PDA

View Full Version : Pin curls anyone?

Hollyfire3
April 15th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I need some help, and this time I will spare everyone the my hair is heat damaged and screwed rant. On this journey to healthy hair, I have come to the conclusion, it is slowly getting better...slowlllyyyy that is. So, now I am stuck with wavy/curly bits that just look MESSY. Although I would LOVE my curls and volume back NOW, I can't stand this inbetween phase and can't get my hair to look decent, I figured no heat styling is non-damaging and will allow my curls to come back and me to be happy, so, I'd like to go straighter but with volume without heat. I read somewhere that huge pin curls can be used to straighten hair and I would LOVE some help with this. HintOfMint suggested this brilliant idea, but anyone can help me out. I tried this on damp hair last night and the rolled up hair drooped and was too heavy to even stay up. The idea is to divide the hair into 4 sections and pin, then take out when dry for straight hair with volume, I have hardly any bobby pins so I was trying basic metal hair clips for some better holding power, even then, the sections just fell.

HintOfMint
April 15th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Aw, I'm glad I was of some help!

I use a scarf to hold all the curls in place against my head so I can wear them to sleep. If getting more bobby pins isn't an option, try to use the metal clips to hold it in for just enough time to get a scarf around your head to hold them in place.

Getting more bobby pins would definitely help. That way you can pin the curls in different places and interlock the pins to hold them down.

Good luck!

You can also use the metal clips and scarf to do hair wrapping (there are hundreds of how-to videos on YouTube), but I find that the pin curl method is way easier.

Hollyfire3
April 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Aw, I'm glad I was of some help!

I use a scarf to hold all the curls in place against my head so I can wear them to sleep. If getting more bobby pins isn't an option, try to use the metal clips to hold it in for just enough time to get a scarf around your head to hold them in place.

Getting more bobby pins would definitely help. That way you can pin the curls in different places and interlock the pins to hold them down.

Good luck!

You can also use the metal clips and scarf to do hair wrapping (there are hundreds of how-to videos on YouTube), but I find that the pin curl method is way easier.

I just commented on your profile with the same question lol! Thank you for the tips, and yes, as of tonight, getting more bobby pins isn't an option. I don't want to try wrapping because I want some volume in my hair, as said in other long and ranting threads, my hair has lost most of its curl and is just now slowly wavy again, but the pattern is so lost, I just want to go striaght for a while without dealing with heat. I actually think the porosity of my hair may be to blame for some of this no curling problem, I realized when my hair is moisturized, flat and smooth in the shower, it is curly and full when dry, but after that perfect wash, it slowly gets rougher and feels just heavier when wet and dries mostly straight and kinda flat. maybe my hair needs moisture but is so porous it only lasts so long? I just did a vinegar rinse but it still feels heavy...i will bet that in 2-3 washes, the silky when wet feeling will return and it will be perfect when dry for that one time....BS washing made it straight, using no conditioner made it straight, using protein (that dried out my hair and ruffled the cuticule) made it straight, so mabye, just maybe, the porosity is particially to blame? Any tips adivce on this? (yeah I'm highjacking my own thread, but Its not worth starting another one...)

julliams
April 15th, 2012, 06:59 PM
You know what my hair normally looks like right? Well after reading some rave reviews, I went and bought and used Dove Intensive Moisture shampoo and conditioner and this was my result after two applications with airdrying and brushing out. Such heavy cones in there I think - my hair simply went straight.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6443720745_69097af352_m.jpg

When I was at the George Michel salon in Zurich, she put these massive rollers in my hair that basically made it straight. They were the size of coke cans. I think you can buy them as magnetic rollers and then you would need those metal clips to keep them in place and then walk around like a crazy person all day until they dried. I don't think you could sleep that way.

I know this is pretty simple but have you tried damp bunning but when your hair is 99% dry? I get smoothing results with that and then my waves are very subtle and I can brush my hair.

Hollyfire3
April 15th, 2012, 07:02 PM
You know what my hair normally looks like right? Well after reading some rave reviews, I went and bought and used Dove Intensive Moisture shampoo and conditioner and this was my result after two applications with airdrying and brushing out. Such heavy cones in there I think - my hair simply went straight.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6443720745_69097af352_m.jpg

When I was at the George Michel salon in Zurich, she put these massive rollers in my hair that basically made it straight. They were the size of coke cans. I think you can buy them as magnetic rollers and then you would need those metal clips to keep them in place and then walk around like a crazy person all day until they dried. I don't think you could sleep that way.

I know this is pretty simple but have you tried damp bunning but when your hair is 99% dry? I get smoothing results with that and then my waves are very subtle and I can brush my hair.

I have tried damp bunning, I like the results, but it still gives me waves. I worry about using too many cones because I want the curl to come back some day. I want some of those huge rollers, I don't mind looking like a crazy person. Thank you for all the tips, I will use them for sure! Even coned down, your hair is stunning! I wish my hair looked like that, instead it just looks messy these days....

Miss Maisie
April 15th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I wait until my hair is about 98% dry, then pin curl it. I usually do about 7 total curls for my whole head. I wrap everything in a silk scarf, and in the morning I have more "bounce" than "curl." It's perfect!

Hollyfire3
April 15th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I wait until my hair is about 98% dry, then pin curl it. I usually do about 7 total curls for my whole head. I wrap everything in a silk scarf, and in the morning I have more "bounce" than "curl." It's perfect!

