PDA

View Full Version : Head and Shoulders hair loss

Jasonc126
April 16th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Does Head and Shoulders really cause hair loss or is this just a myth?

sfgirl
April 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
My hair did shed a lot more when I used it, but IDK if that's because of it, because it was also before LHC

Anywhere
April 16th, 2012, 08:13 PM
If you have scalp issues/dandruff that get fixed by the head and shoulders, and it would otherwise cause you to scratch/pick at your scalp if you didn't use it, I would think it would help prevent hair loss.

My brother and dad have been using head and shoulders for 10+ years, and while they don't have "long" hair (brothers is longer, at maybe 3"), they are not bald/don't have bald patches showing hair loss, nor does it look like they have thinner hair than they used to.

So I'd say unless your scalp is sensitive to head and shoulders, it shouldn't cause hair loss.

Illr Kona
April 17th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I have used it many years and am not bald, far from it in fact...
But I have now stopped using it and am opting for a more natural solution, it also does not work well for me.

lapushka
April 17th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I used it for a while too, sometimes it's still a part of my routine. No, I don't see more hair loss from it.

joyfulchiara
April 17th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I've been using this for years with no hair loss. (It's the ONLY shampoo that I don't have an allergic reaction too!)

Thenolegirl
April 27th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Hey everyone, sorry if there is a thread for this or this belongs somewhere else. I'm still picking my way through the forums.

So...what is the consensus for Head&Shoulders Eucalyptus shampoo? It's like a shampoo/conditioner duo. I don't know if this is a sinful shampoo for LHC members lol!

My scalp is really itchy and I'm starting to see dandruff. I've used it quite a bit but I've heard rumors that it makes hair fall out. Not really seeing any shedding. Right now I'm washing my hair every four days with heavy oiling the night before a wash. It's the only shampoo I have now and I'm getting good results so far... but I don't want excessive shedding!:confused:

lapushka
April 27th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Here you go. This is a thread from about a week ago:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92223&highlight=head+shoulders

Thenolegirl
April 27th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Thank you! Sorry for the redundant thread then. :o I did do a search on here and didn't get the thread.

janeytilllie
April 28th, 2012, 02:32 AM
I've been using Head&Shoulders and generic brands of it for over a year. I have had no problems with shedding. In fact my scalp and hair is alot more happier. :)

My DF has been using it for 6 years. He has very thick, healthy, waist length hair. He has never had problems with it.

janeytilllie
April 28th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I use Head&Shoulders 2 in1 and generic brands of it.

I suffer dandruff and the shampoo clears it away for me.
It leaves my hair shiny and full of volume. I've never had problems with shedding or itchy scalp with it.

I've been using it over a year.

My hair shedded way more with natural shampoos e.g sulfate free, shampoo bars, egg washing etc. My hair is healthier with Head &Shoulders.

My DF has been using it for 6 years. He has very healthy, very thick, long hair and has never had shedding problems with H&S.

If it's working for you with no problems keep using it :)

auburntressed
April 28th, 2012, 03:06 AM
I haven't used it since I started using henna, so it has been many years.

When I did use it, I never noticed any significant or noticeable hair loss. I used it for over 10 years in an attempt to control dandruff... but it was a losing battle the entire time. It never worked. However, it also did not seem to cause any adverse effects worse than any other type of shampoo.

florenonite
April 28th, 2012, 03:31 AM
If it works for you, use it. From an anecdotal perspective, I used H&S as a teen and had thick hair; DF uses it and is a solid iii.

That aside, coconut oil massaged into the scalp before a wash can help with dandruff.

Hiriel
April 28th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Anecdotal evidence is the best evidence ;P
My boyfriend uses H&S for his dandruff (which is crazy if he doesn't use H&S, and absolutely non-existent if he does) and he has the thickest hair I've ever seen. I swear, if he grew it out his thickness would rival UltraBella and the other super-iii's here.

I've been using it lately as well, since I've developed flaking and itchy scalp, but it doesn't seem to help. I suspect my flaking might not be dandruff, but dry skin instead, but anyway H&S hasn't caused me to lose hair, even if it doesn't work for me.