PDA

View Full Version : Using Argan Oil for Gray/White Hair

Sewas
April 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I wanted to share my recent experience with argan oil. I read so many good reviews about argan oil so I purchased "One 'n' Only"Argan Oil from Sally's. My dry, gray hair loved it. It was smooth, shiny, and silky and I got many compliments. Then one day about 6 weeks later, I noticed my usual silvery white hair was turning a dingy yellow color. It has taken another month of using purple shampoo to finally remove the yellow. I finally found something else from Sally's called "Ion Repair Solutions" which is a blend of argan oil and babassu oil and is clear. It is a little heavier but does add shine and smoothness to my gray hair and has no fragrance. I do still miss using the argan oil from Sally's....which was lighter and smelled very nice. However, I have put that product to good use on my elbows, knees, and feet which are very soft now and smell yummy.

spookyghost
April 18th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Wow-I didnt realize it could do that to grey hair. I bought the same argon oil from Sallys too and I really liked it but I heard that pure organic 100% argon oil works even better so I purchased a bottle of it and I love it. I have ash blond hair with bleach highlights(I know-what was I thinking!:p) And my bottle from Sallys is just collecting dust but now Im going to use it on my feet and elbows! What a good idea. I also just bought some xtra dark jamaican castor oil and some say that it can darken hair but I dont mind if it does. I just wish they smelled a little better. The pure oils sometimes have a smell to them. Not really bad some say an earthy smell. Im thinking of adding a tad of lavender oil to it:)

Springgrl
April 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM
That is a good idea to add a little lavender oil to the Argan oil! I bought some 100% pure Argan oil and it doesn't smell great. It doesn't smell bad... but it is still a little strange.

Honeyfall
April 18th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Argan is my favorite oil, I've noticed my hair seems to drink it in much faster than anything else (1 - 2 hours, as opposed to a solid 12 hours for coconut oil) but I had no idea it could stain the hair! I wonder if the absorption rate is somehow connected? If something is left on the hair shaft or...? I don't know. If I had gorgeous silver hair I would be less than pleased with a yellowing effect.

Glad you managed to get your color back, and I hope the new oil blend is a keeper!

gabee
April 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I don't think that the product is pure argan oil... Perhaps you'd have more luck with just plain argan oil.

I got mine from hennasooq.com

Sillage
April 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I don't think that the product is pure argan oil...

Def not pure argan oil. Here's the ingredients list for One n Only Argan Oil:

Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Fragrance (Parfum), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Yellow 11 (CI 47000), Red 17 (CI 26100)

spookyghost
April 18th, 2012, 07:24 PM
That is a good idea to add a little lavender oil to the Argan oil! I bought some 100% pure Argan oil and it doesn't smell great. It doesn't smell bad... but it is still a little strange.

I oil my hair every other night and on the same night I put on a sunless tanner! My husband calls me stinky on those nights:lol: Mostly because of the sunless tanner though. He's ok with the pure oils I use because he cant really smell them unless he burrys his nose in my head!:p

Does it matter if I oil my hair when its dry? I dont want to wash my hair and put the oil on damp hair just to have to wash it out the next day. Will my hair absorb the moisture?

Sewas
April 18th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone for all your input. Thanks, Sillage, I need to remember to read the ingredients on products from now on. Now I know what to watch for. Do you know if pure argan oil is clear or golden-colored? My hair must be extra porous and it just soaked up that yellow additive. I do have my old standby...a jar of pure, organic coconut oil...which does add shine..but doesn't soften like argan.

Sewas
April 18th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Thank you gabee for directing me to that website. I will order a sample today, and see how it goes...maybe use it on some locks of white hair that are underneath at first to see if they change color. Hope it works!

Sillage
April 19th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks, Sillage, I need to remember to read the ingredients on products from now on. Now I know what to watch for. Do you know if pure argan oil is clear or golden-colored?

You are very welcome :D

The argan oil I have has a golden color but it's organic, cold pressed and unrefined (got it from Garden of Wisdom). A more refined argan oil might be clear but I'm not sure.

BrightEyes
April 19th, 2012, 04:41 PM
This is good to know. I have pure argan oil that is light yellow in color and I will sometimes use it on my highlighted hair. From now on I'll just use it mixed with coconut oil as a pre-color treatment.