PDA

View Full Version : "Thank you" hair for making yourself look even thinner....

juliaxena
April 17th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I want to wear hair down one or twice a weak because although I adore my hair toys, I still think hair should be shown off from time to time. However, I have a problem. Most of my hair won't stay on my back...if I wanted it to do that, I would have to put it back every 15 seconds...The problem is with parts going to the front and a small section staying at the back, it looks a lot thinner...Half ups look horrendous. I hate it to the point I thought about giving up long hair today...blasphemy I know. But I don't know what to do. Hair spray sounds like a bad idea and I am not sure it would help anyway. Gah...any ideas?

littleizz
April 17th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I know exactly what you mean. Most of the time I like my hair splitting over my shoulders, but on its thinner days it just looks funny. I generally make my "down" days the day or two after washing. Then the next few days are updo days. Then I wash and the cycle repeats.

What if you just took ALL of your hair over your shoulders (2 "chunks") instead of taking a piece over each shoulder and leaving some behind your back (3 "chunks")? I know it sounds like right now you don't want any over your shoulder at all, but maybe if you can bump up the volume a little you'll like the look better. I think with all of your hair in front of you it looks fuller, lengthens your neck, and is better for showing off :)

ETA: I realize having all of your hair in front of your shoulders makes office work a pain with having to keep the hair of your face. Most of the time I tuck a small piece behind my ears (juuust enough to keep the tide back ;) ) or I wear a headband. One headband tip - don't take ALL of the hair from your hairline down to your ears. I insert the headband at my temples and leave the hair below my temples in front of the headband. That's not the hair that gets in the way, and it makes the look much softer.

Adora Belle
April 17th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Maybe a headband or pretty scarf might encourage it to stay in the back? That's really the only thing I can think of, I don't have a similar problem.

I hope you find a solution quickly, part of the fun of long hair is being able to wear it down.

jacqueline101
April 17th, 2012, 12:01 PM
If not head bands try the side combs that help hold hair on the side of the head back.

GlennaGirl
April 17th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Have you tried Great Hair Day? I use this to fill in. :)

summergreen
April 17th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I think this problem will go as it gets longer (it did for me, at about BSL) so don't give up!

swearnsue
April 17th, 2012, 12:04 PM
How about taking the hair from the very front and down the temples a bit, pull in back and clip it to the top/back. This way most of your hair is in the back.

jeanniet
April 17th, 2012, 12:05 PM
The only way I can keep hair all at my back is by using a hairband or wrap of some kind--a Buff, a scarf, etc. Otherwise I have to constantly flip it back. The good thing about this is that it sort of collects the hair together, so it would help to make thin hair look fuller--but of course you do get the pulled-back look in front.

fridgee
April 17th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Instead of a half-up could you take two small sections of hair from your temples/above your ear and make 2 plaits(braids) or twists that you can pull back and fasten together at the back? That way your hair is held in place, but you don't lose the volume from having half your hair out the way and your length is still shown off. The length of my hair always stays down my back when I wear it this way rather than creeping over my shoulders. :flower:

Mai Gloeckchen
April 17th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I think this problem will go as it gets longer (it did for me, at about BSL) so don't give up!

Yep.
For me it was around Midback und definitly since waist. APL is a very stressing length, when you don't like your hair dangling to the sides of your face.

ilovelonghair
April 17th, 2012, 12:38 PM
My hair doesn't want to stay on my back either, no matter what lenght. And it's thin. But I have a trick that makes it a little better: aloe vera gel. Just a tiny amount in the ends (or higher up if needed) will keep the hair much more stay together.

juliaxena
April 17th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Great suggestions...I will try them out. I just wonder what kind of side comb would stay in ridiculuosly silky slippery hair please?

ilovelonghair
April 22nd, 2012, 09:26 AM
They don't stay, I use those clip thingies.

Amazinggrace
April 22nd, 2012, 09:35 AM
I would try these, and pin back the sides: http://www.stone-bridge.co.uk/oval-small-hair-slide-3894-p.asp

Like this, for the style: http://stonebridgehair.blogspot.com/2011/01/great-side-hair-clips-and-slides-for.html

Amazinggrace
April 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
This article has a lot of great info for thin hair clips as well: http://stonebridgehair.blogspot.com/2011/01/hair-clips-for-fine-hair-melissas-top.html

Seeshami
April 22nd, 2012, 09:41 AM
The naughty mess is an all over the shoulder creature. When people catch me with my bun down at work it normally gets a little scary with a wild naughty mess terrorizing the office, so I will ask for a moment and do a quick bun.

I honestly think it all has to do with bending over and keeping your shoulder back. But I don't give the mess a chance to behave because it would take the opportunity to do something horrible, like take me hostage again.

GRU
April 22nd, 2012, 10:59 AM
How about a VERY loose, low ponytail of some sort? I'll sometimes take a scrunchie and pull my hair back at the nape and leave the scrunchie completely open (not repeatedly twisting and pulling through until tight). My hair is back and kinda contained, but not *tight* like a ponytail.

juliaxena
April 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
How about a VERY loose, low ponytail of some sort? I'll sometimes take a scrunchie and pull my hair back at the nape and leave the scrunchie completely open (not repeatedly twisting and pulling through until tight). My hair is back and kinda contained, but not *tight* like a ponytail.

I had a similar idea, except I would like a broader look than a lose ponytail /to me, a lose ponytail is still only 4 centimeters wide area lol) and a scrunchie would just slide right out of my hair that way. This is what I was thinking about...just to find something like it now...http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92480

ETA: Thank you Amazinggrace for the links.

Carolyn
April 22nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Decorative bobby pins are everywhere now. There are some really pretty ones that aren't little girlish. I just bought some more at Walgreens the other day. Instead of pulling the sides all the way to the back for a half up, use the bobby pins to hold the sides back. On the rare occasion that I do a half up, I do the teeniest, tiniest little ponytail with my front and side hair. The pulled back hair is less than the diameter of a pencil. That leaves almost all the hair down but still looks like a half up. No one is going to notice how small the ponytail part is. They will just see all your hair hanging down your back. The little bendy clampy clippy things hold pretty well too. I just saw some pretty ones at Dollar Tree.

GRU
April 22nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I had a similar idea, except I would like a broader look than a lose ponytail /to me, a lose ponytail is still only 4 centimeters wide area lol) and a scrunchie would just slide right out of my hair that way. This is what I was thinking about...just to find something like it now...http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92480

Ah yes, I completely forget sometimes that not everyone has crazy grabby hair like me!