PDA

View Full Version : They don't understand...

CurlySasha
April 15th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hi all! Have you ever had nasty things happen to you, either about your hair, or hairtoys, or anything else?
I wore a hairstick for the first time to school the other day. I did get a few compliments ("It looks so pretty!" "You look awesome!")
A few mean girl made uncalled for comments ("Did you lose your other chopstick?" said maliciously)
A teacher even said "Hey! Chopstick! Stop talking! (I wasn't)
I was eating lunch and felt someone touch my hair. NO ONE touches my hair if I don't let you. I whipped my head around and felt my hair tumble down my shoulders. A mean girl was holding my hairstick, and she said "You have a stick in your hair."
I was so incredibly close to slapping her, or yelling at her, or something. My face turned all red and my fists clenched. Luckily, I had the self-restraint to only yell "I had no idea" and grab it back.

PS: Do any of you know where to purchase VO5 in Montreal?

ShelleyJane
April 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I remember once in my pre-teens I clipped my bangs back on one side with a little bow, and all the mean girls made fun of me for wearing a hair clip on just one side (little did they know..? I was ahead of my fashion curve).

The first time I dyed my hair too... I took it to auburn, and the mean girls laughed and asked me why I would want to be a "ginger". Then Harry Potter came out on movies and I got made fun of for wanting to be a "Weasely". Luckily by that point I was at Book 3 or something, and knew that Ron turns out to be cool.

It's not your fault if you're ahead of the trends ;)

AlannaMaria
April 15th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Wow, the girl who took your stick out was a poophead.

I'd say focus on the positive comments and try to ignore the mean ones. As long as you like how you look, that's all that matters. I'm sure your hair looked great!

PurplePenguin
April 15th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I'm really sorry for your experience, sometimes girls can be so mean to each other for no reason. It really irks me that somebody could be so rude and the teacher was uncalled for! Are hair sticks not a common thing where you are from? I used to see girls with them in their hair all the time in school, I remember because I was so envious of their ability to use such pretty hair ornaments. The girls were probably being rude because they were jealous. Don't let them get you down sweety!

As for the Vo5 I'm from the U.S. but I would recommend looking on walmart.com or amazon.com to see if you could have some shipped to you if you can't find it in stores up there. Its typically about 1 U.S. Dollar here so don't let some place say you need to pay too much more than that per bottle. I would suggest buying quite a few bottles at once to make up for the shipping charges...then again if you haven't ever used it maybe you shouldn't because you never know how your hair will react to it. I wish you the best of luck! I hope you have an awesome week!

Lucky_Lucy
April 15th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Argh, I know how that feels. Some time ago, when I had long hair and I had a hairstick in my hair, a girl passed by me and just took it out of my hair like that, saying 'Hey, you know, a pencil would have looked better.' It's not as if I didn't know the girl, but I was still upset.
You should just ignore anyone who says anything mean to you, especially when it's about your hair. They do it because the're jealous and they wish they had hair like yours. And if they say anything about your hair accessories is because they find them interesting. Mean people are mean, they never change, so don't be upset just because of them!

spidermom
April 15th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I was the kid everybody picked on at school. It didn't matter what I did or didn't do.

School age kids are monsters.

MrsGuther
April 15th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I was the kid everybody picked on at school. It didn't matter what I did or didn't do.

I agree. School age kids can be really hateful and mean. I was bullied when I was in school. I feel your pain on that one for sure!

Dragon Faery
April 15th, 2012, 03:27 PM

This is so true, unfortunately. Be yourself as much as possible; in 10 years' time you'll be much happier than any of them, and you'll have way fewer regrets. But if you have a hairstick you particularly want to keep, I'd recommend not taking that one to school. Just in case. ;)

pepperminttea
April 15th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I'm sorry your cohorts are being idiots. :( Maybe it'd be worth trying something more difficult to remove, like flexi-8s, barrettes, or Quattro double-end sticks? (There must be more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.)

