PDA

View Full Version : I just can't believe it!

anemix1005
April 18th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hi! I've been hearing a lot of people, including my mom, telling me to put up my hair if I go out in the city, when I asked why, she told me that there are a lot of thieves that are now creating a new way to "steal", they grab the hair of women with long hair and cut it to sell it as hair extensions! :mad: I mean, this city is already dangerous and now I can't even go outside with my hair down!? :( I hate this, I hope it's just a rumour but I've heard it from shop owners who work in the center and they say it's true, it happens near their shops :confused: should I wear my hair like that or wait until I know if it's true or not? :shrug: I'm confused AND scared! :run:

massdestruct
April 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Wow that really is scary... I'd definatley wear your hair up if I was you! it would absloutely crush me if someone cut my hair :-|

Honeyfall
April 18th, 2012, 02:05 PM
How awful! It's certainly not worth the risk of wearing your hair down. Even if it only happens occasionally, you don't want to be the person it happens to, right?

That said, that's insane! How desperate would you have to be to risk getting attacked by someone for their hair? I know I would be out for blood if someone came near mine. :demon:

anemix1005
April 18th, 2012, 02:24 PM
yeah, I never tought someone would tought of something like that! and I'm like the perfect victim, I have virgin hair that reaches my hips now :( so I'm starting to think it's better to wear a bun everytime I go out :/ but I feel I have no freedom at all, I mean, I can't decide how to wear my hair because of this violence!! :(

PrincessIdril
April 18th, 2012, 02:37 PM
:ponder: Has there been any news of this from official sources? e.g. newspapers, local news etc? Because if the only people who know about this are shopkeepers, I would doubt the truth of this.
I know if something like this was happening where I lived my University would be issuing warnings to female students, it would be in the local paper etc. :flower:

Covet
April 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I've heard of that happening to girls in Brazil :(

Hyacinth
April 18th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I never would have thought that we would need to protect our "investment" this way! :shrug:

holothuroidea
April 18th, 2012, 03:23 PM
If I wasn't in the habit of wearing my hair up, I would leave it down.

I refuse to change my peaceful habits for the existence of creeps and jerks.

Just be aware of your surroundings and the people around you close enough to touch your hair. Just be prepared.

buttercupmcgee
April 18th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I live in NYC and had MBL hair for years--this never happened to me or anyone I know, and we travel in CLOSE quarters with strangers, day in, day out. You could always twist it up if you're on a bus or some such, but I don't think someone's going to come running at you from 50 feet away as you lay in the park or anything.

rock007junkie
April 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I've heard of this happening a lot in Latin America. It's pretty scary

Rhodugune
April 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM
That's pure evil!!! :disbelief
I never heard of anything like this, I'm so mad!

I don't get how people can be so selfish and greedy and willing to destroy others means to feel good about themself for money.

Just don't let them stop you enjoying your hair, or those kind of people truly will have won, making this world a place less friendly and good!

heidi w.
April 18th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Hi! I've been hearing a lot of people, including my mom, telling me to put up my hair if I go out in the city, when I asked why, she told me that there are a lot of thieves that are now creating a new way to "steal", they grab the hair of women with long hair and cut it to sell it as hair extensions! :mad: I mean, this city is already dangerous and now I can't even go outside with my hair down!? :( I hate this, I hope it's just a rumour but I've heard it from shop owners who work in the center and they say it's true, it happens near their shops :confused: should I wear my hair like that or wait until I know if it's true or not? :shrug: I'm confused AND scared! :run:

Your mother is correct. It's still somewhat rare, but it does happen. Part of this depends on where you live. If you lived in Chicago area, you wouldn't wear your hair down as it's either incredibly humid or so windy that it whips your hair around. Wearing hair up almost all the time is one of the better things you can do for the care of your hair. I wear my hair up almost all the time, even at home.

It's been nothing but beneficial. I don't need to show my hair off; it's no one's affair but mine. (If I wore my hair down, I might be followed, and certainly I'd be stopped everywhere I go with people's questions. Some days I might get nothing done but answer people's questions, or just say thank you. So at the end of the day, I'd report, "All I did all day was say Thank you." LOL. No, truly, when hair is this long, people just can't help themselves. And this amount of hair in the wind is a fearful sight.)

So, here we go: if you wait to find out if it's true, and it is, what is the result of that idea? (Cut off hair? Is that what you want?)

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM

I don't get how people can be so selfish and greedy and willing to destroy others means to feel good about themself for money.

Just don't let them stop you enjoying your hair, or those kind of people truly will have won, making this world a place less friendly and good!

