut so much off but now at bsl it feel healthier so I guess that's good.

missmelaniem
July 9th, 2012, 01:22 AM
In the late 90s I cut my hair from below bsl to a bob and liked it for a few months and then hated it and vowed never to cut to that length again... and I havent. I've cut it as short as slightly above bsl but not shorter. I'll never go that short again. I just dont feel as good about myself....

tiarefleur
July 9th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Definitely. I chopped off about 6 inches of damaged hair before joining LHC and realizing that I could have gotten by just fine with babying my hair and trimming every so often instead of cutting it all off at once. The only good part was that having healthier hair made me want to take better care of it since the damage was so discouraging and frustrating to look at everyday!

Mesmerise
July 9th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I chopped my hair a few months ago from waist to APL. I did it because it was in the way all the time with my ds who was a newborn. I even found hair wrapped around his finger starting to cut off circulation.
I wish I hadn't cut so much off but now at bsl it feel healthier so I guess that's good.

This happened to me, although the hair was wrapped around my son's toe! I took off his socks and his toe was all white and pale because of the circulation being cut off by my hair!! I felt soooo bad. (Fortunately his toe is just fine, but I did panic when I saw this hair wrapped tightly around it).

Kleine Mädchen
July 9th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I've had 2 'chops' that I've somewhat regretted. The first was about waist length and I did a mini-chop, 3inches or so, out of boredom. Never again!!!! >< The second was a HUGE chop, mid-back all the way to above the shoulders, because of the horrible horrible bleach and dye damage. Although I cried when I did the huge chop, I don't regret it too much anymore since it did a world of good for the overall health of my hair. Its less of a hassle trying to deal with already damaged hair than it is to start over. Plus you get that fresh-cut feeling which I love!

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 02:46 AM
What if you cut, say, 5 inches off? Enough for a change, with less regret perhaps...

I cut off a good bit to a few inches past shoulder as a youngish teen. I'm glad I did. It was an easy way to change my appearance without going too short or too long. I've since cut 5-8 inches off at a time a number of times... usually because my hair was frizzy or damaged. I would prefer not to have cut it. But, I don't want long frizzy gross hair... I want it healthy whether short or long. So, it was for the better.

Perhaps use software to see what you would look like with short hair.

I HATE my hair super short. Looks absolutely hideous. Too guy-ish. I also don't like incredibly long hair on me. Doesn't look right with my shape, and it's just not my preference. So, very short and very long could both be regrets for someone. Shoulder length, however, looks fine. Maybe cut in increments.... 5 inches at a time or something. If you like it shorter, go shorter. No sense in having hair long or short if you dislike it like that.

8armstoholdyou
July 9th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I went into a deep depression when I had a big chop at 18 (a few years ago now!). I went from waist length hair to a 'bouffy' pixie after I awkwardly asked the stylist what would suit me. I felt as if I had lost my identity and felt...exposed. Trying to get used to not having hair behind was very difficult.

However, I did eventually get used to it and had short-mid length hair for a few years. Now, I am at a point in my life where I believe that long hair is now a part of who I am and I will never go back to short. Long hair is magical, feminine and most of all, awesome!

Nymphea
July 9th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Personally, since I've learned how to do self-trims (and self-chops :D ), I've never regretted anything.

Every single time when my chop was done by a hairdresser (and it has always been a "little bit (more)" shorter than I wanted - example: asked for a trim to BSL and got SL!), I regretted it instantly. The biggest one was from almost classic to shoulder and it was a horror.

By the contrary, ever since I'm doing it myself, I've never regretted. I feel like I have a control over my hair and its length, and so I'm fine with chops if I decide to do it. I had two self-chops until now: from TBL to BSL (it was hard, but I needed to do it because of the damage - there was no other way, and I was happily left with a fresh start), and the other time from TBL to waist - also for a fresh start and for a change. I didn't regret, it felt fresh and healthy.

Now I'm at firm hip, approaching TBL again slowly and from LHC I've learned the value of small trims. Well that's something! :D

Natalia
July 9th, 2012, 03:36 AM
What made you decide to cut? Ive never done a big chop but ive considered it since my dyed length and virgin roots has a HUGE color differance. what kept me from it is knowing how much styling maitenance a short cut would require of me with my hair texture and reminding myself of all those awkward aweful looking in between lengths. too short to put up but always in the way, boring blunt end lengths on thin short hair so i can have thick ends down the line...

How did you feel afterwards? Several weeks & months afterwards? Didnt do it and glad for it!

What would you suggest to someone who would like to grow, but is often tempted to cut back to short? Wigs are fun! and think through the long term cost of the cut. layers now means thin ends later. do you prefer your hair up or down can you do that with the cut you want? if not how long will it take to get there?

