PDA

View Full Version : Going Against a Natural Part?

MaraJSkywalker
April 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I have been trying to keep my hair put up lately, to keep it out of my face, and part of the way I put it up requires that I pull it straight back so there is no part and clip it there. Is it not a good idea to work against a part?

Bopoluchi
April 16th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I think it's an awesome idea to work against a natural part. if you keep your hair parted in the same way for a long period of time, the part can thin out as the hair there is the most exposed and vulnerable (this has happened to me). also, if your hair is pulled back too tight, the hair at your hairline can thin (this has also happened to me), so it might be an idea to make sure your hair is not tight at the front. :)

Allychan
April 16th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Traction alopecia and buffalo tracks is what happens when you part too often and cause too much tension from hairstyles tied too tight.
Got a visitor and will come back to this:run:

I'm back. The tension pulls hair out or brakes them off, too much parting can have a similar effect. The buffalo track (your part) widens over time then it becomes really permanent

Anje
April 16th, 2012, 07:41 PM
There's nothing wrong with pulling your hair back or parting it in a different place. That alone won't harm it.

However, as Allychan says, you don't want to pull your hair back really tightly, no matter whether it's parted or not. Do this regularly for a long time, and you risk getting "traction alopecia." That's when your hair starts to recede from where it's being pulled tightly from, whether that means that your part(s) is(are) widening, or your hairline is drifting backward from your forehead or where your fringe is. Vary your styles and don't do styles facelift-tight.

swearnsue
April 16th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Vary your styles and don't do styles facelift-tight.

Rats, facelift-tight was my next idea for a makeover! Oh well.

annamoonfairy
April 16th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I think it parting in diffrent areas is a good thing. I style in diffrent parts several times a week.

sfgirl
April 17th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I never change my part. I've had the same part since when I was 15, when I had an eyebrow piercing and wanted to show it off. I don't have a really wide part, though my hair is thiner there, but this has always been the case with me.

MaraJSkywalker
April 17th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone! :) I will make sure I don't pull it back too hard. Also, I got to wondering, will pulling it back constantly like that get rid of the part? I have trouble creating a few hairstyles due the fact that my hair will fall back into its part, instead of staying pulled straight back.

jeanniet
April 17th, 2012, 05:25 PM
No, it won't, at least I don't think it will for anyone who has a strong natural part. I can part my hair anywhere on my head (and I do try to change up parts), but if, heaven forbid, I were to turn my head upside down and shake it, and then turn it back up again, the hair would settle along my natural part every time. Some people don't have as strong a natural part, but it sounds like you do, so it'll probably always be there.

Alix
April 17th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I don't think it would get rid of it. I have issues getting a part to stick. My hair doesn't like them. So the opposite problem but I still can't train my hair.

Eirelin
April 17th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have flipped my part back and forth many, many times throughout my life, but I do often end up with it on the right because of a huge cowlick on the front.

I have tried really hard to avoid tying it back tightly (or even at all, to tell the truth), but it is starting to thin there (maybe because I will be 40 in 22 days--:boohoo:???), so I have been thinking about switching back to the other side.

But now the bangs are cut to be swept over to the left...

Sigh.

I think I will just grow them out and go back to flipping them back and forth every week or month or so. At least the temple thinning should be pretty much even that way.