Agreed. The best part of school is that it eventually ends.

racrane
April 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I understand and sympathize. School can be a horrible place, it was for me and many others. Just do what you like and try to ignore everyone else. But you'll find you're not alone in this!

I wish I could help you with the VO5 but I don't know. :(

hellucy
April 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM

Me too! I guess some of us just don't quite 'fit' with everybody else's idea of the norm & you know what I wouldn't ever have wanted to be ordinary, mundane or boring.
@CurlySasha Be who you are & don't let other narrow minded mean people put you off expressing yourself, you will not make yourself happy conforming just to please others.

luxepiggy
April 15th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Sorry that you had some bad experiences debuting your first hairstick! :grouphug:

I was eating lunch and felt someone touch my hair. NO ONE touches my hair if I don't let you. I whipped my head around and felt my hair tumble down my shoulders. A mean girl was holding my hairstick, and she said "You have a stick in your hair."
I was so incredibly close to slapping her, or yelling at her, or something. My face turned all red and my fists clenched. Luckily, I had the self-restraint to only yell "I had no idea" and grab it back.

The best way to stop this kind of behaviour is to react with disdainful nonchalance, as if it's a minor annoyance that's not worth your time. They're trying to get a rise out of you, because they find it entertaining to see if they can provoke you to some kind of angry or upset reaction. People who react with nonchalance are boring to tease. For example, if you encounter a repeat of the situation you described, you can turn calmly, take back the hairstick, and say something like, "well, yes, that's generally where hairsticks go," before firmly turning your back and carrying on with whatever you were doing.

Take it from a former mean-girl (who used to use actual chopsticks in her hair, and heaven help anyone who dared touch them) who has since reformed herself and is now a nice-piggy (^(oo)^)v

Long_hair_bear
April 15th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I get different comments at my COLLEGE about my hair toys. Typically, I wear sticks, but every now and then I wear a mairzydozy fork. One girl told me they looked like they were from a time past,which I didn't know wether to take as a compliment or insult. I mostly get positive comments thoug. :)

Thenolegirl
April 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Oh, don't listen to them at all!

I was horribly picked on for most of my public school life (luckily I was able to go to college in tenth grade to get away from those people).

Most likely, they are jealous of your beautiful hair. Don't let their insecure comments affect how good you felt about yourself that morning. People are stupid. Middle/high school girls are STUPID lol They will grow out of it, and if they don't - what a miserable life they will have.

Cheer up! Wear your hair with pride the way YOU want it. =)

Maiken
April 15th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Those girls are just jealouse about yur ability to grow long, beautiful hair. And that you're not afraid to stand out with a not so common hairstyle. Girls like those try so bad to fit in, and pick on everyone who are not like them. Later in life those girls wont be the succesfull and popular women. Just straighten you back and remember that they are not worthy of you even speaking to them.

CurlySasha
April 15th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks to everyone who took the time to say such kind words :) Next time I will definitely try to react more calmly; I was just so upset!
I did get a lot of compliments on it (it was just a pretty chopstick, haha)
Thanks again! :D

long&blonde
April 15th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I agree, the years of being in school are awful because of how mean kids are.
If you aren't a mean kid, just quiet, and want to be left alone, you get bullied
. I'm sure your hair looked beautiful. Hang in there. Its much easier once you graduate and escape that world.

gabee
April 15th, 2012, 05:19 PM

I've only found V05 in Canada once, outside of Toronto (I live in Montreal also!). I have yet to find it in Montreal, and even Suave Naturals is becoming very rare. Its not called V05 however, it goes under the name Alberto Balsam, but they have the same kinds and same ingredients as the American V05.

I bought the strawberries and cream and the clarifying kiwi at the grocery store Highland Farms. I don't know if there are any Highland Farms in Quebec...

ETA: I just checked, and there are no highland farms outside of the Greater Toronto Area... Oh well... Please let us know if you find any!

