PDA

View Full Version : When does your hair growth stall/slow?

Oskimosa
July 25th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I've been measuring my hair since joining this site, and it seemed as though I was getting about 2/3rds of an inch each month, but this month based on total length measurement, I measured wrong last month and/or possibly got 1/2 inch growth.

Also, based on my new hair growth at the roots (easy to tell blonde from henna :p) I've gotten just shy of a 1/2 inch in 4 weeks, 28 days. Now, I don't know that I was measuring correctly, but now that I'm at 19" even, I can be more careful.

THE POINT: I think I might be stalling/slowing, but I might be wrong. Still, I get all sorts of different reasons for stalling. I want to know what are the most common, and whether I might be stalling because it is disgustingly hot in Houston.

chrissy-b
July 25th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I've noticed my hair has slowed down quite a bit this summer too. I don't measure religiously but I do know that from last September until about 3-4 months ago I was getting about .75in a month and now I'm getting less than .5in a month.

From researching here and on other sites, it seems the most common is for people to get a growth spurt in the summer, though I have read that a few get theirs in the winter. I think I may be one of those people and maybe you are too. Hey, just another thing to make you unique.:)

Oskimosa
July 25th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Yea! Thanks :) I'll stop telling myself I'm weird. I mean, I can't really be weird if there are others like me, right???

Maybe it's because I like winter so much better. Cold weather makes me happy. I love snow. I like winter so much, I married it.

Er, I mean, I got married IN it. Heh heh...

Maybe the whole being happy thing is what turns up the growth, eh?

Riot Crrl
July 26th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I picked that it doesn't stall, but I don't consider .5 vs .75 to be a stall. Stalling would be not growing at all for a while. Sometimes I wish it would for a month just to get a break from the regrowth. Yes, blonde is obvious next to henna.

chrissy-b
July 26th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Maybe the whole being happy thing is what turns up the growth, eh?

There is documented evidence of a physiological link between the mind and body, most notably the immune system. So (if you want to go there) you could say that if you're stressing on your hair, you're weakening your immune system, and with a weakened immune system you body is not functioning as well as it should, thus your hair growth could possibly suffer.

So yeah, think of snow if it makes you happy. Couldn't hurt. :D

p.s.
I forgot to actually vote on this poll.

p.s.s.
Your avatar photo is lovely. I want to try that updo once my hair is a bit longer.

Sceleste
July 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I voted My hair growth does not stall.

I get max 1cm growth in the winter and 1-2cm in the summer.

The way I see things, my hair growth does not slow down during winter but it becomes faster during summer. The growth spurt I get in the summer only lasts for a few months - I get 1cm per month for the rest of the year so I consider that my regular growth rate.

Siowiel
July 26th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I suppose I grow locks of cheese :cheese:

My hair grows between an half to one inch (seldomly!!!! Got this once or twice). So usually, it is half an inch.

It grows slowly at the moment, but it did grow very fast last summer... I hav eno more stress than I did last year, taking still my vitamins, no weight loss/gain etc.

My hair seems just to live and grow through circles like everything else. Hey, I start learning, slack off, start again - my hair takes clues, you know! :D

Faepirate
July 26th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I voted cheese because I have no idea. :)

My hair growth seems quite... sporadic. I don't measure and the only judgement I've been making about it's length for the past 3 months is, "Well, it's sort of waist-ish".

It might be slow or it might be normal. It's hard for me to tell. So I can't really tell what makes it slower or faster (or stall, maybe), either. :)

vidgrl007
July 26th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I voted stress and stall in summer.dd and dh both have said they have seen a little growth but it got to my shoulders and in march and is just now a little past shoulders.maybe its just me and am getting impatient:rolleyes:and just want it to grow.

I dont measure b/c ill want to chop so i've hid the scissors until apl and I can finish cutting the razored ends off.

I wish they had miracle grow for hair. I would purchase by the barrel:p.

paper
July 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I voted for cheese! :cool: I haven't been growing my hair long enough (10 months) to really answer. But, I did notice, I shedded alot in the spring and appear to have a growth spurt now (summer).

janaana
July 26th, 2008, 09:24 AM
My hair grows a lot slower in the winter than in the summer. I don't like it to get long enough to sit on and manage this by cutting 3.5" off it twice a year. I found I need to do this in April and September as it grows about the same amount during the five summer months as it does in the seven winter months.