Maybe they're hungry? and need the buckolas? (Being somewhat silly here.) People who behave like this don't think about anyone else and their feelings. They aren't functioning as you are. Look at drug dealers. There's a kind person, right?

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM

It's been known to happen in movie theaters, another reason I rarely go to movies, and I never, ever wear my hair down. I don't need to be terrorized. I have enough problems.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 18th, 2012, 04:11 PM
yeah, I never tought someone would tought of something like that! and I'm like the perfect victim, I have virgin hair that reaches my hips now :( so I'm starting to think it's better to wear a bun everytime I go out :/ but I feel I have no freedom at all, I mean, I can't decide how to wear my hair because of this violence!! :(

You have all kinds of freedom. Freedom from fear of being assaulted this way; freedom to wear your hair in a creative updo -- there's all kinds of updos in the universe. You are not stuck wearing the same look every day. I used to regularly do my hair every day in an updo and decorate it differently, and form the look of the updo in unique ways each day for work.

A hair thief isn't thinking about great hair for selling; they're thinking about is your hair long enough? And also they aren't making that much, really. The market is somewhat glutted with hair these days. It's not as valuable as it once was with all these weaves and fake hair that people use. You haven't lived til you've been to a weave supply store. Man, was that every an eye-opening experience. Plus it was fun. A long hair gathering group I was with waltzed into this kind of store, all of us wearing our hair down. And we were almost kicked out. But we behaved ourselves, but I've never seen so much hair wrapped up in plastic. Irony there: fake hair in plastic wrap. But I think like that.

heidi w.

MissHair
April 18th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I don't want to generalize anything now but Im gonna travel to Paris in a few weeks. Is this somehow common in France? Now you got me a little worried. :( Oh I just read the entire thread I can't believe this seems to happen often. Especially latin america mentioned. I have no problem wearing a hijab for protection if someone wants to snatch my hair! That's so degrading and wrong!

Madora
April 18th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Yes, unfortunately, this thievery happens.

However, YOU have the power to protect your hair by arranging it in updos.

Be proactive...learn new styles. I'm not saying you can't enjoy your hair flowing free..but be aware of your surroundings. It is much better to wear your hair up and protected. Many styles are truly beautiful and eye catching. Your hair doesn't need to be down to be beautiful!

Amber_Maiden
April 18th, 2012, 05:17 PM
That's pretty gross!!! I just wear my hair up in general because I don't trust the people around me.

Nedertane
April 18th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Goodness, I have to say that I'm glad I've never heard of this happening in my city! Despite being a major metropolitan area, most people here are still very nice in sort of a "hometown" kind of way (I've had wallets returned to me TWICE).

I personally don't think this means you can't wear your hair down, though. And though I'm less fearful about it in my corner of the world, I still do take public transportation every day to get to school, and if my hair is down (which is the norm since I am simply terrible at updos :D), I'll either fiddle with my hair (to show that I'm paying attention to it) or just put it all in front of my shoulders where I can see it and no one can grab it.

Take any precautions you feel you need, but don't let fear consume you - that's how they win.

anemix1005
April 18th, 2012, 05:56 PM
you don't see warnings of this kind of things here, something that also happens is that if you have gold earrings or necklaces, they just come running and rip them from you, my mom saw a man who had a gold necklace and they took it so fast and srtong that he fell to the floor :( you don't see warnings about this in newspapers or anything, people warn you. :/

anemix1005
April 18th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I live in a big city in Mexico (I'm moving btw, so I hope nothing happens until may 15), it's different, the thing I hate the most it's not that they do this things, but that all the people around you does NOTHING :( even if they saw the whole thing

anemix1005
April 18th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Your mother is correct. It's still somewhat rare, but it does happen. Part of this depends on where you live. If you lived in Chicago area, you wouldn't wear your hair down as it's either incredibly humid or so windy that it whips your hair around. Wearing hair up almost all the time is one of the better things you can do for the care of your hair. I wear my hair up almost all the time, even at home.

It's been nothing but beneficial. I don't need to show my hair off; it's no one's affair but mine. (If I wore my hair down, I might be followed, and certainly I'd be stopped everywhere I go with people's questions. Some days I might get nothing done but answer people's questions, or just say thank you. So at the end of the day, I'd report, "All I did all day was say Thank you." LOL. No, truly, when hair is this long, people just can't help themselves. And this amount of hair in the wind is a fearful sight.)

So, here we go: if you wait to find out if it's true, and it is, what is the result of that idea? (Cut off hair? Is that what you want?)

heidi w.

