PDA

View Full Version : Is It Too Soon?

AmandaKoiter
April 16th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone.... I am a newbie and I was just wondering at what length should I start oiling and or/deep moisturizing my hair? My hair is currently 6" off of the top and 3" at the back of my head. I have a ton of layers (growing out from 1" pixie) and the longest are at about chin length. My hair is in pretty good condition, as it is all virgin, and I have been CO and WO off and on, every 2 to 3 days, for about 1 1/2 years. I know that with length comes unavoidable breakage, but I am hoping to keep my hair as healthy and shiny as possible throughout the growth process. Is it too soon to begin oiling my hair? I'm pretty sure that it would be impossible at this length to avoid oiling my scalp, so I think I would have to oil before a wash day. Am I a little premature to jump on the oiling and deep moisturizing band wagon? And does anyone have any maintenance suggestions for tresses that are super duper short? Thanks in advance everyone!!!

holothuroidea
April 16th, 2012, 06:38 PM
It's nice to be able to put your hair up before you start oiling because other wise you can get oily bits of hair on your face.

Other than that, though, there is no reason not to start trying. Now is a good time for experimenting and seeing what you hair likes and doesn't like.

A trick for getting oil on your ends but not your roots at this length is to rub a drop of oil in your hands and let your ends just sort of brush up against your hands.

PurplePenguin
April 16th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I oil my hair and it isn't that long - just above shoulder. I don't think it is too soon to start oiling, I don't think there is such a thing but I might be wrong. I would suggest buying a satin sleep cap and or a satin pillowcase. SMT are a god send, I would do a search on LHC to get the recipe. I typically put oil into a mister bottle, I usually put just a little bit of oils into a 8oz bottle of water, you really don't need that much oil. Heavy oilings I do every now and then. I would definitely look around on here, there is such a wealth of information.

caiti42
April 16th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I don't think it's ever too soon :) just try to keep it off your roots to avoid greasies.
:)

BrightEyes
April 16th, 2012, 07:32 PM
My hair is an inch above my shoulders and I use an oil/butter blend on my ends. I've noticed a huge improvement in the condition of my hair since I've been doing this. IMO, it's never too early to start:)