This year I have taken to wearing a scarf over my head while I sleep to prevent tangling and it has already got to the length where it needs to be cut six weeks ahead of time, so I think the heat is the cause and wonder if the people who have faster growth in winter are keeping their heads warm by wearing hats or scarves in the cold season.

Oskimosa
July 26th, 2008, 10:41 AM
This year I have taken to wearing a scarf over my head while I sleep to prevent tangling and it has already got to the length where it needs to be cut six weeks ahead of time, so I think the heat is the cause and wonder if the people who have faster growth in winter are keeping their heads warm by wearing hats or scarves in the cold season.

Thats an interesting idea! But if that's the case, that means my growth will stall this winter.. I'm in Houston and it cant possibly get cold enough to wear a hat. I used to wear hats frequently in good old Virginia. *Think snowy thoughts!!*

bunnii
July 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I voted for stress depresion slowing my hair, which has happened right now :( think happy thoughts.......

n3m3sis42
July 26th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I've noticed my hair has slowed down quite a bit this summer too. I don't measure religiously but I do know that from last September until about 3-4 months ago I was getting about .75in a month and now I'm getting less than .5in a month.

From researching here and on other sites, it seems the most common is for people to get a growth spurt in the summer, though I have read that a few get theirs in the winter. I think I may be one of those people and maybe you are too. Hey, just another thing to make you unique.:)

I'm the same way. I have been getting about 3/4" per month until this month, when I only got 1/2". I am also the only person who tends to lose weight in the winter and gain weight in the summer, so there you go. :)

VanillaTresses
July 26th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Stress (especially) and depression stalls my growth-- and that is where I am right now!:(

ilovelonghair
July 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
For me it's winter, stress and illness. I have been quite badly ill over the last 3 years and my hair does grow slower. However there must be parts that do grow fast because I cut it every week and it does not get shorter.

julya
July 27th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I don't pay enough attention to know if my hair growth stalls, so I picked the cheese.

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Umm I vote cheese because my hair doesn't stall there are months when I grow a lot and months where I still grow but not so much.

I think if I ever have a month where I have no noticeable growth then I will start to take notice of what might be causing it.

By the way stress and bad nutrition will cause my hair to shed ridiculous amounts but not stall. I was anemic for awhile and wasn't aware and my hair was coming out in clumps. I have it (mostly) under control and it's much better.

flapjack
July 29th, 2008, 01:29 AM
My hair always grows like a weed around Nov-Feb... basically smack in the middle of winter. Over the summers (like now, booo) I will be lucky to get 1-2 inches of growth from June-Sept. Whereas 1-2 inches is the norm PER MONTH in the Winter.

I have no clue why this happens. I have known about it since I was little, that's how obvious it is.

And of course, diet and lifestyle/stress is always a factor. I eat and sleep better, I grow more hair. And feel better in general, so I try to always do this, haha.

Oskimosa
July 29th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I've gotta say I'm really surprised with these results! Evidentally, not only is a large portion of the community here in fact growing cheese hair, but also emotional and health issues seem to affect hair growth more than anything else. (So far). I was really expecting to see a large slant toward the 'hair stalling in winter'. I'm a heavy worrier so I'm thinking that's what's behind the slow hair growth. Fast growth is common in my family.

MAYBE some people have a spurt in the summer because they're happy warm weather is here :p

Oskimosa
July 30th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Blah, I know I'm double posting here. But the whole reason I started this poll was to figure out if I was stalling.

I might be, but it's irrelevent.

The reason for my inconsistent measurements aaare.... FAULTY MEASURING TAPE!!! The one I was using before cuts off at a 3/4" mark; whereas the one I used last cuts off at a normal 1" mark. So one month it looked like I had just under 3/4" growth, where, really, I'm getting barely over 1/4" per month. BLAH! EW! This is so slow for me :( I want to go cry someplace...

Eh, on the lighter side, it looks like the underneath hair (judgeing by new color growth) is going at 1/2" per month... Still. Major letdown knowing I won't get to APL this year at this rate.

DecafJane
July 30th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Mine just grows steadily. :)

Ndnlady
July 30th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I was getting half an inch or a little less of growth each month, but for the last 2 months I had not had hardly any growth at all because of the extra stress I was going through. Plus my poor diet choices I'm sure contributed, but I have been noticing also lately that my hair is a little thinner which I think is the after effect of all the stress, etc. :rolleyes:

Siava
July 30th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I've never paid attention so I don't know when it stalls.

ladystar
July 30th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I have not been measuring long enough to tell when it stalls. I am guessing during stressful time it might.

mira-chan
July 30th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Cheddar!:cheese:

My growth has been irregular since I reached classic. Some months it's the regular half inch, sometimes no growth for the month and sometimes an inch growth. For one or two sprinter hairs, up to 2 inches.

