PDA

View Full Version : Potentially Big Chop and Colour...aka Change

elfgirl
April 15th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I've come to the decision that I want to start over with my hair. I've loved attempting to grow it out, and the oils, and have been embracing my natural colour for pretty much my entire life, but I want to start over.

On Thursday, I'll be going up to see my friend who is a hairdresser, and she's going to trim/cut my hair, and then we're going to dye it a honey blonde, with a burgundy or some sort of red panel in the middle. :D

I say trim/cut because I'm not sure how much we're going to have to take off. The last time I got it trimmed in October of last year, she took off 3 inches, and that put me at just above BSL. Not sure how much will come off this time (despite my best efforts, the ends have gotten pretty bad again), but I have told her that I still want to be able to do a plain English braid, and have it up in a tiny bun, if possible.

I know, I know, chemical dyes and foil and eeekkk. But I'm doing this as a start over, if that makes any sense.

I've had my hair it's natural really dark blonde/light brown colour for the past 9 years or so, and it's been at varying lengths since then. The shortest was at almost just above APL somewhere towards the start of the 9 years ago, I can't really remember.

Basically, I want to enjoy this colour for at least a while, and then dye it back close to my natural colour, and eventually grow out the dye, and start over. I am aware that this may take a while, but I'm willing and wanting to make that change, and take the time.

I'll still keep up with using my oils, and doing the no blow fryer use, and stretching washes as much as I can, my hair will just be dyed and slightly shorter. I'm not doing this in defiance of anyone or anything, and I don't mean to cause any offense or anything to the community here (that is not my intent at all), I'm just writing to let whoever reads this know of my upcoming change, and that one day I will return to my natural colour, and grow my hair to at least Hip ;)

But for now, I'm enjoying the last few days of light brown, and am looking forward to this new stage in my hair journey :)

mzBANGBANG
April 15th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I'll still keep up with using my oils, and doing the no blow fryer use, and stretching washes as much as I can, my hair will just be dyed and slightly shorter. I'm not doing this in defiance of anyone or anything, and I don't mean to cause any offense or anything to the community here (that is not my intent at all), I'm just writing to let whoever reads this know of my upcoming change, and that one day I will return to my natural colour, and grow my hair to at least Hip ;)

But for now, I'm enjoying the last few days of light brown, and am looking forward to this new stage in my hair journey :)

Don't apologize for doing something for yourself! There's nothing wrong with a change especially if you're accepting of the consequences. When I joined here I promised myself I'd never highlight my hair again due to learning about the damage... then I thought, well... my hair wasn't too bad before and now that I really know how to take care of it, it will be the best it can be with lightening. :) Dyed/lightened hair definitely feels different than natural hair so that might be the only thing that will take getting used to. Otherwise, I say go for it. I personally love hair expression and wish I was fearless enough to do more :D Can't wait to see pics!

elfgirl
April 16th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Don't apologize for doing something for yourself! There's nothing wrong with a change especially if you're accepting of the consequences. When I joined here I promised myself I'd never highlight my hair again due to learning about the damage... then I thought, well... my hair wasn't too bad before and now that I really know how to take care of it, it will be the best it can be with lightening. :) Dyed/lightened hair definitely feels different than natural hair so that might be the only thing that will take getting used to. Otherwise, I say go for it. I personally love hair expression and wish I was fearless enough to do more :D Can't wait to see pics!

Thank you so much! :D I've thought it over, and have realised that I know more now about taking care of my hair now then I did before joining here, so all should be well :) I will definitely get pics :D I'd say go for it to you as well, whenever you wish, or are inspired! :)

KrystalPixie
April 23rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
Good Luck!!

melusine963
April 23rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Your hair already looks pretty blonde in your avatar (must be the sunlight), so I was confused for a moment there. I hope you like your new style, and I hope you'll show us pictures when it's all done.

elfgirl
April 29th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I went ahead and did the cut last week, my hair is around APL now, and I'm so happy! It's easier to maintain, and I've gotten so many compliments on it. I'm thinking I'll stay at this length for a while, actually.

My friend got a really bad migrane just as she was finishing cutting my hair....I want to give her a little medal or something for finishing, I'm serious. She apologised profusely, but I told her it was okay, to go lay down, rest, and that I would make sure her young daughter (5 y-o) had dinner and went to bed on time :) So we didn't do the dye then, but I'll be going up sometime in the next few weeks to do so. Hopefully the picture issue on here will be fixed by then, and I can get pics up :)

elfgirl
April 29th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Your hair already looks pretty blonde in your avatar (must be the sunlight), so I was confused for a moment there. I hope you like your new style, and I hope you'll show us pictures when it's all done.

Yes, the sunlight was adding to the blonde factor in my avatar. My hair is naturally a really really dark blonde/light brunette. Some of my friends are actually on opposite sides as to what they think my hair colour is. A few of them, and I think it's brunette. My mum, dad, and a few other friends insist that i'm a dark blonde :p

But I'm looking forward to the new style too. I figure that if the blonde is too light for/doesn't look good on me, we can always just dye the top part red, too, and then I'll have red hair ;)