PDA

View Full Version : Heavier topped hair toy help

CarpeDM
April 15th, 2012, 12:00 PM
For all those hair toy experts out there I have a question. I have a few hair toys that are heavier at the top - some beaded hair sticks and some heavier ended hair forks - that tend to fall down after a little while. So I was wondering is there a trick in getting them to stay in place? TIA

Kittyxx
April 15th, 2012, 12:05 PM
a rubber band halfway down the length would probably give it some hold [one of those small ones intended for hair]
but I guess how will it worked would deped on the weight

ravenreed
April 15th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I use stabilizing hair pins. If my bun won't sag or move, neither will my hair toy. I have also resorted to starting my bun with a pony tail, using a hair band.

Seeshami
April 15th, 2012, 01:50 PM
All hair sticks will have a point of balance like swords do. You have to find the point of balance and make sure that is where the stick is secured to the hair. Some times it's in top third of the stick closest to the heavy stuff. Sometimes lower sometimes higher. Only real way to tell is to play with them.

lapushka
April 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Try and stick them in your bun vertically? Other than that I have no answer, really. :o

papera
April 15th, 2012, 01:57 PM
*subscribe* I have the same problem with one of my favourite hair sticks

CarpeDM
April 15th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I use stabilizing hair pins. If my bun won't sag or move, neither will my hair toy. I have also resorted to starting my bun with a pony tail, using a hair band.

Can I ask what type of stabilizing hair pins you use?

CarpeDM
April 15th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Try and stick them in your bun vertically? Other than that I have no answer, really. :o

This is what I normally do (any other way tends to hurt my head) and they just slip and head south after about an hour :(

tyrant1100
April 15th, 2012, 03:12 PM
For me, overcompensating for eventual sag, as in a Chinese bun or the like, usually helps. Instead of putting the stick in horizontally, I put it in at a slight diagonal angle. I also allow the stick to be in a bit further than normal to reduce the slack on the heavy end. Yes, this results in more of the pointy end to stick out but it does keep the stick in place without tugging my hair. Hope this helps.

luxepiggy
April 15th, 2012, 04:10 PM
What types of updos do you normally wear? Have you noticed more slippage with particular styles? I find that my top-heavy toys work best with flipped-type buns, where you start the bun fairly low, then flip all or part of it upwards before securing.

Also, if you are inserting the sticks perfectly vertically, you may actually achieve more stable results by placing them at a bit of an angle, rotating the top of the stick in the opposite direction from the direction the bun would turn when unraveling. The idea is to prevent the axis of the hairstick from aligning with the pull of gravity, KWIM? (^(oo)^)v

Here's a typical style & insertion angle that works well with my top-heaviest hair toy (there's a solid, heavy bit of metal supporting all the crystals, and two skinny little prongs - you can just see the end of one prong sticking out at the lower left).
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/bunthatgotawaywm.jpg

Valfreyja
April 15th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Agree with luxepiggy, placing them at an angle works, as does cheating with long bobby pins. :D

Long_hair_bear
April 15th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I definitely have this issue with a gorgeous pair of sticks I bought too, ms. Carpe. I'll be watching for suggestions too.