Nymphea
July 9th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Ok, I don't know if these questions are for me, but since they come after my post, I will answer. :)

What made you decide to cut? Ive never done a big chop but ive considered it since my dyed length and virgin roots has a HUGE color differance. what kept me from it is knowing how much styling maitenance a short cut would require of me with my hair texture and reminding myself of all those awkward aweful looking in between lengths. too short to put up but always in the way, boring blunt end lengths on thin short hair so i can have thick ends down the line...

I cut it because of too dry, wispy ends, and A LOT of splits. And I mean a lot - my hair was so thin at the last few inches that you could actually see through it! And of course, there was tangling, tangling, tangling... And more damage.

The last time (TBL to waist) I cut because I needed a change, and I didn't want to go too short and regret later.

After the hairdresser's chop, I felt awful. I didn't want to wear my hair down for a couple of years, until I was past BSL.

After my self-chops - relieved. I did what I wanted to, I was a little bit sad because I lost my length, but I actually enjoyed going through all the stages from BSL to TBL again - because I wanted to. Last time I chopped I felt great - again, that's what I wanted. For me it is the most important that I have the control of losing length, not someone else!

What would you suggest to someone who would like to grow, but is often tempted to cut back to short?

Wait. Just wait before you are really, really sure.

If you're sure, go ahead! It will grow back.

browneyedsusan
July 9th, 2012, 06:10 AM
nope!

I loved my pixie because it was super short, and stood out from the crowd. I could color it whenever I wanted. I never had hair in my face, never had a tangle, and it looked great right out of the shower.

This probably won't sit well with some members, but hair is hair. It grows back. You're not disfigured. Small children don't shrink from your presence. You haven't lost a hand or foot. You'll make more hair, it just takes a while.

IMHO, there are advantages to having either extreme--long or short hair. It's the no-man's-land in the middle that's no fun. :D

Shiranshoku
July 9th, 2012, 06:40 AM
When I was 5 years old, my mother shaved my head because I had cut my bangs myself.
It was a horrible experience, I got teased a lot at school, and I think that what she did was completely outreageous. I mean, if my kid would have long pretty hair like I did, and cut her bangs, I'd just let it grow. Okay, the bangs looked ridiculous, but those grow very quickly and probably would've looked just fine within two months.

I wasn't allowed to grow my hair long after that because bob length turned out to be more convenient. When I went to secondary school, I refused to let anyone cut my hair against my wishes ever again, and I've stuck to that. Nobody can convince me to do something to my hair that I don't want to :)

That being said, I've chopped of my hair myself a few times and I've never regretted it. I actually really like the thrill of going from long (waist) to short (bob or even pixie). The growing out is a process that sucks sometimes too, but I enjoy the different things I can do with my hair at different lengths.

ETA: I do sometimes 'regret' cutting, because I know how much longer it would be by now if I hadn't. But that's really the only form of regret I ever have regarding my haircuts.

neko_kawaii
July 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM
When I cut my hair from WL to bald I loved it because I really wanted to experience bald. When I cut it again from WL to pixie I loved it because I really wanted a pixie. When I cut it from WL to a pixie because I wanted hair that was easier to take care of I was disappointed because it wasn't easier to take care of and then I had to wait for it to get long enough to braid again to match my mental image of "easy to care for." Now, I want to know how long it can get, so it will probably be a while before I feel like another pixie. It's hair, it grows, it is not tied to my identity, but it can be fun to play with.

lunalocks
July 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I did a big chop - to my ear lobes - some years ago. I was cutting off perm frizz and also was traveling for months on a sail boat. It was like cutting off my old life and starting new. After that life was over, I grew out virgin hair.

CurlyCurves
July 9th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Throughout my life, I have probably BC'd about once every two years or so.

I always regret it.

My last (semi) BC was about Febuary? Never again, I hope. I don't know why I am always cutting my hair when I've always wanted long hair :confused:

CurlyCurves
July 9th, 2012, 04:36 PM
When I was 5 years old, my mother shaved my head because I had cut my bangs myself.
It was a horrible experience, I got teased a lot at school, and I think that what she did was completely outreageous. I mean, if my kid would have long pretty hair like I did, and cut her bangs, I'd just let it grow. Okay, the bangs looked ridiculous, but those grow very quickly and probably would've looked just fine within two months.

I wasn't allowed to grow my hair long after that because bob length turned out to be more convenient. When I went to secondary school, I refused to let anyone cut my hair against my wishes ever again, and I've stuck to that. Nobody can convince me to do something to my hair that I don't want to :)

That being said, I've chopped of my hair myself a few times and I've never regretted it. I actually really like the thrill of going from long (waist) to short (bob or even pixie). The growing out is a process that sucks sometimes too, but I enjoy the different things I can do with my hair at different lengths.