I wear it down most of the time because doing a hairdo, even a bun, takes a lot of time for me, since I have thick hair (and a lot of it), but still ... I can't even try to think like these people :/ ...

anemix1005
April 18th, 2012, 06:06 PM
You have all kinds of freedom. Freedom from fear of being assaulted this way; freedom to wear your hair in a creative updo -- there's all kinds of updos in the universe. You are not stuck wearing the same look every day. I used to regularly do my hair every day in an updo and decorate it differently, and form the look of the updo in unique ways each day for work.

A hair thief isn't thinking about great hair for selling; they're thinking about is your hair long enough? And also they aren't making that much, really. The market is somewhat glutted with hair these days. It's not as valuable as it once was with all these weaves and fake hair that people use. You haven't lived til you've been to a weave supply store. Man, was that every an eye-opening experience. Plus it was fun. A long hair gathering group I was with waltzed into this kind of store, all of us wearing our hair down. And we were almost kicked out. But we behaved ourselves, but I've never seen so much hair wrapped up in plastic. Irony there: fake hair in plastic wrap. But I think like that.

heidi w.

I think I'll try that, when I do updos is when I have a lot of time or I go out with my bf, but I've noticed that wearing different and pretty updos also make me feel better :)
LOL, so it was plastic inside plastic?

anemix1005
April 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I don't want to generalize anything now but Im gonna travel to Paris in a few weeks. Is this somehow common in France? Now you got me a little worried. :( Oh I just read the entire thread I can't believe this seems to happen often. Especially latin america mentioned. I have no problem wearing a hijab for protection if someone wants to snatch my hair! That's so degrading and wrong!

OMG SORRY! I forgot I had Montpellier like my city! I lived there last year and I forgot to update this :rolleyes: sorry, but I live in Mexico, not in france anymore :D I didn't saw anything like that happening in France, so don't worry ;)

Your post made me realize about this, thanks! :D

Honeyfall
April 18th, 2012, 06:39 PM
That's pretty gross!!! I just wear my hair up in general because I don't trust the people around me.

Honey I don't blame you, after the frightening experiences you've had. :couch:

Rhodugune
April 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Maybe they're hungry? and need the buckolas? (Being somewhat silly here.) People who behave like this don't think about anyone else and their feelings. They aren't functioning as you are. Look at drug dealers. There's a kind person, right?

heidi w.

That's not silly at all. :)
I get that they have reasons, that in their world is that way of thinking is alright, but I would like to think that I would do what ever I could to earn money in an earnest way, before hurting people.

I maybe a bit naive, but a choose to let to things like this get to me, 'cause the alternative is to let the mad things in this world numb you until you don't care what about how people treat each other.

We are all connected in some strange way.

To quote John Donne, who say it so much better than me! :cheese:

"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

MissHair
April 19th, 2012, 05:11 PM
OMG SORRY! I forgot I had Montpellier like my city! I lived there last year and I forgot to update this :rolleyes: sorry, but I live in Mexico, not in france anymore :D I didn't saw anything like that happening in France, so don't worry ;)

Your post made me realize about this, thanks! :D

Oh, no prob. :D

Anywhere
April 19th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I'd say don't live in fear. I do, and it's horrible. I can't even go out into my front yard in the middle of the day when I'm home alone because my mom has drilled it into my head that I'm going to get kidnapped someday.

I feel your hair would probably be safe, wouldn't you notice if someone was going to try and cut your hair off? :ponder:

anemix1005
April 19th, 2012, 07:25 PM
they do it really fast, and there's something I never lke to say, but ... they're men, they're stronger than me, so even if it happened, I prefer getting my hair cut than my head :/
And I already live in fear too ... :(

carolinaberry
April 19th, 2012, 10:50 PM
they do it really fast, and there's something I never lke to say, but ... they're men, they're stronger than me, so even if it happened, I prefer getting my hair cut than my head :/
And I already live in fear too ... :(
I would say definitely don't wear it in a braid down your back. That would make it seem like a convenient target.

gogirlanime
April 19th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I'm so sorry, that is scary, I wouldn't risk it, wear your hair up :(

sfgirl
April 19th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Awww. I'm sooo sorry. However, if you feel like going to a club or something (if you do that), you could always get a fun wig! Plus you can heat style it and get it a different color!!! Just take it as an opportunity.
I'm from AZ, where everyone wheres short shorts, miniskirts, and tank tops or bikini tops. Now if I wear shorts a on a HOT day I get people actually following me. I changed how I dress, and yes it sucks. Unlike holo though I'm too lazy to deal with creeps and jerks so I just avoid having confrontations. I can understand wanting to take a stand, but there's some instances I just want to get my stuff done and not worry about anything.

