PDA

View Full Version : cow lick querey...

ylime
April 17th, 2012, 04:13 AM
hello all!

My friend has a question about what to do with her cow lick (or hair whorl maybe...?) on her side fringe near the scalp. She was wondering what is the best way to overcome/combat one
(flipping fringe side didn't work, it was still there)

any help would be super appreciated!!!

littleizz
April 17th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I have one in my hairline that's just above my left eye. I'm not sure what you mean by her flipping it, but I will say it's not likely she will be able to beat it. You just have to find a way to work with it. I can't count the number of times I've tried going for the straight-across blunt bangs saying I would beat my cowlick into submission. It doesn't work. Her best bet is to stick with side bangs :)

whitedove
April 17th, 2012, 05:04 AM
When I get up in the mornings half my fringe is vertical because of cowlick. When washing face I dampen fringe and then place a velcro roller in it. My fringe isnt long so it dont take long to dry. Main problem is remembering that the roller is in the fringe :D

Jessy22284
April 17th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I actually have two cowlicks on my fringe :demon: one in the middle and one on the extreme right - and my stylist convinced my to switch the side I part my hair (to the left!!) - despite telling her that my cowlicks would not allow it. She taught me how to train them. I had to clip my bangs over every night when I slept for about a month and also when I would style my hair with a blow dryer. I'm not sure that now with LHC - ways it would be worth it. But my hair is trained to the left. I'm pretty sure the cowlicks are still there. I'd imagine it has to do with how severe they are. I'd still defer to someone here with more experience than me, however.

ylime
April 17th, 2012, 05:32 AM
thank you for your lovely replies, such valuable information! :D

I shall tell her tomorrow, and post what she says afterwards :)

tgagurl27
April 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM
I have a huge cowlick in pretty much my whole fringe area. I find that it's easier to moneuvre it to one articular side but sometimes if I try really hard I can put it the other way. I used to have a fringe but it was a lot of work to keep it from sticking straight up on end. You can get one of those mini straightner's as they can get quite close to the roots and straighten downwards. Sometimes I find that when my hair is wet I comb it to the side I want and keep it in that position as it drys and it stays down better. Don't know if that helps. But you can live with them. Most hair dressers say "oh no you can't possibly have a fringe with a cow lick" but you most probably can, you just have to be aware that its not going to be a no maintenance thing.

ylime
April 18th, 2012, 03:57 AM
i showed her this thread, and she was a little dissapointed that she cannot "undo" the cowlick, that it seems like a permanant feature.

nevertheless she was most greatful for the detailed responses :D

torrilin
April 18th, 2012, 09:28 AM
If you look through the various threads on cowlicks, you'll notice that a lot of times folks with them are 1c or even curlier. Also, if you can find hair typing pictures of the folks complaining most, often their curl/wave pattern is not super uniform. I'd guess your friend is a closeted curly or wavy. Or not so closeted maybe, and just wanting a hair style that doesn't work well with her natural hair type.

Sadly, you can only go so far in making hair take a certain style against type.