ETA: I do sometimes 'regret' cutting, because I know how much longer it would be by now if I hadn't. But that's really the only form of regret I ever have regarding my haircuts.

How weird is this, my Mum done the same thing! I was about 6 or 7 and cut some bangs. I was living in an all white town, and people made comments about my big curly hair all the time. I wanted to fit in, so I cut bangs to be like everyone else. But they stuck up and looked silly.

My Mum got fed up one morning when I was about to leave for school, held me down and cut off all my beautiful hair.

I'll never forgive her for that. I was heartbroken, ashamed and angry. It was a complete violation of my bodily rights.

She still laughs about it. It wasn't funny.

Tisiloves
July 9th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I have done one big chop from waist to shoulder with a shaved undercut. I kept it for two years and dyed it and permed it, and now I have it out of my system and am never cutting it too short for pigtail plaits ever again (because growing out this undercut is the biggest PITA ever).

Miss. Pilar
July 9th, 2012, 05:18 PM
4 years ago i cut from my hip to shoulder, I have always regretted it . . . please don't cut your hair! :pray:

Tia2010
July 9th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I have done a few big chops over the years..Most were before I was trying to grow long.

I went from almost waist to a pixie...then past BSL to a bob..and BSL to pixie again..All with no regrets. Now though, I would regret that big of a chop.

I did have my hair thinned during a chop a while ago and I instantly regreted that :(

It's funny that I don't regret big chops in real life but if I dream I get a big chop I wake up in a panic. I guess dream me is more easily freaked out than real me :p

secondrain
July 9th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I've had bobs and even a typical guy haircut done by my dad's barber. I like to experience different things so there's nothing to regret.

I wish that I hadn't gotten my hair cut in such deep layers earlier this year when I didn't know how to take care of my hair. I only regret that I didn't learn about you guys sooner ::sniff::

Natalia
July 9th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Ok, I don't know if these questions are for me, but since they come after my post, I will answer. :)

actually i just cut and paste from the op lol but thanks for the info.

kganihanova
March 19th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I'm gonna resurrect this thread in light of my recent BC. I miss the length but I don't regret cutting off my over layered ends. They were making me unhappy and I didn't like them. Hair will grow back and I'm not gonna stay at APL forever, so whenever I get sad, I just think about that :)

Marika
March 19th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I had my tbl hair cut to barely shoulders in June 2012. It took me about a year when I started to regret it. I had lost my interest in hair completely but after a year, I got back into hair growing mode. Now I have about 2 inches to go to waist. My hair grew really fast last year because I was pregnant. And I'm back to my usual trimming schedule = no trimming :p

MadeiraD
March 19th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I once went from thigh length to a bob, I do still regret that... though I think it's good I got short hair out of my system when I was younger.

jupiterinleo
March 19th, 2014, 07:51 PM
My hair at my longest was about the length it is now, hip, back in high school, and I almost exclusively wore it down every day. I also only had it trimmed twice a year, so my ends were probably just a nest. One day I got really sick of it tangling up all the time so I put it in a loose pony a chopped it myself to just above my shoulders. It was neat at first 'cause it really brought out my waves, but as it got to APL I really regretted it. APL to waist is a horrible length on me, as it just poofs and gives me pyramid-head. I cut it shoulder-length again sometime in college for some reason. I'm not gonna be doing that again.

Sometime a couple years ago I was having a bad hair month and got it razored. Like, really long razor-layers. shudder: It was alright at first because it reduced some volume, but man oh man did I regret that later on. So much damage, so many splits all over my head. Just a bad idea for my hair type. I think it's mostly grown out now, though.

MadeiraD
March 19th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Before http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c36/SurrealPinUp/DSC02571.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SurrealPinUp/media/DSC02571.jpg.html)
After: (I was like 15 or 16)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c36/SurrealPinUp/DSC04437.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SurrealPinUp/media/DSC04437.jpg.html)

Now:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9684&d=1394428961

I have some serious damage from colouring and heat styling at the ends

kganihanova
March 19th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Before http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c36/SurrealPinUp/DSC02571.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SurrealPinUp/media/DSC02571.jpg.html)
After: (I was like 15 or 16)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c36/SurrealPinUp/DSC04437.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/SurrealPinUp/media/DSC04437.jpg.html)

Now:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9684&d=1394428961

I have some serious damage from colouring and heat styling at the ends

that is one sassy bob. and that color :cool: That said your hair looks stunning currently though I can kind of see the difference between the ends and the rest of the length.

