PDA

View Full Version : Shea Moisture for dry caucasian hair?

goldcopperbrown
April 15th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Hi guys! So recently I picked up a bottle of Shea moisture at the store...I got the moisture shampoo, conditioner and treatment. I also got the anti-breakage/thickening lotion and I felt it made my hair a little stiff (maybe I'll try it again).

Anyway, I have the conditioner on right now and I haven't rinsed it off. My only concern is that I know this is marketed for curlier/kinkier hair...mine is straight/wavy but just VERY dry. Anyone else with my hair type use this stuff?

yummie
April 15th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I have asian hair and use the shampoo.. It's very moisturizing which i like but it weighs my hair down too much.. so probably won't repurchase.

Laylah
April 15th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Well, I'm only half caucasian, but I really like shea butter. I'm not sure what's in that bottle of Shea Moisture, but regular shea butter works really well for my hair. It's TBL, combination of tight waves and curls, thick and dry. Some products marketed for kinky/afro hair work well for me.

LadyKate
April 15th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I have very fine, fairly thin, light blonde, wavy/wurly hair, I use shea moisture, and I ADORE it! It makes my hair super soft, it smells amazing, and my hair is way healthier since I started using it. Can't say enough good things!

skaempfer
April 15th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I asume you're talking about a specific brand. I haven't used it because like almost everything else cool mentioned in this forum, it is unavailable in this country, but I have used shea butter containing products many times.

My hair is so dry, that I rarely find stuff that's too heavy. Let us know how you get on.

ETA: ha ha. I've looked this stuff up now, and it sounds wonderful. If it doesn't work for you, you can mail me the rest of the bottle, lol :D

But seriously, how did it go?

swearnsue
April 16th, 2012, 08:59 AM
One of my favorite conditioners has shea butter and I'm mostly causcasian.

HintOfMint
April 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Since you listed your hair as fine and straight/wavy, products that are heavy in shea butter might be too heavy for you.

Shea butter tends to work on coarse wavy/curly hair, regardless of ethnicity. Sorry to nitpick, but it's really hairtype that determines efficacy of products and the ethnicity thing is just marketing :blossom:

Cleopatra18
April 16th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Shea moisture is not available in my country but I use another deep conditioner with shea butter and my hair likes it.
ETA: Totally irrelevant but your avatar kinda looks like sandra bullock LOL

rock007junkie
April 16th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I don't pay attention to those labels. Most of the products I use are marketed towards African Americans. They just happen to work well on me so who cares.

Tia2010
April 16th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I love Shea butter and couldn't wait to try this line. Sadly, it didn't agree with my hair :( It just didn't give me enough moisture or slip. It felt tangley and dry afterward. But on a positive note , I really like the body bars from this line. They smell and feel really nice.

jesis
April 16th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Most of what I use on my hair has shea butter in it (I use Redken Real Control and Suave Professionals Shea and Almond), it works wonders for my hair and I have wavy hair. Never tried this before, though.

~BoHemiAngel~
April 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I was excited to try this product because I have very dry hair like you... although mine is a bit wavier at a 2b/2c. I tried it and unfortunately it didn't work well for my hair. It was so heavy and it took forever to rinse out, even after a couple minutes of rinsing there was still a ton left in my hair and it caused a lot of buildup on my scalp. Smells nice and the ingredients are wonderful, but it just didn't do anything for my hair except weigh it down. Boo :(

Nae
May 29th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I just bought this shampoo and the deep treatment conditioner and the curl cream. My hair has never been happier. Just had to tell you all.

jeanniet
May 29th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I have the moisture retention shampoo, which I love but don't use a lot because I'm mostly CO. I absolutely LOVE the coconut & hibiscus curl & style milk. It is very moisturizing and saved my hair. I can't tell you how great this stuff is! It has tons of slip and you can use it as a rinse out conditioner, a leave in, mix with water in a spray bottle, etc. If your hair is dry, I highly recommend it. It may take you a little while to figure out the best way to use it, but don't give up, because it will do wonders for your hair. I do have wavy/curly hair, but I don't think that matters all that much. Don't get too hung up on how products are marketed. Often the most moisturizing products are marketed for curly or kinky hair, but that doesn't mean they won't work for straighter hair. Sometimes the products are heavier, and you probably don't want that, but the SM milk is pretty light.

Kherome
May 29th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I have the moisture milk from this line, and it works great on my fine Caucasian hair.

RavennaNight
May 29th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I have used various products from Shea Moisture, and have loved them all. The yucca @ baobab thickening growth milk is actually quite nice as a leave in, and wasn't what I was expecting. I already have (sometimes excessive) volume, and dont have thin hair issues and was concerned it would behave like a styling creme and be sticky. It wasn't, and it conditioned great.

cheetahfast
May 30th, 2013, 03:55 AM
I use the coconut and shea lines, never the anti breakage...it sounds like you have protein overload!

All of their products have protein and I think the anti breakage one has more. Try doing a moisture treatment and seeing how your hair reacts. I switch out my conditioner every 3rd wash for a moisture one to avoid too much protein.

I usually use the shea butter conditioner and shampoo and follow up with natural shea butter or nightbloomings winter protein free pancea. I use the curly coconut smoothie leave in too, but usually after a moisturizing wash because it is protein heavy too.