Missie
August 1st, 2008, 05:11 AM
because I have grey re-growth which I cover with box dye, I know for certain mine has never stalled..

Curlsgirl
August 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I voted cheddar and I noticed many did. I have a fairly steady growth and I can tell too because of gray coming in or at least I could before I went to a toner from permanent. I think I have an averate 1/2 inch per month maybe sometimes a little more.

nicolezoie
August 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I've been measuring my hair for years and know about when it goes through spurts and when it stalls. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the weather, but alot more to do with my personal weather.

What I mean is if I'm stressed and not eating right, it stalls and sheds. And, when I get like that I don't trim at all, so I end up with more breakage and no noticeable growth. Then, when I come out of my mood, I notice my ends look cruddy and so I trim them up some and next thing I know I'm getting a spurt.

Another thing I've noticed is that during my monthly cycle, I get most of my growth right before my period, then I start shedding for a few days, then when it stalls it's a dead on clear indicator my period's coming. Course these days my hair's sometimes up in the same updo for a handful of days so I'm not too clear on the exact cycling, but I have to say it's more related to my monthly moons than anything else in my life.

Angellen
August 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I've only been measuring for about a year, so I'm not entirely sure about my growth rate. It appears that it grows faster in summer months and fairly consistently (.75") during other months--however, since reaching hip, the growth seems to have slowed to perhaps .5"/mo. I'm optimistic that it will pick up, but it's too soon to tell.

skydancer7
August 7th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Stress and depression not only stall me, but also makes my face break out. When I go on vacation, boom, my skin clears right up! I wish I could be on vacation always... :D

vindo
August 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
My hair growth does never stall.

But stress and poor diet can get me sick = SHED o_O, thats bad too.

JessTheMess
August 8th, 2008, 12:07 PM
i voted stress/ depression. I don't know for sure if it really does because I've never measured until recently finding LHC, but I know that my hair quality definitely changes...dryer, coarser, all around blah

been4eva
August 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
im african....
and u know our hair is..
frikin annoyin!!
i've had short hair almost all of my life...
and i think its time 4 a change...
can any1 help????

Bene
August 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
my hair stalls at BSL :(

Oskimosa
August 11th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Well, I caught some Biotin on sale at Puritan's Pride, so I'm going to give it a shot. I know it might not help at all, but when I looked up foods rich in biotin, I saw that none of them are foods I eat. Oatmeal, for one, is something I am allergic to. So, I'll try it out. Hopefully it will get me out of my slump :p

sipnsun
August 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
My hair hardly grows at all between Dec. and March. Then it grows very slow the rest of the time.:(

Phalaenopsis
August 12th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Stress and poor diet => very bad for my hair and my overall health

Elanor
August 19th, 2008, 04:56 AM
For me stress and poor diet go hand in hand, because when I'm stressed I have no appetite and I have to force myself to eat. Plus, I get sick all the time because of the bad nutrition so no wonder if my hair growth stalls. Now that I don't have a million projects going on at the same time anymore I've been able to relax and my hair is growing like weed :D

tiny_teesha
January 26th, 2009, 06:47 AM
There is an overwhelming amount of people who have locks of cheddar instead of hair on their heads around here....* deep in thought *

lol

Anje
January 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I don't know why mine stalls. Sometimes it grows year round, other times it takes a break. I'm often stressed, but that doesn't seem to correspond, and neither does trimming, and my diet is pretty much the same (OK, not great). My hair just grows on its own schedule.

Canarygirl
June 26th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Bumping up an old thread here.

My hair growth started off with a bang in March/April when I just joined LHC. I was using Megatek, taking biotin, and not eathing very healthfully or exercising. Now in May/June, I'm still using Megatek, reduced biotin dosage, and am eating healthfully and exercising. I think I've had no growth whatsoever! Scratching my head here...:confused: I reduced the biotin because I thought it might have been giving me a rash and contributing to headaches. Those things are somewhat better but I don't know, I might prefer the hair growth!

Flotsum
June 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I did not think my hair stalled until I stopped making an effort to eat healthy. I could have kicked myself when I realized that I may have grown 4 inches that year when I knew I had potential for 7.

