PDA

View Full Version : Staying Tight and staying close!

Vyrii
April 17th, 2012, 07:17 PM
So I've been contemplating joining the Army recently and I've been doing a bit of research into the matter. One of my first concerns was my hair.

I'm not AGAINST the women to chop off their hair for basic, but personally I've had super short hair before. I'm still trying to grow out from that and it is a PAIN to try and fix up short hair. This proves to be a problem in the military where they want you to look well groomed at all times. So cutting my hair is out of the question.

At this moment in time I'm at waist length 2c M ii/iii. The sock bun works. Any extra length I just braid around, and it's no problem. However military regs state that you can't have a hair style that interferes with headgear, and my bun is BIG.

I was wondering if any of the wonderful ladies here could point me to a hair style that is tight, and stays close to my head as to not interfere with any masks?

French braids seem to work, but I'm so bad at braiding my own hair that they turn out quite loose and flyaways would be a problem. Eventually I'll get better with them over time, but braiding backwards is difficult.

My holy grail of an up-do would be something quick to put up, tight, and flat. I've been poking around for a while now and I haven't found anything quite like that.

Also if any ladies or gentlemen want to offer any advice regarding the military I wouldn't say no ;)

Kelikea
April 17th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Dutch braids seem to hold the fly-aways a bit better than French. I do 2 Dutch braids when I need my hair to stay in tight all day, and it fits under a hat:) I like to practice when I have free time, and sometimes go ahead and braid my hair the night before, if I have to get up really early, and then sleep in a satin cap.

Vyrii
April 17th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I've seen the dutch braids a couple of times. I'm still not sure how people get them so tight! I guess it just requires more practice is all. What do you do with the tails?

arcane
April 17th, 2012, 07:57 PM
My mother is in the Canadian Army. When I was younger she mostly did just a french braid tucked in on itself. Then she cut her hair off and apparently has forgotten how to french braid. Typically she just braids a traditional english braid and that is fine, though she occasionally tucks it up under itself again. This was also fine when she served with the American military on an exchange posting as well. Her hair is very curly (big 80s style barrel curls naturally) and probably now a few inches past waist.

I'd pratice braiding so it becomes easier for you to do.

Vyrii
April 17th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I definitely plan on practicing braiding. Maybe I can get my french braids tight enough not to have my layers everywhere!

jtsck
April 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I can tell you from experience (not Army but another branch) that buns are your friend. But wearing a helmet with a bun is horrible. Dutch braids can be denied if they are too wide (in the Nayv the regulation said a visible braid along the scalp could only be 1/4").

The military isn't neccessarily anti-long hair but depending on the job is can seem to be. If you end up working in an office and aren't deployed, no one will care if you have a bun.

As far as looking well groomed... I have seem some funky looking hair do's (and had some myself) to get around regulations. Most people are understanding.

Good Luck!

ETA: Also the regulations state that the bulk of the hair cannot be excessive. You said your bun is BIG and you might run into people who think it is too big to be militarily professional. I have had that happen.

PurplePenguin
April 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I never had long hair in the Army but the females I know and served with who did usually just did a sock bun. I knew one female who had mid-back length hair and it was definitely a iii in thickness. She had the biggest bun I have ever seen but it worked. Now that I think about it I'm sure she used a very thin sock like a dress sock to do the bun instead of the thicker socks some of the other females used.
I loved being in the Army, when you think about it it really is a great job but I always advise people to make sure they have really thought it over and mentally prepared themselves for the possibility of deploying. If you have any questions at all about the Army feel free to PM me.

Vyrii
April 17th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I heard somewhere that buns couldn't extend past 2" from your head. If that's true then there's no way I could wear my bun and be in regulation.

The bun itself is almost 4" across. I'm not sure if that's too big or not. It's pretty big on my head though, I have a small head.

I also haven't read anything about braid width for the army. When I talk to a recruiter I'm sure they'll tell me though. (hopefully)

Vyrii
April 17th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I never had long hair in the Army but the females I know and served with who did usually just did a sock bun. I knew one female who had mid-back length hair and it was definitely a iii in thickness. She had the biggest bun I have ever seen but it worked. Now that I think about it I'm sure she used a very thin sock like a dress sock to do the bun instead of the thicker socks some of the other females used.
I loved being in the Army, when you think about it it really is a great job but I always advise people to make sure they have really thought it over and mentally prepared themselves for the possibility of deploying. If you have any questions at all about the Army feel free to PM me.

