PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on styles for growing out bangs/fringe

bunzfan
April 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I have been growing out my full fringe for a while but because my hair is wavy it looks awful it curls up and looks totally stupid and i sold my ghd's a few years ago so i can't straighten it.

I tried a braided hair band today that looked ok which i was surprised about as i have a long thin face can anyone think of anything else i can do i do like having it off my face. Oh and i have a high forehead to so no scraped back styles my fringe touches my nose.

HintOfMint
April 15th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Do you still have a blowdryer? A blowdryer and a brush/comb/BBB can help you straighten it.

Also, sometimes I do a twist along my hairline to pin back my bangs. Kind of like a cornrow or braided hairband, only you're twisting it. Pin it with bobby pins and you're set.

Also, as it dries make sure you keep sweeping it off your face or pin it back so that it blends in with the rest of your hair and stays in that pattern once dried.

The longer your bangs get, the easier it is to get them to play nice. Now that my bangs are longer (what was I thinking, having shorter bangs???) I don't have to style them as much, I can just fuss with them a little as they airdry and scrape them into the rest of my hair.

dulce
April 15th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Check out utube,just put the same title in and there's lots of different,great ideas.

bunzfan
April 15th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the great ideas hintofmint, dulce i tried that not many came up.

JellyBene
April 15th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I love my fringe but whenever the weather is too windy to wear them down or I am just tired of them, I twist them up the the side and clip them that way

spidermom
April 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I used to do a lace braid across the top of my head just above my forehead. Of course it got messy after awhile with short ends poking out.

MaryMarx
April 16th, 2012, 08:23 AM
This one works for me! You don't have to make it that tight if you want it to cover your forehead.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_26yvOW5x3Hw/SKDVIdNu2II/AAAAAAAABHQ/FZL3LDrts8U/s400/rolling2.jpg

EtherealDoll
April 16th, 2012, 08:32 AM
I often clip my bangs to the side. You could also try to dutch braid or french braid your bangs if they're long enough.

tinti
April 16th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Have you tried tiny cornrows or twistbacks? What I did while rowing my bangs back was I made 3 kinda poofy french or dutch braids going backwards from the hairline and then fasten them with bobby pins at the crown. Or just one if I was in a hurry. Then I would leave the hair at the temples down because my temples are huge ;)

buttercupmcgee
April 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I rely on these:

http://juliemichaelsontraining.com/images/skinny+pirouette+headbands.jpg

(or some variation therein)

You can tuck the bangs under the strap, and smoosh it around under your other hair so no pokey bits stick out. I wear these with my hair back, up, down, etc....

The thicker variation is especially easy:

http://s7.orientaltrading.com/is/image/OrientalTrading/48_7452?$FULL_SIZE$

All of these can be found at the drugstore for less than $5

dulce
April 16th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I tried utube the other day as I'm debating growing out my own bangs and got about 5 different ideas.Check again.

ladylowtide
April 16th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Be gentle on them so you can grow those littles sh*ts out faster. Seriously it will take a couple of months to get um past chin but then you can do a bunch a stuff to keep em outta your face. I like to avoid using clips or things that damage them.

1. Bitty hair fork: When my bangs were a cm longer than the length you have them I would twist them up with a section of the hair on top of my head, wind it in a little cinnabun esque spiral, put the fork through the middle of all the swirly layers, and flip it over in the opposite between the minnabun and your scalp, and voila! You have front bang poof without using any bobby pins and what not. Also takes care of annoying face framing (aka: face torture) layers. You could do this with a two prong hair fork that has between a 3 inch and 4.5 inch functional length. This is my favorite one, and when you take it down it makes the front top of your hair have a nice wave (if you are a straighty like me)

2. French braid: part you hair to one side. French braid your bangs taking the extra sections only from your annoying bangs or face layers, not the side of the braid towards the back of your head, once you get over one ear you can braid regularly for a bit, all the way down, band it, bobby it, whatever floats your boat. Pain in the butt to get started but it gets those things out of your face in a cute way with minimal damage.

Good luck! :D

Anywhere
April 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I tried utube the other day as I'm debating growing out my own bangs and got about 5 different ideas.Check again.

5 is like... nothing. o-o

I do the twist thing that MaryMarx posted. In fact, I'm doing it right now ;)

My bangs are side bangs, randing from the tip of my nose to chin, so I can sometimes pin curl them, like this: http://h3rs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/pin-curls1.png. I'm not sure if you'd be able to manage that with blunt nose-length bangs though.

I'm not sure how fond of the pouf you are, since it's kind of slicked back. I have a large protruding forehead and I got compliments the one time I did a pouf though.

Jessykins
May 23rd, 2012, 05:52 AM
Well ive had a thick blunt fringe pretty much my whole life, but the past few years ive attemped to grow it out several times and only got it a bit past my nose and cut it back in. its currently past my chin now though as i really want it gone and hopefully grown out fully in a few years time. but this time growing it out i used a good few styles where as before i only knew how to do a ponytail and the english braid...that was all XD. the best hairstyles o get them out your face when its quite short is to simply bobby pin it to the top of your head. then as it gets long enough to braid i french or lace braid it to one side and secure it above my ear with more bobby pins. then when its longer still a nice hairstyle is to part it in the middle and braid each half into a longer piece of hair and make a sort of halo and tie it around the back for a nice half updo. mines been long enough for a while now to make a high pony and gather all my hair including my fringe and just get it out my face. it was last summer when i cut it above my eyes so its just gunna take a lot of patience :) if all else fails, shove it back with a hairband. i did that for months until i started to practice actually styling my hair and learning to braid

Micayla47
May 23rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
i have the exact same issues as the op (growing out bangs and large forehead) so thanks for all the tips :)

LadyTheta
May 28th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I would suggest trying to use lovely hair combs, which can either hold the growing-out-banges to the side, or poof them up a bit forward for a little side/forehead coverage.
Hair combs were a vital part of growing out my wurly hair from "short" to below shoulder length.

KwaveT
May 28th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I don't want to be pinning and clipping my hair to cause damage so I came up with my own way to my near chin length side sweeping bangs to quit falling all the way in front of my face. I just simply and equally amount of hair right behind those bang hair and just twist the two strands together for about four or five rotations and then let the hair loose. My hair has so much wave and curl in it that the two strands stay twisted together the rest of the day without even tieing it. I lay the twisted hair on the leg of my glasses. It looks a little obtuse but it gets the hair out of my way until those bangs get well into my neck region.

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
Once when I grew mine out I used old fashioned hair pins to hold mine to the side of my head.