PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for workout hair?

Corrina777
April 15th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I apologize if this is something that's been asked before, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with my hair when I train. I do Tang Soo Do 4-5 days a week, and I've been just putting my hair in a ponytail, but my hair has reached a length where I'm having problems with the ponytail getting in the way (there's a lot of jumping and spinning my ponytail ends up in my eyes). My hair has long layers and the bottom is U-shaped, so it ranges from bout APL to BSL (3a/f/iii). I'm looking for a way to secure my hair so it's out of my face, stays in place with intense activity, and will work whether I'm wearing my sparring helmet or not. Any suggestions?? TIA!

Lyytikka
April 15th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Dutch braid!
It holds hair better than french braid. And it's not hard either when you get used to it :)

catamonica
April 15th, 2012, 05:50 PM
You could wear it in a single braid or pin it up in a bun.

HintOfMint
April 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM
This may be too elaborate for your tastes, but hear me out.

A modified French or Dutch crown braid. Part your hair on the side and start doing a french or dutch braid along your hairline. Continue below your ear, along your nape, up over your other ear and then when you hit your parting, you can continue french/dutch braiding with the hair that remains, or just take all the remaining hair and do an english braid tail and then pin that into a circle following the french/dutch braid.

It would be flat enough against your head that you could wear a sparring helmet and you wouldn't have to worry about a tail or braid flying out.

Just a thought. Although, if you have to do rolls and the like, you may not be comfortable having bobby pins against your head. But in any case, I hope you find a style that works.

torrilin
April 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I think I'd probably try a Gibson Tuck first, or possibly a French/peacock twist. Both styles are pretty close to the head, and they tend to work better with more textured hair. My hair just laughs at the idea of either style :D and pretty much always has.

The big issue you'll find is that iii thickness makes some sorts of styles difficult. Buns in particular will tend to work better when sectioned, and it may not be possible to get your hair to work with both a bun and a helmet. I have trouble as a ii!

My go to helmet hairstyles all involve braids. Plain English braid, French braid, single or double. Lace braiding is also a big deal. For me, Dutch braids are more of a pain in the butt to do, so I don't use them... no knock against Dutch, just I am not yet at a place where I'm really comfortable doing it on my own head. A lace crown braid is very pretty and secure whether you do it French or Dutch style, but it also is something of a pain in the butt if your hair doesn't section well.

I find in general if an updo works well for sleeping, it works great under a helmet.

Corrina777
April 15th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Thank you so much! I looked up the braids (I've never attempted braiding my own hair) and I'm trying to get the hang of it. Bobby pins shouldn't be an issue- no rolling and (in theory) it's only light contact.

Corrina777
April 15th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I hadn't even considered the thickness of my hair as an issue- I was more concerned about the curl because I'm wary about combing my hair after it's dry. I might try packing a spray bottle to dampen my hair first and see if that makes it easier.

torrilin
April 15th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I very rarely use an actual comb on my hair. Mostly, it's finger combed. I don't even use a comb for sectioning, just fingers. When I do break out a comb, it's for getting rid of shed hairs. I can't always do that as efficiently as necessary with fingers alone.

Chances are you can work with your natural texture to get your hair to section for braids. If you think about it, curls are small natural sections anyway. Also, in most situations, I put my hair up dripping wet. Like a lot of people with fine hair, my hair is very slippery and fragile. If I put it up wet and soaked in conditioner, it minimizes how much I handle it and how much it can break.

Obviously, mileage can and does vary. But I've stolen tons of curly styling techniques wholesale :D. You'll already have a decent idea of what works for your hair, so stick with what works.

Laylah
April 15th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Another vote for dutch braids here! I love double dutch braids for exercise. I think they're easier than french braids and they hold a lot better, especially at the nape area. Since your hair has layers it will be easier to do two braids instead of one. Dutch/french braids are also better for layers since shorter sections can be secured into the braid more easily.

Tisiloves
April 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
If you want to French, which might be easier for you, but don't want the poofy neck bit try Torrinpaige's French Braid Revisited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC_unKDz_JA