MadeiraD
March 19th, 2014, 08:58 PM
My plan is to take better care of them and trim a little so I can grow to classic while thickening up my hemline and getting rid of the damage

ProverbsGirl
March 19th, 2014, 09:06 PM
In the past I have always chopped because I felt the long hair was too much work. That was because I did not know how to properly care for it...the LHC way.
In the past when I would chop..I would like it for anywhere from five minutes to five weeks and then hate it and decide to grow it out again.

Rachel J
March 19th, 2014, 09:50 PM
I went from BSL to a short pixie cut in high school. I remember coming home crying and saying, "All of my hair is gone!" I learned to enjoy having short hair and I got a lot of compliments on it, but now I always think about how long my hair would be if I hadn't of cut it. :rolleyes: My advice to anyone who has the urge to chop their hair off is to think about it for at least a month before getting it cut, and if you do decide to cut it take baby steps. I think the drastic difference shocked me too much. I'm just happy to have some length again :)

HoneyDayTripper
March 20th, 2014, 02:02 AM
I had super healthy very long hair, but I got fed up with untangling it so slowly and carefully every night. It would take me 30 minutes at least. Then if I washed it the drying time took forever. I realized I was spending so much time on my hair I wasn't paying attention to my other hobbies and projects, like my writing. I chopped it to collarbone length and loved it for a few months, but then I started looking at old pictures and regretting the cut. Now it's around a year since I started growing it out and it's almost at its length from before the chop-- maybe 3 inches away.

I realized to solve the problem I need to wear it up at least every other day. Before I was wearing it down almost every day, but that resulted in crazy tangles. So by braiding it, I actually have time for other things than all the untangling lol.

Here was my hair before the big chop. http://i.imgur.com/CkDDC.jpg

Next time you think about chopping, just look at some pictures of your good hair days. I don't know how long I'll go though-- I'm thinking waist length might be enough for me-- any more than that might take too much time.

two_wheels
March 20th, 2014, 02:36 AM
I don't regret mine. I spent months trying to remove henndigo and my hair was trashed. Pixie time! Hoping to be back where I started by the end of this year, 3 years from pixie.

LauraLongLocks
March 20th, 2014, 06:04 AM
I had my hair between a pixie and collarbone all through my childhood and teens. As an adult, I grew it out to about MBL and wore it down all the time, and I was most certainly bored with it. Then my family got lice, and with no one to pick my head, I decided to chop mine to a pixie on an impulse. I felt naked. I didn't like it much, but everyone told me how young I looked and that my new haircut took 10 years off my face (I wasn't yet 30 years old, so I wondered how I looked like a teenager again with my short hair... I think it actually aged me). I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it short or grow it out again, but decided I missed my long hair, so I grew it out. This time around growing it out, I was taking care of it properly and when I got to about MBL, the boredom had set in, so I looked for different styles, re-discovered LHC (before my chop I found the long hair care site, a precursor to LHC), and got serious about growing my hair, and decided on a super length for my goal. If I hadn't cut my hair short, I may never have gotten serious about growing it out, so while I regret the decision (because I could have been at knee length now), I am glad that I know what I want now. I'm never going back to short again. In fact, my hair is not long enough yet at WL.

kganihanova
March 20th, 2014, 08:18 AM
I spent my teens growing and chopping and growing and chopping. It was what I wanted at the time and it grew back quickly anyway. I am so glad I got all those "trendy" cuts out of my system. It would've felt worse to not experiment and than wonder. I still really want to try a pixie. So maybe after I'm done with long hair, I'll pixie for the experience.

ravenreed
March 20th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Eh, I have had several big chops over the years and never regretted one. I find something to enjoy about every hair length. I am glad that I have experienced short hair so I am not always wondering what it would be like.

Number 3
March 20th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I had long hair for years about 8-9 years doing minor trims. So the big first chop I cried lol. But now I've chopped it about 3-4 times with no regrets, probably got used to it.

untangleme
March 20th, 2014, 08:13 PM
It wasn't planned, exactly, but UGH. About 2 years ago, I let a girl I sort of barely knew (long story) cut my hair, because she claimed she had been to "hairdressing school." I asked her to take off 1 or 2 inches. How many did she actually take off? EIGHT :angry: I had hair that was about 2-3 inches past BSL, and it was POOF! GONE. She cut it so that my hair was above my shoulders. I was so mad. I have no idea how 1-2 inches turns into 8, but on the bright side, I got rid of a bunch of damaged hair. Luckily, it has grown back almost completely.