The sock that I'm using two dress socks! If I use only one there is too much hair left, and it sticks out really far from my head.

I'll probably take you up on that offer, I live in an Air Force area and I don't know any women that are in the Army!
As for the deployment issue, it's really something that I'm okay with. I'm a really level headed person, and there's not much that rattles me. Deploying I don't think would affect me much, if I'm trained for it. If I was just thrown into a combat situation? THEN I would freak out!

Dragon
April 17th, 2012, 08:32 PM
If your buns are to big could you do 2 low buns?

Eirelin
April 17th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Torrin Paige has a style I love where she does a French or Dutch braid (hers is probably French; I usually prefer Dutch, but it truly doesn't matter because you never see it) that is folded up and flattened against the head.

I just tried to look up the tutorial but didn't see it. I know it is there, but I don't have the energy tonight to look for it; sorry.

Anyway, you do a French or Dutch braid all the way down and secure it. Then, you fold the braid up (and if it is long enough, you fold it a few times, accordion style). Then you flatten the topmost layer up against the body of the braid, spreading that layer out and pinning it against the head.

My description sucks, I know, so please look up her YouTube channel and get a better idea. Besides, her hair is much closer to your length than mine is.

Good luck.

dulce
April 17th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Years ago I was in the navy with very long hair.I did a french twist ,a braid folded under ,a low chignon,a low pony folded under going up to the top of my head and a figure 8.

elbow chic
April 17th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I would venture to suggest you may want to sacrifice some length. At least long enough to get you thru basic/AIT. After that, usually you get a little of your life back, and for a lot of people it winds up being (sort of) like a regular 9-to-5 job.

I am ex-military, have always had pretty thick hair, and actually currently live on a basic-training installation. :D (Ft Leonard Wood.)

Lots and lots of privates out there walking around with their cute little buns.. but none are even half the size of my MBL iii hair when bunned as tightly as possible. When I was in, I had a HELL of a time keeping it satisfactorily controlled and ultimately wound up getting it cut quite short.

Another thing: at basic training you do not have even five minutes to do your hair. If you can't rip a comb through it, bun it and be out the door in under three minutes, you will be schlepped down to the barber for a cut. You are kind of at the mercy of the drill sergeants and the regulation for female hair leaves a fair bit of leeway for interpretation. Plus there are practical concerns with gas masks, etc.

If your instructor decides your hair is too big/fussy/"unkempt" you will have problems. (I had hair problems in basic, good lawd I had hair problems. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE THE ONE WITH HAIR PROBLEMS! :laugh: )

elbow chic
April 17th, 2012, 09:51 PM
All that being said, a friend of mine is active-duty with hip-length hair, and she swears by the "Hairigami." Sort of a similar rolling concept to the sock bun, but a bit tighter/flatter, imo. I think it's incredible how fast she can roll that sucker up! I think she grew hers out after she'd finished basic, though.

Seeshami
April 17th, 2012, 10:02 PM
My sister is in the military and her daily do for every day she has been in the army for the past 10 years or so has been a sock bun.

Tisiloves
April 17th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Try a bun cover bun:

Low ponytail your hair, bun it as compactly as possible, bee butt or cinna-bun is probably your best bet, cover with a bun cover of hairnet that matches your hair (if you're using a hairnet double it over) then secure the edges of the net back under the bun with another hair tie. If required add hairpins.

I used to condense my thick MBL hair to nearly nothing, and it held through multiple assault course runs.

luxepiggy
April 18th, 2012, 01:41 AM
The sock that I'm using two dress socks! If I use only one there is too much hair left, and it sticks out really far from my head.

Based on this comment, I'm guessing that you've been doing the conventional sock bun. What would probably work better is Loepsie's fully rolled sockbun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM), with very thin sock (^(oo)^)v

DancingQueen
April 18th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Torrin Paige has a style I love where she does a French or Dutch braid (hers is probably French; I usually prefer Dutch, but it truly doesn't matter because you never see it) that is folded up and flattened against the head.

I just tried to look up the tutorial but didn't see it. I know it is there, but I don't have the energy tonight to look for it; sorry.

Anyway, you do a French or Dutch braid all the way down and secure it. Then, you fold the braid up (and if it is long enough, you fold it a few times, accordion style). Then you flatten the topmost layer up against the body of the braid, spreading that layer out and pinning it against the head.