CurlySasha
April 15th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I've only found V05 in Canada once, outside of Toronto (I live in Montreal also!). I have yet to find it in Montreal, and even Suave Naturals is becoming very rare.
ETA: I just checked, and there are no highland farms outside of the Greater Toronto Area... Oh well... Please let us know if you find any!

Do you know where to find Suave Naturals? I really will try to find VO5, and I'll let you know if I do!

gabee
April 15th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Do you know where to find Suave Naturals? I really will try to find VO5, and I'll let you know if I do!

I used to buy it at Jean Coutu, but they don't seem to carry it anymore...

CurlySasha
April 15th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I used to buy it at Jean Coutu, but they don't seem to carry it anymore...

Poo, I wanted to try Suave Naturals too! Canada sucks for haircare :(

cwarren
April 15th, 2012, 05:38 PM
People are so superficial in high school. ESPECIALLY women. I had the uppity girls yell "Madame C.J. Walker" at me in high school when I use to wear my hair natural. I'd just flip them off and keep it moving.

You might have to order it online (and order a lot to save on shipping) to get it where you are... Amazon has quiet a few vendors selling it at a decent price.

Mrs.Witherup
April 15th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Man kids are so mean! I don't remember any hair comments off the top of my head but the thing that bothered me most was in elementary school, I was taller than everyone else, really skinny and really white and I got called spaghetti legs a lot. It bothered me so much I didnt want to go back to school, but I started ignoring everyone and doing my own thing :D no matter how unpopular it was. I wasn't concerned with popularity, I just wanted to be me. I developed a roll-with-the-punches attitude towards life and it has helped me immensly as an adult. And I am very happy with the person I am today.

I dread when my kids are in school! I am very much a momma bear type, don't mess with my babies! :mad: I'm sure the school will get tired of me quickly, because you can bet I WILL be down there, lol!

Katleen
April 16th, 2012, 12:54 AM
When I see the popular kids from my school now (20 years later), they have all morphed into the same boring people.
The most interesting people I know were all bullied or ignored in high school...

Stay yourself!!!

thirstylocks
April 16th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Oh wow, that sounds a lot like harassment! I was teased in school too, but nobody ever touched my belongings. If she does that again, I would definitely take action. I would NOT have kept my cool like you!

sfgirl
April 16th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I bleached my hair and everyone said it was weird, because I didn't just do highlights. Three years later when everyone was 16 they were doing the same thing as me, except mine looked way better. :)

Mononoke
April 16th, 2012, 04:31 AM

Me too. I usually got comments about being ugly, but I also got mean hair comments after having dyed it red once. Most of the time kids just liked to pick on me for being a loner and not having friends in class.

jacqueline101
April 16th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I was picked on in school all the time.

mzBANGBANG
April 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM
With stories like the OPs it makes me reminisce... that anytime a girl has had a problem with my hair, there's always been a boy who rather liked it. What a coincidence! ;)

tigereye
April 16th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Maybe try to find something that is more difficult to get out. I didn't have many problems transitioning to wearing hairsticks, because I put my hair up with pencils for most of my high-school life, to keep it out of the way (I did a lot of lab classes, and my hair was always waist-length or longer, so I needed to keep it up). I honestly had more trouble with keeping my brothers quick fingers from pulling them out than anyone else.

I find that anything without a regular shape tends to be more difficult for other people to get out. I find my Ravenscroft moon often confuses people, as do my spin-pins. I wish someone would make a spin-pin-type fork. No-one would be able to pull that out. :D Also, if your hair is long enough, perhaps you could try and find some styles that won't fall down as soon as you remove the stick. I find a nautilus can stay up by itself, but I always have a stick or fork in it anyway. It tends to stay when I take the stick out, and I need to give it an extra little tug to make it come undone. I think it loses the effect for the bullies when the hair doesn't need to be redone.

