PDA

View Full Version : Volume on top question

MagicToDo
April 17th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I was wondering how I could go about getting more volume on the top of my head? My hair is down to about hip length and sadly is straight as a pin, which makes it look flat and kind of yukky. I like the way it looks when I've just taken it out of a braid, except for the fact that it's flatter than a pancake on the top of my head :-( I've been thinking about going back to having bangs, since I have a disturbingly high forehead as well :run:Any tips/advice will be greatly appreciated :-)

DarkSky
April 17th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Im a poofy wurly/curly head but I do have some ideas that I think I would try if me hair was naturally straight. One idea is to make a deep or deeper side part. This should give the appearance of more height on top of your head. I do this sometimes to get extra volume on top to balance out the side poofiness. Another idea is to air dry with the side part on the opposite side then for final styling flip it to the other side. The final suggestion is to try more damp braids around the crown of your hair. Let it dry, take it out then style with a side part.

Oh I have a high forehead as well so the deep side parting is the only way I can wear my hair.

Tisiloves
April 17th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Try sleeping in a sock bun or other top knot, that tends to give me crazy volume.

MagicToDo
April 17th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Thank you both for the advice :-) I've yet to master a sock bun :-( Any tricks to it?:shrug:

Tisiloves
April 17th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Arrow explains it nicely, and manages it on stick straight hair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCwA0lAUwU8&feature=plcp&context=C4e8a8d9VDvjVQa1PpcFNfTne4z2XrdWZDZQ_hiWrP IJoxGdqTXp4%3D

MagicToDo
April 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Arrow explains it nicely, and manages it on stick straight hair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCwA0lAUwU8&feature=plcp&context=C4e8a8d9VDvjVQa1PpcFNfTne4z2XrdWZDZQ_hiWrP IJoxGdqTXp4%3D

Thank you :-) I'll give it a look :D

Tisiloves
April 17th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Thank you :-) I'll give it a look :D

You're welcome. :D

lunalocks
April 17th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Every night I do a seashell bun on the very top of my head. Not only do I have more volume on top, I have great bun waves on length and curls on the ends.

I have bangs. I always have. My hair is pretty straight to the ears, then more textured to the ends. I do use a salt spray on my bangs (when they are damp) for a little more volume.

Roscata
April 18th, 2012, 01:51 AM
You could add a pouf to any hairstyle, even having it down. Habioku has a tutorial on how to do it without hair spray or teasing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Oi2iIvQgw.

Hope that helps! :)

Emme76
April 18th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I have very flat hair. I use dry shampoo! I put some on my scalp and massage it for a while. Leaves alot of volume. It also worked when I had a bit longer hair than I do now.

torrilin
April 18th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I don't manage volume. My hair is fine and straightish, and even tho I have a fairly decent amount of hair... it looks flat like I don't have any or am trying to go bald. It's normal and just a natural part of having fine and straight hair. Even if I do things like blow dry my hair upside down with gel, it will go flat to my head within about a half hour. Not worth it.

The tradeoff is my hair is really good at showing off intricate styles and being very smooth and sleek. Parts look razor sharp, and braids tend to look really defined. If I do an intricate style like a French braid or a lace crown braid, it stays well and will look decent even after I sleep on it. I actually *have* to sleep on a braid to get it to look artfully tousled.

Madora
April 18th, 2012, 08:29 AM
The length of your hair is going to work against hopes of volume. Sorry.

Avital88
April 18th, 2012, 08:40 AM
the only thing what works for me is to cut a few layers in it,but i have wurly hair so it probably doesnt work for straight hair that way

sugarsugar
April 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I have the same issue as you: flat hair on top, high forehead. I can add a bit of volume by blowdrying my roots with a bit of mousse, but it doesn't last long.

I wear my hair down quite a bit, held back with a hairband. I really like to do a deep side part, comb the hair across over my forehead and then put a band on. Does that make sense? It ends up looking like faux-sideswept bangs.

Someone already mentioned this, but the front pouf is your friend. The video posted is how I do mine, and you can also twist it to the side for a variation.

lapushka
April 18th, 2012, 11:44 AM
If you use a blowdryer, try drying it upside down and/or hold the roots up while you blow dry.

MsBubbles
April 18th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Fine, flat & straight here. Also hiplength. Hello! While wearing it down I just resign myself to having flat hair at the scalp. As somebody previously mentioned, any manipulating on my part lasts about 10 mins, and is 100% not worth it. A topknot let down after a few hours fakes some volume, but never at my scalp.

For updo's, since I don't have bangs either, the only volume I can fake on top comes by tipping my head towards the side I usually part it on, and anchoring the bun while gravity is pulling those hairs upwards. Nothing else works for me, not even that thing about putting bobby pins in first.

DaveDecker
April 18th, 2012, 05:44 PM
My hair is down to about hip length and sadly fortunately is straight as a pin, which makes it look flat and kind of yukky lovely.

I fixed it for ya. ;)

Carissamarie08
April 18th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Teasing the hair is probably the only way to get real volume at the scalp that will last....I don't suggest it but I admit I do it all the time

MsBubbles
April 18th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hah! Dave - that's very good. :applause

Honeyfall
April 18th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I fixed it for ya. ;)

:D That's awesome! :D

summergreen
April 21st, 2012, 08:10 AM
I think Ive found something that helps a bit!

Last thing at night, section off the top layer of the canopy, either side of your parting (the part you would section off if about to start a french braid on either side). Then flip them across to the opposite side of your head (so they are going over the top of your head - kind of like 2 comb-overs!) Then just do whatever you normally do to your hair for sleeping.

I did this yesterday and it has given a bit more root lift - I didn't dampen the roots in case I woke up looking like Marge Simpson but it gave quite a subtle lift so I will be doing it again tonight with damp roots. I also left out the very front/hairline hair because all the baby hairs standing upright is not a good look!

Now I just need to find a way to get root lift on the other 5000 000 000 (or however many it is) hairs on my head...

Nellon
June 18th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Ok, I have found a way that works for me so far on my thin, pretty much straight and fine SL hair. I use a non-sls-schampoo with only natural ingredients (called "Urtekram" here in Sweden), I also use cone free conditioner and never put conditioner at my roots. (In order to keep my ends soft and nice I pre oil the ends with EVOO before washing my hair). I comb my hair through with my fingers in the shower while the conditioner is in it, and then just scrunch it a little with the towel and let it simply dry not touching it too much, never ever combing when wet. Hope it helps!