untangleme
March 20th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Oh wow.... COMPLETELY missed the point of this thread :doh:

see_turtle
March 20th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I chopped from waist to shoulder two days after my wedding in '12....I instantly regretted it and still do...if I had only trimmed I'd be at tailbone by now.....sigh....I'm an inch past BSL now and 8 months from waist...then it is on to uncharted territory. I will never chop again I can say that for certain....I never want hair above BSL again

shaybabe8604
March 20th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I did a big chop back in 2009. I had major breakage at my crown area so I decided to stop relaxing my hair and go natural. I hadn't done nearly enough research and so I thought the only way to go was to do a big chop. I let it grow out for about 12 weeks and then I cut off all my relaxed hair! I had not ever cut my hair (besides trimming) before that. It was traumatic! I cried when it was finished. And then it took seemingly forever to get a decent length. My curly hair was subject to major shrinkage and even after growing it out for months it still seemed soooo short. I grew it to MBL and then got sick and had a pretty big setback. I cut it between chin length and shoulder length and now I'm almost back to bsl with no plans for cutting in the near future.
As of recently I've gotten more patient with the growth process by wearing my hair up 99% of the time. I've stopped doing length checks for the most part. I straighten my hair for my birthday, and Christmas and I check my progress then. It's much easier said than done, but ignoring my hair aside from regular care works best for me. Benign neglect! That's how I keep from being tempted to cut/straighten/process my hair.

patchoulilove
March 20th, 2014, 10:37 PM
I instantly regretted it and still do...[...]I will never chop again I can say that for certain....I never want hair above BSL again

This is exactly how I feel: see_turtle says it well!

I wrote about the experience I had in my blog, OP, if you are interested.

:blossom:
patchoulilove

Ravenwind
March 20th, 2014, 10:45 PM
When I chopped off my hair 2 years ago.. you bet I regretted it. But now my hair is thick and healthy, so I'm glad I did it now. I chopped it into a VERY layered angled bob, so it was very short to me. I hated it a couple hours after I got it done. I just got so fed up with how dry and damaged my hair felt, I just cut it off. But I always think back, and wonder how long my hair would be now if I never cut it. I'd probably be at my goal length! Buuut it wouldn't be as healthy and manageable as it is now. My hair is also naturally wavy and kinda frizzy so having such short hair and layers turned my hair into a puff ball. Hated it so much.

I still have the urge to cut my hair back to shoulder length so my hair would be all virgin and my layers would be gone. But I really want to reach my goal length (reaching tailbone). Thinking about how much longer it's gonna take me to get to my goal length if I keep cutting my hair back is what keeps me from cutting it. If you REALLY want a change, I'd think about it for a while, maybe try bangs or some layers, or cut a little at a time so it's not a huge shock. Also try doing more updo's to keep your mind off of it and not have the urge to cut it. :)

ErinLeigh
March 21st, 2014, 01:33 AM
I don't regret the big chops to remove damage..but I regret the actions that led to the big chops if that makes sense.

Nope
March 21st, 2014, 12:09 PM
I chopped from APL to pixie about a year ago because bleach. :rolleyes: I don't regret it; I was frustrated with my decision during the awkward-mullet-flippy stage, but I just kept reminding myself "it's healthy and soft now. It was awful when it was longer. You needed to do this."
Sometimes I wonder if I could have saved it if I had known about how to fix protein overload at the time, though. But I do love my hair short and soft.

Callque
March 22nd, 2014, 01:46 AM
I cut my HL hair to just above BSL and really don't regret it. I cut out a significant amount of damage and my hair was so manageable and healthy and I loved having a style to it. My hair is now WL and it was doing great until I decided to dye it red a few months ago. As soon as my roots came in I dyed it back to my color because I didn't want the upkeep. I ended up dyeing my hair multiple times to get the color I wanted and now I have lost the shine to my hair and have breakage all over and a plethora of split ends. I definitely DO regret doing that. :o

hanne jensen
March 24th, 2014, 03:33 AM
I bitterly regret my big chop of July 2013. If I had taken the time to think it through, I could have just had a layer cut into my hair to get rid of all the canopy damage and had my layer trimmed every 3 months. I'd be at hip by now. I'm stuck back at APL.

blue_eyes
March 24th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I had a 'big chop' done in grade 8. I went from BSL (which is the longest my hair had ever been at the time) to a chin length bob. It was cute and looked good on me, and I actually kept it for 3 or 4 years...but then I got bored. I'd always wanted very long hair, so I began growing it again...and it sucked. Just getting to APL was painfully slow, and even then it still felt so short. But I never really regretted enjoying the bob for a few years.