PurplePenguin
April 19th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I would err on the side of caution and wear my hair up if I were you, especially since you have such beautiful virgin hair.

Avital88
April 20th, 2012, 06:19 AM
oh ive heard about this happening a lot in Brazil too, sometimes we should listen to our moms, so i wouldnt take any risk with your lovely thick hair.. take care!

henné
April 20th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Scary! I also vote for wearing your hair up! I know it's terrible to lose this freedom, but what is first and foremost is your safety and health. Everything else goes second. These men could not only cut your hair off, but more importantly - they could cause you some physical harm. What if they cut you in the process of cutting your hair? What if they'd stab you? I don't want to scare you, but you should PROTECT yourself first of all ...

I hope you're moving to a safer place where you won't have to worry about such things.

Hugs.

Venefica
April 20th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I have not heard about hair being stolen to be sold for wigs, but I have heard of hair being stolen by perverts, I have also heard of people having gum, dirt all sort of things, including a man's well you know, put in their hair when wearing their hair loose, and off course you have the less serious but still problematic fact of strangers when they see hair just having to come over and touch and tug on it. I always wear my hair at least in a braid and usually in a bun when I go out, among other things to avoid the danger of things like this. It is the same that we have had a problem in Norway in the last few years of women being raped when they walk alone at night, many times the ones that do it are immigrants (and no this do not mean all immigrants are bad, most are wonderful people) who have the opinion that a woman who show a bit of skin is a whore and have it coming, the police recommend that women cover up when they have to walk home alone so if I am going to the movies for example and I know I will be going home alone I do not wear a top that show much cleavage, it is not worth the risk.

heidi w.
April 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
you don't see warnings of this kind of things here, something that also happens is that if you have gold earrings or necklaces, they just come running and rip them from you, my mom saw a man who had a gold necklace and they took it so fast and srtong that he fell to the floor :( you don't see warnings about this in newspapers or anything, people warn you. :/

Where I live, I have stopped wearing jewelry, especially my watch and a certain ring. Those are truly bling, and I could get robbed on the sidewalk at gunpoint.
Some places you just have to play it smart.

If things are like this in your area, I'd check and see if it's legal to carry pepper spray. They have pepper spray bottles that fit on key rings. Check your local laws first, though.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 20th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I think I'll try that, when I do updos is when I have a lot of time or I go out with my bf, but I've noticed that wearing different and pretty updos also make me feel better :)
LOL, so it was plastic inside plastic?

It was fake hair inside of plastic. Sad, really. AND the ladies at this joint were wearing fake hair, and it looked fairly unattractive. But to each their own....

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 20th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I wear it down most of the time because doing a hairdo, even a bun, takes a lot of time for me, since I have thick hair (and a lot of it), but still ... I can't even try to think like these people :/ ...

I did a youtube video not too long ago, and posted a way to create a fast and easy updo, which is my goto updo most days. I have to resurrect my days of yore habits of "doing my hair" each morning.

I've got lots of things that I ought to do.

If you have really thick hair, and it's hard to coil up, you can always do braids on either side and put them up or coil them into 2 buns somewhere on the head. Don't forget the idea of braiding. It can make creating an updo a bit easier and less time-consuming.

heidi w.

Of the Fae
April 20th, 2012, 10:15 AM
How awful!
Maybe you can wear your hair in one or two braids in front of you? So as to keep an eye on it? I can understand you must feel creeped out. I'd be devastated if I had hair that long and it would be chopped off by some ****!
But don't live in fear, just be a little extra careful. Indeed it is not worth it being scared all the time!

Safira
April 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
This reminded me years ago, when I had really long hair, some man started to follow me and stared at me. My boyfriend went to ask why is he following me and the stranger said that he would like to buy my hair.

Luckily here people doesen´t steal your hair. I would be really terrified if I would have to be afraid of someone stealing hair.
I hope you will be alright and safe untill you move away, to a place where you and your hair can be free.

Snippety
April 20th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I was warned about this twice when I lived in Holland. A work colleague told my husband of a woman who had been dragged into an alley by a guy who pulled a knife on her. She feared the worst but instead he reached round and cut off her pony tail and then ran off at top speed. I wear one long plait as my customary "do" and tucked it down the back of my coat for the whole six months we lived there :rolleyes:

Valorie
April 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Wow, that is some really crazy stuff! I'd probably wear my hair in a braid under a turtle neck! Geez..