Protein build up results in dry sometimes snappy hair, I had it and didn't realize it and blamed my products.

ETA: My hair is naturally dry too, I find stiffness to mean it is a protein overload/drier than usual. Maybe check if you old products had protein in them too.

jacqueline101
May 30th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Only thing I can suggest is to try it.

torrilin
May 30th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I haven't tried Shea Moisture products since a lot of fragrances mess me up. My hair slurps up Alaffia's Everyday Shea conditioner and gets on fine with some of their Beautiful Curls products.

I have occasionally found some shea butter derived conditioners to leave a waxy residue on my hair, but most of the time if that happens, it's because the product does contain waxes. Jojoba oil is technically a liquid wax, and that's fine. Stuff labelled as emulsifying wax has always been fine so far. But I get twitchy about other waxes, since they don't always rinse out well.

I don't find straight shea butter works all that well on my hair either, so too much of a good thing is possible. But I think that's more an absorption issue than anything else.

jimnyo
December 5th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I have the moisture milk from this line, and it works great on my fine Caucasian hair.

how do you use the moisture milk--leave in or rinse out, co? is this the same as the curl milk?

I use the coconut and shea lines, never the anti breakage...it sounds like you have protein overload!

All of their products have protein and I think the anti breakage one has more. Try doing a moisture treatment and seeing how your hair reacts. I switch out my conditioner every 3rd wash for a moisture one to avoid too much protein.

I usually use the shea butter conditioner and shampoo and follow up with natural shea butter or nightbloomings winter protein free pancea. I use the curly coconut smoothie leave in too, but usually after a moisturizing wash because it is protein heavy too.

Protein build up results in dry sometimes snappy hair, I had it and didn't realize it and blamed my products.

ETA: My hair is naturally dry too, I find stiffness to mean it is a protein overload/drier than usual. Maybe check if you old products had protein in them too.

is this protein overload thing an issue for all types of hair, or just fine or curly types? what ingredients are protein? will it say "protein"?

ExpectoPatronum
December 5th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm Caucasian and use the the Shea Moisture line shampoo and conditioners. However, I am Italian and have very thick, dry, coarse, curly hair. The Moisture Retention Shampoo is my all-time favorite shampoo. It really helped when my hair was going through a protein overload (which happens a little too easily...).

koolkittychick
December 5th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I rarely pay attention to labels or who products are marketed to--most of my staples are from Paul Mitchell, which is marketed to Caucasian women. Only one product from the Shea Moisture brand works well on my hair; everything else just causes it to mat and tangle horribly. :( Go with what works best with your hair, and ignore the labels.

Kherome
December 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Fine Caucasian hair here...I use the moisture milk in that line. Fabulous!

RachelRose
January 3rd, 2015, 09:53 PM
Love the smell but not a fan of this line overall . The conditioner and mask just sat on my hair didn't moisturized at all and the shampoo weighed my hair down :/ Then again it wasn't intended for my hair type .

chen bao jun
January 4th, 2015, 04:34 PM
My friend with super fine Scandinavian blonde hair has seen a lot of improvement in her hair with afriar American products and loves them, I don't think Caucasian or African makes as much difference as fine or coarse, oily or dry. I do well with Asian products even though I m hyper curly because I am also coarse. At least I did well in Taiwan. Shea moisture is a great brand with mild products, I think it would be good unless you are very oily.

x0h_bother
December 8th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I'm using the purple bottle Superfruit 10-in-1 shampoo smells good works even better. It's feels like i get a lot of slip but clean but not squeak clean.

Moonfaerie
April 5th, 2016, 03:51 AM
I jus bought some of the shampoo for my wurly hair and I love it. I only wash once a week though so I don't know if it would weigh my hair down more if I used it more often.

April 5th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Tried pure shea butter and it doesn't agree with either my skin nor hair. For some reason it dries me out. And is hard to remove from hair. Also dries my skin out and gives it pimples at the same time, huh.

Winterwitch
April 5th, 2016, 07:38 AM
I recently bought the manuka line from shea moisture. For the first time in months, my scalp remained completely grease-free for 4 days. It didn't feel weighed down at all, it wasn't greasy in the slightest. I only washed it again today (the fourth day) because I wanted to do castor oil today (which I wash out after 20 minutes.)
It's incredibly impressive, I didn't think I could get my hair balanced this fast. I'd dare say it's a miracle. My hair wasn't weighed down, it was quite bouncy. It wasn't chunky or stringy like many oil-heavy conditioners leave it. I'm so pleased. It also smells lightly of figs and the scent lingers, which is a positive for me. I'm probably going to try another line of shea moisture soon.
Don't be afraid to use the manuka line from shea moisture.

Groovy Granny
April 5th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Fine caucasian hair here too.

I loved Shea Moisture S&C but FAIR HEADS BEWARE; ARGAN OIL PRODUCTS CAN STAIN.

I was able to remove it from my silver/white after a few clarifying shampoos :p amd was sad to have to discontinue use.

They do make a great body washes and shave creams though LOL

AutobotsAttack
April 5th, 2016, 09:24 AM
i don't really see a problem using these line of products, even though I am of an ethnicity with curlier/kinkier hair, I still have to dilute their products because they weigh my hair down since I have EXTREMELY fine hair, but other than that I see no reason to at least try it out, and see if you like it or not.