My description sucks, I know, so please look up her YouTube channel and get a better idea. Besides, her hair is much closer to your length than mine is.

Good luck.

I think you are talking about the masara, and yes, that would probably be a good one.

You can also try the qwikbun (a bit like hairagami, but easier to use) There is a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFdq3vh9HwY

Eirelin
April 18th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I think you are talking about the masara, and yes, that would probably be a good one.

You can also try the qwikbun (a bit like hairagami, but easier to use) There is a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFdq3vh9HwY

Yes, that was it! Thanks :)

perkidanman
April 18th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I chopped off my hair when I went into the military and trust me, it wasn't easier at all! At least not for me. The shorter hair, plus the humidity and sweat turned my hair frizzy and curly and it was ALWAYS in the way. If I'd kept it long enough to bun I would have had an easier time of it.

proo
April 18th, 2012, 08:45 AM
It's not easy or quick, but it eats up a ton of hair,
evenly distributed over the whole scalp:
micronesian spiral bun.
I've done a modified version, not so many spirals,
and it's really flat, like having short hair.
Perhaps you could get away with leaving it in more than one day.
Are cornrows or twists allowed in the military?

Kaya
April 18th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I would venture to suggest you may want to sacrifice some length. At least long enough to get you thru basic/AIT. After that, usually you get a little of your life back, and for a lot of people it winds up being (sort of) like a regular 9-to-5 job.

I am ex-military, have always had pretty thick hair, and actually currently live on a basic-training installation. :D (Ft Leonard Wood.)

Lots and lots of privates out there walking around with their cute little buns.. but none are even half the size of my MBL iii hair when bunned as tightly as possible. When I was in, I had a HELL of a time keeping it satisfactorily controlled and ultimately wound up getting it cut quite short.

Another thing: at basic training you do not have even five minutes to do your hair. If you can't rip a comb through it, bun it and be out the door in under three minutes, you will be schlepped down to the barber for a cut. You are kind of at the mercy of the drill sergeants and the regulation for female hair leaves a fair bit of leeway for interpretation. Plus there are practical concerns with gas masks, etc.

If your instructor decides your hair is too big/fussy/"unkempt" you will have problems. (I had hair problems in basic, good lawd I had hair problems. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE THE ONE WITH HAIR PROBLEMS! :laugh: )

I'm afraid I have to second the idea of sacrificing some length. :o I know, it's not something you want to hear, but seriously, going to through BMT is hard enough. You don't want to worry about your hair. And elbow chic had hit the nail on the head. You have very, very little time to fix your hair in the mornings. You get rudely awaken and literally have minutes make your bed, get dressed to regs, and run out the door for formation. And believe me, you don't want to be late falling in! :no:
I went through basic with very short hair and it was a lifesaver. Looking back, I'm quite thankful that my hair was low-maintenance. Another thing to keep in mind, depending on your shower routine, you will probably have limited shower time, so having lots of hair to wash may not be the best thing. Which may be ok sometimes, but when you've been low-crawling through the mud, water, and brush with a helmet/gas mask and hood trapping gunk up against your scalp...well, you may not have the time to throughly wash out everything if your hair is particuarly long.
I think I remember seeing some of the girls in my flight with braided hair, but observing hairstyles wasn't my highest priority! :D Good luck with whatever you decide!

Vintagecoilylocks
April 18th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Long ago and far away when I served, braids were not allowed. So To help some of the long haired girls, a style we found was fast and easy on the head.

You divide your hair in two sections. Side by side or top and bottom. (ITS best not to be layered when you go in). Then you twist each section inward. Then you begin to tie the hair until it is all used up. This goes pretty fast. When you get to the end you have the option to secure to the existing tied bun. Tucking the ends in first. Hair pins, bobby pins disappeard into the tied hair bun. That prevents stress on the scalp hairs with clips, hair pins and such. Because none of those were allowed to be visible. By dividing the hair it distrubted the weight of the hair and that meant less headaches. Some times we secured the ends after tying with a stretch the same color then secured( the real straight ones). It would last the girls all day through marching and PT and stay neat while being low enough to fit under any head gear. It goes fast. I would help several people in a few minutes get their hair up. Only one girl was forced to get a hair cut and that was because she refused to let anyone help her put up her hip length hair. The navy took care of that problem. Chopped it off at the ears.