Ooo bounce sounds great! I might try more than 4 curls!

julliams
April 15th, 2012, 07:09 PM
And using Nightblooming Panacea on dry hair works really well for me too. By the way, the cones won't spoil your waves, it just weighs the hair down. As soon as I clarify the waves come back same as always. I actually thought my hair was getting straighter when I started using Kerastase. I was really sad that my waves had gone. Then I clarified and they all came back.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1026/4608351980_0a3b4c4231_m.jpg http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3374/4615011086_8e56bfb322_m.jpg

I reckon if you gave the huge rollers a dry on almost dry hair, it would work and that way you would probably only have to have them in for an hour or so and then just brush it out.

Hollyfire3
April 15th, 2012, 07:23 PM
And using Nightblooming Panacea on dry hair works really well for me too. By the way, the cones won't spoil your waves, it just weighs the hair down. As soon as I clarify the waves come back same as always. I actually thought my hair was getting straighter when I started using Kerastase. I was really sad that my waves had gone. Then I clarified and they all came back.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1026/4608351980_0a3b4c4231_m.jpg http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3374/4615011086_8e56bfb322_m.jpg

I reckon if you gave the huge rollers a dry on almost dry hair, it would work and that way you would probably only have to have them in for an hour or so and then just brush it out.

I have yet to try any of the panacea, it sounds great though! Oh good to know cones don't spoil waves, makes me feel much better! I wonder if I really could use coke can for rollers? I could use clips of some sort to hold them in, it could be like hot rollers but heatless. I hate the feeling of loosing my curls and I'm sorry you had to feel that way because of cones. For me, heat styling has permanetly done it, but i WON'T give up no matter what!

julliams
April 15th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I wonder if I really could use coke can for rollers? I could use clips of some sort to hold them in, it could be like hot rollers but heatless.

I think they were used for straightening hair (not sure of the decade). I seem to remember someone mentioning them in my Curly Girl book??? Worth a try in any case but I think you might find the magnetic rollers easier to secure in your hair.

Hollyfire3
April 15th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I think they were used for straightening hair (not sure of the decade). I seem to remember someone mentioning them in my Curly Girl book??? Worth a try in any case but I think you might find the magnetic rollers easier to secure in your hair.

Oh yeah, magnetic rollers would be easier, but I would probably try it with coke cans before I bought the magnetic rollers. The coke cans seem like they would be hard to secure...

julliams
April 15th, 2012, 10:05 PM
A hair elastic wrapped around? Maybe you could experiment with cutting the ends off and wrapping duct tape on the edges so you don't cut yourself. Then you could pin on either side. With loads of different sized cans out there the possibilities are endless...if they work.

Amazinggrace
April 16th, 2012, 02:27 AM
This is a great tutorial for coke can curlers: http://www.bellasugar.com/How-Use-Coke-Can-Curlers-Like-Gaga-8030605#How-Use-Coke-Can-Curlers-Like-Gaga-8030605?slide=0&_suid=133456478591403141680152830107

I use pin curls to get curly hair, so I don't know how those would work for straightening.

julliams
April 16th, 2012, 02:34 AM
I was thinking a little more about this and I think that the magnetic rollers would allow the hair to airdry faster. The ones the lady used at the GM salon were those velcro ones (which I was pretty surprised about). And she did put me under a dryer but then I didn't have all day to walk around in rollers. It took my hair over an hour to dry this way but it was also from pretty wet.

julliams
April 16th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Ok I just thought of something else- you could use the coke cans to get the shape, then take them out and pin them as you would a normal pin curl.

On a different note - here is a thread with some good info. Check out the first response. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60247

Hollyfire3
April 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Ok I just thought of something else- you could use the coke cans to get the shape, then take them out and pin them as you would a normal pin curl.

On a different note - here is a thread with some good info. Check out the first response. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60247

Thank you for all the help!:) I ended up not doing any pin curls last night, but tonight, I am trying one of these methods...which one...

Hollyfire3
April 16th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I was thinking a little more about this and I think that the magnetic rollers would allow the hair to airdry faster. The ones the lady used at the GM salon were those velcro ones (which I was pretty surprised about). And she did put me under a dryer but then I didn't have all day to walk around in rollers. It took my hair over an hour to dry this way but it was also from pretty wet.

Yeah, I was thinking it would take forever for my hair to dry in rollers of any sort, if the magnetic rollers help airdry faster, I will have to look into them

lapushka
April 16th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hollyfire3, this might come in handy, even though it's not a tutorial for pin curls, this will give you waves and curls (I *love* this tutorial):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NMLSUICp4&feature=plcp&context=C445cb6bVDvjVQa1PpcFPaIY3QVQ30w8l3UTQm1zGm ZCjhjea_v1M%3D

Amarante
April 16th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I would say the problem with the magnetic rollers is that they take a long time to dry, and they're more uncomfortable to sleep on. I'd try to stick with the pin curls, I think. :/

Hollyfire3
April 16th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Hollyfire3, this might come in handy, even though it's not a tutorial for pin curls, this will give you waves and curls (I *love* this tutorial):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NMLSUICp4&feature=plcp&context=C445cb6bVDvjVQa1PpcFPaIY3QVQ30w8l3UTQm1zGm ZCjhjea_v1M%3D

Oh! I LOVE this tutorial too! I have tried it once with great results!:)