AJoifulNoise
June 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM
My growth slows after waist length. I don't know if it picks up after that at all as I've only grown to hip so far.

Finoriel
June 30th, 2009, 06:09 AM
My hair did not stall or slow down yet. Itīs still growing with a growth rate of 1,5" in 2 months. A bit slower during my annual autumn shed or in winter and faster in spring / summer, but thatīs nothing unusual for me.
So I assume if it stalls, then itīs likely that Iīm hitting terminal length then. :wink: Iīm close to knee length, so a permanent stall wouldnīt be too shocking.

LaurelSpring
June 30th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Im voting cheese because I have no idea. I feel currently stalled but I have no idea why and I have only been seriously growing for about a year and a half so I have never really noticed my cycles before. My hair seems to be growing slowly and Ive had a couple of sheds. Its a mystery to me. Im just going to see what happens. Progress is very slow right now.

LaurelSpring
June 30th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I don't know why mine stalls. Sometimes it grows year round, other times it takes a break. I'm often stressed, but that doesn't seem to correspond, and neither does trimming, and my diet is pretty much the same (OK, not great). My hair just grows on its own schedule.

Good to know trimming didnt matter. I really dont honestly believe that trimming makes it grow faster but there are times when I wonder. Im sticking to no trims.

windinherhair
June 30th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I didn't see an option for trimming hair and stalling growth. :) Maybe I have just trimmed off too much over the years to maintain the same length. Or maybe may hair just started to grow slower when it reach this length.

KarpatiiSiv
June 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I voted stress/depression. I had a very stressful job for 13 years and my hair appeared to stall often. I was made redundant from the job 4 months ago which should have stressed me out even more but it appears that not having the job is far less stressful even with looking for another job as my hair is happily growing at the moment. I might even manage to get it past my waist now without it stalling.

zen_oven
July 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Growing locks of cheddar indeed. :D I really just have no idea if I stall or not. I've never really noticed stalls or growth spurts. Back before I found out I was insulin resistant, it did seem like my hair wouldn't grow much. If that was true, it started growing with impunity once I got that problem under control. Maybe I should do a little experiment with measuring at some point and see if do go through stalls and spurts at specific times of year.

Debra83
July 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I voted my growth doesn't stall. At least, I haven't found that to happen yet. I'm covering my new growth with Henna for sure every 3 weeks, and sometimes 2 weeks every so often. I'm still maintaining the positive things I've started since I joined last October. They are really paying off.

drquartz1970
July 6th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I voted cheese, as I haven't notice any stall or variation in my hair growth which is about 6 inches a year on average since I started consciously measuring it 10 months ago. My hair grew 10 cm (or 4 inches) in 8 months so it appears to be growing at a normal pace. It seems to grow the same rate be it winter or summer.

Nanni
July 7th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Poor diet stalls my growth, but also not trimming. When I don't trim, the ends brake off and I don't gain length. I probably don't have to trim as often as I do now when my hair is virgin again. Half my length is chemical dyed and heat dammaged.

gthlvrmx
July 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Im guessing my depression and stress levels cause the changes of growth, sometimes it grows, sometimes it doesn't and in bursts.
I know the weather affects it too, the hotter it is, the more it grows.

christine1989
July 26th, 2011, 11:48 PM
My hair does not really stall- it always grows however it really grew a ton in the past few months for some reason.

Becky9679
July 27th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I've never known my hair growth to stall or stop but it does seem to grow quicker some months than others. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly why yet!

Ligeia_13
July 27th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I think I would have to vote for poor diet here. While I was still living at home and eating my mother's sensible cooking, my hair was very long and healthy, even when it had been dyed and shampooed and what not.

When I moved out for college, I ate the uttermost crap. I'm talking sandwiches with cheese and doritos for lunch and packet noodles from the super market for dinner. No vitamins. And my hair just...disintigrated. I honestly don't recall having a haircut yet in one year it went from elbow to almost apl from all the damage and breaking.

SugarFang
August 2nd, 2011, 06:14 PM
My hair growth slows in the winter months, but also takes a hit when I'm stressed.

kouran
August 4th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I have faster growth during autumn, but most of the time I'm sad/depressed, or underweight, so I don't really know what's my true growth potential.

Jessykins
October 26th, 2011, 03:30 PM
The more I think about my hairs length, the slower it seems to grow :o

RitaPG
October 27th, 2011, 12:20 PM
From my experience, both stress/depression AND poor diet are the main culprits in my hair growth stall.