I had to have my WL hair cut to APL about 7 months ago due to breakage/damage and I was really upset about that. It was my own fault, trying to go from dyed black hair to blonde. I regretted ever attempting, it was not worth it. I was almost in tears. All those years of growing out my bob, only to end up at APL again :( If I had known I never would have bothered and would have just kept my long dark hair. Anyway, I learned my lesson.

PurpleSunshine
March 24th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Six years ago ( in 8th grade) I was at hip length hair, it was decent, pretty thick and not much damage since I never use heat or infrequently dyed it. My mom would have to hold me down to brush it since my scalp was pretty sensitive at the time, and at that length it tangled like nothing else, would have to brush it multiple times a day to combat it. So I chopped it to chin length. I regret it now, since it would add so much length to my hair (which is nearly classic now), plus I had to go through the major tangling length for me, which is about waist length, my hair rarely tangles now, and I brush about once a day or every other days. I hated my hair when it was like that and just let it grow out from there.

tommyboy
March 24th, 2014, 10:19 AM
What made you decide to cut?
Went short bc I felt like maybe I wanted a change after having long hair for 5 or 6 years, (i'm a guy) and so I cut it back to a standard guy cut. I took a bit to get used to but I did enjoy it for a few weeks, but within probably about 2 months or so I really regretted doing it and wanted to grow it back out. You can always grow it back, but it takes time as I am finding out and can be frustrating. The one thing is that if I hadn't cut it short I wouldn't have realized how much I like having long hair. This time I am not tempted to cut at all and just want it long. I would definitely take pause in the future if the urge ever came and give it a few weeks.

~honeyflower~
March 24th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I didnt regret cutting off damage and evening up the bangs. I did miss my length

88Marisa
March 24th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I did a big chop several years ago when my hair was nearly BSL to cut off a bunch of dye damage several years ago, when my virgin hair was long enough that I could sport a shoulder length cut (I'm not someone who can look good in a pixie). I don't regret it, the texture between my dyed hair and my virgin hair was pretty noticeable and even though I found it annoying to keep my hair out of my face again, I managed with headbands and clips and it was nice to have hair that wasn't 2 toned even if it was shorter than I would prefer. I also don't have as many split ends as I used to and generally it's just easier to care for. My hair is just now getting back to the pre-chop length and I appreciate each little mile stone along the way. I know that long hair is a long term commitment, so I decided to enjoy each stage of growth and enjoy the journey, not stress over how long it's taking to get to my goal length. I'll get there eventually.

Arciela
March 24th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I did a big chop and didn't regret it much! I cut it to just above APL in November to get rid of the last of my bleach damage. It is at "Can I call this BSL?" already :) Hehe it is growing out fast, natural and healthy now! No more two toned hair with two different textures..that always drove me crazy :flower:

Of the Fae
March 24th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I regret it!
I did a mohawk and have finally graduated to a chin length bob-ish.
I wish I still had my BSL length flaming red hair......but I get impulsive and was so frustrated with the brushing!

Do what feels right for you, if you are an impulsive person, be careful!!

eha
March 25th, 2014, 01:25 AM
i just did. las week. my hair was simply too damaged. and you know what i found out? that i look much better with a pixie. i would never have believed it. but i do. and my hubs sais i look like myself now :P whatever that means

Toffeemonster
March 25th, 2014, 01:40 AM
I haven't done it myself but have known a couple of people over the years who did, and I swear they fawned over my hair afterward. They both said they regretted it terribly. They'd just done it to see what it was like to have a different hair style, for a change. Thought it would be cute etc I decided I'd never do a big cut based on their experiences, although many years later I did consider it due to my hair being in bad condition.

JessicaAnn
March 25th, 2014, 07:54 AM
I regretted getting my chop done when I did it. I wasn't having a good time of life. I had actually gotten some really heartbreaking news the night before. And 12 hours later I was in a chair getting over a foot of hair chopped off. I was ready for a haircut. I had been planning to donate my hair for a couple of years and I was getting tired of taking care of the super length. I just wasn't prepped for something that drastic and wasn't able to emotionally handle it at that time.

Alassea
May 20th, 2017, 08:52 PM
I chopped off my thigh length hair two years ago because I was tired of taking care of it and it seemed to not be growing much more.
I then grew it out to tailbone length again only to chop it again to above waist in order to bleach it blue.

I regret it big time. My hair has gone back to black, but now I have to start from waist (square one) again! :mad:

Aredhel
May 20th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Oh yes. I had my hair a little past classic maybe 6 years ago and I had it all chopped off (and layered) to hip to highlight, bleach and dye over the next few years after that. Big mistake that I'm still suffering from the consequences of now. You live and learn. :)

Ondine11
May 20th, 2017, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure that regret is the right word; it was more of an emotional collapse. My hair was SL with some damage. Then, a hormonal change left me with thinned out areas & even a few bald spots, & a badly receding airline. I was depressed & distressed. I had no choice but to bog chop into a chin length Bob with bangs. It was thin, 90% of the damaged hair was gone, people thought it was cute, but, I felt humiliated. I didn't look like myself, or a version of me that I liked.