MaKenna90
April 18th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm in the United States Army right now, and when I went to basic, my hair was waist length. It was easier for me to put it up and keep in in regulation than people with shorter hair, but that's a matter of personal preference. I'd recommend NOT cutting it, because the frizz and ends sticking out will earn you some pushups.

I never did the sock bun, because the bun ended up being too big, but I did bee-butt buns and cinnabuns. I never had an issue with my hair. Braids get kindof sketchy because they can only go straight back (unfortunately the spiral bun someone recommended earlier isn't allowed), and they make it hard to fit your patrol cap since it doesn't adjust.

I pretty much always keep my hair in a braided cinnabun now that I'm out of basic:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7005&pictureid=128600

I use bunheads hair pins and it holds like a rock. Gel keeps the flyaways down. Honestly if you can just get a cinnabun or bee-but to hold well, stick with that. The less complicated the better.

ETA: A plastic bristle brush will also be your friend. it keeps everything smooth and neat looking.

Vyrii
April 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Wow, thanks for all your replies! As for the no time in Basic to do hair, I heard a couple of women who had longer hair actually did their hair before they went to bed, and just slept with it in.

That's probably what I'll be attempting to do.

I've watched the youtube videos, and I was actually surprised to find that I've been doing the bee-but bun for years, I never knew it had a name!

As for cutting it, or getting rid of some length I have heavily layered hair right now and I'm working on growing out the layers. But my hair gets super frizzy and flyaways are a problem. I'm afraid if I cut it now only would I have to deal with a shorter style, but also with the flyaways.

I really wish my hair was all one length, that would solve most of my problems.

dulce
April 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Before you go in the military, practise daily till you find a fool proof fast style that you can count on for basic training.I was able to wear a gas mask with my long hair.

Kirbstone
April 18th, 2012, 02:02 PM
From my limited experience in the Military (two years) I understand that the uniform is not complete without the regulation cap or hat, which for blokes presupposes a strict short back & sides, but for girls must allow a certain volume of hair mass under it, provided, as was said, it doesn't interfere with the 'sit' of the said headgear.
It would be necessary to present ones self for interview and at that interview ascertain just how long your hair may be while in service.
The military is essentially for young people and at the end of your service your hair can again be grown out to the desired length.
I retired from the British N.H.S. at age 60, at which time I began to grow my hair out. It's never too late...

heidi w.
April 18th, 2012, 04:27 PM
So I've been contemplating joining the Army recently and I've been doing a bit of research into the matter. One of my first concerns was my hair.

I'm not AGAINST the women to chop off their hair for basic, but personally I've had super short hair before. I'm still trying to grow out from that and it is a PAIN to try and fix up short hair. This proves to be a problem in the military where they want you to look well groomed at all times. So cutting my hair is out of the question.

At this moment in time I'm at waist length 2c M ii/iii. The sock bun works. Any extra length I just braid around, and it's no problem. However military regs state that you can't have a hair style that interferes with headgear, and my bun is BIG.

I was wondering if any of the wonderful ladies here could point me to a hair style that is tight, and stays close to my head as to not interfere with any masks?

French braids seem to work, but I'm so bad at braiding my own hair that they turn out quite loose and flyaways would be a problem. Eventually I'll get better with them over time, but braiding backwards is difficult.

My holy grail of an up-do would be something quick to put up, tight, and flat. I've been poking around for a while now and I haven't found anything quite like that.

Also if any ladies or gentlemen want to offer any advice regarding the military I wouldn't say no ;)

My understanding is that it would be required to wear your hair up above one's uniform collar. If you braid your hair every day, you'll get good at braids. But you can't have a braid flopping out or an updo flopping out. You must be ready on time and in line, so that may be a factor. I hear they rise pretty early in the morning, and to french braid your hair and dress and whatnot, you may find it easier to cut your hair shorter, somehow.

heidi w.

Hyacinth
April 18th, 2012, 04:36 PM

I was going to suggest the Qwikbun, military style as well :).

MissAlida
April 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I don't know anything about army hair rules, but you might try a tight cinamon bun held with bobby pins.I think it looks very polished. You can find videos on youtube, like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C7XjBqXZRU&feature=related:)

melusine963
April 20th, 2012, 01:53 PM
This link has some very good hair advice from women who have gone through basic training: http://www.militarywoman.org/hair.htm