Shesta
October 27th, 2011, 02:53 PM
My hair is growing steadily unless I get depressed of changes in my surroundings. I'm a kind of Persephone :D yearly moving from south to north Europe, with the latter being not my kind of world. So I easily get depressed by the sudden lack of light and warmth. That seems to affect my hair. Once I acclimatize everything goes back to normal 1.5 cm/month.

owlathena
October 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM
The only thing that I've noticed that appears to cause a stall for me is stress. I've only grown 1/4in in the past two months, and I think its directly related to the amount of stress I've been under. I could be wrong though.

maria_tasha
October 28th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I also blame Stress/depression for slowing my growth. I had a stressful period when I just forgot about my hair and just used shampoo and conditioner (no heat, no coloring, no trimmings) and it just stop growing for a solid 6 months.

Avital88
October 28th, 2011, 04:19 AM
my hair growth is all based on what i eat and take.. although in summer it grows 2" a month without supplements and in winter i need to take them.next summer i'm gonna take supplements in summer too to see what i can get. this summer was crazy.twice i had half an inch of growth after 7 days, i colored my hair so thats why i could see it,after 1 day there was already roots showing and every morning when i woke up i could see my roots becoming more visible ,it was insane.
If i just had stopped coloring i could have at least enjoy the length,instead of my dead ends now.

Amber_Maiden
October 29th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I have no idea if my hair slows down in winter or summer weather, but I do know it slows down if I don't eat right or get stressed out!

MissCoco
October 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Poor diet is the worst culprit, then stress and then the colder seasons for me.

CherrySilver
October 29th, 2011, 06:58 PM
The seasons really don't have anything to do with my hair growth. However, when I haven't taken my supplements or paid attention to my diet as much, I notice it doesn't grow as fast (normally about 3/4"). Same for exercise and scalp massages, but it's a combination of all of the above.

turquoisedays
October 29th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Stress is definitely the culprit for me, especially a few weeks before finals or anything high pressure, and with me the seasons also do not affect my hair growth either.

veronicaM
January 25th, 2012, 06:40 PM
My hair grew a lot faster when I was pregnant (hormones, love them or hate them) and then it slowed down a lot--or at least it seemed like a lot. I learnt from the people that make my shampoo about a lunar hair chart and particular days a month when one should cut her hair so the hair would grow faster and healthier. I gave it a try, now I am waiting :)

Henrietta
January 28th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I voted for cheddar ;) because... I DO have stalls, but I cannot figure out the reason. The only thing I know is that trims make my hair grow faster, but what makes it stop... I have had very stressful time now, I have rather poor diet these days and my hair has just beaten it's monthly growth record. It has it's own logic, I guess :)

Shepherdess
September 26th, 2015, 11:40 PM
I found this thread and wanted to bump it back up! :)

My hair growth seems to stall in the wintertime more. It also definitely stalls under stress and not maintaining a diet with enough healthy wholesome food.

mcgg417
September 30th, 2015, 08:54 AM
ERG BLERG :brickwall winter is the worst for hair growth in my experience :(

Zindell
October 7th, 2015, 03:57 AM
My hair grows a lot during spring and summer, then slows down considerably during autumn and winter. (Northern hemisphere)

DollyDagger
October 7th, 2015, 07:38 AM
I've never paid such close attention to it in the past. I will report back though, now that I will be :)

Key
October 7th, 2015, 02:05 PM
I know mine slows in the winter and a particularly stressful semester fall of 2012 probably contributed to the stall I experienced around mid-back.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 21st, 2016, 11:44 PM
I honestly have no idea. My hair stalls randomly, but I also dont seem to "notice" the growth until one day, boom, my layers look a little longer or I hit a new milestone.
I vote cheese, I dont measure but I know I stall, I just dont know when or why.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2016, 08:58 AM
I don't think I've ever had a period of time where my hair stopped actually growing, slower, yes, even very slow, faster... not really, but really totally coming to a halt, that's rare for me.

MudderOfDragunz
December 22nd, 2016, 03:07 PM
I do go through seasonal sheds, usually one during summer and one during winter, but my growth stalls tend to happen at specific lengths. I just got past a stall from collar bone to BSL, which I think I'm finally past and then if history is any indication I'll have another stall once I hit waist. After that my hair shot town to classic at a pretty decent rate.

Margrit
September 20th, 2018, 05:55 AM
My hair growth stalls/slows in warm weather.