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 20th, 2017, 11:11 PM
I do and I don't. I know I should have cut all that hair off. But sometimes I wonder what it would have looked like or how long it would be if I just done little trims here and there.

Corvana
May 21st, 2017, 02:35 AM
Not really. While I do wonder how long my hair would be now if I'd not cut it from BSL to shoulder back in 2011, I usually debate my hair decisions (and other things like tattoos and piercings) for at least a week, if not a month or two. Probably due to my anxiety XD I always want to be 100% sure in my decision!! That's why it took me a full year to fully decide to grow my hair out, because I wasn't sure I was sure I wanted it. So I tested that desire by growing the top longer, and then deciding maybe I wanted a long mohawk? And during the mohawk growth I realized that no I wanted it all long for sure, and not just where I'd had it before, but to my waist!

I'm glad for my caution with this sort of thing, though. It really helps XD I'm generally impulsive, but something that lasts longer? I get anxious just thinking about doing something like that without careful thought ;A;

hayheadsbird
May 21st, 2017, 03:41 AM
Yes and no. I'm not a big salon visitor, so regularly go a few years between cuts/trims. Any time I've done a big chop I've missed being able to put my hair up in different ways, but I've not regretted it at the time. In the last 17 years I've had 3 or 4 'big' cuts, from BSL or there about to chin normally. I do wonder, if I hadn't had it cut and had kept growing how long it would be now. The last one was 2014, and a tidy up trim that took a couple of inches in 2015. It takes about 2/3 years for me to go from chin to mid back I think, so if I had missed out just one chop I'd be looking at tbl ish length, possibly chasing classic. So not regret, but now I'm trying for much longer hair I wish I'd started sooner.

lapushka
May 21st, 2017, 08:38 AM
I chopped back to hip from classic last November. I definitely could have gone slightly less scissor-happy. Anyway, I'm currently regrowing and it is nearing TBL nicely (one piece is actually).

Groovy Granny
May 21st, 2017, 08:45 AM
I kind of regret my 2 chops from hip to waist last year; then again...the first chop rid me of the last of my layers (the 2nd relieved the heaviness) :hmm:

Someone pointed out I may have 'seasonal length preferences' (my phrasing)....longer @ Hip in cold seasons, and a bit shorter for the Summer@WL.:thumbsup:

It makes sense actually; there is no need for me to stay with a determined length year round. :shrug:

So I will play my trims and dustings by ear, month to month and season to season :flower:

H o n є y ❤
May 21st, 2017, 10:30 AM
Nope! I'm actually very happy I big chopped in August now .

MoonRabbit
May 21st, 2017, 10:34 AM
My big chop needed to be done so I could grow my hair out as healthy as possible. It sucked at first,now almost two years later I am very happy I did it.

SnowDancer
May 23rd, 2017, 09:01 PM
I cut my waist length hair into a pixie a few years back. I liked it for maybe 20 minutes and hated it til it grew out.

I just don't feel like myself with short hair.

I recently did a trim and only took 1-2 inches of damaged hair off and I regret that. It needed to go, but still, I miss the length.

spidermom
May 24th, 2017, 08:56 AM
In the past, I've regretted haircuts so much that it was agony growing my hair back out. Now that I've grown my hair out to classic length and lived the hassle of having wet hair hanging all over me for hours until it air dried in cold weather, looking like a stern old granny in my buns, and fighting a never-ending crop of split ends, I love my shorter hair. I have not one iota of regret in the 5-6 months since I got it cut.

Joyful Mystery
May 24th, 2017, 12:26 PM
I had my nearly WL hair cut into a bob. It was an impulsive decision that I regret very much. I struggle with skin sensitivity and trying to find hair care products that my hair and skin agree with was frustrating. I thought I'd be okay but I was not! It took me 3 months to get over the initial shock of what I had done.

I did finally find products that work. Thank goodness. It only took me 4 years :rolleyes:

unheardletters
May 24th, 2017, 12:32 PM
I've had 2 big chops since I joined here. First was November 2012, I cut it from hip length to pixie. I cut back to pixie again in April 2015. My problem was that I didn't know how to wear my hair up. I don't like my hair touching my face, which. Cutting my hair short did not solve this problem at all. I always cut my own hair and I didn't really consider the consequences before just cutting it all off. I regretted cutting almost immediately after I did it. I won't let myself do that again. No more short hair for me. It is too much work to wash it, blow dry it, and style it every morning before I can do anything. The convenience of washing once a week and putting it up in a minute works better for me.

