PDA

View Full Version : Question for Henna Experts

carolinaberry
April 15th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hi. I apologize if this has been discussed. I don't have a lot of luck with finding exactly what I am looking for with the search option.

I am growing out a lot of damage. I am definitely interested in switching over to henna from commercial dyes. I used to always dye my hair red, and I love red hair, but for a while I want to stay closer to my natural color.

Is it possible to achieve a dark chestnutty color with henna or henndigo or anything natural? Or is my best bet for no damage to use those lasts-through-28-shampoo dyes until I grow it out to the point I'm ready to go redder?

If it is possible to achieve a chestnut-ish color with the natural dyes, can one of you point me towards how to achieve certain colors?

Thank you

Allychan
April 15th, 2012, 05:39 PM
You can vary the shades of the red to add browner tones by adding indigo. I love this sight, although I do not purchase from them, they have heaps of really good info about henna etc http://hennaforhair.com/ stroll around the site and you will find what you are looking for :)

mooglewoo
April 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Adding things to henna such as cassia and indigo can achieve a range of colors/hues. The site allychan mentioned is very good, and I have also used some recipes from mehandi.com as well to achieve brown, before I decided to do two-step black about 4 years ago, and never turned back lolz

MonaMayfair
April 16th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Always remember to do strand tests though!
The results of henna (and whatever you mix with it) depend on the starting color of your hair and also the condition (how porous it is, what dyes you might have used on it) so what color you end up with is not easily predictable.

Because it's permanent in a way chemical color isn't, you need to be cautious and make sure you know how it will turn out.
Also remember it gets darker with each application, so if you get your ideal color, just do the roots from then on.

MonaMayfair
April 16th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Always remember to do strand tests though!
The results of henna (and whatever you mix with it) depend on the starting color of your hair and also the condition (how porous it is, what dyes you might have used on it) so what color you end up with is not easily predictable.

Because it's permanent in a way chemical color isn't, you need to be cautious and make sure you know how it will turn out.
Also remember it gets darker with each application, so if you get your ideal color, just do the roots from then on.

lastnite
April 16th, 2012, 04:52 AM
if you want something premixed maybe check out lush brand caca marron or brun.. I see people achieve nice natural shades of brown with them.

MonaMayfair
April 16th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Sorry for the double post. My computer claimed it hadn't worked the first time!

Anainwonderland
April 17th, 2012, 12:16 AM
U can! either by mixing a henna that is known for a lighter red/orange with cassia and indigo also u can add nutmeg, earl grey tea or other teas instead of water, other brown in color spices and if u have a lot of damage i would suggest some cocoanut or olive oil to the mix. It also depends on the color your starting with. if i were u i would use a semi close to the color u want to have like chestnut brown or dark brown then do henna / indigo glosses or you can mix your henna with a veg dye like special effects or manic panic.

Anainwonderland
April 17th, 2012, 12:17 AM
if you want something premixed maybe check out lush brand caca marron or brun.. I see people achieve nice natural shades of brown with them.

Lush's Caca brun would work GREAT!!! it comes out the most beautiful shade of natural brown i have seen with henna. It is a good mix of Lawson and indigo

carolinaberry
April 17th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Thank you for all of the suggestions!

Unofficial_Rose
April 20th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Lush's Caca brun would work GREAT!!! it comes out the most beautiful shade of natural brown i have seen with henna. It is a good mix of Lawson and indigo

Agreed! But I find the indigo part fades a little, so to stop it going too red/dark I have been using 50% cassia, 25% amla and 25% caca brun. It stays nearer a light brown that way. Lush is very conditioning because of the coca butter. It also fades quicker, so it's harder to overdo it and end up with something too dark/permamnent.

sarahbrownie
April 21st, 2012, 03:39 AM

Seconded! :D

Amber_Maiden
April 21st, 2012, 09:41 AM
Just a heads up- the Lush henna is more of a gloss and will fade rather fast, unlike real henna or indigo mixes.