PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy hair...

Kumiko033
April 16th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Ok so I'm having this weird problem..

My hair, smells, like cheese.

I don't know how. It has been almost a month now?

I've tried washing more, less. I, I just don't understand this.

I am so sorry if it is too much info lol. It's just really bothering me since I don't want to wash my hair often - especialy cause of my hair-type. :run:

So ehm yeah, I'll just leave this here....

:cheese:

amybru
April 16th, 2012, 01:43 PM
hello you might want to consider washing your brushes and combs and anything else you put in or through your hair as they may be harbouring bacteria that is causing the smell.

Kumiko033
April 16th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I haven't been brushing my hair for already 2 months now or even longer, I detangle with CO..but still a smart idea for my BBB when i want to use it again, thnx xD

spidermom
April 16th, 2012, 01:51 PM
In addition to amybru's suggestion, make sure you are washing the area around and behind your ears. When I get that stinky cheese smell, it is always right behind my ears.

Kumiko033
April 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Also, doing that since I have several piercings, I use a Ph-balance soap behind/over my ears. I just can't get my mind into this. I didn't change anything.

I even checked my pillow, but I switch that also every 2 weeks :(

Madora
April 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Have you eaten anything different? Taken meds you don't usually take?

Perhaps you could try washing your hair every 3 weeks and see how things go.

I'd definitely use a clean comb every day if you don't use a brush.

mzBANGBANG
April 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I noticed that when I get my BBB wet it smells like cheese! I know you said you seldom use it, just trying to piece together the mystery :cheese:

Kumiko033
April 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I've only replaced my diary with soy products but that's already going on for a few months.

and what I meant was that no comb, brush or BBB has touched my hair in a long while, only detangling with CO in the shower.

I will def. wash it now, normally my sebum had no scent..more, a bit fur-like if that makes sense.

Kumiko033
April 16th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the input as well, it's driving me mad xD!

lapushka
April 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM
There's been another poster on here who is CO-washing, complaining of smelly hair. Maybe it's altogether smart to sometimes use a shampoo in between CO-washing - don't know. Just throwing that out there.

Avital88
April 16th, 2012, 05:35 PM
There's been another poster on here who is CO-washing, complaining of smelly hair. Maybe it's altogether smart to sometimes use a shampoo in between CO-washing - don't know. Just throwing that out there.

im thinking the same :)

Kumiko033
April 17th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I don't CO-wash, only in between. I shampoo every 3 days but even after a few hours of shampooing - it smells like..yuck x.x

carolinaberry
April 17th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Have you tried washing your scalp with a medicated shampoo?

Kumiko033
April 17th, 2012, 12:22 AM
No I haven't yet, I still own one though but I didn't expect it would come that far :D..

sycamoreboutiqu
April 17th, 2012, 12:37 AM
No I haven't yet, I still own one though but I didn't expect it would come that far :D..

I would definitely suspect a yeast condition. Yeast has a specific odor to it, but it could also be fungal.

We have been having a running discussion in another thread about fungal/yeast overgrowth on the scalp causing many of the scalp issues that people suffer from. I think this is a very common problem and I am convinced my scalp issues with itchy, scabby patches are connected.

I just tried something yesterday that we discussed there. The Listerine scalp treatment. Listerine (or the offbrands that simulate it) has 3 active ingredients that are all anti-fungal and anti-bacterial but they aren't overly harsh.

I started my usual CO - saturated scalp with conditioner. Right before rinsing I poured some minty Listerine on my scalp and massaged it in for a minute. It mixed well with the conditioner and smelled and felt lovely.

So far so good. My scalp feels normal again. It will be interesting to see if the results last more than a few days as usually the problem returns by day 3. Without scalp issues I can stretch washes to 8 days without any oilyness but when the scalp gets icky I can't go more than 4.

Fantak
April 17th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I agree with the last post that it's probably a mild fungal problem. This can happen when you upset the pH balance of your scalp (irritation, hormones, anything really).

I suggest using virgin coconut oil on your scalp before you wash (leave on for at least 20 mins) and then after your hair is dry take a tiny amount and massage it into your scalp.

Coconut oil has anti-fungal properties and won't dry out your scalp and irritate it.

Give it a try for a week and if it doesn't work then maybe move on to medicated shampoos etc.

Best of luck :)

kittensoupnrice
April 17th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I agree with everybody else. It might be a microflora imbalance in your scalp causing the smell.

Medicated shampoos work, but if you're reluctant to try that, you could try a mild acid rinse (like with ACV) after COing and see if the acidity will help redress things.

embee
April 17th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Your shampoo may have changed, even if you're using the same brand. They *do* that and it is most annoying.

But my personal feeling is you've got a bacterial or fungal or yeast thing going. :(

Have you done anything different with your diet? Didn't you say something about soy and dairy?