Cherriezzzzz
May 24th, 2017, 08:17 PM
I've had my hair waist length a couple times. I guess I'd say I do regret cutting a ton (collarbone) instead of being patient, jjust bc I was wanting to grow out layers. Any length now and I'll be content. (Now just to repeat that to myself a trillion times as it grows back long!) I still have some layers I wish weren't there.

moxamoll
May 24th, 2017, 08:22 PM
I have done three big chops in my life (from waist or longer to chin or shorter) and I've never regretted it. But I think part of that is being honest with yourself about what you do or don't like about both "hair states". A lot of it, for me, is what I'm doing at that stage of my life and whether my hair is making me happy while I do it? For this last chop, I'd lost about 40% of my volume to sheds and the depression caused by the thin braids and small buns made dealing with the tangles, making sure it was up to protect it, etc. to be work instead of fun. If I'm not enjoying it, why bother???

Mrstran
May 25th, 2017, 07:40 AM
I don't regret cutting my hair off, I just regret cutting so much of it. I should have given myself an inch.

Reyn127
May 25th, 2017, 07:09 PM
This may be kind of an unpopular stance here, but honestly, I have more regret for all the length I've lost from over-trimming the past few years, than I regret my two most recent big chops. Here is why--

I really wanted my big chops, they were fun at the time, and also somewhat necessary to my hair's health. The first time, I cut from about waist to chin, I was just a 12 year old who was tired of having so much hair. It was super fun, super different from what I had had before, and it gave me a chance to try out a lot of new styles during an age that I was figuring myself out. I never regretted that a bit. The second time, I was 16, I had been dyeing it, and I decided that it was too much work to continue. I also didn't want to deal with growing it out, so I shaved my head. I never really missed that hair because it was not in good condition, but there were a few things I wasn't entirely happy about. One being that it upset my grandmother that I had no hair, I just felt guilty that I made her sad. Also, I came to realize that having short/no hair made me look heavier, just by default. Neither of those things came along with any regret, but now I know what minimum length I would really be happy with.

But, what I really DO regret is basically cutting off over half my growth in trims for the two years before I found the LHC. I probably trimmed off 8 inches over two years, more than half of which was pretty unnecessary, looking back.

Dark40
May 28th, 2017, 04:45 PM
I had a big chop back in 1985, and I do regret getting. Because, I feel by now my hair would be a lot longer than MBL now.

MotherofJames
May 28th, 2017, 04:56 PM
I do!!! I had a big chop a couple years when I was at WL and I REGRET it big time. I've had the worst growth issues after that. Also, after my hair grew long after my pregnancy in 2008, I cut it off. So silly! Pregnancy allowed me to grow beautiful hair . I regret ever chopping it off after that !!

Aredhel
May 28th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I just happened upon some old-ish pictures of me last September and realized that I had chopped my hair to just past WL then, from BCL, just because I was discouraged by my fairytale ends... I'm slightly saddened to think about how long it could have been by now if I'd just left it alone.:p

SimplySmile
March 8th, 2019, 02:16 PM
I regret my big chop!!!

TBL - BSL

It is weird but the misery of other people regretting their big hair cuts is comforting to me.

It is nice to not have to go through it alone.

:)

Sparkles122
March 8th, 2019, 03:25 PM
I went from hip length possibly BCL to BSL 4 months ago. Im still miserable over it.

desisparkles
May 29th, 2019, 05:14 PM
I went lap length to pixie. I kept it short for 2 years as I'd had it super long (well to me) for probably a decade at least. And I never briaded or did a fancy bun or used anything but a scrunchi. So yeah, I regret cutting it and always cutting in sooo many many many layers in because I'm curious as to where I'd be right now if I hadn't.

hannabiss
May 31st, 2019, 04:03 PM
The only one I regret is a chop I did when I was 18. My hair in high school was TBL and then I chopped it after my first born. If I had never done it I think my hair would be TBL to this day.

JackintheBox
May 31st, 2019, 05:38 PM
I recently went from between waist/hip to APL. I do miss things about my longer hair but I also like aspects of my new length. In the end I wanted to make the change and I don't regret it. It has been a good learning experience and I'll appreciate the length more when its back.

Ligeia_13
June 1st, 2019, 04:49 AM
I cut my hair up to my chin a few years ago- went from hip length to the shortest in the back being a few inches long. I loved it at the time and when it was growing out, but now I'm back to no man's land - just below apl -I very much regret it.