I was bullied too, but it was more verbal/psychological. No-one ever touched me. They gave up after first year at high school, because it was obvious I didn't care, and would do what I liked regardless. A lot of the bullies across the school left when they turned 16, and most have turned into boring people, with seemingly not much to do except go on facebook. The rest of them seemed to at least become normal people, and everyone just did their own thing, so my last two years of school was much easier.

Don't worry. School doesn't last forever.

Jing
April 16th, 2012, 09:01 AM
The most effective way to make people stop targeting you is to not give them the reaction they're looking for. Their behaviour has nothing to do with you anyway; it's all about how it makes them feel (i.e. superior, which is reassuring in the face of the threat to normalcy that your unusual hairtoy poses). Either ignore them entirely or give them a look of pity - one should really feel sorry for people who are so insecure they need everyone to look and act the same to feel safe.

ladyshep
April 16th, 2012, 10:18 AM
That's too bad. I wish that people weren't so darn mean. If anyone sticks out and looks different, people tend to point that out. But the funny thing is people say "be yourself" "be unique" "set your own style" and then when a person does gets picked on. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you did get good compiments. Isn't it funny all of the negative stuff seems to cloud out all of the positive things? Just concentrate on the good things people said.

P.S. I think you would have to purchase VO5 online. I think it is only sold in the U.S.

heidi w.
April 16th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Hi all! Have you ever had nasty things happen to you, either about your hair, or hairtoys, or anything else?
I wore a hairstick for the first time to school the other day. I did get a few compliments ("It looks so pretty!" "You look awesome!")
A few mean girl made uncalled for comments ("Did you lose your other chopstick?" said maliciously)
A teacher even said "Hey! Chopstick! Stop talking! (I wasn't)

There's always a wise-a$$ in the middle of it. Get used to it. But it will get a bit better when you grow older. Mean people suck.

heidi w.

MissAlida
April 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Ignore the haters. Look trough them, as if they were made of glass. Pretend not to hear them. If you don't get mad because of their comments, they will eventually tire, and find someone else to harass.I know it sounds like the worst advice you can get,because doing nothing while other people insult you is not easy. Concentrate on all the nice comments you've received, and you'll see, that once out of school for good, life will get better. Hugs.;)

Mrs.Witherup
April 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM
The most effective way to make people stop targeting you is to not give them the reaction they're looking for. Their behaviour has nothing to do with you anyway; it's all about how it makes them feel (i.e. superior, which is reassuring in the face of the threat to normalcy that your unusual hairtoy poses). Either ignore them entirely or give them a look of pity - one should really feel sorry for people who are so insecure they need everyone to look and act the same to feel safe.

Ditto this. Well said.

Sammich
April 17th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Kids are so cruel. They still are cruel even in college! I was bullied heavily from primary school to high school, college? I was fed up, and defended myself.

That's life I suppose, adults can be childish too.

Ignore them. I don't bother with people anymore and I'm happier.

AngryVikingGirl
April 17th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Focus on the positive. Part of the negative ones are out of jealousy. Take them as positive comments too. When I went to primary school, a girl in the class always said 'You wanna get the guys' attention' if i did ANYTHING to my hair except for ponytailing. So I didn't wear it down or anything ever. When my pony was upper on my head accidentally, in a more fashionable position, she commented immediately. Ridiculous. And by the end of 8th grade she became the biggest b*tch of the class.

Sunshineliz
May 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Bleh, in my case it was the middle-school girls that were the worst. Remember that other people did compliment you.

I agree with luxepiggy (although my story is from the other side:)) If you act like you don't care and don't rise to the occasion, they'll get bored. Better yet, try to really not care. I was happiest in the last years of high school when I truly didn't care what anyone thought anymore. (It helped though that most of my classes were AP or electives by then and I spent my time with my fellow nerds.:D Oh, and that we didn't have to eat lunch in the cafeteria so you didn't have to be with anyone you didn't want to there either.)

But that teacher was out of line. They should use kids' names.